PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

seldo
10th February 2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Guys - my first post here so be kind... I usually hang out at LS1.com.au since my car is a HSV Senator, but I've just ordered a new CDX Coupe for my missus and I'd like to put some 17s on it but can't seem to get much help from the couple of wheel/tyre blokes I've spoken to.
So, any suggestions, or even better still point me in the direction of some photos .
Thanks - seems like a good forum.
Cheers

Wraith
10th February 2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Seldo and welcome :)

Don't worry about your LS1 ownership, there are other V8 people on this forum as well - me for one :)

I used to own a LS1 powered HSV R8 and have always owned V8's since I was 19 (ie: for over 21 years now) and can't wait to get another - just waiting for GMH to do a 2 door VE !!

Now to your mag question, (I'm assuming your CDX Astra has 5 stud wheels) the reason you won't find many choices is because of the Opel 5 stud pattern PCD, which is 5x110 - the 4 stud 4x100 has many more choices.

You also need to be careful with the offset and will have to stick to ET of 42 and above.

Most wheel outlets won't have much to offer, but what you can do is look at wheels with a PCD of 5x112 or 5x114.3 and if you find a style with correct size and offset, you can have them re-drilled to 5x110.

Have a look in the members cars section for some ideas of mag styles.

All the best with it, let us know how you go :)

seldo
10th February 2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks Wraith - that's a good start :)

EL BURITO
10th February 2007, 02:51 PM
www.bsawheels.com.au/users/special.aspx

work out wat u want check the spec and they will drill em to suit, take a bit longer but they have some good options.

seldo
10th February 2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for that too Laurie :)

Ishley
10th February 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys - my first post here so be kind... I usually hang out at LS1.com.au since my car is a HSV Senator, but I've just ordered a new CDX Coupe for my missus and I'd like to put some 17s on it but can't seem to get much help from the couple of wheel/tyre blokes I've spoken to.
So, any suggestions, or even better still point me in the direction of some photos .
Thanks - seems like a good forum.
Cheers
Why not get the optional 18's or 19's from Holden. We have them on our CDX and they look great :)

Wraith
11th February 2007, 10:32 AM
Good one Ishley, I think that's exactly what his gone and done :)

imay
11th February 2007, 12:05 PM
Somewhat related to this thread is the current media commentary on the correct "wheel load rating" of after market wheels.
I understand (sort of) "tyre load rating" but what is this wheel load rating? Minimum tyre rating is marked on the tyre placard and clearly marked on the tyre side wall. Where is the wheel rating "advertised" and how/when/where does it apply?

I know of a guy who put aftermarket alloys on his Holden ute (looked nice . . . for a ute!), and the insurance company he's been with for years (loyalty?) won't cover him because the wheels don't meet the required "load rating." He's been told this not only applies to commercial vehicles, but also any other car on the road. He's since sold the wheels and got the ute on the market in disgust.

Anyone with information in this subject?

Wraith
11th February 2007, 01:31 PM
From what I know Ian, that's the 1st case I've ever heard of such a thing.

I've heard of many cases where insurance companies have refused insurance because of under load rated tyres, but not under load rated rims......are you sure he got his facts straight - maybe he had under load rated tyres on his ute :confused:

As far as I know, all rims are made to comply with certain standards for use on motorcars, otherwise they won't make it to the store shelves.

They usually specify also whether a particular type of rim is for passenger cars or SUV usage - the SUV rims would obviously be heavier duty.

You would have a problem like the one described above if you used passenger car rims on an SUV.

Maybe because a ute is a heavy work vehicle, it requires higher load ratings ?

There are a number of markings within all rims, besides the ET number and rim size, one of these probably lists the load rating of the rim.

This is an interesting one and I'll look into it, after all, wheels is one of my fav. car topics....hopefully I'll have some helpful answers.

Blue_Dvl
11th February 2007, 06:31 PM
yeah i think with the holden Commodore ute that is why it comes with 17" instead of 18" for the SS because of load ratings. Also with falcon utes it requires the one-tonne alloys if you chose the one-tonne model to cope with the weight.

When i had my x-trail i purchased some 300zx rims which fit (so do 200sx) but was told the load rating of the wheels was different and could be unsafe. Ended up with genuine x-trail alloys.

Wraith
12th February 2007, 11:42 AM
Checked out one of my sets of aftermarket 20's last night and yes there is a marking within the rim behind one of the spokes (as is the case for ET number and rim size).

It says - VIA 690kg

I assume this is the max. loading for the rim, if you multiply that by 4, this should be the total capacity for all 4 rims, in my case far greater that the weight of the vehicle, so no probs.

These are lightweight rims and the loading is quite high, so not sure about those on the ute in question, but I suppose the capacity of all 4 rims should match or exceed the specified max. 'gross loaded' weight of the vehicle in question.

seldo
12th February 2007, 04:22 PM
I've now been to 4 different wheel places and no-one has anything that I like much and there's bugga-all choice anway because of the odd PCD and off-set.
Can anyone give some brands and styles that are known to fit - pics would be sensational..;) 17s or 18s. At this rate I might be forced to go for the genuine options, but they're very exxie....
Thanks guys. :)

Wraith
12th February 2007, 05:09 PM
Seldo there are heaps of 18" styles with 42-45mm offset or ET, but with PCD of 114.3 - these are made to suit most Japanese cars.

Any of these can be re-drilled as previously mentioned.

Have you been to aftermarket outlets like TTF or similar, places like Bob Janes etc. will try to steer you away from anything that has to be re-drilled and don't carry as much of a range as say the tyre factory outlets....

Grab yourself an Advanti and BSA wheel brochures, lots of other brands as well, can't remember them off the top of my head, but your bound to find something nice :)

seldo
12th February 2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks Wraith.
I just can't get my head around how you can reduce the PCD by re-drilling....unless of course you re-drill with new stud-holes in the gaps in-between the old holes so that you end up with 10 stud-holes...:eek:

imay
12th February 2007, 06:11 PM
this is the max. loading for the rim

the capacity of all 4 rims should match or exceed the specified max. 'gross loaded' weight of the vehicle in question.

Got a bit more information from the guy in question and YES, this is exactly what he has been told. As a "ute" no matter what style, is classed as a commercial (load carrying) vehicle, therefore the rims must be able to carry the TOTAL gross manufacturer specified weight of the vehicle.
You must "assume" you will, at some time, carry a full load onto a building site (. . . in your lowered, $60,000+, V8, fully sick ute/traytop/panel van!!!).

Guess the rule is there for a reason . . .

EL BURITO
12th February 2007, 06:19 PM
BSA wheel brochures,

Nic pointed out to me that they have gone under so u may be able to get some good prices

Wraith
13th February 2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks Wraith.
I just can't get my head around how you can reduce the PCD by re-drilling....unless of course you re-drill with new stud-holes in the gaps in-between the old holes so that you end up with 10 stud-holes...:eek:

Usually what's done is brand new larger and blank steel inserts are fitted to the rims and then drilled (CNC Machinery) precisely to the required PCD.

In actual fact, they sometimes end up being stronger than they originally were !!! You still end up with only 5 holes :)

You can also get multi hole drilled rims straight off the shelf.....10 hole centre rims are not uncommon ;)

Wraith
13th February 2007, 09:00 AM
Nic pointed out to me that they have gone under so u may be able to get some good prices

BSA are huge both nationally and internationally, I recently purchased a set of 'blank' 20's 'directly' from them and they were in no sign of trouble........

BUT, even if they were going under, someone else would just take over the name and inventory that they have, you would still be able to buy their wheels :)

seldo
13th February 2007, 10:07 AM
Usually what's done is brand new larger and blank steel inserts are fitted to the rims and then drilled (CNC Machinery) precisely to the required PCD.

Okay! Now you are making sense... Thanks

Wraith
13th February 2007, 01:24 PM
Let us know how you go Seldo :)

BTW my little avatar pic shows my BSA set of 20's :)

rjastra
13th February 2007, 03:14 PM
It's BBS that have gone under

Wraith
13th February 2007, 05:46 PM
That straightens things up a little :)

Not surprising though, I once enquired for a set of BBS 19" LeMans.......$10,000 all up with tyres :eek:

LOL they wouldn't be selling too many at those prices ;)

seldo
16th February 2007, 09:49 AM
In my quest for some wheels I came across this link which is pretty handy.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

MatsHolden
16th February 2007, 10:58 AM
Why not get the optional 18's or 19's from Holden. We have them on our CDX and they look great :)

They only have 18's. (Turbo wheels) And they're $2k for just the rims!

MatsHolden
16th February 2007, 10:59 AM
yeah i think with the holden Commodore ute that is why it comes with 17" instead of 18" for the SS because of load ratings. Also with falcon utes it requires the one-tonne alloys if you chose the one-tonne model to cope with the weight.

When i had my x-trail i purchased some 300zx rims which fit (so do 200sx) but was told the load rating of the wheels was different and could be unsafe. Ended up with genuine x-trail alloys.

The current SS ute comes with 18's...

seldo
16th February 2007, 11:09 AM
They only have 18's. (Turbo wheels) And they're $2k for just the rims!
I was quoted $3600 wheel/tyre or $3180 if they traded the original tyres :eek: . Holden's web-site gives several other alternatives but they are all at simply crazy prices...
But, I think I've settled on some wheels for about half that, so all's good.

Wraith
16th February 2007, 01:06 PM
Forget factory rims, if you really must have them, look for a s/h set, that'll cost you a fraction of the new cost.

Lots of wheel and tyre outlets have stocks of used factory rims - maybe search around a few....

My advice is to go aftermarket - mostly they look much better than factory rims and are reasonably priced and help to give 'your' car it's own 'unique' look - separating it from the rest of the crowd, don't know about you guys, but I like my cars looking different and hopefully better than others of the same type out there :)

There is no other external accessory that will add as much of an impact and change the look of your car (hopefully for the better) than a set of mags ;)

That's why I'm so into them and are one of the first of 3 mandatory upgrades/changes I do to any car I acquire :)

seldo
26th February 2007, 02:34 PM
Well, I finally managed to get some wheels that I'm happy with. I settled on the 17" Diablo Racers in Silver. Did a great deal thanks to Payless Tyres in Chullora in Sydney :)

http://images.cainer.net//uploads/diablo.jpg

As a consequence i will have a brand new set of original 16x6.5 AH CDX alloys and Bridgie 205/55/16s for sale done less than 30km. Cheap upgrade for someone...

Wraith
27th February 2007, 04:51 PM
They look good Seldo and will suit the car very well ;)

Pity you didn't go for the 18's in that style :(

seldo
27th February 2007, 06:05 PM
They look good Seldo and will suit the car very well ;)

Pity you didn't go for the 18's in that style :(
Thanks - I like them. If it had been for me I would have but I didn't want to spoil the ride for her - she's a sheila after all..;) Besides which - they will probably have gutter-rash in the first week...:(
But what a battle just to find some that a) I like, and b) are available to fit the car, and c) I can justify the price.... I went to 5 different wheel places in Bris and ended up getting them from Sydney in the end

Wraith
28th February 2007, 11:17 AM
Alls well that ends well :)

Post some pics once you've got em on :)

seldo
26th March 2007, 09:59 PM
Thought I'd post up some pics
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/seldo_bucket/Astra001.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/seldo_bucket/Astra002.jpg

poita
26th March 2007, 10:21 PM
wow they look nice, very nice indeed

li@m
26th March 2007, 11:51 PM
lol i'm looking at the exact same wheels for my barina...was going to pick up a set over the easter break.

mind if i ask how much they cost? tempe tyres has them up for $1100 fitted at the moment.

Wraith
27th March 2007, 08:25 AM
Looks great Seldo........they really suit the AH !

Nice n neat :)

btm
27th March 2007, 09:04 AM
i like i like!

seldo
27th March 2007, 11:12 AM
lol i'm looking at the exact same wheels for my barina...was going to pick up a set over the easter break.

mind if i ask how much they cost? tempe tyres has them up for $1100 fitted at the moment.
I got mine from Payless Tyres at Chullora
http://www.ls1.com.au/adserver/adimage.php?filename=payless.jpg&contenttype=jpeg (http://www.ls1.com.au/adserver/adclick.php?bannerid=130&zoneid=4&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paylesstyres.com%2F)
Speak to Jeff - tell him I sent you. (It won't help you one bit, but makes me feel good.;)).

SIMid
27th March 2007, 09:52 PM
Looks really nice and simple!

Just make sure U dont drive up that one way street.

seldo
27th March 2007, 10:57 PM
Looks really nice and simple!

Just make sure U dont drive up that one way street.
:doh: I wondered why everyone was going the opposite way.....;) I actually ordered the wheels with matching silver centre-caps but I have to wait for them to arrive -should look better still...

btm
28th March 2007, 08:26 AM
I actually ordered the wheels with matching silver centre-caps but I have to wait for them to arrive -should look better still...
actually, that will make it look heaps better!

not a fan of the chrome look in the centre