PDA

View Full Version : VXR vs TURBO COUPE

Blue_Dvl
6th February 2007, 10:52 PM
Hey guys. Im looking to update my Astra G CD in about 3 months. I want to go for a performance model for next and since i have had good experience with this Astra it seems appropriate to look towards the same marque for next.

Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough performance comparision between the Holden Turbo Coupe and the HSV VXR. i like the VXR and its comparable to the 2dr GTi and Audi A3(less performance) im also looking at in terms of features and price. Is the VXR worth the extra over the Turbo??? or would i be better with a Turbo and then some form of ECU Edit??

Also can you get a VXR with leather???

MatsHolden
6th February 2007, 10:56 PM
The Australian VXR comes in full leather. I'd have to say go for the SRi Turbo in terms of value for money and if you want more power 'invest' the 850 odd dollars on the ECU re-flash that Turblue is looking into for the AH.

aussie_in_london
6th February 2007, 11:25 PM
here is a bit of info i got from the VXR guys some time ago, it may help you out with the difference between the SRi & VXR chassie etc, its a good bit of info anyway

"Lotus development in Astra G. Lotus spent 10 weeks developing the base Astra 1.6 and a further period consulting on the other engine/suspension packages. 90% of the work was on the base car from which we developed the various set ups dependent on engine and trim. They did no specific work on the GSi set up , this was developed by OPC in Germany.
Lotus development in Astra H. Lotus were consultants on the base car and were involved in damper tuning only. The main work was done by a guy called Michael Harder at Opel and he involved Lotus only for some specific damper fine tuning. The H chassis is much more tuneable than the G and Michael developed a matrix of front/ rear spring rates , damper tuning and axle stiffness. It was in this development phase that we , Vauxhall, asked Gavan Kershaw at Lotus to tune the passive VXR chassis. Michael would do the active CDC chassis off those spring rates.
So did Lotus do work on the G? Yes , a lot , and the 1.6 is still rated as one of the best cars we’ve ever had. Did they do anything on the sports versions ? Yes they were consulted on damper/spring rates etc but the main work was Opels.
Did Lotus do work on the H? Yes they helped with the base car tuning. Did they do anything on the sports versions? Yes they helped set the groundwork for the Opel team to work from on damper rates.
Did Lotus do work on the VXR? Yes the passive chassis is a Lotus set up and differs vastly from the regular sports chassis.
Is the VXR chassis more aggressive than the Sri? Yes in every area. Chassis is 15mm lower , front anti roll bar bigger , rebound springs added to front dampers to control roll , new front uprights and steering knuckle raised roll centre up by 30mm. Spring and damper rates increased by 40 and 50%. Rear axle is unique to VXR and effectively invokes oversteer.
Net result is the car steers and pivots ‘sky hook’ style. Is more composed over bumps and delivers a more direct steering feel.
Technically apart from the pick up points for the suspension being the same everything else is different.
The Opel engineering team have done a great job on all the chassis’s for Astra and Lotus was used for UK tuning because of our roads that bear no resemblance to anything in Europe (except maybe Belgium) .
Does that make the Sri a bad chassis and the VXR a better chassis. Nope it makes the VXR a more aggressive chassis compared to the Sri , that’s all."

Apex
7th February 2007, 05:28 AM
If you can afford it id go for the VXR, from the looks of things and from what I can gather, the VXR seems to be a much more performance focused vehicle.

OPC
7th February 2007, 11:07 AM
go the VXR dude... no doubt about it...

to get the SRi turbo coupe up to the same performance as the VXR ur gunna need to spend more than $850 on a remap

luvpsi
7th February 2007, 11:38 AM
go the VXR dude... no doubt about it...

to get the SRi turbo coupe up to the same performance as the VXR ur gunna need to spend more than $850 on a remap

the VXR is roughly 10 - 11k more than the sri-t new;) im pretty sure that if you invested that money into modding the sri-t, you would end up with a package shat would sh** all over a stock VXR, performance wise. This is my opinion only, however I have to admit the VXR is packed full of extras such as the seats, wheels and other stuff and matching the 2 cars look and comfort wise would be a hard task.

rjastra
7th February 2007, 11:56 AM
Go test ALL the competitors before you by the AStra SRiT/VXR.

luvpsi
7th February 2007, 11:58 AM

yeah thats a good idea;) my personal pick would be the mazda 3 MPS

mr corsa
7th February 2007, 12:06 PM
buy a barina

Wraith
7th February 2007, 01:27 PM

Could not agree more..........!!!!!!! Although I'm not interested in the AH Sri t, only the hi po hatches.

And that's exactly what I'm in the process of doing - VXR already test driven !

MPS 3 and Xr5 and Golf Gti for a thourough comparison over the coming weeks :)

I dare say MPS 3 will easily come out on top overall with all things considered ;)

As for original question - it all depends on what you want - normal sporty comfortable ride (Sri t) or more of a performance car (VXR) ie: if you've decided it has to be an AH Astra......

Value for money the VXR can't possibly match the Sri t, it is quite obviously overpriced, you really have to want one (as the HSV add states :D) to justify it's asking price.

BTW next year we'll see the new MK10 Evo's and they'll be a reduced cost Ralliart version for around 45k + orc, still packing 175kw and improved all paw drive, (normal variant will have 225kw)

Power upgrade on these is awesome as we all know, just need to see what they're like in the flesh - might just hang back n wait a bit :)

Mr T
7th February 2007, 01:38 PM
What ever car I buy, I'd want to do some mods. The only reason I would buy a VXR over an SRi-T would be the larger turbo...thats it. But then again for $2000 or so you can have yourself a bigger turbo anyway.

If the MPS 3 was built from a better core vehicle than I'd own one already.

Turblue
7th February 2007, 01:47 PM
I'm with you on that one.....

We already have "G's" that wipe VXR's with $2500 worth of mods.

What ever car I buy, I'd want to do some mods. The only reason I would buy a VXR over an SRi-T would be the larger turbo...thats it. But then again for $2000 or so you can have yourself a bigger turbo anyway.

dug74
7th February 2007, 01:52 PM
Could not agree more..........!!!!!!! Although I'm not interested in the AH Sri t, only the hi po hatches.

And that's exactly what I'm in the process of doing - VXR already test driven !

MPS 3 and Xr5 and Golf Gti for a thourough comparison over the coming weeks :)

I dare say MPS 3 will easily come out on top overall with all things considered ;)

As for original question - it all depends on what you want - normal sporty comfortable ride (Sri t) or more of a performance car (VXR) ie: if you've decided it has to be an AH Astra......

Value for money the VXR can't possibly match the Sri t, it is quite obviously overpriced, you really have to want one (as the HSV add states :D) to justify it's asking price.

BTW next year we'll see the new MK10 Evo's and they'll be a reduced cost Ralliart version for around 45k + orc, still packing 175kw and improved all paw drive, (normal variant will have 225kw)

Power upgrade on these is awesome as we all know, just need to see what they're like in the flesh - might just hang back n wait a bit :)

I suggest you go and check all the hot hatches out and pick the one you love the most and can get the best deal from the dealer.

I picked the MPS3 over the others due to getting a better deal and free extras. I think you get more for your money with the mazda.

Just thats just my 2 cents...and im very bias :dance:

Good Luck on your purchase.

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
7th February 2007, 01:54 PM

You'd also want to get yourself the forgies from the VXR ;)

Regarding the MPS 3 if Mazda had released a sedan version, I'd own one already :)

Geebs
7th February 2007, 03:34 PM
I think it's a personal thing. I have had my VXR for 2 and a half months now, and still so glad I chose it.

For me, as much as performance was important, looks and features were also up there. So the additional goodies ie recaro's, body kit, colour and wheels to me put it way in front of the SRI-T. Some people may say not for them but again it's a personal thing.

I also considered the MPS3. Performance wise, yes better than the VXR, handling, yes better than the VXR. The pros though massively outweighed the cons - as to me, the MPS3 looks really bland. Not saying it's ugly, I rather like the 'style' but to me, it definitely doesn't look like a 'hot hatch' which is kinda what I wanted.

But just buy what you think is right for you - not what everyone else tells you!

So in brief, on just performance wise, yes MPS3 but to me the difference in performance didn't outweigh the difference in looks. If I was to give MPS 9 for performance and the VXR 8, the difference in looks would be like 5 for the MPS v 10 for the VXR... so the VXR was a no brainer as I think it looks hot as and drives pretty damn fine! :D :D :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/geebs87/DSC00288.jpg

Wraith
7th February 2007, 04:05 PM
No question about that one Geebs......

VXR is unquestionably the best looker :)

Value for money - meh not so good....

Blue_Dvl
7th February 2007, 04:05 PM
Not overly impressed with the looks of the MPS3, the VXR does look a lot sportier. Big fan of the Golf GTi but the VXR still looks tougher.

Will definately go and test drive all 3 models before deciding. The VXR would want to go a lot better and more equipped for the extra $$ over the Turbo Coupe.

Blue_Dvl
7th February 2007, 04:07 PM
buy a barina

consider it done

Apex
7th February 2007, 04:28 PM
Not overly impressed with the looks of the MPS3, the VXR does look a lot sportier. Big fan of the Golf GTi but the VXR still looks tougher.

Will definately go and test drive all 3 models before deciding. The VXR would want to go a lot better and more equipped for the extra $$ over the Turbo Coupe.

I have driven a Golf GTI and to be honest bar the looks and quality I really cant see why people rave on about them so much, at the end of the day they have the same power as the SRI and as stock don’t come as well equipped, the one I drove looked as though someone had raided my dads golf pants draw to cover the seats eew tatan! We also (my Fiancé and I) looked at the Mazda 3MPS I thought it was great but the missus hated it, recond it was a bit plasticky and rice,
and resembled a station wagon.:(

Go for the VXR, I would have if HSV-NZ would bring it here, apparently there is very little interest WTF!

180HOA
10th February 2007, 02:17 PM
What is it that people see in the MPS3?

My sisters partner has one; he gave me a spin in it. All I could say was that it's fast. The rest of the car doesn't feel like a match for the engine to me. Overall it just felt kindof 'flimsy' - precisely assembled, but didn't feel solid. Then there's the very debateable 'styling' (my sister descibes it as having been backed into a wall at very high speed).

But I agree with TTEETT, between the SRi and GTi would be a close call for a good all-rounder with a bit of extra stick.

For something a bit more focused, the VXR or XR5 would be on my shopping list.

Wraith
10th February 2007, 02:51 PM
I think you'll find what people see in the MPS 3 is what you get for the money - The styling/looks side of the equation is an individual thing.

You never know, next model might have smarter styling and a unique look just for the MPS range as it's all new for Mazda ATM and the feedback their getting is very strong and positive, as are the sales.

Compared to a VXR, the MPS 3 has heaps more to offer for a similar price.

You can get an MPS 3 for 48k drive away and that's with the extras package !

Try adding a bigger more powerful engine with advanced DISI injection, LSD, additional traction control electronics, variable final drive ratio, Xenon headlights, side curtain airbags and a 240watt sound system to a VXR and see what the cost comes to !!!!

I've been spending alot of time in the Ozmazda.com forum and according to them, there was supposed to be a comparo in the last Motor mag of these 2, but it didn't happen - maybe in the next issue or somewhere down the track.

Will be interesting to read their comments and results of these 2 put head to head :)

In the U.S and here, alot of ex. wrx and evo owners are buying this car - that says alot ;)

If I get a VXR, the main reason will be because I've got thousands of dollars worth of aftermarket gear left over from my Calibra and Astra that'll fit straight on !

Shaun
10th February 2007, 04:48 PM
It depends on your situation. My choice over the two is a VXR. I have driven both now and can see the difference and why they are 8 or so grand more. Now as to modding the VXR already has the jump in the SRi T. The internals are uprated. Meaning the engine is stronger giving you a better baisis for mods down the track. People say $2,500 will get you quicker then a VXR. That may well be the case but it depends on how much you care for warranty.

dug74
15th February 2007, 12:57 AM
I think you'll find what people see in the MPS 3 is what you get for the money - The styling/looks side of the equation is an individual thing.

You never know, next model might have smarter styling and a unique look just for the MPS range as it's all new for Mazda ATM and the feedback their getting is very strong and positive, as are the sales.

Compared to a VXR, the MPS 3 has heaps more to offer for a similar price.

You can get an MPS 3 for 48k drive away and that's with the extras package !

Actually i picked up the M pack on the sports model for $43K d/away and it wasnt a demo...33kms on the clock...depends on the dealer and how well you can bargain, some models have the M pack already on them.

M pack includes: auto lights on/off, reverse sensors, headlight protectors and MPS floor mats.

Try adding a bigger more powerful engine with advanced DISI injection, LSD, additional traction control electronics, variable final drive ratio, Xenon headlights, side curtain airbags and a 240watt sound system to a VXR and see what the cost comes to !!!!

I've been spending alot of time in the Ozmazda.com forum and according to them, there was supposed to be a comparo in the last Motor mag of these 2, but it didn't happen - maybe in the next issue or somewhere down the track.

Will be interesting to read their comments and results of these 2 put head to head :)

In the U.S and here, alot of ex. wrx and evo owners are buying this car - that says alot ;)

If I get a VXR, the main reason will be because I've got thousands of dollars worth of aftermarket gear left over from my Calibra and Astra that'll fit straight on !

Buy what you feel comfortable with....the choice is yours.

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
15th February 2007, 09:03 AM
Well done there Dug, you got an awesome deal, what a bargain with all those extra features on top of what it already has :)

Like I said try getting a VXR with all of that, 60k wouldn't even be enough !!!

If I could get one for that price drive away, I'd stop thinking/procrastnating and get one straight away........

The main thing that's holding me up regarding the MPS 3 is that I much prefer the sedan - if only Mazda had made a sedan MPS 3 I'd own one !

I think they havn't becuase it'll take sales away from the already not so well selling MPS 6 :rolleyes:

Wraith
15th February 2007, 09:08 AM
Oh BTW, just noticed your 1/4 mile ET......

Well done, these cars are indeed performance packed !

Lots of tuning upgrade developmnet work going on ATM for these, both here and abroad, no doubt putting them at the top of the crop performance wise for FWD cars......

dug74
15th February 2007, 09:44 AM
Well done there Dug, you got an awesome deal, what a bargain with all those extra features on top of what it already has :)

Like I said try getting a VXR with all of that, 60k wouldn't even be enough !!!

If I could get one for that price drive away, I'd stop thinking/procrastnating and get one straight away........

The main thing that's holding me up regarding the MPS 3 is that I much prefer the sedan - if only Mazda had made a sedan MPS 3 I'd own one !

I think they havn't becuase it'll take sales away from the already not so well selling MPS 6 :rolleyes:

I wanted the 3 sedan as well...as it looks better than the hatch in all ways....was even going to buy the SP23 luxury sedan...till i drove an MPS3..then the sedan idea fades fast.

The hatch isnt the sportiest, best sound zorst note or aggressive body kit.....but as was said...its got the best BFYB and i was given a great deal....so i couldnt refuse. Holden wouldnt budge an inch on their VXR and ford only bring in 5 cars a months of the XR5...becoz they want it <exclusive>.

Im sure if you look and ask a mazda dealer...you could get a good price...i went to 3 around my area.

Need any help...just ask...

We did some 0 - 100 times as well on Sat with a Gtech....i didnt do too well..but learnt fast.

I did about 10 passes...with 2 minutes between.

My worse was 6.3 seconds.....and my best was 5.8 seconds.

With a little more experience...im sure i could get a bit more outta it....

Cheers
DUG74

Wraith
15th February 2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks Dug, sounds good.

I've tried 2 dealers, best I could get was $48,070 drive away.....sports pack, but no mention of the extra M features.

They justify this (here in Melb. anyway) because the car is selling so well and there's no lengthy waiting period.

I'm gonna hang on and wait a little longer, there are some other car options I'm also interested in.

I kind of like the Xr5 too, it has it's many good points also, there's a tuner here in Melb. who's already taken one to around 240kw, ecu, exhaust and induction upgrades only :)

You never know, Mazda might release a sedan MPS 3 down the track :)

BTW appologies to everybody else for going off topic :)

jsantos
15th February 2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks Dug, sounds good.

I've tried 2 dealers, best I could get was $48,070 drive away.....sports pack, but no mention of the extra M features.

They justify this (here in Melb. anyway) because the car is selling so well and there's no lengthy waiting period.

I'm gonna hang on and wait a little longer, there are some other car options I'm also interested in.

I kind of like the Xr5 too, it has it's many good points also, there's a tuner here in Melb. who's already taken one to around 240kw, ecu, exhaust and induction upgrades only :)

You never know, Mazda might release a sedan MPS 3 down the track :)

BTW apologies to everybody else for going off topic :)

Sorry to spoil your hopes (don't shoot the messenger), when i was at the Mazda performance day at oran park (park of their marketing campaign for the 3MPS, they told us they had NO plans to make the 3mps available in sedan form, they specifically said that the 3mps's sole purpose was to add a hatchback to their "performance family". Personally a 3 MPS awd sedan would blow my mind, it's just not going to happen :(

also dealers change tune quickly if you go to enough of them and they know you are moving around we got the same "no waiting line and plenty of sales so we aren't moving on the price" line when we bought my sisters 3, long story short we walked and got a better price elsewhere.

Wraith
15th February 2007, 05:42 PM
All good points there jsantos :)

Yeh, when and if I'm ready, I'll definitely haggle until I get a good deal, I know I can do better, just not pushing it ATM, cause I'm not ready/definite about purchasing, there are so many other new car releases coming over the next 12-18 months, I might hang in there and wait.

As you say damn shame we won't see a sedan in MPS 3, so many people including you and I I've heard of who would want one...

dug74
15th February 2007, 05:51 PM
When i asked...i think the reason behind it was....they already have a sedan with the 2.3DISIT and a SUV with the same donk. So they wanted a hatch as well. Supposedly they are working to remod and engineer the mx-5 to have the 2.3 Turbo as well...so there will be a roadster as well.

There are heaps of new models coming out, so hold out.

Arent we suppose to deciding between the VXR or SRiT.:dance:

Im hoping the MPS3 takes off well...as they have 2008/9 model in the pipeline to have more power and share the AWD system used in the MPS6 and CX7.

Which should be just in time for my upgrade.

Cheers
DUG74

Apex
16th February 2007, 08:26 AM
ford only bring in 5 cars a months of the XR5...becoz they want it <exclusive>.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/tteett/focus.jpg

Now this is exclusive, just found this on Trade-Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Ford/auction-87428794.htm), I believe this is the only “xr5” in NZ, bit pricey considering a new 3-MPS is NZD$47,990.

I thought they may Have made a 3MPS sedan for the US market considering most new Japanese cars are being designed to suit the yanks Americans much prefer sedans to hatches.:)

JohnBu
16th February 2007, 09:30 AM
just wondering.. what is the M pack, opposed to the luxury pack?

no offence.. but i think mazda stuffed up the whole MPS range.. the MPS6 should be in hatch form and the MPS3 should be in sedan form.... as they are better looking than their hatch/sedan brothers.

or at least give the customers the choice

even though the MPS6 cost heaps more to make they cant sell em.. they have new 06 plated ones for under $45k!!!! cheaper than the MPS3.

i think the MPS6 looks fugly in sedan...

Apex
16th February 2007, 10:04 AM
even though the MPS6 cost heaps more to make they cant sell em.. they have new 06 plated ones for under $45k!!!! cheaper than the MPS3.

i think the MPS6 looks fugly in sedan...

I believe the main reason the MPS-6 is not selling is the fact it looks to similar to the bread and butter 6 repmobile, maybe a more aggressive body kit and some exclusive colours would lift its profile.:cool:

Maybe break the magic 200kw barrier as the JDM version does would help also!

Blue_Dvl
16th February 2007, 08:11 PM
yeah my mate picked up a MPS3 a month or so ago..... paid close to $48k with the luxury pack (leather, etc)

I recently read a european review saying the MPS3 has cheap plastics, and that axel tramp should be reserved for hemi powered americans not fine tuned japenese vehicles.

Im not a huge fan of the interior of the golf, however it is very nice. i also saw a R32 yesterday on the road..... awesome. It looks 100 times better than the GTi, and gets a lot of the goodies standard.

Might pay a visit to HSV this weekend for a little drive, although i dont think there's too many options for the VXR.

Miyagi
18th February 2007, 11:31 AM
Having seen, heard and driven a MPS3 it certainly has plenty of go... but to me that's about all really. It is a little soul-less for my taste and makes the 'Hot Hatch' banner purely on performance points.

I won't argue against the car being a good performer and Mazda do know how to make a car but the sleeper styling is so off putting for me.. A Hot Hatch for me has a blend of performance and styling about it. :cool:

This is where the VXR, XR5, Megane F1 (love it or hate it), GTI and R32 have it... for me.

I know we live in a real world where supply for the above cars is less than required. If these issues didn't exist and we could get a good deal on any of the above cars it'd be interesting to see which car would sell the strongest.

On to the topic at hand, the VXR and Turbo Coupe target two different demographics really. The VXR is hardcore and designed for someone who wants to drive their car...

I'd be surprised if there was a VXR owner (AU or abroad) that hadn't purchased a VXR and never thought of how they can get a little more performance out of it. The Turbo Coupe is priced accordingly (and quite well imo) for the buyer that wants a good daily driver with a hint of fun about it... nothing more, nothing less. :)

Mr T
18th February 2007, 11:52 AM
I'm with you on that one.....

We already have "G's" that wipe VXR's with $2500 worth of mods.

I know of a certain stock Golf that wiped a certain VXR the other day...:p

Shaun
18th February 2007, 01:20 PM
I know of a certain stock Golf that wiped a certain VXR the other day...:p

Wouldnt have said it wiped it .... VXR was out in front at the end. I was there

SSS_Hoon
18th February 2007, 04:24 PM
Wouldnt have said it wiped it .... VXR was out in front at the end. I was there

i wouldnt say wiped either more like half a bonnet or so.

and the VXR was not in front at the end shaun i was there also the only time he was in front then was when the GTI backed off as there was a car in front.

but all in all it was fairly even i would say and i was very surprised indeed as was the VXR i assume.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
19th February 2007, 01:22 PM
As I've already mentioned several times now as I've test driven a VXR, I'm not overly impressed with it's performance........If you've never driven anything more powerful than an average N/A 4 potter, then maybe, you might find it to be impressive.

It looks much more impressive on paper than what it actually performs like on the road, I only found it's mid range response and power to be better than my re-mapped G convertible, which means a re-mapped and lighter G hatch will have it over a stock VXR.

If I ever decide to get one, my first priority would be to ramp it's power up, similar to what guys O/S have done, then it'll be a great car to own and drive :) Why it's not like that straight off the showroom floor is dissapointing, especially for the asking price !

I would've loved to have seen a dedicated performance version of the AH Astra ie: the VXR, with a more powerful engine eg: a turbo version of the 2.2ltr engine and goodies like an LSD and independant rear end fitted from factory, now that would've been something worthwhile getting a hold of and matched up competitively to cars like the MPS 3.

I also agree with the above regarding the MPS 3 sedan - damn shame Mazda didn't make one........

ultim8DTM5
19th February 2007, 08:06 PM
Personal choice, but I wouldn't spend that sort of money to end up with a HSV or a Mazda.

VW Golf GTi 3dr w/ DSG + APR tuning kit, or just ditch the hatch idea and go for something else like an E46 M3. 2002 models go for $80k nowdays, not far off a loaded VXR...

JohnBu
20th February 2007, 02:04 PM
VW Golf GTi 3dr w/ DSG + APR tuning kit, or just ditch the hatch idea and go for something else like an E46 M3. 2002 models go for $80k nowdays, not far off a loaded VXR...

nice.. i'll take my GTi in manual thank you very much :) yes very nice car (in 3 door format)..

another thing..why cant they make the DSG lever/knob more sportier, absolutely spells out 'girls car'..much too big and round.. too toyota/audi like... check out BMWs for a nice to use and designed auto gearknob.

unfortunately the E46 M3 (i've got my eye out on one of these) has the service and repair cost of an $140k car... its cost ALOT more than a VXR/Golf to buy, run and maintain properly.

bones
20th February 2007, 04:09 PM
If you look in this month's MOTOR magazine, you will see that Walkinshaw [who owns HSV] are doing a pretty decent mod kit for the Astra Turbo that transforms it into a VXR-like package. Interestingly, it will end up costing you more than just getting a VXR but you don't need to get it all done, neither do you need to get it all at once. It makes the SRi Turbo a far more interesting prospect to me.
As for a Mazda3 MPS, I often mistake Mazda3 hatches for PT Cruisers in traffic. They are vans. I love Mazdas but you couldn't give me one of those things. The sedan is gorgeous but the hatch makes me puke. I know that they used the sedan in the Mazda6 MPS because it is stiffer than the hatch [and they look very similar anyway] but I have no idea why they went with the hatch for the Mazda3 MPS.
Another car you may want to hang out for is the Volvo C30 T5. It will be slightly down on power from the Focus XR5 but it is absolutely stunning to behold and based on the same chassis as the Focus and Mazda3 [as well as the S40, V50 and C70]. You have to wait until May, though.

Tfer
20th February 2007, 05:30 PM
Hmmm.... I agree that the Mazda's current range just doesn't have a styling edge, but then I think that is pretty much right across the whole Japanese scene.... seem to style them to date (catch a Honda CRV yet :eek: ):(

I believe the Euros are designed for style longevity.... and evolutionary design, not revolutionary.

That is why I would tend towards something Euro.... style and substance.... Euros may not win the gold in substance all of the time, but they win on style, so overall... win to the Euro :)

My 2 cents :D

Blue_Dvl
20th February 2007, 06:30 PM
Another car you may want to hang out for is the Volvo C30 T5. It will be slightly down on power from the Focus XR5 but it is absolutely stunning to behold and based on the same chassis as the Focus and Mazda3 [as well as the S40, V50 and C70]. You have to wait until May, though.

yeah i have been reading many european mags and that volvo is certainly appealing. Even the new Cooper S takes my eye, (if it ever gets here) except i dont think the new model (turbo instead of supercharged) is due til much later this year. Wonder if ford will bring the 2dr focus turbo down-under, so glad VW did..... its far better looking than the 4dr. Big fan of the DSG but would prob tick the manual box

Apex
20th February 2007, 06:41 PM

I thought it has the same 2.5 5 cylinder Turbo Volvo engine as the Focus, I wonder why they have different power, maybe they are scared of scaring some of the middle aged women that will mainly buy the things:( .

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/tteett/volvoC301_w.jpg

ultim8DTM5
20th February 2007, 08:36 PM
nice.. i'll take my GTi in manual thank you very much :) yes very nice car (in 3 door format)..

another thing..why cant they make the DSG lever/knob more sportier, absolutely spells out 'girls car'..much too big and round.. too toyota/audi like... check out BMWs for a nice to use and designed auto gearknob.

unfortunately the E46 M3 (i've got my eye out on one of these) has the service and repair cost of an $140k car... its cost ALOT more than a VXR/Golf to buy, run and maintain properly.

I agree, but it would hold its value better than a $60k hatch, especially with VW updating their models every four years. As for servicing, my independant mechanic is a BMW specialist and his servicing charges are pretty reasonable. Seen a 60,000km for a VW GTI? Research it, and suddenly the benefit of paying 30% more in running costs for a M3 may be worthwhile considering the performance benefits.

Of course, you could just go buy a used Clubsport or something

JohnBu
21st February 2007, 11:02 AM
I agree, but it would hold its value better than a $60k hatch, especially with VW updating their models every four years. As for servicing, my independant mechanic is a BMW specialist and his servicing charges are pretty reasonable. Seen a 60,000km for a VW GTI? Research it, and suddenly the benefit of paying 30% more in running costs for a M3 may be worthwhile considering the performance benefits.

Of course, you could just go buy a used Clubsport or something

yeah i know VW are $$$ to maintain...

the VXRs should be alot cheaper to service, drive away they are about the same as a Golf GTi...

anyway this year will be very interesting in the mid priced sports car market with the new Evo X and Lancer Turbo coming out and new WRX/Sti coming soonish also..

i mite hold back a while and see whats out there... during that time i hope that the new E92 V8 M3 will slam the price of used E46 Straight 6 M3s right down!

BMWs are pretty damn pricey to maintain (but I would say cheaper than Audi/VW).... just paid $346 for a BMW key this week, mates rates thanks to Xplosive57, overall its not too bad compared to other euro cars...... but holdens/HSVs are sooo much cheaper.

i know audi are really $$$ to maintain... and their service intervals are alot shorter than BMWs

caspers turbo
21st February 2007, 11:29 AM
SRiT's have recaco seats, they just dont have a badge to advertise it, SRiT's have body kit's, SRiT's have very desirable wheels, just seach the posts and you will see everyone wants them, SRiT's have Arden Blue, Arden Blue is not exclusive to VXR's, SRiT's dont have a huge price tag, my 2 cents worth

I think it's a personal thing. I have had my VXR for 2 and a half months now, and still so glad I chose it.

For me, as much as performance was important, looks and features were also up there. So the additional goodies ie recaro's, body kit, colour and wheels to me put it way in front of the SRI-T. Some people may say not for them but again it's a personal thing.

I also considered the MPS3. Performance wise, yes better than the VXR, handling, yes better than the VXR. The pros though massively outweighed the cons - as to me, the MPS3 looks really bland. Not saying it's ugly, I rather like the 'style' but to me, it definitely doesn't look like a 'hot hatch' which is kinda what I wanted.

But just buy what you think is right for you - not what everyone else tells you!

So in brief, on just performance wise, yes MPS3 but to me the difference in performance didn't outweigh the difference in looks. If I was to give MPS 9 for performance and the VXR 8, the difference in looks would be like 5 for the MPS v 10 for the VXR... so the VXR was a no brainer as I think it looks hot as and drives pretty damn fine! :D :D :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/geebs87/DSC00288.jpg

OPC
21st February 2007, 03:31 PM
SRiT's have recaco seats, they just dont have a badge to advertise it, SRiT's have body kit's, SRiT's have very desirable wheels, just seach the posts and you will see everyone wants them, SRiT's have Arden Blue, Arden Blue is not exclusive to VXR's, SRiT's dont have a huge price tag, my 2 cents worth

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/buildprice?step=2&type=1&modelid=26009

i dont see an arden blue choice here...

if they had recaros why dont they advertise it ?

caspers turbo
21st February 2007, 03:49 PM
i didn't know theyd dropped Arden Blue for the new SRiT, i was reffering to the G series, & i dont know why they didn't advertise recaros for the SRiT

ultim8DTM5
21st February 2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe because they aren't Recaro

Geebs
22nd February 2007, 09:45 AM

Seats are substantiablly different between the SRI-T and the VXR. Body Kit is also different. Wheels are a personal opinion and in my opinion I would take the VXR 19's over the SRI-T's 18's any day - again, that's my opinion.

SRI-T seats below, they are not recaros... Leather sports seats
http://www.holden.com.au///images/features/astra/SRiTurbo/img_adjustableSeats.jpg

VXR Seats
http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/6386479.jpg

....and yeah no Arden Blue for the AH SRI-T.

Ishley
22nd February 2007, 12:29 PM
I wish they still did have the Arden blue in the AH SRiT range, i would of had that colour over all the others.... Or even white, but they dont have that either

OPC
22nd February 2007, 02:12 PM
I wish they still did have the Arden blue in the AH SRiT range, i would of had that colour over all the others.... Or even white, but they dont have that either

i saw a 3door 1.8 H or somethin the other day with some bodykit and it looked HAAAAAAWT twin tips out the back

so yeah a white sri or vxr would look schmick

actually some guy on the english forum put up a pic of his half white half arden blue vxr and it looks ok but would look better all white

Ishley
22nd February 2007, 02:21 PM
i saw a 3door 1.8 H or somethin the other day with some bodykit and it looked HAAAAAAWT twin tips out the back

so yeah a white sri or vxr would look schmick

actually some guy on the english forum put up a pic of his half white half arden blue vxr and it looks ok but would look better all white
It might have been the Talon body kit, that looks hot!!!

rusole21
22nd February 2007, 02:47 PM
if ya can afford it id go the audi s3. will be awesome!!

or mps3

luvpsi
22nd February 2007, 02:56 PM
if ya can afford it id go the audi s3. will be awesome!!

or mps3

s3 is a bit pricey:( but in case you can afford to spend up to $60k or so EVO IX cannot be beaten on performance and value for money

Wraith
22nd February 2007, 03:59 PM
As someones already mentioned up above - John I think it was, later this year and next year will see many new releases, I've also decided to hang back and wait, before I choose my next everyday ride :)

New Evo 10 looks mad and it'll be available in a reduced cost ralliart version for 45k.....even this lesser version will destroy all comers;)

New wrx, seems to look not bad too - about time....

New Mazda 3 is also being prepared, if it's as good an update as the Mazda 2, then it'll look really hot.

People comparing MPS 3 and VXR should also look at features, saftety levels/equipment and o/a value for money, not just performance and looks, as Geebs mentioned above.

On all counts except looks, the MPS 3 floors the VXR, but if you "just have to have one" and can live with the price tag, well each to their own :D

Also regarding Recaro seats, as far as I know my TS vert and older Calibra both have Recaros........

The Recaro seat company make mass production factory seats for numerous types of cars, not just high end 'badged' seats.....:)

astro boy
23rd February 2007, 02:40 PM
If you are going on looks alone, the mps3 does have a better interior than the vxr.

Wraith
23rd February 2007, 03:21 PM
If you are going on looks alone, the mps3 does have a better interior than the vxr.

That's absolutely correct ! not only that but features as well !!

The VXR and I believe other 3 door AH Astras don't even have an engine temp. gauge ?? how ridiculous is that :confused:

I should've stated - On all counts except external looks 'only' the MPS 3 out does the VXR !!!

Tfer
23rd February 2007, 08:40 PM
That's absolutely correct ! not only that but features as well !!

The VXR and I believe other 3 door AH Astras don't even have an engine temp. gauge ?? how ridiculous is that :confused:

I should've stated - On all counts except external looks 'only' the MPS 3 out does the VXR !!!

The AH Astra CD 5 door didn't have a temperature gauge..... true. Stupid :mad:

kabel
24th February 2007, 04:44 AM
Quote:
The VXR and I believe other 3 door AH Astras don't even have an engine temp. gauge ?? how ridiculous is that

There is an engine coolant read out accessible via the onboard computer
which displays on the LCD screen.
But yes there is no anolog guage.

VZKOOP
3rd June 2007, 01:45 PM
The only car I'm yet to test drive is a AH Turbo. Tested the Golf GTi & R32 - The R32 is such a horn sounding car but for the money you can't go past the GTi. Tested an A3 T standard & Quattro.... The standard is the one I'd buy out of those 2. Tested an MPS 3 & an XR5 - XR5 was the better package, MPS was the better performer.
Thought about selling the Monaro a while back and even test drove a 335 - Wow! If I had the price of 3 & half Astra's in spare change I'd definately pick me up one of those..... Still not as fast as the Koop but had everything else in spades.
I have to have a test drive of the Astra so I can make up my mind about my daily driver. I love driving my wifes Astra TS Turbo. It's so much fun around the city and scares the bejingees out of most cars on the road.
Did anyone read that article in one of the car mags a while back on the Walkinshaw SRi? Surely you could do all that for less than the extra 10K that they are asking for that thing?

luvpsi
3rd June 2007, 02:38 PM
The only car I'm yet to test drive is a AH Turbo. Tested the Golf GTi & R32 - The R32 is such a horn sounding car but for the money you can't go past the GTi. Tested an A3 T standard & Quattro.... The standard is the one I'd buy out of those 2. Tested an MPS 3 & an XR5 - XR5 was the better package, MPS was the better performer.
Thought about selling the Monaro a while back and even test drove a 335 - Wow! If I had the price of 3 & half Astra's in spare change I'd definately pick me up one of those..... Still not as fast as the Koop but had everything else in spades.
I have to have a test drive of the Astra so I can make up my mind about my daily driver. I love driving my wifes Astra TS Turbo. It's so much fun around the city and scares the bejingees out of most cars on the road.
Did anyone read that article in one of the car mags a while back on the Walkinshaw SRi? Surely you could do all that for less than the extra 10K that they are asking for that thing?

you sure could:) and you would probably have left over change to upgrade the turbo and the ecu map. But i would still buy the vxr over walkinshaw sri-t