PDA

View Full Version : New VE Coupe and Vert...fingers crossed !

Wraith
5th March 2007, 12:53 PM
Has everyone else seen/checked out the latest Motor Mag cover and story regarding the very likelyhood of an upcoming VE coupe (new Monaro) and a drop top version as well WOOOOOHOOOOO - It looks f#*#*#g AWESOME !!!! :dance: at least IMO it does :)

I'm definitely gonna wait for this one, we will also see a new mid sized platform which will probably be the new Torana :pray:

I've been waiting nearly 20 years in the hope of a new Torana....hope it happens :pray: hope it's a decent machine :pray:

That scary looking new Camaro will be in the showrooms in 2009 :eek: love the V8 engine cover dressing :)

luvpsi
5th March 2007, 12:59 PM
Has everyone else seen/checked out the latest Motor Mag cover and story regarding the very likelyhood of an upcoming VE coupe (new Monaro) and a drop top version as well WOOOOOHOOOOO - It looks f#*#*#g AWESOME !!!! :dance: at least IMO it does :)

I'm definitely gonna wait for this one, we will also see a new mid sized platform which will probably be the new Torana :pray:

I've been waiting nearly 20 years in the hope of a new Torana....hope it happens :pray: hope it's a decent machine :pray:

That scary looking new Camaro will be in the showrooms in 2009 :eek: love the V8 engine cover dressing :)

yeah saw the yellow monaro convertable on the cover of the motor mag:D looks sweet. nothing like 6 litre of yank muscle under the bonnet of a convertable YUM!

oneightoo
5th March 2007, 01:09 PM
yeah i saw that too.. looks mint!!

and a torana would be the bizz!! ive been hanging on a new one ever since dad sold his xu1 when i was 10.. man i miss that car.. just as long as its not like the purple concept car at the motor show a few years ago..

Wraith
5th March 2007, 01:32 PM
I loved the Torana TT36 concept, even the colour :o

Notice the 20" wheels of that Torana concept have ended up on the VE coupe and vert concepts....:)

oneightoo
5th March 2007, 03:01 PM
and the flared guards..

to me the torana concept came across too girly looking..

Wraith
5th March 2007, 05:07 PM
hehehe yeh, hot pink will do that :)

Tfer
5th March 2007, 06:58 PM
Loved the 'rana concept..... great Veccy C replacement perhaps :rolleyes:

MatsHolden
5th March 2007, 07:28 PM
I loved the Torana TT36 concept, even the colour :o

Notice the 20" wheels of that Torana concept have ended up on the VE coupe and vert concepts....:)

Reason for that mate, is because they are actually only Motor's own CG images, nothing to do with Holden. ;) These are only digital images of what Motor think a Coupe and Convertable could look like.

poita
5th March 2007, 10:15 PM
only pic i can find, so far on the net is this one.
another CGI

http://www.cgiautomotive.com/cars/holden-monaro.htm

vectra_zc
6th March 2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah the pics do look good in the motor mag. Don't know whether it is really going to happen though. Whilst Holdens concepts are outstanding, they rarely turn in to reality for a number of economical reasons. Namely cost competitive imports and high R&D costs.

With the Camaro coming across, won't they just badge it as a "Monaro"? With Astra, Tigra hardtop convertible already out there, is there a need for a v8 convertible? They could import the Opel GT roadster also.

Now that GM have got the VE right, they should focus on getting the quality of other products right. Perhaps focus on fuel efficiency, green cars and overall ride quality.

The most influential factor comes down to GMs global strategy. VE couple\convertible could happen if international interest is there. They just need to learn from the lessons of the last Monaro which struggled in the later days. If they drop off a coupe\convert somewhere else in the world, that may make room for an Aussie export. Same with the likelihood of a Torana..........question here is, it will need to be cheaper than the VE and so will that mean less quality? If so, why bother? :boohoo:

imay
6th March 2007, 03:42 PM
Pretty sure it's mentioned in that Motor story that Holden's simply don't have the production line space for a Monaro (coupe OR convertible). Now that they have just announced another 600 production jobs to go, I can't see that situation changing.
The story I read was quoting GM execs as saying that if the Monaro (coupe and/or convertible) was to go ahead, it would need to be built off-shore (US/Mexico) and shipped here as a limited edition vehicle. Price? Anyone's guess! Plus can't see why Holden/GM would want a Monaro competing with the proposed Camaro and Corvette imports due in your local GMH dealership in 2009/10.
Monaro or Camaro? Basically the same car, I would have thought.

Wraith
6th March 2007, 03:53 PM
Price is the least concern Ian, they - GMH - are taking advantage of the U.S/AUST. free trade agreement ;)

But yes the main obstacle is, can/will they have Camaro/Monaro in showrooms at the same time ??

Easy solution - rename it to Torana and forget about a new mid size platform :)

MatsHolden
6th March 2007, 10:17 PM
With the Camaro coming across, won't they just badge it as a "Monaro"?

Nope. They've already said it won't be badged as a Monaro. It will be a Camaro and most likely sold under the Chevrolet brand, not Holden. Holden are looking at adding Chevrolet and Cadillac to their premium brands such as Saab and Hummer... The Monaro will be it's own car... that is if they go ahead with it.

And also on the Torana side of things... it's a little more work than just shrinking down the VE Commodore. As the platform the VE uses cannot be shrunk down.

Wraith
7th March 2007, 01:30 PM
Looking forward to the new stand alone Monaro then :)

Torana if it will one day be rebirthed, will be based on an existing mid sized platform, can't remember which, Zeta platform or something like that, which is already used for some yank cars ATM.

oneightoo
8th March 2007, 12:32 PM
as long as it inherits the lines and sexy curves of the LJ i'll be happy.. actually, id be a happy owner of one..

Wraith
8th March 2007, 12:57 PM
That's a great idea :)

A modern retro LC or LJ would be great ;)

That has become a common trend lately. even the FJ's been done - I'd buy one of those.....Torana ie :)