PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Egg Gas / Hydrogen sulfide

Mainframe_Module
7th February 2007, 09:56 PM
When i first got my yaris last year i noticed if i revved the engine hard,occasionally i would get a wierd smell inside the cabin through the vents, and when i would get outside...around my car would literally smell like rotten eggs or something.
i thought it might have just been my yaris, but when driving the manual yaris im learning manual on, it too has the same smell.
ive asked toyota about it and they dont know what im on about.

But, when i test drove the astra hatch a month or so ago when i was looking at them (they didnt have a coupe to test drive at the time) i noticed it, and then last weekend when i got out of the coupe i could smell the same smell too.

ive never noticed it in my mums magna or any of her previous cars....or anyone elses cars ive been in, so im thinking it might have to do with new emmission standards and something they are trying to do to purify the exhaust or something?...(since i know NOTHING about mechanics this is simply guesswork) ive noticed that in my toyota and on the website for the astra is mentions three way catalytic converter things.....if thats got to do with the exhaust could that be the cause?

or would it be fuel?...ive tried normal unleaded to ulp and now 98 ron bp ultimate and havent noticed much of a difference, i still get that odd smell now and then.

its kind of embaressing....my car farts!, and everytime it does and my family are with me they tease me about my farting car :P

when i test drove i was hoping the dealer didnt smell it and think it was me, lol.

so yes...just wondering if anyone elses has noticed this in their cars - and if they know what the bloody hell it is.

platypus
7th February 2007, 10:56 PM
check the cat.. doesn't work on cold temps..

nb this post is too long for me to read through

reedaaron
7th February 2007, 11:27 PM
only time i've ever smelt rotten eggs is when my battery went in my old corsa... i have no idea..

pred8r
7th February 2007, 11:40 PM
the rotten egg smell was something caused by using unleaded fuel, your cat conv. is supposed to help stop this, but they need to be hot to work.

If its done it in various cars you have, I'd start using premium or change brands of fuel.

(Read somewhere years ago; A 5 min trip in a cold (or cat-less) ULP car is more toxic/harmful to the enviroment, than the same in a leaded car)

1OPL2C
7th February 2007, 11:42 PM
my car used to get the egg smell, and it was from **** fuel unleaded.

mackeysam
8th February 2007, 01:17 AM
my impreza gets that smell occassionally but only when i fill it with premium...and only if i rev it hard...but apart from that, thats the only time i've smelt it...

blueraven
8th February 2007, 02:43 PM
can sometimes be the clutch :)

platypus
8th February 2007, 09:33 PM

clutch smells like clutch... has a smell similar to hard ridden brakes...

jsantos
8th February 2007, 09:42 PM
There was a toyota kruger in front of me today that gave it a bit of a punt coming off a roundabout and all of a sudden that smell filled my car (windows were down)

Mainframe_Module
8th February 2007, 10:59 PM

wouldnt have been on mine, my yarii is auto :)

ROCCO
9th February 2007, 03:20 PM
i'd switch to a different type of fuel...see if you get the smae smell runnig a high octane fuel...i know in the xr if i run a mix of octane boost and 98 fuel it really smells but meh more power the better i say lol

Alfonzo
10th February 2007, 11:05 PM
I get it a fair bit with my Foz. I run it on 98RON. Never really noticed it with my previous cars, and ran both the Lancer and Vectra on 98 as well (by choice).

Odd. :confused: