PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky Brakes

jmcurtis
9th February 2007, 12:10 AM
Hi All,

After recently having a service done at Holden, I noticed thy did not fix a problem with my brakes, i didnt tell them at the time of the service that they were making sounds, but i thought it was pretty obvious, exscpecially since they take the cars for a test drive (or so they say)

My question is, what can i do to fix this noise?

its mainly at lower speeds, my car sorrta sounds like a taxi. it is rather annoying
iv looked at my rotors and they seem to be nice and smooth, and the brakes seem to have plenty of meat on them!

the car is just going on 2 years.

Is there some sort of spray i can spray on it? or do i have ot get something replaced , iv read about some sort of saper or something, a clip?

Thanks Guys!

Jason

mackeysam
9th February 2007, 02:44 AM
only thing i can think of (which you have probably already done) is giving the brakes a good workout...find a bit of road that is straight and just plant your foot a few times...then do it with the wheels turned left and then the same with the right...you can also try driving with your foot on the brake...only slightly tho...i find that it works in my impreza when that sort of thing happens...its completely normal and it just happens :S hope that works :)
sam

platypus
9th February 2007, 08:28 AM
2 things, check your anti-chatter pins (thats the big spring piece of metal)
and i'm actually try brake squeal stop... you'll probably find that in the end of it your brakes are not bedded properly...

squeaking brakes isn't that unusual

JohnBu
9th February 2007, 12:18 PM
take it back to the dealer and ask them to diagnose it free of charge.

MAD-16V
9th February 2007, 05:54 PM
At my work we have this stuff in a can made by crc its supposed to help with squealing brakes.

also some other stuff like a red goo that you can apply to the pads themselves -

I am also having this exact same problem with new pads in the rear of the astra - I have been told that my discs may be glazed ( Ie. too smooth ) So I will be trying some of this spray to see if it helps at all.

MatsHolden
9th February 2007, 06:25 PM
Apparently that spray (if it's the same one i'm thinking of) doesn't do anything. It's like a silvery/grey residue, just makes a mess.

Tfer
9th February 2007, 06:31 PM
Question from someone who is not mechanically minded..... are you sure it is the brakes, and not perhaps a failing wheel bearing? ;)

MatsHolden
9th February 2007, 08:04 PM
What sound is it exactly? Is it a contant scraping noise or intermittent? And does it occur only when the brakes are applied or does it occur just driving normally?

Tfer
9th February 2007, 08:16 PM
What sound is it exactly? Is it a contant scraping noise or intermittent? And does it occur only when the brakes are applied or does it occur just driving normally?

what are you thinking it could be Mat? ;)

MatsHolden
9th February 2007, 08:28 PM
what are you thinking it could be Mat? ;)

lol not sure, just if he puts more detailed info up, more chance of a diagnosis. ;)

Alix
10th February 2007, 01:02 AM
At my work we have this stuff in a can made by crc its supposed to help with squealing brakes.

also some other stuff like a red goo that you can apply to the pads themselves

I've had some success stopping brake squeal by applying grease.

A tiny smear of high-temp bearing grease carefully applied over the back of the pads can work wonders. Cheap too.

Only downside - it doesn't last forever. A few months and then you have to do it again.