PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dust on new Alloys

MasterSti
7th February 2007, 01:58 PM
How do you opel owners cope with the black brake dust on your alloys?

My AH SRiT wheels are dirty after about 2-3 days after washing?

Would waxing my wheels make any difference?

EL BURITO
7th February 2007, 02:10 PM
maby but it would just make them easyer to clean. you could always change your brakes but it is a brand new car.

vectraguy01
7th February 2007, 04:31 PM
its the pads the opel uses which creates the ammount of dust that they send out, you get used to it after time goes on

Apex
7th February 2007, 04:35 PM
Buy some EBC green stuff pads ($120), improved performance with 1/3 the dust.

Highly recommended 10/10.

MasterSti
7th February 2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I really cant be stuffed changing pads.

I guess I will just have to clean every week to keep on top of the dust....

When my pads eventually wear out I will probably need new rotors also. Then time fo a performance pad/rotor combo.

CJB
7th February 2007, 10:23 PM
or, get what my car has, like a teflon coating on the wheel, makes it shinier and keeps the dust minimal. After a week it still doesnt look anywhere near as bad as a days driving in Ash's SRiT

Lucky me :D

Ginge
7th February 2007, 10:35 PM
polishing them makes it heaps easier to clean. mine got polished on saturday by the lovely dee :P washed them today and they look stunning. doesnt stop the dust but keeps them easier to clean

Apex
8th February 2007, 07:50 AM
Also, a wheel brush is a good idea, as I find the wheels look much better if the inside of the rim is kept clean as well. ;)

MasterSti
8th February 2007, 01:26 PM
Well I have just finished cleaning & waxing my wheels. They look great.

Took around 2 hours to clean. Then another hour or so to wax the wheels once clean. I did both the outside and inside of the wheels. Amazing how dirty they were even after just 600km old.

What a PITA job though. Oh well I love my car.....I have a week off work.

I had lots of this really thick waxy stuff behind each alloy wheel spoke. I think this must be the protective wax layer they apply while the car is in transport to the dealers.

Anyway they didnt remove this stuff properly prior to delivery.

See how we go now. Hope all that effort was worth it!

Tfer
8th February 2007, 01:31 PM
Keep us posted.... :)

Dee
8th February 2007, 01:38 PM
polishing them makes it heaps easier to clean. mine got polished on saturday by the lovely dee :P washed them today and they look stunning. doesnt stop the dust but keeps them easier to clean

you are just lucky i had nothing better to do!

i would definately recommend polishing the alloys - brings them up looking great

CJB
8th February 2007, 01:39 PM
what can you do for yours Dee?

Dee
8th February 2007, 01:43 PM
Get a chrome polish... like the stuff Matt used on his exhaust tips ... not sure how much it costs tho... better not be too expensive...

or I could sell the wheels and get differnt wheels ;) which i think i may end up doing soon

InsaneAsylum
8th February 2007, 01:55 PM
change your brake pads for bendix advance or other low dust pads.

just piss the stock pads off they're a waste of your time

Apex
8th February 2007, 04:52 PM
I had lots of this really thick waxy stuff behind each alloy wheel spoke. I think this must be the protective wax layer they apply while the car is in transport to the dealers.

Anyway they didnt remove this stuff properly prior to delivery.

See how we go now. Hope all that effort was worth it!

Took me ages to get that crap off mine too, not to sure what it is?:confused:

MasterSti
8th February 2007, 07:13 PM
Yes it was a very sticky thick waxy compound.

I had to use really hot soapy water.

It came off eventually....

It looks like they must use a special high pressure washer to remove it from the wheels. They just missed behine the alloy spokes.