PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On the Holden Calibra

dsh31k
12th February 2007, 11:42 PM
hey there people...

my girlfriend is in the stage of looking for a car and we both have come across the holden calibra....the two that we have found are both NON turbo 2L's.

they both have the pro's and con's.
first calibra is a 94' manual...
its pro's
bodykit
wheels
full major service
new gearbox 3000km ago.

its con's
240,000kms on dial
its had to have the gear box changed.

is km's a real issue?? like are the engines long lasting?? and say i was to buy it, like are parts and engines hard to come by in sydney/? and is it as pricey as my astra?

the second one is just one i have found on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-opel-Calibra_W0QQitemZ180082874498QQihZ008QQcategoryZ13 5404QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

she used to have a swift GTI and it just is too damn old... so i want her to get a decent car but at the $6-8000 mark there are a few options but she wants somethin that will stand out and something that aint a **** box.

my opinion is they are classy looking for a euro... but i dont know much bout them...

blueraven
12th February 2007, 11:45 PM
have a look on www.clubcalibra.org :) there is a buyers guide :)

poita
12th February 2007, 11:58 PM
very nice choice, buy one. you know you want to :D

Wraith
13th February 2007, 08:40 AM
I have had one now for almost 5 years.

It's a V6 auto and is used as a daily driver and am very happy with it - it so far has not missed a single beat :)

But having said that, I would never buy one unless it was in perfectly sound mechanical condition, these cars have a well founded reputation of things going wrong all the time.

Besides mechanical faults, other things can be fixed rather easily and cheaply, but mechanicals can be another matter.

when I purchased mine it only had 36,000km on the odemeter and was mechanically and body condition wise excellent - that's the only reason why I purchsed it.

These days it's hard to find an example like that, but if it's what you really want and they are dirt cheap these days, then go for it, but be fussy, take your time to find the best one possible and get it thouroughly checked out at a garage (RACV or VACC check) and go to the trouble of checking it's history through the RTA and Holden head office, they have all of it's past history details.

Good luck with it all :)

Tricky Ricky
13th February 2007, 10:39 AM
Have had one since Aug 00 (6.5 years now) and have had no problems with it apart from the time when the fuel pump relay went. It's never been replaced since it was new and after $90 the car was all good again. The mileage is 190,000 now but it still feels very solid, you can't get that in a Japanese car. Not to mention it's got such a sexy shape :D

Wraith
13th February 2007, 11:02 AM
The mileage is 190,000 now but it still feels very solid, you can't get that in a Japanese car. Not to mention it's got such a sexy shape :D

You most certainly can........

My old AE82 Corolla had over 350,000km on it when I let it go......

It hadn't been serviced 'at all' for for over 120,000km over a 6 year period and never had a single problem !! not even a blown bulb !!

After nearly 7 years of driving it into the ground and absolutely NOT looking after it - it felt as solid and composed as the day I purchased it.

Try getting that from a Calibra, any Calibra........no chance ;)

However I do concede, the Calibra is one of the best looking mass produced cars ever made - that is honestly the main reason why people who own one have one.

And it is also why the O/S Astra G Coupe and new AH Astra 3 door models look so good, they've inhereted the stylish upper lines of the Cali :)

JasonGilholme
13th February 2007, 11:33 AM
you can't get that in a Japanese car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5qif80xQo

Watch and learn :p

Lets not start the whole jap/euro deal tho. I've had both and the only reason i'm staying with jap is cause of the parts availability and price. i can do the same thing in both types of cars its just that its cheaper to do in a jap car.

Good luck on your purchase too. i've seen some great looking cali's over the years.

oneightoo
13th February 2007, 12:07 PM
ive got two and had my fair share of things going wrong in the last 18 months..

you'll get it in any car that isnt looked after.. and it's not as if holden service department know what they are doing when it came to servicing them.. most dont even know what a calibra is!!

if you find a good one - mechanically - then get it, but be prepared to look after it and treat it well..

Tricky Ricky
13th February 2007, 02:35 PM
OK then I take my comment back....had a Ford Laser before (= Mazda 323) but won't go there.

Anyway as the others said, if you treat her well then it should last you good times. To some it's just transportation from A to B, but having a car that you like improves greatly in the quality of life.....so many days when things get rough at work, or having a bad day, I just look forward to the drive home / night out and then things don't seem too bad :D

JasonGilholme
13th February 2007, 03:19 PM
off topic: Isn't the engine in the mazda 323/ford laser from ford?

Wraith
13th February 2007, 05:43 PM
OK then I take my comment back....had a Ford Laser before (= Mazda 323) but won't go there.

Anyway as the others said, if you treat her well then it should last you good times. To some it's just transportation from A to B, but having a car that you like improves greatly in the quality of life.....so many days when things get rough at work, or having a bad day, I just look forward to the drive home / night out and then things don't seem too bad :D

You've hit the nail on the head, I always feel better when I think about my cars and always look forward to driving them........:)

maloo97
13th February 2007, 07:52 PM
Also on topic. Does anyone know if the sunroof was stock or an option ?

oneightoo
13th February 2007, 09:11 PM
in australia it was stock.. only in the later models (and there is only a handful, most have the sunroof) did they not have a sunroof.. reason being, the V6 and turbo were out, they were to be a selling point for those..

Calibrated
13th February 2007, 09:16 PM
im also hot on the market for one as you guys know..lol..

auzvectra
13th February 2007, 09:38 PM
too lazy to read all the posts :).
there was a astra F for sale on here, i beleive it still is, for $6K.
it's a GSI also, so has the 2.0L motor n a decent amount of go, and it's yellow so it stands out, and has the body kit to match (being the gsi).

auzvectra
13th February 2007, 09:41 PM
off topic: Isn't the engine in the mazda 323/ford laser from ford?

nope, it is a mazda motor, as is the car :), with some model slightly different along the line.
but the laser 1.6L is basically the same motor as in the mx5, as is the laser 1.8L, in the sportier n later model mx5.

maloo97
13th February 2007, 11:54 PM
So matt a 96 model would not have the sunroof.

poita
13th February 2007, 11:55 PM
same as ford capri and mazda familia also

poita
13th February 2007, 11:56 PM
So matt a 96 model would not have the sunroof.

my 95 has no sunroof

oneightoo
14th February 2007, 07:05 AM
hehe and you're a little a touchy about the "restricted ventilation" too :p

all the 96 models i saw had a sunroof..

Tfer
14th February 2007, 08:03 AM
The Calibras are an awesome looking Opel.... the best one by far :)

maloo97
14th February 2007, 08:47 AM
hehe and you're a little a touchy about the "restricted ventilation" too :p

all the 96 models i saw had a sunroof..

thanks dude.

Wraith
14th February 2007, 09:00 AM
The Calibras are an awesome looking Opel.... the best one by far :)

That's correct........I'm still finding it hard to replace mine ATM, because I feel all the hot hatch replacements I'm looking at are inferior in looks compared to my Calibra.

Like I've previously stated, this is the reason why people have them and it's why the 3 door AH's look good and why the Astra G Coupe version looks so good, as they feature the upper body styling of the Cali.

Also regarding sunroofs, I've yet to see one without, they were a standard feature, but on post'95 ecotech 2.0ltr N/A they were deleted, but could still be fitted as an option, hence why there are only very few without, as most first buyers opted to have one, all V6 and turbo models have a sunroof.

Tfer
14th February 2007, 09:06 AM
That's correct........I'm still finding it hard to replace mine ATM, because I feel all the hot hatch replacements I'm looking at are inferior in looks compared to my Calibra.

Like I've previously stated, this is the reason why people have them and it's why the 3 door AH's look good and why the Astra G Coupe version looks so good, as they feature the upper body styling of the Cali.

Also regarding sunroofs, I've yet to see one without, they were a standard feature, but on post'95 ecotech 2.0ltr N/A they were deleted, but could still be fitted as an option, hence why there are only very few without, as most first buyers opted to have one, all V6 and turbo models have a sunroof.

And the Calibras make me realise just how bluntly ugly the Veccy C really is.... not that i mind though (the Veccy C has great road prescence), but just not as "in proportion" as a Cali ;)

The Don
14th February 2007, 09:12 AM
There is absolutely no way in hell that I'd sell a zook gti for a calibra.

zook gti > calibra... no offence to anyone but a zook gti is a well respected cult car with a huge load of potential.

If it's getting old... get the thing resprayed, upholstered and work the engine.

There you go... all good :)

Wraith
14th February 2007, 09:24 AM
What's a 'zook' gti and who's selling one for a Cali :confused:

There are heaps of cars out there better than a Cali, I think most would agree to that, the Calis looks and timeless design are it's strong point and trade mark ;)

oneightoo
14th February 2007, 12:53 PM
And the Calibras make me realise just how bluntly ugly the Veccy C really is.... not that i mind though (the Veccy C has great road prescence), but just not as "in proportion" as a Cali ;)

2 completely different cars aimed at 2 completely different markets, if the vectra was made to look sexy it'd be called a calibra :p

a friend of mine commented on my blue calibra just last weekend actually.. she asked how old it was, i told her a 94, she nearly fainted.. she said it looked like a car made in the 2000's..

its not the only time someone couldnt believe that thats the body styling they had from 91 onwards..

Wraith
14th February 2007, 12:59 PM
The body styling is actually from the mid to late '80's :)

Remember they were first released and went on sale in Europe during 1989.

I too have had many comments on how good the car looks and then freak them out when I've told them it's almost a 20 year old design :D

Like I said timeless good looks - one of the few things I'll always hold in high regard for this car.

BTW I'm still wondering WTH a 'zook' gti is ??

Tfer
14th February 2007, 01:41 PM
2 completely different cars aimed at 2 completely different markets, if the vectra was made to look sexy it'd be called a calibra :p

a friend of mine commented on my blue calibra just last weekend actually.. she asked how old it was, i told her a 94, she nearly fainted.. she said it looked like a car made in the 2000's..

its not the only time someone couldnt believe that thats the body styling they had from 91 onwards..

I know Matt... but my old Veccy B had some similar styling cues as the Calibra (after a couple of stiff drinks and by squitting at it :p )..... I want one I guess :D

I too have had many comments on how good the car looks and then freak them out when I've told them it's almost a 20 year old design :D

Like I said timeless good looks - one of the few things I'll always hold in high regard for this car.

BTW I'm still wondering WTH a 'zook' gti is ??

I think a "zook" gti is a suzuki swift gti..... the only car mentioned in the first post :confused:

Wraith
14th February 2007, 01:55 PM
Oh I see, thanks for that :)

mmmm, think I'd have my Cali over one of those, regardless of the performance difference :rolleyes:

oneightoo
14th February 2007, 02:53 PM

lol even better then :D

Oh I see, thanks for that :)

mmmm, think I'd have my Cali over one of those, regardless of the performance difference :rolleyes:

agreed 100%

maloo97
14th February 2007, 04:23 PM
Bit off topic here but Wraith any chance of a couple of pics of your cali?:D

Wraith
14th February 2007, 06:01 PM

Sure can do my friend, I'm as proud of my Cali (almost) as I am of my vert - I'll post them up for you here tomorrow :)

poita
14th February 2007, 07:01 PM
yer i would keep mine over a swift any day of teh week

Wraith
15th February 2007, 08:46 AM

Here you go Maloo
http://i18.tinypic.com/4g7gf9j.jpg
With 17's
http://i9.tinypic.com/2ymzxg8.jpg
Front on
http://i16.tinypic.com/2mre1yo.jpg
Close up of the 17's
http://i18.tinypic.com/43n9s01.jpg
My Cali's curent look with 18's. It's even had 20's fitted for a short period :D

Tfer
15th February 2007, 09:03 AM
Wraith..... very smooth and very classic Calibra :clap: :clap: :clap:

SIMid
15th February 2007, 09:15 AM
Looks great with the rims.

......... and what's wrong with Magma Red eh??? :p

maloo97
15th February 2007, 01:25 PM
Wraith your calibra is hot.
Nice work,

Love the side indercaters

What your model is it ?

Btw thanks for the pics :D :D :D

poita
16th February 2007, 01:12 AM
very nice ange, still not sure on teh tail lights though.

heres a pic of mine, is a 95' model.
needs lowering badly, springs and shocks on the way :)

http://i13.tinypic.com/4e18ryb.jpg

Wraith
16th February 2007, 08:47 AM
Wraith your calibra is hot.
Nice work,

Love the side indercaters

What your model is it ?

Btw thanks for the pics :D :D :D

Thanks Maloo.

Side repeaters are Focus style ones - now waiting to get flammed by all the Ford haters hehehe :D they do IMHO suit much better than the stock ones and much better than other aftermarket ones I've seen going around ;)

The car has many other mods/enhancements, but I'll talk about that some other time - too much to mention.......

It's a 1999 V6...after extensive research, I believe I have the last one sold in Australia and youngest Cali - by first road registered date ie.

It was left behind afer they were removed them from showroom floors during 1997 and was sent back to GMH head office to be used as a company car - but it never happened, so in 1998 when one certain female (the 1st owner) was seeking to buy a new Cali, she got lucky :) except for the new car price - 53k :eek:
I then came along in 2002 and acquired it off her with only 36,000km on it for 19k :D

So far so good, everything works, it hasn't logged a single fault code - yet - and has been running perfectly, my fingers are always crossed though, you have to with these cars ;)

Some info for you:

Build date: July 1995
Complied date: December 1998
First registered date: February 1999
Current odometer reading: 68,000km

I have it insured as a 1998 Calibra, as there are a number of others out there with 1998 reg. but mine is the only 1999 on record, so the insurance companies don't want to have a single car listing for that year and have bumped it back into the '98 group - fine by me, as I have had it viewed/inspected by them and given an agreed cover value of 17k :)

Hi Poita, I see your red ecotech beauty is still looking good....mags look nice :)

oneightoo
16th February 2007, 11:32 AM
you have an agreed value cover of 17K?!!

Tfer
16th February 2007, 11:37 AM
very nice ange, still not sure on teh tail lights though.

heres a pic of mine, is a 95' model.
needs lowering badly, springs and shocks on the way :)

Nice and smooth Poita.... :)

From Bundaberg hey..... that's where my sister is :D

Thanks Maloo.

Side repeaters are Focus style ones - now waiting to get flammed by all the Ford haters hehehe :D they do IMHO suit much better than the stock ones and much better than other aftermarket ones I've seen going around ;)

The car has many other mods/enhancements, but I'll talk about that some other time - too much to mention.......

It's a 1999 V6...after extensive research, I believe I have the last one sold in Australia and youngest Cali - by first road registered date ie.

It was left behind afer they were removed them from showroom floors during 1997 and was sent back to GMH head office to be used as a company car - but it never happened, so in 1998 when one certain female (the 1st owner) was seeking to buy a new Cali, she got lucky :) except for the new car price - 53k :eek:
I then came along in 2002 and acquired it off her with only 36,000km on it for 19k :D

So far so good, everything works, it hasn't logged a single fault code - yet - and has been running perfectly, my fingers are always crossed though, you have to with these cars ;)

Some info for you:

Build date: July 1995
Complied date: December 1998
First registered date: February 1999
Current odometer reading: 68,000km

I have it insured as a 1998 Calibra, as there are a number of others out there with 1998 reg. but mine is the only 1999 on record, so the insurance companies don't want to have a single car listing for that year and have bumped it back into the '98 group - fine by me, as I have had it viewed/inspected by them and given an agreed cover value of 17k :)

Hi Poita, I see your red ecotech beauty is still looking good....mags look nice :)

What a buy Wraith..... awesome :dance:

you have an agreed value cover of 17K?!!

Is this good or bad? :confused:

oneightoo
16th February 2007, 11:39 AM
thats very good, considering you can buy a good turbo model for less than that..

i got given an agreed value of 12k..

Tfer
16th February 2007, 11:47 AM
thats very good, considering you can buy a good turbo model for less than that..

i got given an agreed value of 12k..

Ahh.... I see, well that is particularly great then.

Matt... are you still thinking of selling one of yours? ;)

oneightoo
16th February 2007, 01:03 PM
yeah i will be selling my red one.. soon.. although its not as good looking as wraith's or poita's..

Wraith
16th February 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi guys.....

Yes, I've got a current agreed value of 17k on my Cali.

As I've stated I had to have it inspected to achive that, otherwise they were only willing to give $13,500.

True that theses days ALL Cali's are worth alot less than that - most sell for under 10k regardless of model.

But I wanted better, because mine is in truly immac. condition, inside and outside and mechanically perfect with very low mileage + I've added no less than 10k's worth of accessories to it.

It was my intention until mid last year to keep her long term, hence I went to the above mentioned effort with insurance, but now I'm not so sure how long I'll keep her - I'm starting to get itchy for a change and there's no way in hell I'm getting rid of my vert and I can't have/store away more than 3 cars at once, so the Cali will have to go if I decide to buy something else.....

maloo97
16th February 2007, 02:22 PM
Wraith top work mate.. sooooo nice.

Btw pplz i just brought a cali and i pick it up tonight.
Will post pics then.

Now i need some badges hehe

Wraith
16th February 2007, 03:55 PM
Congrats Maloo, what model did you end getting :)

Didn't know you were in the market for a Cali....

Are you also a multiple car and multiple Opel owner too now ? :)

Calibra and Astra like myself ;)

Look forward to the pics :)

maloo97
16th February 2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks wraith. Mate iv been looking into calibra's for a while and now well i decided to either buy a Tr astra gsi or a cailbra.

It is very hard to find a good gsi around. I did find one but by the time i get to the dudes place it was sold. So my next best was this Calibra.

its a 1996 model 2.0 L

Manual

100,000 kms

$7500. Clean looking actually the guy is a 1 owner and its in top condition.

Oh by the way its RED!!! lol ... no sunroof devoed but nice nice car.

Post pics tonight

maloo97
16th February 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh and yes i am also a multiple Opel owner now
1) Ts Astra
2) Ye Calibra

:D

Wraith
16th February 2007, 04:14 PM
That makes you and I blood brothers :D

Both of us have a silver Astra and red Cali LOL :D

Great minds think alike ;)

The Cali you got sounds indeed like a good buy :)

Low km's and buying from the original owner is always the best way to go with a s/h car - your only the second owner and can map out it's history very easily compared to being a 3rd or 4th or 5th owner.....:)

Is it

maloo97
16th February 2007, 04:21 PM
Yeh wraith blood brothers sounds good lol.

The bloke has all log books , invoice from sale. and every thing noted down what has been done / brought for the car.

Very happy.

Cheers Dave.

Tfer
16th February 2007, 04:21 PM
yeah i will be selling my red one.. soon.. although its not as good looking as wraith's or poita's..

Can you pm me some pictures please..... and your price? :)

Tfer
16th February 2007, 04:22 PM
Yeh wraith blood brothers sounds good lol.

The bloke has all log books , invoice from sale. and every thing noted down what has been done / brought for the car.

Very happy.

Cheers Dave.

Congratulations :D

poita
16th February 2007, 06:18 PM
congrats on the buy maloo :)
join up over at www.clubcalibra.org if ur not already a member
will give me and ange some backup, as we are a rare breed of calibra owners without a sunroof!

SIMid
16th February 2007, 10:23 PM
as we are a rare breed of calibra owners without a sunroof!

Cant take the heat?? :p

Open your sun ....... oops!

poita
16th February 2007, 11:04 PM
come on simon, giving me **** on two forums already isnt enough for you is it!!

im second owner of my car ange, a doctor in melbourne owned it before me.
had a couple of kids needed a bigger car. had 69k on the clock back then. not bad in 7 yrs!

have an agreed value of 15k with my car, this includes the wheels and stereo too

Wraith
18th February 2007, 11:03 AM
hahahah LOL don't let Simon get to ya Poita - he will try :D

Not sure if I read one of the above posts correctly, but my Cali has a sunroof, Maloo's is like yours Poita, ie: without.

Not to worry as long as the rest of the car is good :)

I remember this topic being brought up a while ago on one the Cali forums, ie: older N/A 16V with sunroof vs much newer and lower km's ecothech 16V without sunroof, not that I'm a fan of 16V Cali's, but given the choice - then as now, I'm with you 2 guys (ie Poita and Maloo) and would prefer the newer car with less km's and only 1 previous owner anyday :)

With Cali's the newer they are and the lower km's they have the better ;)

poita
18th February 2007, 08:42 PM
i think i was halucinating ange lol
not really sure where i got the idea u didnt have a sunroof!
the main reason for not wanting one was my parents had a car a few yrs back and nothing but troubles with it.
in the end the sunroof actually rusted out of the vehicle, clogged drain pipes and mis-care byt eh previous owner.
so this is y i dont and never will own a car with a sunroof

maloo97
18th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Hey guys here are the pics of my car. (Off Fone)
bit of a deley as i had a death in the family and will not use the forum as much for a while but anyways here it is.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/Maloo97/Image0055.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/Maloo97/Daves-2.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/Maloo97/Image0011-1.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/Maloo97/Image0000.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/Maloo97/Image004.jpg

Wraith
19th February 2007, 08:53 AM
Great stuff Maloo, she looks clean and neat, already sporting some mags too - bonus :)

Hi Poita, yes sunroofs can indeed do that to a car, I've seen plenty of older cars which have been killed by rust and leaks from the sunroof, but these were all aftermarket or 'backyard' jobs.

Factory designed and 'built in' sunroofs like those of the Cali will rarely have that problem as the fitting and fit of all the components is precise and there's a proper water drainage system built in as well.

All the metal folds and ends are painted and covered like the rest of the body metal work of the car, so it's all ok.

Even factory installed kits - after the car is made, like the HSV ones on Holdens for example, are not as good as sunroofs which are born as an integral part of the car :)

Calibrated
6th March 2007, 11:27 AM
that was on carsales right???

i envy you..

theres buggerall cali's in qld...

Calibrated
6th March 2007, 11:28 AM

mail me pics and specs NOW!!!

[email protected]

oneightoo
6th March 2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8752

altho it has changed a bit recently..

PM me for more details..

Calibrated
6th March 2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8752

altho it has changed a bit recently..

PM me for more details..

You have PM, now hurry and reply..

Tfer
7th March 2007, 09:38 AM
Ashley..... have patience, we know the money is burning a hole in your pocket...... :p

oneightoo
8th March 2007, 12:28 PM
You have PM, now hurry and reply..

lol ive been busy moving house..

you have a reply PM