PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Pontiac G8 (VE Commodore)

Red AH SRI T
8th February 2007, 03:21 PM
PRESS RELEASE: It's Official: VE Commodore Heads To The United States

8 Febuary 2007

Holden today confirmed the VE Commodore SS would be exported to the United States in 2008 to take its place among General Motors' flagship high performance vehicles.

The design, engineering and performance of VE Commodore SS has secured its place in the prestigious Pontiac line-up, a brand renowned for its driving excitement.

Full production of the Pontiac G8 export vehicle will commence at the Holden plant in Elizabeth, South Australia, in late 2007.

GM's Chairman for North America and Vice-Chairman for product development, Bob Lutz, announced the export program overnight at the Chicago Motor Show.

The program was simultaneously announced by Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, at a press conference at Holden’s Port Melbourne headquarters.

The Hon Ian Macfarlane MP, Federal Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources, the Hon Theo Theophanous MLC, Victorian Minister for Industry and State Development, the Hon Kevin Foley MP, Deputy Premier of South Australia and Minister for Industry, Holden senior executives, government and industry officials also attended the announcement.

Mr Mooney said today that the export program reinforced the global appeal of the VE Commodore, as well as Holden’s position in the GM organisation.

" This export program confirms VE Commodore is a vehicle designed and engineered to appeal to both local and overseas markets." Mr Mooney said.

“ It also highlights GM Holden’s rear-wheel drive expertise globally. A car developed in Australia can be introduced in the United States, the Middle East and South Africa with equal impact.

"The local market is changing and exports will continue to be integral to Holden’s success, as they have been for more than 50 years.

“This is an opportunity for Holden to optimise capacity and further improve efficiency as we work to meet the challenges of a changing market.

“ Today’s announcement demonstrates the Australian automotive industry’s ability to deliver significant returns to the national economy.”

The export program will expand the model range at Holden’s Elizabeth plant to 18 domestic and 15 export variants.

Holden has Australia's longest running and largest automotive export program which has delivered more than 772,000 vehicles over 50 years to every continent except Antarctica.

http://picsorban.com/upload/pontiacinsidetrack-156105397-1170795859frontpage.jpg

imay
8th February 2007, 03:26 PM
Good on GMH (ra ra ra)! Well done guys. Great news for SA (Elizabeth) and the automotive/component manufacturers as a whole.

Just a shame that they let the Yank "designers" Americanise it though!

Red AH SRI T
8th February 2007, 03:28 PM
http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2007/02/08/8PontiacM_m.jpg
http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2007/02/07/Pont7m_m.jpg

I think u will find it was designed by Aussies (Mike Simcoe)

Correct me if i'm wrong!

EL BURITO
8th February 2007, 03:32 PM
I like that bonnet but the bumper is YUK

Wraith
8th February 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes well done GMH.

I too love the bonnet - overall it's quite an agressive looking vehicle, makes our VE very tame by comparison :)

NOW HURRY UP GM AND BRING ON THE 2 DOOR COUPE MODEL !! :D

imay
8th February 2007, 03:45 PM
I think u will find it was designed by Aussies (Mike Simcoe)

Yeah maybe, but with the "no taste for styling" Americans in mind!

Don't like it, but then I don't really like the front of the Aussie SS either. The Calais V is the pick of the bunch for me.

Shaun
8th February 2007, 06:55 PM
World car of the Yeah condenter.... The front looks nice...

cyclonic
8th February 2007, 07:00 PM
Looks horn.

digifish
8th February 2007, 08:39 PM
Video of launch on autoblog..

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/chicago-auto-show-gm-rwd-fans-can-rejoice-for-the-pontiac-g8-h/

digifish

Apex
8th February 2007, 09:08 PM
I think it looks tops, go GMH!

Loving the fact it runs 20” HSV’s GTS alloys:confused:

DirtyHarry
8th February 2007, 09:32 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if its cheaper over there than here as well.

digifish
8th February 2007, 09:39 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if its cheaper over there than here as well.

It will sell for about 25% less.

digifish.

MatsHolden
8th February 2007, 09:58 PM
I think it looks tops, go GMH!

Loving the fact it runs 20” HSV’s GTS alloys:confused:

The 20" HSV GTS inspired alloys are only for the show car. The production models will run on 18" alloys and 19" alloys come as part of an optional suspension upgrade.

Also interesting that the GT comes with the Active Fuel Management system, which Holden havn't included yet due to it being not refined enough for their standards. Pontiac obviously don't have a problem with it.

Tfer
8th February 2007, 10:50 PM
That is possibly the ugliest thing I have seen this week :eek:

Damn ugly in fact :eek:

But good for Australia to be exporting to the good ol US of A :)

rjastra
8th February 2007, 11:45 PM
Also interesting that the GT comes with the Active Fuel Management system, which Holden havn't included yet due to it being not refined enough for their standards. Pontiac obviously don't have a problem with it.

Or... the DOD is already tuned for US conditions.

Shaun
9th February 2007, 01:45 AM
The 20" HSV GTS inspired alloys are only for the show car. The production models will run on 18" alloys and 19" alloys come as part of an optional suspension upgrade.

2008. its 10 months away. Holden will realese it S2 of the VE. You cant relaease EVERY thing . Otherwise you cant have a S2.

More then likely we will see S2 in 2008 as well.

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2007, 08:14 AM
I hear that Holden won't be doing the series 2 thing any more.

Could be wrong though.

MatsHolden
9th February 2007, 08:35 AM
Or... the DOD is already tuned for US conditions.

or their standards in terms of refinement in the US aren't as high as Australia. And also what Shaun suggested about releasing it down the track with an update.

rjastra
9th February 2007, 08:59 AM
or their standards in terms of refinement in the US aren't as high as Australia.

DOD is already widely available on a suite of GM vehicles (cars/trucks) in the USA. So i am guessing that they have already got the calibrations necessary for the market.

The other point is that I am fairly sure that the V8 engine stuck in the VE we get here has had all provision for DOD removed (unlike the LS2 in the VZ). So maybe the engine fitted for the G8 is not the same as that we get in the VE.

We will have to wait and see what the exact engine model designation is for the G8.

The Don
9th February 2007, 09:24 AM
That is possibly the ugliest thing I have seen this week :eek:

Damn ugly in fact :eek:

But good for Australia to be exporting to the good ol US of A :)

I agree, the front of that car is hideous - but since when were yanks interested in anything good looking... look at the scat that they drive around in...

While I'm here, I'd love to share my love for the new VE GTS - absolutely stunning car, especially with the optional 20inch wheels!

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2007, 12:50 PM
The other point is that I am fairly sure that the V8 engine stuck in the VE we get here has had all provision for DOD removed (unlike the LS2 in the VZ). So maybe the engine fitted for the G8 is not the same as that we get in the VE.

The engine fitted to the G8 is the same as what was fitted to the VZ ie the L76. However VZ didn't have the DOD activated.

LS2 is the engine fitted to HSVs (from the Corvette).

The L76 was designed primarily for use in SUV's in America.

The VE's have L98 which is the same as the L76 but with the hardware for the DOD removed.

While I'm here, I'd love to share my love for the new VE GTS - absolutely stunning car, especially with the optional 20inch wheels!

The 20 inch wheels are standard on the GTS ;)