PDA

View Full Version : Unichip, Powerchip, Chip Torque etc

PaulTheBall
27th May 2004, 03:31 PM
Hi all

I would like to know what people's experiences/opinions are with respect to after market chips and ECU patches: Unichip, Powerchip, Chip Torque, AMD etc.

In particular I want to know people's experience with modifying Opel and Euro cars... what is out there, what different companies offer, and how they work. We know that AMD maps for the Turbo are coming through, but what is on offer for the standard Astra, Vectra and Barina?

Futhermore, what software/devices are available that can write to the car's computer? There must be something because QSZ are uploading new programs into the car.

The reason I ask is because I noticed one of those chip companies supplies a patch for Barina which allegedly gives it another few kilowatts by making the engine run better on premium fuel, instead of optimising it for the lowest common denominator (ie average unleaded fuel).

oh, and I haven't got much of an idea how the on board software works on cars so maybe somebody who knows can enlighten the rest of us :wink:

...and before people begin posting defamatory opinions about particular companies, I am ONLY interested in the facts, not "a mate of a mate said they were crap so I reckon that company should rot in hell"... ok? :wink:
:)

Nem
27th May 2004, 03:57 PM
AMD do remaps for the 2.2 NA in europe but I doubt we'll ever see anything here in the near future. Pity really given the number of these machines out here.

Powerchip has also a product for NA Astra's but their reputation amongst the rest of their peers seems to be of a lower standing. Whether this is the truth or not remains to be seen.

dazza015
27th May 2004, 04:10 PM
I am interested as well, just last night I was looking at the powerchip site for a chip/ecu reprogram for my SRi

Barina SRi Info (http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/datasheets/datasheets_two.asp?pid=Hol0114)

Seemed a little steep price wise $889.90 for an extra 11kw ($81.80 per kw!)

But after reading the testimonials there was a few Barina SRi drivers who said that is was well worth it

Testimonial 1 (http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/testimonials/view.asp?testid=1316)
Testimonial 2 (http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/testimonials/view.asp?testid=1325)
Testimonial 3 (http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/testimonials/view.asp?testid=828)
Testimonial 4 (http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/testimonials/view.asp?testid=943)

They talk of the little niggling habits my car has and say that it fixes the issues and then some. Keen to hear any first hand experience be it powerchip or any other brand

Anonymous
27th May 2004, 05:26 PM
I have once found a program that is downloadable that will get the ecu info on your car, allowing you to change it, then upload it back up.
Must find it, want this badly.
Massimo here has a Powerchip and has only said good things about it.
Personally, they are a bit expensive with kw/$$$ ratio.

Jass
27th May 2004, 05:41 PM
Iam not too sure about the what powerchip offer for the barina. Thought 800 odd bucks for a few kw does seem steep.
The gains that powerchip for the money they offer "seem" good, but in saying that they are very mild compare to some of the other maps out there. AMD and Unichip are giving gains of around 130 -140kw with 320nm - 340 nm of torque.
Now the diference between unichip/amd and powerchip is about 500 bucks.

Iam not going to name names, but i have some personal emails from some of this companies basically alleging that they are stealing there product. But that is for another topic all together.

I guess you have to try and measure what is right for you. If you want big gains then unichip and AMD are the way to go, thought check with your insurance to see if Unichip is covered, also kiss your holden warranty goodbye on the unichip.

Iam getting the AMD tomorrow, so ill let you guys know what gains more car has made, and exaclty what i have in ways of mods.

For me knowing that holden cant detect my upgrade and that insurance is cool due to no cut wires is a peace of mind

mixmelb
27th May 2004, 05:51 PM
I had powerchip on my vectra, it was worth it in my opinion, the car revs higher, accelerate smoother and faster.
And I still keep my Holden warranty since there's no wire cut...

frankie9fingers
27th May 2004, 06:01 PM
If any1 is thinking of "copying" someone's ecu programme then uploading it into their own car best remove that idea from their head or find a top notch hacker. Programmes install by these places also have an id check in accordance with the vehicle. ie: it will only work with an ecu with matching identities.

As for the 1.8's, well there are people that will do it (money is money) but the gains are minimal. To see better improvements without insurance woes is to work the motor internally. For the $900 spent on a chip you could get some decent headwork done.

OPL-20T
27th May 2004, 06:21 PM
jass i think u mean AmD not unichip ur getting in ur car dude hahahha..
if u rcar has the ability to do a re-map then do it as it will be much safer then a piggy back ecu, with warranty and insurance...
so there is ur answer right there guys. :)

Anonymous
27th May 2004, 07:16 PM
For $900, i'd rather get a full exhaust done or put cams in.
More power that way.

InsaneAsylum
27th May 2004, 09:18 PM
1 4M 73H 1337 H4X0R. 1 0WN 411 P3RF0RM4NC3 CH1P5!!!! :twisted:

i think i found something better than powerchip, unichip, chiptorque etc... here it is

http://www.syty.org/old/pics/mods/turbo.gif
:mrgreen: :screwy: :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
27th May 2004, 09:38 PM
Hahhaa, I'm not a fan of Powerchip simply because I know two mates who have had them done on their cars (one a 318is and the other an M3) and they say they are worthless if you end up doing other mods anyway...

InsaneAsylum
27th May 2004, 09:46 PM
agreed

my post, although pointless has contributed to me getting enough opel dollars to be revived :D

frankie9fingers
27th May 2004, 10:25 PM
Chip shoud be the final touch to get the most out of the mods you've done.

Anonymous
27th May 2004, 10:40 PM
i agree with you there frank

ultim8DTM5
28th May 2004, 11:46 AM
Franky, hows the short shifter coming?

XXX-1.8T
28th May 2004, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt touch Powerchip with a 10ft pole a lot of Audi's drivers have been burnt as well ;)

Stick to AmD 8)

sparksy
28th May 2004, 12:15 PM
Amd dont do anything for the corsa.... i already looked into it... :(:(:(:(

InsaneAsylum
28th May 2004, 07:10 PM
good thinking frankie, but seriously.... who ever finished modding there car??? it's an ongoing process of "continuous improvement" :mrgreen:

PaulTheBall
31st May 2004, 07:22 PM
I got an email from APS in Sydney today - who do Unichip. They have wiring information for Astra and Barina, but no chip yet. They are flat out doing more important cars I guess :wink:

Anyhow they suggested that we can approach a local agent/dealer who can help develop a tuning application for the Astra/Barina. I'm not ready for something like that right now, but maybe in a couple of months I will look into it again.

Jass
1st June 2004, 07:16 PM
Paul who did u get this info from, APS (unichip) already have a maps ready for the astra. C&V doing them in sydney and so do Autotech.

Spoeak with Oliver (silver astra) as he has the chip in his car with really good gains.

PaulTheBall
1st June 2004, 08:05 PM
It was their sales manager Rainer who contacted me... anyhow I'm too busy and have to little dollars to go tinkering with the car right now. I would wait at least until I get the intake and exhaust done so that the mapping doesn't have to be redone at a later time.

Jass
1st June 2004, 08:32 PM
Damn there sales manager needs to get with it then, cause there is atleast two authorized unichip performance shops that are doing it on the astra, also there was an article in wheels magazine last month about it.

1400 dollars at autotech 141k@wheels 340nm of torque 14psi of boost

Jass
1st June 2004, 08:36 PM
btw the engine light stays on

silvestra
2nd June 2004, 09:17 AM
Emissions light.

Fro
13th March 2009, 01:09 AM
Was pondering on the technical gains versus money spent. Sounds like unless you really want to spend big bucks on all other major engine mods, it's not really worth it.

Might keep the $900 or so towards some new wheels.

auzvectra
13th March 2009, 02:08 AM
fro what car you talking?

Wraith
13th March 2009, 08:50 AM
Another thread from the grave resurrected :eek:

Fro, do a search HEAPS of info on this topic already exists and has been discussed to death so many times in the past...I'm sure you'll find all your answers in past literature :)