PDA

View Full Version : 01 TS Ticking

vxgen3
13th February 2007, 08:03 PM
Hey guys this is my first post. Im usually on ls1.com but have a question regarding my wifes astra.
I had the timing belt/tensioner replaced last year as recommended and because it was making a ticking noise. Problem is the ticking noise is still there. Seems to be only when the car is in gear(auto) and not sure but think the a/c gets teh ticking going as well.
Ive taken it back but they reckon its no prob. This cant be right considering ive replace the belt/tensioner.
Can any of you guys point me in the right directuion as to the cause? Maybe its something else and not the belt. Ever since tehy did the belt change nothing has changed.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Daniel

Tfer
13th February 2007, 08:09 PM
Probably a good idea to post in the Astra section.... you may get a better response. :)

Good luck though ;)

MatsHolden
13th February 2007, 08:58 PM
Have a look at all your belts and pullys and make sure there isn't a stone or some other debris stuck in. This will cause a ticking sound as the debris passes over. Also an obvious one but make sure the oil's fine...

KID_SRi
13th February 2007, 09:39 PM
The Tappets could be loose(out of adjustment).
Does it sound like a Old Sewing Machine?

DirtyHarry
13th February 2007, 09:48 PM
test this.
when you start it cold, does it tick? or does the ticking start after the car has warmed up a little.
if it does that, that is the little vacuum thing for the emission/carbon box thing on the drivers side wheel guard. thats quite normal on the astra's.
thats if its that what your talking about.

InsaneAsylum
13th February 2007, 10:01 PM
are you sure it's not just the injectors pulsing?

vxgen3
13th February 2007, 10:36 PM
The Tappets could be loose(out of adjustment).
Does it sound like a Old Sewing Machine?
Its more like a ticking/rattling sound. Sorry for the lame description. Its usually when the cars warmed up. When the ac is on it makes the sound and when i turn the ac of it stops or quitens. Doesnt happen in park or neutral either.

platypus
13th February 2007, 11:12 PM
loose tappets (self adjusting buckets they are) would be quite likely, i'd check the gaps with a feeler gauge... as to your next question - i don't know the clearances... i'll try hunt it down for ya...

oh and inspect your accessory belt... it may have a knick in it

other possibility is a worn clutch on your ac pump - is it very noisy when engaging/disengaging?