PDA

View Full Version : Wiper blade problem

bill142
3rd March 2007, 07:37 PM
So I've been having issues with my wiper blades. Instead of gliding silently acrross the windscreen, at random the blades jump and make an irritating noise. The actual function of the wiper arms and motors appears to be fine, but the blades appear to be the issue. Now it has really done this since day one, but hasn't bothered me that much since rain is a strange occurance down here in Canberra. However, of late, we've been getting rain about as cyclically as the rainy season in the tropics.

Should I just go and change the blade or has anyone else suffered a similar problem on their Astra H?

Tfer
3rd March 2007, 08:36 PM
So I've been having issues with my wiper blades. Instead of gliding silently acrross the windscreen, at random the blades jump and make an irritating noise. The actual function of the wiper arms and motors appears to be fine, but the blades appear to be the issue. Now it has really done this since day one, but hasn't bothered me that much since rain is a strange occurance down here in Canberra. However, of late, we've been getting rain about as cyclically as the rainy season in the tropics.

Should I just go and change the blade or has anyone else suffered a similar problem on their Astra H?

Sometimes I have this problem with my Veccy C, and I clean the blades with a good cloth and windown cleaner.... seems to sort it. I also make sure I keep the Rain-X up to the windscreen as well :)

R3N
3rd March 2007, 08:37 PM
Hmm on the H? How old is the car? Shouldn't be giving you problems that soon. Feel the wiper blades, are they hard? or soft and flexy? Could try a wiper blade reconditioner

Poogene2001
3rd March 2007, 10:51 PM
I get the same thing on my 05 Astra H.
It doesn't always do it, but generally after a good clean it stops.
Dont be too quick to get holden to replace them for you either, they cost upwards of $80,

xplosv57
3rd March 2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah id also suggest cleaning the blades and also the windscreen itself!! If that doesn't help and the wiper blades/insert aren't the issue, i suggest bending the arm slightly so it doesn't chatter across the screen!!

JR
3rd March 2007, 11:31 PM
my rear wiper blade on my astra does the "chatter" aswell.
despite changing the blade n giving it a good clean, it sill does it.

i believe its to do with "bend" of the wiper blade holder - as xplosv57 said.

MK
4th March 2007, 01:14 AM
i have Astra H 2004 model...had my wiper blades since new (car travelled now 30,000) from time to time the front wiper blades (especially the drivers side) would "jitter" across the windscreen when in use (no matter how wet or dry the suface was)
i inquired at holden to have them replaced but when found out it was going to be $90 AUD i tried few "home remedies" before spending the $$$

1. i have tried damp cloth saturated with windex and gave the wipers a good clean - result was 50/50, still streaks but a little less "jitters" and noise.

2. applied ranix to the windscreen - helps significantly with the streaks but does not eliminate the noise the wipers make.

3. with Astra H wiper blades bending does not help much (in my case) as the wiper blades are the "type" arms with no metal arms...

4. i have decided to take the wiper blades apart (yes its possible - but its a bit difficult task) and replaced the rubber part with some new items (total cost $9 and some sweat)

Lucky_Astra06
4th March 2007, 12:56 PM
i got same bloody problem on my H sept its happenin on the drivers side and leaves annoying water smudges everytime i use them, bought new blades but they said the problem is da glass.

easiest solution is to buy a new car.

bill142
4th March 2007, 04:46 PM
easiest solution is to buy a new car.

Oh.. ok.. I'll go buy that 300C then..

imad4u
4th March 2007, 05:21 PM
ive had the same problem on my astra g, i changed the rubber/wiper blades with bosch refillers and still had the jumping problem, then i tighten up the blade control arm using a set of multi grip's, i have attached a photo of what i mean, its been a week with a few good days of rain and i havent noticed the jumping across the screen...

Dave
4th March 2007, 11:10 PM
use lubrication :p