PDA

View Full Version : calibra T v astra T

poita
13th February 2007, 11:56 PM
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=7668579096835539225

bit of a surprise ;)

Shaun
14th February 2007, 12:48 AM
Calder ? anyone from here? Very close. I take it the SRi T AH is stock?

Wraith
14th February 2007, 09:17 AM
There's not much in that one at all........

What model AH Astra is that ?? Sri T or VXR......

Without knowing the state of tune of those cars involved, you can't make any comments either way.....all you can go by is their known stock standard performance, ie:

Cali T vs AH Sri T = Cali win

Cali T vs AH VXR = VXR win

blueraven
14th February 2007, 09:26 AM
keep in mind the calibra should damn well win anyway(stock for stock), same power but with awd for MUCH better launches. and we also dont know if these guys can drive or not etc...could be a race legend in the astra, and some idot p-plater in the calibra.

JasonGilholme
14th February 2007, 09:30 AM
i could also imagine the cali being lighter then the AH.

Which one is lighter??

Wraith
14th February 2007, 09:36 AM
Good point BR, as the Cali launch was not the best.

Cai T is over 1400kg and heavier than all AH turbos.........

Stock VXR will eat a stock Cali regardless of 4WD........

It has a much better power/weight and known performance figures of the 2 supports this ;)

JasonGilholme
14th February 2007, 10:10 AM
damn didn't realise they were that heavy!!

Some simple weight reduction would make those cars fly!

Wraith
14th February 2007, 12:49 PM
No need to reduce their weight, just tune em up........

The C20LET in the Turbo Cali is a tough donk, already fitted with good old forgies, I've seen O/S examples running over 300kw no probs.

The problem is their TX (transfer) box, which is weak as piss, but if fitted with an aftermarket stronger unit to take full advantage of the 4x4 and then highly engine tuned as nentioned, they will run very quick.

Having said that, the fastest recorded 1/4 mile time I've ever seen with my own eyes from a Cali T is 13.6 sec.

The fastest 1/4 mile time I've ever heard of for a Cali T (the owners word of mouth so no proof) is 12.7 sec.

Original members like myself of the Calibra forums will know who I'm talking about - 'Cano' used to call himself 'HiBoost' DJ Nik's good mate :)

oneightoo
14th February 2007, 12:59 PM
Calder ? anyone from here? Very close. I take it the SRi T AH is stock?

i remember a certain NA calibra's nose being at the rear end of a G SRi T one sunday morning from a set of traffic lights heading out to katoomba..

altho the astra was being driven by Captain Slow :p

blueraven
14th February 2007, 01:15 PM
i seen one do 11.3 :) but that one has about 700hp, and a very, very strong transfer box.

Sven calibra in sweden.

SSS_Hoon
14th February 2007, 01:20 PM
I cannot see it at work will have too look when i get home.

but i thought the Cali would be lighter then that also.

the engine in the Cali is similar to the SR20 as in its more tunable and more performance avail copared to the ZLE range of engines.

SSS_Hoon

SIMid
14th February 2007, 01:45 PM
That idiot P-Plater is DJNIK!!!! *LMAO*

I think he might of done some tinkering under the bonnet. They weigh about the same and maybe the Astra didn't gun it hard enough. :p

Wraith
14th February 2007, 01:46 PM
Nope a Cali T weighs in at around 1420kg.........the 4x4 system adds all the weight.

My V6 Cali weighs in at 1375kg........

Off memory most 2.0ltr N/A's weigh in at about 1290kg......

AH Sri T and VXR weigh around 1362kg ??

As stated above Cali T's can run quick times, but only if highly tuned :)

Wraith
14th February 2007, 01:49 PM
LOL it's DJ nik's Cali :D

Well then I can tell you guys for a fact it ain't stock !!!

He's done a bit of tuning to his car........

We don't know anything about the AH though.

SIMid
14th February 2007, 01:51 PM
AH Sri T and VXR weigh around 1362kg ??
:)

Closer to 1400kg.

OPC
14th February 2007, 01:58 PM
its not the vxr... wheels are different and u cant see the zorst tip from the middle of the rear skirt

Wraith
14th February 2007, 02:10 PM
LOL if that's the case DJ Nik got almost done by an AH Sri t.........:D

A VXR would have hosed him for sure :D

Wraith
14th February 2007, 02:14 PM
Just been on the GMH site and yes Simon is correct....

AH Sri t weighs 1401kg.....that makes it even more embarassing for DJ Nik and his Cali T :D

CAL.16V
14th February 2007, 03:02 PM
as you can see by the comment...

15.4 second time, stuffed the start .. should be in the high 14's stock

are the ah really taht slow compared to the g?

you can see how the 4x4 gets the start on the ah and then bogs down... it should have kept acceleratiung from it off teh start with a good luanch and not accelerated away from it later on

and hiboost was full of i imo... would have had enough problems getting into the 13's let alone 12's lol

saying that plenty of them in uk in low 13's .. need about 350bhp .. 280bhp will get ya a high 13

one 12.8 overseas but that was just 260bhp (chipped) with nos

cally t weighs 1395kg

CAL.16V
14th February 2007, 03:09 PM
heres another one of his videos against commodore vp 5L .. 14.77

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=6555393647344893981

mods are fmic, and cat back 3" exhaust

gets a better start but misses 4th .. (comments on the right of video)

blueraven
14th February 2007, 04:36 PM
are the ah really taht slow compared to the g?

they weigh about 100kg more apparently..so yeah, it would certainly be a noticable difference.

Shaun
14th February 2007, 04:43 PM
i remember a certain NA calibra's nose being at the rear end of a G SRi T one sunday morning from a set of traffic lights heading out to katoomba..

altho the astra was being driven by Captain Slow :p

I remember that Astra beating a Audi A3 with the same engine as a Golf though...

blueraven
14th February 2007, 04:54 PM
with cars like these, all you have to do to lose a second across a 1/4 mile is stuff one gearchange, then its all over. Same goes on the road, miss a gear or change to early/late, and you can/will be toast by a similar car.

Wraith
14th February 2007, 05:57 PM
with cars like these, all you have to do to lose a second across a 1/4 mile is stuff one gearchange, then its all over. Same goes on the road, miss a gear or change to early/late, and you can/will be toast by a similar car.

Yep, this is true and BTW DJ Niks Cali ain't stock........we'll put it down to him having a bad day at the drags :D

Caly2c
14th February 2007, 08:18 PM
Its got minimal mods though man.

Only other thing its got which Pat didnt mention (however minor) is BOV.

So with some more tuning and an EVO 3 Chip he could do quite well 8)

He does have a big shopping list other than that chip as well :lol:

DJNIK
14th February 2007, 11:58 PM
thax guys,
lets clear this topic :P
my car has FMIC (it need tuning after this mod coz cooler is prity big and gives me lag and back fireing), hks SSQV bov (no preformance there) and 3" with high flow cat. stock dump pipe. i have boost isues since i got the car normaly is less then standard. my wheels are 18" with 40 profile wich is equivalent to 19" set up for cali as in radius. as far for astra is stock. i had 3 runs that night with that one being 2nd with my 2nd best time of 15.4 (astra 15.6) i had no 4*4 adventage coz i stuffed at take of, if u see 2d clip against vp that was almost perfect take off with 14.7 1/4 and i missed 4th gear. my last run was 15.6 against wrx, there i stuffed take off copletly and i missed 2nd gear

how ever, befiore i was saying wich car is faster and all blah blah blah, u'll never run perfect time, it aint easy, that was my first time on drag strip in front of hundreds of people, every car its different even the same model.

before any comments , take ur car do drag strip and do ur time, as i said on cali forums im waiting for my brother (dc2 type r) and my friend(s15) to beat my time before i do it again, ur mostly wecome to join me /us for small $40

i hope this helps peepz i hope for someone else to do this in the name of science ;)

catch all

blueraven
15th February 2007, 12:28 AM
i ran about 8 times tonight, my 3 best were all 14.1, but my worst was as high as 14.8, just becuase i wasnt shifting quick enough. like i said before, stuff just one little thing up and it can add a whole second to your time. Terminal speeds varied from 155 to 173kph.

oh and by the way, i know 14.1 for my car is really crappy, my launches were supremely crap, with massive wheelspin in 1st and 2nd (2.5/2.6 second 60 foot times :() my tyres are avg and the 18s dont help either. but with some more practice and maybe some better tyres on 17's to get my 60ft time closer to 2.0 ...its a mid/low 13's car easy :)

SSS_Hoon
15th February 2007, 10:05 AM
BR take 20-40kw off ya power and times will improve.

still good work none the less guys.

4*4 take off is only worth it if u get it spot on if not then you bog right down.

my best is a 16.1 but i know the car will do mid to high 15's for sure, i will be going out there again one day soon i hope.

SSS_Hoon

blueraven
15th February 2007, 01:24 PM
BR take 20-40kw off ya power ...
SSS_Hoon

wash your mouth out!! :D:D

SSS_Hoon
15th February 2007, 04:41 PM
wash your mouth out!! :D:D

hehehehe

just tring to help ya is all..... :D

some decent tires and better 60ft times will get you there for sure man, hell i was getting 2.4 60ft with my SSS hehehe

SSS_Hoon

blueraven
15th February 2007, 05:32 PM
yeah i have had 2.4 before..and 2.2 in my calibra.

But some onf the guys here have had nearly 2.0 flat with stock wheels.

DJNIK
15th February 2007, 11:35 PM
my one was 2.23 on 14.7s run

Tfer
15th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Regardless.... I have never tried this sort of thing before.... so my hat off to you DJNik..... good effort nonetheless :)

CAL.16V
16th February 2007, 03:07 AM
my one was 2.23 on 14.7s run

with a good luanch you'll get under 2 ... put the stockies on and if you get under 2 you'll be able to get a much better time

DJNIK
17th February 2007, 12:56 PM
i'll run it as every day car not as a 1/4 mile chaser :), though i'll have to use stockies for trips to mt buller ;)

dug74
17th February 2007, 01:22 PM
I did my first run on the strip last week...and my car is new...so i didnt really know how to drive it.

My first few runs were crap...got like 15.1 and 14.9. After some practise and a few runs,i started to get better. <learning the takeoff is the hard part>. Reaction time was 0.9144.

On my best run, i did 2.1304 @ 60ft...which was quite good. And finished with a time i was very happy about. Im sure i will do better, as the MPS is a car you have to learn to drive.

Also i missed 3rd gear on my 2nd run down the track and i know how that feels. <red face>

Well done man....

Cheers
DUG74

Apex
19th February 2007, 03:16 PM
Closer to 1400kg.

My Astra H SRI weighs 1360kg, maybe it’s a Type-R model :D

Can’t wait to have a go on the drag strip after a few improvements are performed (I don’t want to be to badly embarrassed by the Jap brigade) im sure as stock it should run a low to mid 15sec pass, my 22year old Corolla runs a 15.9 pass and its stock apart from a striped interior!

Good to se a AH on the strip giving it a go, I bet he was of to the tuners first thing Monday morning!:o