PDA

View Full Version : buying parts from the UK off Ebay

Amazer
4th March 2007, 01:41 PM
hey guys

just been looking around for a new EGR valve

found them to be heaps heaps cheaper for lots of other parts as well

anyone bought off there, good idea, bad idea ?

thanks

Rob

auzvectra
4th March 2007, 02:20 PM
simple, plate the egr valve, n stick a resistor on the plug so the ecu thinks it there still ;)

CAL.16V
4th March 2007, 10:59 PM
yeha buying off ebay uk is easy and cheap.. use paypal and postage royal airmail takes a week

poita
4th March 2007, 11:45 PM
buy bits from there no probs at all.
so much cheaper then going to holden, rip off bastards!

platypus
5th March 2007, 07:39 AM
Rob,

yeah i wouldn't worry about them - i bought complete head kit, valves, gaskets, oil seals, the timing belt and tensioner/pulley i got from greg (gslrallysport)

James

Amazer
5th March 2007, 06:21 PM
thanks guys

just wanted to be sure before making a costly mistake

Rob

Blue_Dvl
6th March 2007, 08:58 PM
couldnt agree more........ Ebay is fantastic. Use Paypal, and with airmail only takes 1-2 weeks for delivery.

imay
6th March 2007, 09:06 PM
I personally have bought heaps of stuff off eBay and direct from overseas suppliers over the internet. Won't say I've never had a problem, but I have certainly learnt from any that I have had.

Simple answers to all your problems:
1. Ask questions, and lots of them. If the supplier isn't prepared to answer you, or give the answers you want to hear . . . find another supplier.
2. Check the price of the item/s against other suppliers.
3. Always ask the postage price to your home address. Postage to Oz for anything larger than an envelope from overseas CAN be pricey!
4. Once you have the item and the postage price do a quick check on the currency exchange rate www.xe.com so that you really know how much it's going to cost.
5. If it's all too much in $A for you, look elsewhere. There's plenty of people selling the thing/s you want, just maybe not the same time you are looking.
6. Always double check the price of the item/s here in Australia (if it's available) as the price from supplier to supplier (dealer to dealer) can also vary enormously.
7. Don't forget Europe/Germany. Get an on-line translator www.freetranslation.com and give www.ebay.de a go as well. Most of the guys on there are willing to help and their prices/postage can be a fraction of the UK. Getting over the language barrier can be the biggest hurdle. Sign up to one of the German Astra/Opel sites and see if there is someone on there that is willing to help.
8. Set up a Visa debit account to operate your transactions with. IF you get bitten by a credit card sting, they can only take the money that's in the account (kept to a minimum, of course).

I bet you get "ripped off" at some stage (or at least end up getting something other than you were hoping for!), but that can even happen if you shop in person at a store here in Oz. The trick is to not get stung by too much!

Good luck . . . it can be fun. There's just so much stuff available out there that you can't get here!

poita
6th March 2007, 09:41 PM
all very good advice imay, lucky enough i have found someone in Aus who can translate german for me.
has saved a bit of confusion.
and imay, thanks for the freetranslation site. i have been using the google translator and i have found it to be lacking. will give it a shot.