PDA

View Full Version : N1 exhaust

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:10 PM
hey guys i spoke to N1 last friday about a Cat back exhuast system, got qouted $450 for custom 2 1/2 inch cat back with xforce stainless steel muffler....sound like a good deal to any1?

Oh btw the pipe size can be increase to 3" but i dont want it too loud

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 06:12 PM
what sri you got? Corsa sri or astra sri/srit?

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:14 PM
SRI-t
sorry forgot to mention that, they said they've neva modded a SRI-t b4

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 06:18 PM
dude i really dont know with the turb's... sorry
Speak with the SRiT boys. They'll help you out.

InsaneAsylum
25th May 2004, 06:54 PM
personally, i'd get a turbo back exhaust with a high flow cat. but that's depending on budget. i think $450 is a good price for a cat back system and if i had a turbo i'd be going for 2.5" as i reckon 3" would just make a difference in noise.... but thats my opinion

FLY-SRi
25th May 2004, 06:59 PM
yer thats y i want 2 1/2 inch, im only doin cat back so my warrenty doesnt get void

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 07:02 PM
get a few other prices... are you doing it for sound or performance?

Turblue
25th May 2004, 07:14 PM
Oh man....

Turbo back may not be the answer.

These cars have a really small turbo, so a 3 inch turbo back is possibly not the best thing. Amd recommend just a 2 1/2 inch catback. Leave the precat alone. Oh so it spools quicker..!!!! Cool... Overboost= engine light = Holden= reset ECU.

Remember the engine lights Jass??? Goran..???

Possible emission testing..?????

Warranty..???? Holden seem happy with catback. They got toey about turbo back.

I have had a really @#^%&# bad time setting up the exhaust. It took 3 attempts to get a system that did not give me a headache. Too loud... droning..etc.... Cost me $1400 in the end.

Oh yeah, anyone who tells you that a big exhaust on an Sri T is worth a truckload of kw's is full of it. The standard system is already 2 1/4 inch. You may get a few kw's (4-5) extra, but not much. Again, save the cash, and spend it on the Amd remap. (Boost gauge, timer+ exhaust= $1000 now...)

Go ahead and flame me. I don't care. Spend your money on something that will give you a real result. I should have. I can see this thread getting way outa hand.....

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 07:17 PM
It wont Wayne, coz you just talking from personal preference. However, i do have a point to make aswell. Isn't it recommended to get intake and exhaust done before playing with the ECU?

Turblue
25th May 2004, 07:38 PM
Ok.... cool... debate time.

Go dyno the car before and after a catback. There won't be much difference. A decent catback system will cost close to $1000. That's good mufflers, mandrel bends etc. And for a few kw's..?? Hell of a lot to spend. Say you get 8kw. That's $125 per kw. Now a remap. gives about 30kw for $1500. Hmm.... now that's $50 a kw. Better ratio..????

My preference is not to have a system that will destroy my hearing. True. But remember this silly little thing called.."The Law"..???

Having things done before a remap..?? Total rubbish. These ECU's are very clever. They adapt. Go research OBD2 and EOBD. Then you will see how smart these modern ECU's are.

Just stop and think for a minute. That's really all I am saying. Do not go and whack a 5 inch system on just because some moron says so. Full sik is garbage. Research what you do. Think. Stop. And think again.

FlySri
25th May 2004, 07:49 PM
Good advice for the man with a woman in hand!!! :oops:

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 07:50 PM
I totally agree with you there Wayne, and i can see exactly where your coming from. Yes AmD is great value for money when it comes to kw/$$ ratio, but aren't the vital areas of modification to maximise air going in and gases goin out? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Turblue
25th May 2004, 08:04 PM
People loose sight of actually how good these cars are. One of the greatest restriction to airflow is actually not the filter, but the AMM (sensor).

Flow is important. If you spend all day at 6000 rpm. I sure don't..!!! :screwy:

Again. Stop and think. I am guilty too. :bang:

New Airbox (BMC CDA) = $400
Exhaust = $1000

Result is maybe 10kw. A remap is about 30kw for $100 more. And your car remains silent and legal. Plus easy to drive. No Police bait here.

Dollars and cents......

InsaneAsylum
25th May 2004, 08:07 PM
i forgot about your stinkin' engine management light :roll:

Anonymous
25th May 2004, 08:15 PM
meh, just put some black tape over it hehehe

Jass
26th May 2004, 06:44 AM
Oh man....

Turbo back may not be the answer.

These cars have a really small turbo, so a 3 inch turbo back is possibly not the best thing. Amd recommend just a 2 1/2 inch catback. Leave the precat alone. Oh so it spools quicker..!!!! Cool... Overboost= engine light = Holden= reset ECU.

Remember the engine lights Jass??? Goran..???

Possible emission testing..?????

Warranty..???? Holden seem happy with catback. They got toey about turbo back.

I have had a really @#^%&# bad time setting up the exhaust. It took 3 attempts to get a system that did not give me a headache. Too loud... droning..etc.... Cost me $1400 in the end.

Oh yeah, anyone who tells you that a big exhaust on an Sri T is worth a truckload of kw's is full of it. The standard system is already 2 1/4 inch. You may get a few kw's (4-5) extra, but not much. Again, save the cash, and spend it on the Amd remap. (Boost gauge, timer+ exhaust= $1000 now...)

Go ahead and flame me. I don't care. Spend your money on something that will give you a real result. I should have. I can see this thread getting way outa hand.....

I dont think a dump pipe would be causing the problems on the astra. How come the guys who have a unichip and a dump pipe have no problems and there cars and they can make the power without any problems??
That's just the fact that the AMD maps need to be modded for ozzie fuel conditions. The engine light came on because boost was taken up due to free flowing the exhaust.
Things like atmospheric BOV could cause problems, but not a dump pipe.
I would be suprised that if i take my car in this friday and after the remap its acting up. I have a CDA BMC air box so will see if there is a diferent in dyno power runs between my car and Goran's. Simon is confident that AMD got it right this time.

Ive taken my car into holden for 4 warranty repairs and never have they said anything about the dump pipe. If anything they would be more concerned at things like an ecu remap (if they can detect it).

Btw ive spend over $2500 on my exhaust due to defect notices and purchasing 3 diferent back boxes until i finally got the look and noise i want.

$450 is a bargain, what sort of welding are they doing? Mandrel bend or compressed?? What ever you do dont stick a damn cannon back box, its asking for trouble from the coppers, you can get the same power from a baffled back box.

Good luck

silvestra
26th May 2004, 09:27 AM
Wayne, you make some interesting points. You have a healthy, conservative perspective that makes alot of sense. I'm also guilty of spending a lot of money on exhaust and feel that if I'd just spent a little with a remap I possibly would've got almost as good results. I have had fun though and the car is great. :roll:

Turblue
26th May 2004, 09:34 AM
Just show me the dyno charts.....

tofo
26th May 2004, 11:16 AM
Wayne, I'm with you on this one. Show me the dyno charts, then I'll do a re-map... to my completely stock Sri-T, no exhaust, nothing. If that gives me 25 to 25 kw and 70 to 90nm I will be well impressed. Even at $60/kw I think that's great value, and hopefully my car will be as sweet/refined to drive as it is now :)

XXX-1.8T
26th May 2004, 12:21 PM
Theres so many myths about 3" turbo back systems on small turbo cars

My Audi has a KKK03 and ur cars have a KKK04 mine is the same size but urs have bigger impellars

I have the 3" turbo back exhaust and have realeased a lot of KW ;) With a 2.5" if u go the AMD route ur restricting ur cars performance

If i was you i'd go 3" turbo back at least if u want something quiet do what i did and get 2.5" tips. My friend got the Hitech 2.5" catback system with 3" tip and its 3x as loud as my car

Noise levels comes to what size ur tips are, if u want drone go 3" tips :roll: but if u want something that sounds stock when cruising and when u hit it u get a nice growl go for 2.5" tips trust me guys u wont regret it

BTW I got my system from Carline Gladesville by Rally driver Craig Stallard its the only carline where u dont see everyday cars (ie race cars, vintage cars, and nice euro's)

cheers
Costa....

Jass
26th May 2004, 12:38 PM
Ive got a 2.5 inch tip too, with a baffled muffler, and ive got the same performance as the canon that i had before. Costa is right, stick with a quiet system, last thing thing you want is a yellow canary hanging from you car.
2.5 inch is probobly the ideal size for a cat back exhaust on the astra, as for the size of the dump pipe (i think that the size of the original pipe from the turbo is 2.5??) 3 inch should not cause a problem.
Anyways the bottom line is you choose what you want for your car, trial and error seems to be the way to know what works for you :)

Anonymous
26th May 2004, 04:57 PM
if you want to be faster than the other guy you will need to spend the bucks on your exhaust ,other wise leave it stock

Anonymous
26th May 2004, 05:03 PM
well the saying goes "you get what you pay for..." find a cheaper place, sure both places may give you a 2.5" exhaust bla bla bla, but i'm positive you'll be happier with the one doing it for more $$$. Workmanship is better, performance will be better and most likely you wont be going back for changes.
If your gonna do something, just spend that little bit more and get it done properly.