PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control stops working after disconnecting tail lights?

DirtyHarry
17th February 2007, 11:38 AM
hey guys,

has anyone tried this? or could i have a fault. This is for Astra g. Ok if you disconnect both your rear tail lights go for a drive and them plug them back in, the cruise control stops working.

Now i know the rear brake/tail globes are also connected to the cruise control circuit. could this have something to do with it?

And how do you get cruise control to work again?

(its like the electric windows - once you disconnect the batter you have to reset them)

DirtyHarry
17th February 2007, 12:01 PM
also i have noticed, if you disconnect both the tail lights (AND NOT TURN THE IGNITION ON/GO FOR A DRIVE) then the cruise control will work.
its only when you start to drive with them then it doesnt work.

could this be the same if you blow a stop/tail light globe, then the cruise control wont work?

DirtyHarry
17th February 2007, 01:15 PM
further to add. the cruise control is disabled only when you have both tail lights disconnected. if you only have 1 they it will still work.

now you can reset the cruise control by pulling the #38 fuse out.

so i guess the moral is, there is some kind of safety cut out when both lights are out, which stop you using the cruise control.

stevedee3
17th February 2007, 03:23 PM
Just a guess, but maybe something to do with the system checking that the brakes/brake lights work before allowing the cruise control to work?

KID_SRi
17th February 2007, 06:58 PM
Have you tried just turning the Ignition to "ON"(Don't start Engine) wait for about 30 seconds?
Doing that will reset the Entire System. I was told to do that when my Central Locking didn't work properly.

DirtyHarry
17th February 2007, 07:22 PM
might try that.

imay
26th February 2007, 10:34 AM
Interestingly, I have had a similar incident recently.
Noticed the l.h.s. brake light not working on my wife's G, so stopped off at Repco to pick up a replacement globe. Changed it there at the shop and continued my journey, but noticed nothing unusual.
Returning home, tried the cruise control (I use it all the time!) and it wasn't working. Got home, parked her car on the lawn to give it a wash. Turned the key to off, and removed it . . . wtf! The engine was still running. Inserted the key and turned it to Ignition and tried again. Same thing. What now? Re-inserted the key and this time put my foot on the brake (thinking this is the only thing that I have fooled around with). Had my wife check the brake lights and she tells me only the hi-level light is on. Turned the key off and the engine stops. Ah, progress!
Removed the brake light globe to check that I had put it in correctly. Yep! Only really goes in one way, unless you want to butcher the plug. Put it back together and re-checked everything. Brake lights working, tail lights working, engne starting and stopping as it should. OK! Don't know what the hell happened there!
Went out in her car again that afternoon and no cruise control still. Stopped off and wandered the local shopping centre (fun!) and then returned home . . . and cruise is now working! WTF!
Don't understand, but at least it seems to have sorted it self out and everything (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) is working as normal again. Seems to have fixed itself.

Vectracious
26th February 2007, 07:15 PM
wtf! The engine was still running. Inserted the key and turned it to Ignition and tried again. Same thing.

Are you sure it was the engine running and not just the thermo-fan's staying on for a little bit???

DirtyHarry
27th February 2007, 11:17 AM
yeah im still trying to find out at what point it resets, or is it able to be reset while starting the car. unfortunately when i call dealers most of them think something is faulty. i still think there must be a way of resetting it without pulling out the fuse.

luvpsi
27th February 2007, 11:26 AM
Are you sure it was the engine running and not just the thermo-fan's staying on for a little bit???

i've had the same problem in my car as well:( the motor wouldnt turn off for some reason, so I took it to holden and they fixed it (dont know what they did) but it was a very strange thing to happen:confused:

Blue_Dvl
27th February 2007, 04:37 PM
im pretty sure the cruise control is only hooked up to your brake light switch. However if all lights have failed it may have a self-test telling the ECU that the brake light switch has failed so it disables it.

Dare i even ask why you went driving with no taillights??

I too have noticed the thero fans running with engine off....... freaked me out the 1st time. but having the engine running.:confused:

imay
27th February 2007, 07:37 PM

Engine . . . definitely not the thermo fan.

I know it sounds weird, and 2 Holden dealers could not explain it, but that's exactly what happened . . . turned key to off, removed key and the engine was still running, replaced the key and turned it to ignition and all the usual start-up dash lights came on as usual, then went off. Turned the key to off and removed it again, and still the engine was running. Wasn't until I put my foot on the brake (and don't know if this is the cause of it all) and turned the key off the third time did the engine actually stop running.