PDA

View Full Version : Transplant Opinions

Brian
6th March 2007, 01:31 PM
Hey guys!

I need some advice on a possible engine transplant. I have an 04 Astra G with a Z18XE engine. But I would like it to have more power! I have an exhaust and extractors but I've resigned to the fact that this engine is not going to make a great deal of power NA. And it isn't designed to be turboed, so I have few options...

Selling the car is also not an option.

So I basically want to know if there is anyone over here that has done a conversion on the G. I realise that ZLETs are hard to come by, so here is what I think would be my options:
2.2L transplant,
2.0L turbo transplant,
Vectra V6 transplant (3.2L?)
Or possibly a transplant from another GM company, like a 2.3L turbo Saab engine?
Turboing the 1.8L

I am not going to do the conversion anytime soon, I am just wondering because I don't want to spend money on other mods that I would have to get rid of or change in the future anyway.

So does anyone have any ideas?

blueraven
6th March 2007, 02:02 PM
an SR20 would fit quite easy ;)
a C20Let from a calibra turbo would fit as well, but they are very rare.

or you could always fit an LS1 V8 :D there is a guy doing it at the moment in the uk.

mr corsa
6th March 2007, 02:03 PM
[quote=Brian;210167]Hey guys!

I need some advice on a possible engine transplant. I have an 04 Astra G with a Z18XE engine. And it isn't designed to be turboed, so I have few options...

:wtf:

Brian
6th March 2007, 02:11 PM
[quote=Brian;210167]Hey guys!

I need some advice on a possible engine transplant. I have an 04 Astra G with a Z18XE engine. And it isn't designed to be turboed, so I have few options...

:wtf:

Yeah, but your 1.8 isn't a regular 1.8 though...

And with the SR20 and the C20LET, doesn't the engine have to be newer than the car it's being transplanted into to be legal?

mr corsa
6th March 2007, 02:13 PM
[quote=mr corsa;210175]

Yeah, but your 1.8 isn't a regular 1.8 though...

And with the SR20 and the C20LET, doesn't the engine have to be newer than the car it's being transplanted into to be legal?

well it did start off as a n/a motor same as yours

Brian
6th March 2007, 02:31 PM
[quote=Brian;210180]

well it did start off as a n/a motor same as yours

Don't get me wrong, I have definately thought about putting on a turbo, but a lot more money would be involved with upgrading the internals etc. than what it would cost to get a similar power figure on an engine designed to be turboed wouldn't it?

And if you don't mind me asking, how much has your turbo upgrade cost? Just curious as the Dbilas kit costs $12,000 and it's only good for 240 Hp.

mr corsa
6th March 2007, 02:32 PM
[quote=mr corsa;210181]

Don't get me wrong, I have definately thought about putting on a turbo, but a lot more money would be involved with upgrading the internals etc. than what it would cost to get a similar power figure on an engine designed to be turboed wouldn't it?

And if you don't mind me asking, how much has your turbo upgrade cost? Just curious as the Dbilas kit costs $12,000 and it's only good for 240 Hp.

youre better off getting a dbilas kit

Brian
6th March 2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, that's why I was looking into the transplant as I know that other engines are capable of more than 240 HP, I mean the VXR is nearly there stock!

Dave
6th March 2007, 07:41 PM
Im intereseted to know exactly what youve done MR Corsa, and what figgures she puts out now :cool: Plus how much cash it cost you

pred8r
6th March 2007, 08:28 PM
what about a bolt on supercharger? (something along the lines of a CRS V6 commy kit)

auzvectra
6th March 2007, 10:28 PM
hhmm, i dont see a kit that lower hp rating being that expensive!!!
maybe the next kit project ;).
well the intercooler kit is $900, so there's a start :D.
my thoughts, will a ZLET/ZLER turbo bolt on???

so where are you neway?

digifish
6th March 2007, 11:36 PM
Hey guys!

So I basically want to know if there is anyone over here that has done a conversion on the G. I realise that ZLETs are hard to come by, so here is what I think would be my options:
2.2L transplant,
2.0L turbo transplant,
Vectra V6 transplant (3.2L?)
Or possibly a transplant from another GM company, like a 2.3L turbo Saab engine?
Turboing the 1.8L

So does anyone have any ideas?

Rules of thumb -

It usually makes more sense to buy a quick car to start with than to make one quick (i.e total $$$ spent, longevity, resale). I am deadly serious, save up for a quick car and just live with what you have now. It will be a lot less heartache. How about a 2nd hand Peugeot GTI?

If you are going to run a turbo, transplant an engine that was designed for the turbo and boost you will run (i.e reliability/longevity) and do it as a unit if possible Engine/Gearbox/ECU etc. That suggests the 2.0 turbo.

The Vectra engine will be too heavy, you could do it but the other engineering required to get the car to handle would not be worth it. Again $$$ and heartache.

BUT again I would stress...buy a quick car don't try to make one, unless it's a hobby and you have the $$$, which you don't seem to have at the moment. When all is said and done and you add up what people (end up) spending making ordinary cars go fast, you can always buy a factory quickie for the same (or less).

digifish

auzvectra
6th March 2007, 11:45 PM
depends who does the work :), and how crazy u want to go, there is a big step up in price there in the middle somewhere.

Shaun
7th March 2007, 12:21 AM
Brian you could always buy my SRi T Astra G if you like. Its for Sale.
ave you alot of time.

Dave
7th March 2007, 01:27 AM
Intercooler $900
Pipes ?
Turbo ?
Electronic goodies ?
Internals ?
Head work ?
Labor ?
Fuel pump ?
Injectors ?
Up rated brakes ?

Prob alot ive missed.

Spose stock internals would handle 5-6 psi without going bang.

auzvectra
7th March 2007, 07:08 AM
most of these turbo kit's wouldnt include any internals which is why they are very limited with their hp rateing.

thats all i'm saying, u could run 10psi off stock internals on most cars, remember these turbo's arent huge, there is a difference.

platypus
7th March 2007, 07:20 AM
i would think that the saab engine should fit - then you've got a gearbox to worry about - having said that - i have a c18sel which has a saab auto box in it...

but i would get a new car, as in the end you will have an over powered FWD - really not that great a thing to be driving around, at least in RWD the car should be a lot more managable - also worth noting that most states won't let you run an older engine in a newer car

Brian
7th March 2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

Ok, now to answer some of your questions. I'm from Newcastle. I have had the car since it was given to me new on my 18th birthday, so I don't want to get rid of it as it has the sentimental value, plus I know everything that has been done to this car right done to the number of times it has been polished! I realise I can go and buy a quicker car, but take into account the fact that the car is only 27 months old. It'd probably cost me $12,000 to buy a better car. I know I'd get leather seats and all the other jazz but I'd really prefer to keep my car :o .

The other thing is that, unfortunately, the Dbilas kit really is that expensive, and I believe that price is only for the kit, not the fitting. Shame really, seems like a good piece of gear.

With the gearbox, I'm even considering putting in a 6-speed from the new AH Sri if I can anyway, but whatever engine went in the gearbox would follow. I also realise that I'd have to get an engine from 05 onwards.

So yeah that brings me to either turboing or transplanting. Is there noone in Oz that has done a transplant?

rjastra
7th March 2007, 09:34 AM
So yeah that brings me to either turboing or transplanting. Is there noone in Oz that has done a transplant?

Wouldn't it need to be emission compliant? What about insurance?

so I don't want to get rid of it as it has the sentimental value

Well, you don't have any issues in potentially buggering it....

Brian
7th March 2007, 10:43 AM
Well, you don't have any issues in potentially buggering it....

Wouldn't be buggered if it was done properly though.

xplosv57
7th March 2007, 11:28 AM
When i first bought my astra, i considered turboing it too, by the end of it, it was really not worth it!!! If the car is only 27 months old, and if its in good condition, why not sell it, and put the $12000 from turboing yours into buying one already done, a new SRi-T!!!

Dave
8th March 2007, 01:00 AM
Individuality ? Id like to do it and keep my 1.8 looking complety stock, itd be one hell fo a suprise for the dickhead in the commadore beside you !

Apex
8th March 2007, 06:46 AM
I would try and find an Astra G Sri Turbo front cut. I believe it would be the easiest rout to follow as you’ll have all you need to start with.:)

I have force fed a modern engine that was NA and found it to be stressful as they can be a real task to get running properly/safely, the car it was of the road quarter of the time I owned it.:(

Brian
8th March 2007, 07:17 AM
Individuality ? Id like to do it and keep my 1.8 looking complety stock, itd be one hell fo a suprise for the dickhead in the commadore beside you !

That's pretty much why I'd wanna do it too, just to be a bit different.

But in the end I guess the one thing to come out of this thread is that it is not really a worthwhile exercise either transplanting or turboing. I'll probably just end up getting it chipped and mabye a few other mods for the 1.8. Thanks for your help anyway!

I am a little suprised there is noone in Australia with a transplant in their car. Is that because of the laws we have in that the engine must be newer than the car and all that or are good zlets just too hard to find?

auzvectra
8th March 2007, 09:27 AM
I am a little suprised there is noone in Australia with a transplant in their car.

thats just because i didnt buy a 1.8L :D.
i did this to my pulsar years ago, basically the same motor. i got the same opinions as u have here, it cant be done, blah blah blah (not having a go at any1), i even got told that i would blow my motor as soon as i turned the key becuse it wasnt tuned for it, well i did a few other things to correct that.

i did it, it worked fine, run a lil rich till on boost but when it hit boost, damn it went :).

the only issue i had with it was i couldnt keep the cv joints in, too much power for the box design, just spat the cv joints out :(.

considering there is some1 on here (in the uk i think) talking about doing it to thier x20xev vectra, i'm sure it would be much the same possibilities for the 1.8L.

but on the tuning front, were working on it ;)

platypus
10th March 2007, 11:06 AM
i don't think many people said it can't be done - i think it was more pointed out that it is rather cost prohibitive - watching pulsars, astinas and corollas all get the conversions done (funnily with turbo engines from the japansese variants) they all tend to have 1 common weak point -

their drivetrains, and the short blocks... the whole front end needs to be worked on and its never as simple as just dropping it in - most also need a new ECU, plus the tuning -

once you've spent 7k on converting and then still having blown gearboxes all the time you wonder why you didn't just buy the model you wanted

digifish
10th March 2007, 02:15 PM
once you've spent 7k on converting and then still having blown gearboxes all the time you wonder why you didn't just buy the model you wanted

Indeed this was my point.

And when things do break or need tweaking you will find the engine/gearbox whatever is impossible to work on as things you need access to are in even more impossible locations.

digifish

EL BURITO
10th March 2007, 03:08 PM
Indeed this was my point.

And when things do break or need tweaking you will find the engine/gearbox whatever is impossible to work on as things you need access to are in even more impossible locations.

digifish
there is a guy with a Suziki liana hatch round here with a engine out of a s14. its quick but he did say last time i talked to him he was on his 3rd gear box.

auzvectra
10th March 2007, 08:44 PM
my pulsar retained the stock 18LE motor with very little mods.
but yes the cost do go up quickly ;).