PDA

View Full Version : turbo timer

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:13 PM
for all u guys with SRi-t do you guys have turbo timers? i'm interested in getting one and wanted to know if any1 has any suggestions...

Im pretty intersted in the FATT X by Blitz what are you thoughts about it?

Turblue
25th May 2004, 06:19 PM
Waste of money....... Sit in the car for a minute.

I let my car run for a minute while I put the steering lock on and generally get ready to get out. Don't waste ya cash.....

Yes Jass I know it's a gadget etc etc etc... :mrgreen:

Basically, if you don't flog the car, don't worry. If you do, just drive the last few minutes queitly and sit for a minute idling... That's all you need to do.

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:23 PM
hrmmz good point, how about boost gauge? worth it?

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 06:26 PM
boost gauge yes! best way to know if your spooling right.

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:29 PM
any recommendations?

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 06:32 PM
nice greddy or apexi one :D

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:33 PM
thanks i was thinking Apexi :D

Turblue
25th May 2004, 07:01 PM
For a guy that runs a NA car, damm you know a lot..!!!!!

Ok, my 10cents...

FULLY SIK MATE...!!!!! HOW MUCH BOOOOOST YA RUNNING MATE..????

Got the idea..??? I barely ever look at mine.

Put it this way. You are prepared to spend about $200-300 on a timer. Then $200-300 for a quality boost gauge. Mine (a HKS 80mm gauge) retails close to $400 I believe.

That's $500. Well, I tell you, you are now 1/3rd of the way to an Amd remap. And guess what..?? That will be much more fun.. :shock:

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 07:07 PM
Wayne, i may run a NA car, but most of my mates are turbo freaks.
Dude, you dont really need a boost gauge, however its good to have once you've done some mods to see if your car is spooling up quicker, if its hitting the right psi etc.
Wayne is right, go the AMD and other real mods first, then get things like a boost gauge etc if you have any $$$ left behind.

Jass
26th May 2004, 06:46 AM
Mate i have a turbo timer, dont waste your money, mine came with the purchase of the car. If your going to be driving like a wanker, and your going to thrash your car then maybe otherwise dont bother.

Also you dont even need to spend heaps of cash on a boost gauge mate, after all you just want the reading of how much boost your running. No need to go all Fast and Furious with Apexi crap everywere.

Turblue
26th May 2004, 07:55 AM
Thank you Jass....!!!!

BTW, If Mr_Astra slaps you, don't worry. It's just me saying hello via a proxy...!! :mrgreen:

Anonymous
26th May 2004, 07:57 AM
Thank you Jass....!!!!

BTW, If Mr_Astra slaps you, don't worry. It's just me saying hello via a proxy...!! :mrgreen:

AHAHAHAHAHA put one in from me too! AHAHAHA nice one Wayne!

Jass
26th May 2004, 08:11 AM
ahh you guys are just ticked off cause iam making fun of your over price cabin gadgets hehehehe :P

Ive got a shitty autometer and it does the job fine

Anonymous
26th May 2004, 08:34 AM
i'm not ticked off, i dont even have a turbo, i just want you to slap Steve coz he's a republican!

rjastra
26th May 2004, 10:15 PM
I have heard that a turbo timer gives a thief an opportunity to steal your vehicle.
During the time it is on someone could effectively drive away in it. Is this true?
Are they actually legal?

Rhino
27th May 2004, 11:36 AM
They're not legal in WA.

If your[sik] going to be driving like a wanker...

We're just enthusiastic Jass :lol:

I only have a boost gauge because it is a function of my boost controller, otherwise, who gives.

As for TT: Drive the last couple of Kms normally, let it idle for a minute, good as gold!

Avoid the small things that make poor ppl poor. Go for the quality bang for your buck mods!!!!

Cybulba
27th May 2004, 11:41 AM
Ive heard if u put a t timer in the car it means u cant lock the car as the imobilizer will over write the timer and cut it off ?? but im not sure how true this is..

Usually if i have been canning the car i will cruz the last 5mins before i get home.. that should be ok then to just turn off the car.

Jass
27th May 2004, 12:37 PM
This is true but there is away around it, dont connect the accesory wire, think its the blue one in the system. Iam yet to look, but ive been told this by a few of the uk boys.

Turblue
27th May 2004, 05:43 PM
I beelieve that leaving a car running and unattended is no a good idea.

Some timers wire the handbrake in, so that it must be engaged before the timer will run. Also, if the handbrake is released, the timer stops.

FlySri
27th May 2004, 05:58 PM
If driving hard = 1 to 3 minute cool down
If driving normaly = 1 minute cool down ( if you want )
Their not that tempremental :)

Jass
27th May 2004, 06:02 PM
My timer turns itself off if you put your foot in the clutch or put the hand brake down without the keys in the ignition.

OPL-20T
27th May 2004, 06:12 PM
turbo timer waist of time.
boost gage waist of time.
the ecu on the astra is so smart ur car will always run to the correct boost and other setting its got even after u add a few mods.. i have plenty of mods on my car and i dont have any of that carp in it, waist of money i say...
and if i thrash my car 2 or 3 mins then i turn it off. if i drive normally i just turn it off if the engien them is in its normal pozzie...
save ur $$$ for AmD bcoz i have AmD and i love it :D.. its fun whe u go up against a 5.7L SS commo and u beat him :D...