PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Scoop for Astra G SRI T ?????

Deighty
19th February 2007, 09:57 PM
Has anyone seen or had done a bonnet scoop for an Astra G SRI T. I'm interested in maybe going down this path for a cold air intake if it can be done?????? :)

poita
19th February 2007, 10:12 PM
i personally think an inny scoop not an outty scoop would look better
if u get what i mean lol

EL BURITO
19th February 2007, 10:14 PM
EVO like scoop

auzvectra
19th February 2007, 10:21 PM
yep evo like scoop. definately an outter, forget the inner they just increase the amount of air going under ur car n make it less stable at higher speeds, which is why mines just vented so the air is sucked out, n trust me u can feel the difference in stability and handling ;)

poita
19th February 2007, 10:21 PM
something kinda like this
but without the raised edges, more of a smooth look
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/photo/mrt047.jpg

Deighty
19th February 2007, 10:26 PM
yep evo like scoop. definately an outter, forget the inner they just increase the amount of air going under ur car n make it less stable at higher speeds, which is why mines just vented so the air is sucked out, n trust me u can feel the difference in stability and handling ;)

Isn't the idea of the scoop to get air direct into the air box??? If that is the case and it runs straight into the air box how then do you get air going under your car??? :confused:

auzvectra
19th February 2007, 10:38 PM
nope, very few scoops actually go to the airbox ;)

auzvectra
19th February 2007, 10:39 PM
most are for show, or to an intercooler, or to a turbo ect....
if you want cold air to the intake there are better ways then cutting ur bonnet :).
like a pod in the wheel arch ect...

Deighty
19th February 2007, 11:15 PM
if you want cold air to the intake there are better ways then cutting ur bonnet :).

But what if I wanted to be slightly different..... put a nice bonnet inlet straight into airbox..... could that work? :)

blueraven
19th February 2007, 11:46 PM
i am looking at doing a puegot 206 vent in my bonnet...just have to work up the nerve to cut it :D

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 07:45 AM
yeah thats fine, just been good to be the only 1 game to cut their bonnet :p.
most people think i'm crazy for cutting it :).

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 08:06 AM
your probably better off plumbing a pipe down to the front bar and putting a bell housing on it.

I asked one of the fabricators at mercury motorsport about this not to long ago and he said that most bonnet scoops don't actually catch much air mainly because the air is already bouncing up over the bonnet cause its hit the front bar. he said that the only scoops that actually cath much are are the wrx scoops, but thats only cause they sit so hi.

The best advantage of a vent is for heat disperstion which will keep you under bonnet temps down.

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 08:20 AM
as he said ^^^ ;)

InsaneAsylum
20th February 2007, 08:24 AM
if your thinking of a wrx type scoop, ensure that it meets legal requirements.

my personal opinion is no scoop is a good scoop.... go for bonnet vents if you wish

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 12:51 PM
the 05 (ish) STI wrx bonnet scoop CANNOT be used on any other car, not even the lower model wrx, it is too high, the STI was a special case.
i think the rest are fine.

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 01:00 PM
yeah i've heard that too matt.

Theres very acurate info if you log onto the RTA website and download the modifications guide that they have. It tells you all about the design that is acceptable and what is not. Interesting read.

rjastra
20th February 2007, 01:36 PM
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i20/2081_4lo.jpg

Here are the areas of high/low air pressure on a car. Redder = higher, bluer = lower

You place the intakes for airboxes near the red zones. So, its pointless to put one on your bonnet

To increase flow through radiators/intercoolers you put a vent on the leading edge on of the bonnet (where the blue/purple is)

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 01:45 PM
Nice diagram.

Obviously it'd be slightly different for each individual car. but definately illistrates the good areas and the bad areas for air supply.

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 02:38 PM
yeah, great input rj ;)

OPC
20th February 2007, 07:15 PM
yeah thats fine, just been good to be the only 1 game to cut their bonnet :p.
most people think i'm crazy for cutting it :).

post a pic of ur bonnet so the guy can see what kind of scoop u have

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah i haven't seen it lol

pics or ban! :D:D

Deighty
20th February 2007, 07:39 PM
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i20/2081_4lo.jpg

Here are the areas of high/low air pressure on a car. Redder = higher, bluer = lower

You place the intakes for airboxes near the red zones. So, its pointless to put one on your bonnet

To increase flow through radiators/intercoolers you put a vent on the leading edge on of the bonnet (where the blue/purple is)

Thanks rjastra - that makes more sense. I'm thinking along the lines of the larger Diesel Air Intake for the front now. Maybe that's better than cutting the bonnet. It sounds like most bonnet scoops are more for show. Sorry I grew up with carbies and air filters hanging out of the bonnet on cars like Toranas and Sandman Vans. Probably lost half of Opelaus on that comment. ha ha ha:D

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 07:41 PM
i'd love a scoop/vent on my honda. Just to get the engine bay temps down. Dunno how it'd look tho lol

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 09:09 PM
i'll post a pic, but the job isnt finished so it still looks a lil rough, just a rough in so far, needs to be trimmed neatly plate welded on, cleaned up, and then resprayed.
also, it isnt a scoop, simply holes cut in the bonnet n meshed in, i didnt want to put a scoop on, as it's too easy to create a negative pressure, n suck the air down, with keeping it flat the air inside is sucked out :).
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2663/dsc01119xa9.th.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01119xa9.jpg)

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm guessin you used your bung bonnet by the looks of it??

I wonder how hard it'd be to graft in an evo grill??

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 09:15 PM
bout what i was thinkin, similar shape to what i have started, with just a very small lip to it.
not all that hard at all ;).

JasonGilholme
20th February 2007, 09:20 PM
Didn't have to cut away any of the bracing for the bonnet??

I wonder if CAM's will let me have a custom fibre glass bonnet???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

auzvectra
20th February 2007, 09:58 PM
nope, did it the legal way, not even a scratch on the bracing ;)

InsaneAsylum
20th February 2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry I grew up with carbies and air filters hanging out of the bonnet on cars like Toranas and Sandman Vans. Probably lost half of Opelaus on that comment. ha ha ha:D

nah.... respect + 1 for that

WLD-18L
21st February 2007, 03:35 PM

what happens to your pod in the wheel arch when it rains ? is water flicked up off the tyre and onto your air filter. ? this can not be good.

auzvectra
21st February 2007, 04:40 PM
i have a sheild behind the pod, and it's oiled anyway, so short of doing some creek driving it wont suck any water.

WLD-18L
21st February 2007, 04:45 PM
fair enuff by the way car looks nice with thoes mods man. hows it run ?

auzvectra
21st February 2007, 05:36 PM
well, it's on stands at the moment :(, but i would say VERY low 14's as it was a week ago ;).
and i really mean it when i say those vents help the stability, i was driving the other day, n noticed how tight a certain corner was which i had recently cruised around rather smoothly at a lot higher speed :).
but off cause i wasnt speeding :p

auzvectra
21st February 2007, 05:38 PM
oh and thanks for the compliment :).
in a few weeks, i "hope" it'll be in the 13's, but due to fund's shortage might be stuck in the 14's for a while yet :(.

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 10:22 AM
i am looking at doing a puegot 206 vent in my bonnet...just have to work up the nerve to cut it :D

Interesting one BR, I once thought of doing exactly the same on my Cali.......

Long lost idea now :rolleyes:

As to the original topic, think twice about it and what you really want it to do.

If you must have a scoop - whether it be for additional CAI (cold air intake) or hot air expelling or just for looks if not anything else, then maybe go for a second bonnet, from the wreckers, just in case you stuff up or need to go back to stock.

Also a very important point that most people don't even think about is water control/drainage on some of those DIY or aftermarket scoops.

All factory scoops have some sort of water drainage system built in, you don't want to have a DIY scoop filling up your air intake box or engine bay with water.......;)

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 10:40 AM
Sorry I grew up with carbies and air filters hanging out of the bonnet on cars like Toranas and Sandman Vans. Probably lost half of Opelaus on that comment. ha ha ha:D

Not to worry there brother........

You've actually 'gained' not lost support, from me anyway :)

I too am 'old school' and not only grew up with, but had a Torana with tunnel rams hanging 1 and 1/2 feet out of the bonnet :D

I also had a 400cu in small block with a B&M 871 blower on it hanging 2 feet out of the bonnet :eek:

I've also owned a HX Sandman.....:) stock though.......

I'm wrapped I got to experience cars in an era when this stuff was still possible and you were able to get away with driving it on the streets :)

Not one bit as much fun or exciting these days.......:(

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 12:54 PM
Not to worry there brother........

You've actually 'gained' not lost support, from me anyway :)

I too am 'old school' and not only grew up with, but had a Torana with tunnel rams hanging 1 and 1/2 feet out of the bonnet :D

I also had a 400cu in small block with a B&M 871 blower on it hanging 2 feet out of the bonnet :eek:

I've also owned a HX Sandman.....:) stock though.......

I'm wrapped I got to experience cars in an era when this stuff was still possible and you were able to get away with driving it on the streets :)

Not one bit as much fun or exciting these days.......:(

Amen to that brother :angel:

auzvectra
23rd February 2007, 01:01 PM
i agree with tfer agreeing with wraith ;).

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 01:25 PM
I once had a 1.3l side valve Rolla ('84) which had the engine worked to rally specs (redline @ 8,000 which equated to 165kph @ 8,000rpm in 4th on my private runway) with a specially made Weber Twin Draft Carby and a full 2' exhaust complete with custom headers...... pollution gear, what poluttion gear ;)

Man that thing was fun :dance:

Sorry for going off topic BTW.... but Deighty did drive the thing as well :)

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 01:30 PM
WOW !

I didn't realise there were many other 'older' peeps on here......I thought it was just Wayne and I and most others well under 30, with some around mid 30's
:rolleyes:

But yeh, I really do miss the days of seeing and driving tunnel rammed, or 'letter boxed' cars of all sorts, blowers hanging out - what a sound they made :drool: V8's shoehorned into cars that were never meant to have em installed :D and even older classics like '57 chevs, these were all a common everyday sight on a typical road and Saturday nights would see dozens if not hundreds of these at all the major hang out spots :)

These days you can only see such a sight at car shows, like that all Holden day not long ago......you could never get away with driving something like that on todays roads, the law has seen to that :(

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 01:35 PM
WOW !

I didn't realise there were many other 'older' peeps on here......I thought it was just Wayne and I and most others well under 30, with some around mid 30's
:rolleyes:

But yeh, I really do miss the days of seeing and driving tunnel rammed, or 'letter boxed' cars of all sorts, blowers hanging out - what a sound they made :drool: V8's shoehorned into cars that were never meant to have em installed :D and even older classics like '57 chevs, these were all a common everyday sight on a typical road and Saturday nights would see dozens if not hundreds of these at all the major hang out spots :)

These days you can only see such a sight at car shows, like that all Holden day not long ago......you could never get away with driving something like that on todays roads, the law has seen to that :(

And the things you could get away with..... the local constabulary were much more amiable then, compared to now. Not their fault mind, but motoring back, was a far more pleasant rewarding experience. :)

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 01:46 PM
And the things you could get away with..... the local constabulary were much more amiable then, compared to now. Not their fault mind, but motoring back, was a far more pleasant rewarding experience. :)

Yes, that's so true :)

I hate to say it but for the younger car buffs these days, sure there's plenty of high tech and great looking cars around to choose from, but they've missed out on a fantastic and very law leniant car period.

Having experienced both Worlds, I,d rather have the car scene of 20 to 30 years ago.

Having said that though, I am looking forward to some real good looking high tech future cars like the one pictured in my sig pic - it may be the future Toyota Supra and it's concept is an o/a awesome car :)

And sorry to the rest for going off topic :o

auzvectra
23rd February 2007, 01:47 PM
i am well under 30, but i was brought up around this sorta stuff ;).
my 1st car i rebuilt with some help from my dad, took 2 years, registered the day after i got my licence, not so old skool, but 85 commo with quite a few mods including a later model efi 5.0L, ran around the 12 sec mark :).
and also had a fatory genuine 350 (bathurst) chevy HQ statey, damn thats a nice car, 74 with aircon, elec windows, and power steer, and it all worked :).

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 01:57 PM
Awesome stuff there Matt :)

One of my cousins still has a fully restored HQ ute with the full HZ statesman front and a stroked older 5.0ltr injected V8 - sounds fantastic, there's nothing that rivals the sound of a good V8 :)

Add supercharges or turbos and it's absolute heaven to the ears - total drool....

Seriously, they make wrx's sound like lawnmowers by comparison :D

auzvectra
23rd February 2007, 02:16 PM
Add supercharges or turbos and it's absolute heaven to the ears - total drool....

love it, hilarious :D.

Deighty
23rd February 2007, 03:47 PM
I once had a 1.3l side valve Rolla ('84) which had the engine worked to rally specs (redline @ 8,000 which equated to 165kph @ 8,000rpm in 4th on my private runway) with a specially made Weber Twin Draft Carby and a full 2' exhaust complete with custom headers...... pollution gear, what poluttion gear ;)

Man that thing was fun :dance:

Sorry for going off topic BTW.... but Deighty did drive the thing as well :)

Yes Tfer is right - I have driven his Rolla back in 1990. Went out white and i then delivered it back covered in a brown like substance called mud. Car Rallys are great fun. Long story

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 04:00 PM
Awesome stuff there Matt :)

One of my cousins still has a fully restored HQ ute with the full HZ statesman front and a stroked older 5.0ltr injected V8 - sounds fantastic, there's nothing that rivals the sound of a good V8 :)

Agreed Wraith..... :D

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 04:01 PM
Yes Tfer is right - I have driven his Rolla back in 1990. Went out white and i then delivered it back covered in a brown like substance called mud. Car Rallys are great fun. Long story

Tehe..... I remembered looking shocked at my "baby" :rolleyes:

WLD-18L
23rd February 2007, 08:49 PM
here is a golden oldie for all of you. its my uncles and its up for sale.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HOLDEN/WB/details.aspx?Model=WB&__Nne=20&__N=4294965857+82+4294960238+834+285+257&Make=HOLDEN&State=Victoria&silo=1003&state_id=82&distance=25&Cr=6&seot=0&__sid=110F05ABAF8D&R=553491&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&trecs=23

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 08:51 PM
here is a golden oldie for all of you. its my uncles and its up for sale.http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HOLDEN/WB/details.aspx?Model=WB&__Nne=20&__N=4294965857+82+4294960238+834+285+257&Make=HOLDEN&State=Victoria&silo=1003&state_id=82&distance=25&Cr=6&seot=0&__sid=110F05ABAF8D&R=553491&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&trecs=23

Not sure about the link.... but a WB ute? ;)