PDA

View Full Version : SriT Article

rjastra
6th February 2007, 09:08 AM
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_108019/article.html

Apex
6th February 2007, 09:49 AM
Man some journalists really give the Astra a bashing, seems 50/50, some gave the car a glowing review others poo poo it!

Personally I feel it takes more than a day drive to establish how good a vehicle is!

Think a lot of them have never saved up and actually purchased a new car themselves, so most can’t comprehend a thing called value for money:dance: .

Walks off crying because stupid journo compeered my brilliant SRi to a horrible Mazda product!:(

SSS_Hoon
6th February 2007, 10:04 AM
I agree though with that article.

I think that the SRiT isnt a sports/performance car and was never designed for that purpose in the first place. To me it seems as if it was meant for the luxurious market that like that little whistling noise when they back off but still want the mod cons.

The same as the G SRiT, and i think that is why they brought out the VXR to cross over into the performance/sports class.

just my 2.2cents

SSS_Hoon

sir-sri
6th February 2007, 11:43 AM
Be interested to see if they do a review on the VXR as well. Wonder if they'll hate it as much as Clarkson did!

Apex
6th February 2007, 11:58 AM
Bold statement of the day: In my opinion any front wheel drive hatch should not be classed as a sports or performance car, it’s simply not what hatches are designed for.

The Astra SRi is a hot hatch, nothing more nothing less, a practical car that is fun to drive.

Mr T
6th February 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah I agree...7.5Sec 0-100 is not a real performance car...just a quick luxo hatch.

Apex
6th February 2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah I agree...7.5Sec 0-100 is not a real performance car...just a quick luxo hatch.

Does anyone know the 0-100kph time that qualifies a car as being a real performance car?:D

Wraith
6th February 2007, 01:16 PM
That one keeps changing with time, but to date a car that can at least do a sub 6 or high 5 second 0-100km/h sprint would be considered a performance car - in terms of acceleration.

As for the Astra, each has their own opinion, I don't think anyone, even Opel consider their Astra Sri t to be a performance car......

As stated above, I too think that's why they've released the VXR model - to try and tap into that area.

SSS_Hoon
6th February 2007, 01:24 PM
OMG i dont believe a thread where ppl actually agree with me.

you do love me you really love me

:D :D :D

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
6th February 2007, 02:37 PM
OMG i dont believe a thread where ppl actually agree with me.

you do love me you really love me

:D :D :D

SSS_Hoon

HILARIOUS LOL

Mr T
6th February 2007, 02:41 PM
Actually is was just Wraith and I...I'll pick up my swifty tonight, Wriath has Paypal...

jsantos
6th February 2007, 06:33 PM
I had written a whole rant about why this guy didn't know what he was talking about.

On second thoughts i decided i probably wasn't being fair to him.

So here is a summary.

Point one
The article is an opion peice not a car review, I have a very differnt opinion to the author things like " it feels as if the 40 series tyres are simply too low in profile for the rest of the suspension tune." and "The controls are also a case of ‘look good’ rather than ‘work well’." Are in my opinion totally void as the ride quality is exactly what i expect and the controls are spot on.

Point two
"But for us it’s a try-hard car, with controls lacking cohesion and simplicity, an engine that now feels off the class pace,"
I would like to know which cars are in this class he is refering to. I have driven many and nothing under 34,990 feels as quick.
And if the class in question is turbo charged hatches then the only cars that are faster then it in the "Class" cost at least 4K more that includes the XR5T which whilst having a sticker price of only 1K more will cost you about another 3K to get on the road then the SRI-T. As for things like direct injection, "Variable valves" They are all great little features, however the power output and 0-100 is about the same as a manual Golf GTI for 39,000 or a Audi A3 2.0T for 50,000.

So that would be my opinion why anyone that is interested in buying an STI-Turbo should ignore that entire article, If you are after an opinion peice on the SRI-Turbo read and enjoy the article, Just don't take it seriously.

Shaun
6th February 2007, 07:13 PM
Value for Money is what the AH SRi T is. I have driven one and they are a nice drive.
I think they fit the Hot Hatch Market well for there price. Cheap price for a Turbo hatch with a sport look about it.

Ishley
6th February 2007, 07:51 PM
Value for Money is what the AH SRi T is. I have driven one and they are a nice drive.
I think they fit the Hot Hatch Market well for there price. Cheap price for a Turbo hatch with a sport look about it.
:clap: I think that sums up the SRiT perfectly, coming form someone that owns one :)

Red AH SRI T
6th February 2007, 07:53 PM
:clap: I think that sums up the SRiT perfectly, coming form someone that owns one :)

I'll second that ;)

Apex
6th February 2007, 07:55 PM
I can see where the journalist is coming from, pricing and competition seems a tad more fierce in the wonderful land of Australia.

On this side of the ditch the SRI-Turbo is the best performance oriented new car money can buy for under $40K. Hence why I brought one, it only cost me $36,995NZD it’s in a class of its own as we don’t get the Focus ST or the Astra VXR. The 3MPS is $47k the Golf and the Renault cost over $50k:boohoo: .

After I spend a couple of grand on performance upgrades my car will be no slower then any of the above anyway.:eh:

rjastra
7th February 2007, 03:15 PM
So that would be my opinion why anyone that is interested in buying an STI-Turbo should ignore that entire article, If you are after an opinion peice on the SRI-Turbo read and enjoy the article, Just don't take it seriously.

Who do you trust? Someone who has no real reason to show a bias towards a car... or someone who owns one ;)

JE usually has a balanced view when reviewing a car.
I have read many of them.

Apex
7th February 2007, 04:47 PM
It hard to read an article that says the car that you’ve saved your hard earned dosh for is crap and not get slightly defensive! Im sure he is a wonderful journalist and is destined to one day write for Women’s Day. :p

jsantos
7th February 2007, 07:13 PM
Who do you trust? Someone who has no real reason to show a bias towards a car... or someone who owns one ;)

JE usually has a balanced view when reviewing a car.
I have read many of them.

The first part of that sentence is "In my opinion" so i fully admit my bias and in no way refer to my comments are fact, it's merely what i beleive which is why i am on a forum and not writing car reviews.

Also, i always listen to people who own cars over people who review them. That why i'm a member of many car forums and spoke to a couple of owners on here before going ahead with the purchase they know the cars much more intimatly.

I am the first to admit all the short comings of the SRI-T i just don't beleive the things that he has listed are real short comings in the car compared to other $36,000 cars, They are compared to 40 - 46,000 sure. Which is why i beleive the article should be ignored by anyone that is seriously considering one all the things "Reviewed" are much better decided by the person if they got in and drove one rather then reading about it. If someone isn't serious and just wants to hear an opion then as i said by all means read it. Comments like the engine being out classed are what reduces his credibility, i've driven everything in the class 40,000K GTI feels no better 30,000 SP23 feels alot worse. 3MPS scared the be-jebus out of me. (i'm far to young for that car)

So basically he might write great articles, however for me his writing is laced with things i consider to be infactual and therefore his credibility is shot.

That being said cars are an emotional thing and so obviously theres a fair chance no matter what anybody says about a car, once you fall in love you will always be in love.

rjastra
7th February 2007, 10:33 PM
am the first to admit all the short comings of the SRI-T i just don't beleive the things that he has listed are real short comings in the car compared to other $36,000 cars, They are compared to 40 - 46,000 sure.

Why are you bringing $$ into it? The competitors for the SRiT are the MPS3, XR5T, Golf Gti and Megane 225. All are within 10% of the price of the Astra.

From what I read they seem to be shortcomings no matter the price.

It's his opinion and he has had access to drive alot more cars than either of us.

Also, i always listen to people who own cars over people who review them

I only listen to the owners of a car if they have both positive and negative things to say about it ;) Then again most people will slavishly boast about positives of a car that is generally thought of as crap. Just teh way people are.

jsantos
7th February 2007, 11:09 PM
I'm bringing money into it because of his comment about engines in the "class"
"Engine now behind class average"
I think he has simply made up his own class which is consistent of every turbo 4 cyl hatch. The VXR and 3MPS should never be compared with the SRI-T. The xr5T is more expensive however is definatly the pace setter for the class, and the Golf GTI dosen't feel any quicker.

within 10% is a bit of a stretch 10% of my car is $3590 and you can't get a golf GTI for 39490 on road with parking sensors and tint. Which means that the car that closest in costs more then 10% extra and has the same power output. And getting a Focus for that price would be just as difficult. (not to mention it being difficult to get a focus at any price)

That is the kind of thing that when i read a review make me think the reviewer is talking more about what he thinks then what he has researched. It's simply stuff written that backs up an opinion the author has formed, however it's finding and portraying evidence in a way that supports and opinion rather then following evidence to reach a factual statement like "The SRI-T feels underpowered when compared to the top notch offerings of the top of the line offerings by HSV Ford and Mazda" I would 100% agree with that statement if it was made, however it wasn't.

platypus
8th February 2007, 08:51 AM
price ?

class is on size, then features, then price... and since we are still talking sub 55k here they are the same class

since we are all baggin out people here, its worth noting that most journos don't often get to drive the cars they write about and when they do the cars they have driven recently will be compared to it...
most of those fetures mentioned will add torque which will add to the overall driver experience...

don't feel bad about it, its a paper article, written about paper figures

real life? doesn't come into it

Shaun
8th February 2007, 08:57 AM
At the end of the day if you want a SRi T your going to buy it. If you want a Focus you will buy it, if you want the MPS 3 you will buy one, and if you want a VXR then you will buy that .

What im getting at most people buying a car in the "Hot Hatch Market" know what they want.

rjastra
8th February 2007, 09:16 AM
within 10% is a bit of a stretch 10% of my car is $3590 and you can't get a golf GTI for 39490 on road with parking sensors and tint.

A mate just bought a 3door Gti for $40,000.. drive away.

People should buy what they want. There are no bad cars around anymore. You should have been buying cars back in the 80s (like i was!!) There was a huge difference between the best/worse in a class.

Wraith
8th February 2007, 10:28 AM
A mate just bought a 3door Gti for $40,000.. drive away.

People should buy what they want. There are no bad cars around anymore. You should have been buying cars back in the 80s (like i was!!) There was a huge difference between the best/worse in a class.

Very good point and you are absolutely right :)

Good to see another 'oldie' :D

I too was buying cars in the early '80's - lots of crap back then.

But as stated above each to their own for what ever reasons of their own !

It's hard to get a 'bad' car these days, most are very good, it's more all about trying to get value for money and whatever appeals to the individual, at the end of the day, they're all good

rjastra
8th February 2007, 10:51 AM
I too was buying cars in the early '80's - lots of crap back then.

I remember picking up my new 1992 N14 SSS Pulsar (with ABS!!). What a revelation. Arguably the best hot hatch available in Oz at the time ;)

And the 1997 Pug 306 Gti-6 was even better! Far more involving to drive than any Gti/mps3/Srit you can buy now.

ahhhhh... memories.

Wraith
8th February 2007, 11:56 AM
hahaha it's a small world, I too purchased an N14 immediately after they were released in November '91 - it was a Pulsar Q, great car.

What a difference compared to the VH Commodore I purchased in the early eighties :)

But as you said, all those older cars were more involving to drive, I had a '71 Torana XU1 which I later went nuts on and modified silly, but what a handful they were....yes memories

SSS_Hoon
8th February 2007, 01:06 PM
I remember picking up my new 1992 N14 SSS Pulsar (with ABS!!). What a revelation. Arguably the best hot hatch available in Oz at the time ;)

still is the hottest hatch in Oz, that is why i own one, nothing comes close in looks to the jap spec SSS.

(flame suit on :D )

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
8th February 2007, 01:36 PM
Agreed, for it's age :)

Don't know about the bonnet scoop though - not very pretty IMO :rolleyes:

Ishley
8th February 2007, 02:51 PM
[quote=rjastra;200117]I remember picking up my new 1992 N14 SSS Pulsar (with ABS!!). What a revelation. Arguably the best hot hatch available in Oz at the time ;)QUOTE]

still is the hottest hatch in Oz, that is why i own one, nothing comes close in looks to the jap spec SSS.

(flame suit on :D )

SSS_Hoon
Oh dear :rolleyes:

SSS_Hoon
8th February 2007, 03:35 PM
Agreed, for it's age :)

Don't know about the bonnet scoop though - not very pretty IMO :rolleyes:

what bonnet scoop? the jap spec SSS pulsar has no such scoop.

oh i think you thinking about the 2 door 4wd version GTiR yeah i hate them scoops also.

SSS_Hoon

Apex
8th February 2007, 04:49 PM
No such thing as a Jap spec SSS, in Japan the Sentra SSS was not available; all they had was a Pulsar 1.8 GTi 5dr.

The only 2.0 ltr available was in the mighty Pulsar GTI-R 3dr.

rjastra
8th February 2007, 05:09 PM
No such thing as a Jap spec SSS, in Japan the Sentra SSS was not available; all they had was a Pulsar 1.8 GTi 5dr.

The N14 Pulsar SSS was initially made in Australia. From 1993 onwards it was fully imported from Japan.

The same vehicle was marketed in Europe as the Sunny Gti with the SR20DE engine.

SSS_Hoon
8th February 2007, 05:29 PM

The only 2.0 ltr available was in the mighty Pulsar GTI-R 3dr.

umm yeah there is too such a thing as a Jap Spec SSS i should know i own one and have for some years now.

that right i dont think NZ got the N14 5 door SSS they only got the 3 door GTiR and the GTi..

well we got them out here. here is a link to some pics of mine for your reference http://members.optusnet.com.au/sss_hoon/SSS_Photo%27s.htm

i thought ppl on here actually thought before they posted to make sure there facts were correct :D :D :D

SSS_Hoon

Ishley
8th February 2007, 05:53 PM
I thought all Jap Spec ones had the sunroof?.... :confused:

BUT anyway back on the topic on the SRiT

SSS_Hoon
8th February 2007, 06:02 PM
nope they only had the sunroof if you ABS.

yeah back on topic.

if your only buying a car due to what other people have said even if they do own the car in question, then i think your stupid. you should buy a car without at least driving it, yeah reading up on it for sure but dont take what they say about it too be true and to let it make up your mind. in the end your the one that will be paying for it and driving it so its all up to you..

SSS_Hoon

Ishley
8th February 2007, 06:11 PM
if your only buying a car due to what other people have said even if they do own the car in question, then i think your stupid. you should not buy a car without at least driving it, yeah reading up on it for sure but dont take what they say about it too be true and to let it make up your mind. in the end your the one that will be paying for it and driving it so its all up to you..

SSS_Hoon
This would be good advice to ANY person looking to buy a car, weather you know alot about cars or not...

rjastra
8th February 2007, 06:19 PM
I tend to look favourably on car tests if more than one publication has come to the same conclusion.

So, if I was looking for a new car and several publications had been lukewarm about it then I would tend to look at another model.

Apex
8th February 2007, 08:52 PM
umm yeah there is too such a thing as a Jap Spec SSS i should know i own one and have for some years now.

that right i dont think NZ got the N14 5 door SSS they only got the 3 door GTiR and the GTi..

well we got them out here. here is a link to some pics of mine for your reference http://members.optusnet.com.au/sss_hoon/SSS_Photo%27s.htm

i thought ppl on here actually thought before they posted to make sure there facts were correct :D :D :D

SSS_Hoon

Jap spec (JDM) and Japanese assembled are two different things.

NZ got the N14 and N15 pulsar SSS’s,my mother in-law to be has one
(N14), I used to have a UK imported Primera GT 5dr. with the SR20DE red top.

The GTI and GTI-R were never sold NZ New and were only imported used from Japan.

I do know a thing or two about these cars and believe the N14 SSS is a dammed fine car!

:offtopic: Sorry :naughty:

Apex
8th February 2007, 09:04 PM

And the 1997 Pug 306 Gti-6 was even better! Far more involving to drive than any Gti/mps3/Srit you can buy now.

ahhhhh... memories.

Have to agree I own two hot hatches, the SRi and a 1985 Corolla GT and I hate to admit it but if I had to choose between them as to witch one id take on that Sunday blat in the country id have to say it would be the 22 year old Corolla every time!:D

The new hatches are no longer that compact, the Astra weighs a good 500kg more than the Corolla!

sasrit
12th February 2007, 10:57 AM
Have to agree I own two hot hatches, the SRi and a 1985 Corolla GT and I hate to admit it but if I had to choose between them as to witch one id take on that Sunday blat in the country id have to say it would be the 22 year old Corolla every time!:D

The new hatches are no longer that compact, the Astra weighs a good 500kg more than the Corolla!

Ahhhh....memories! I had a 1988 AE86 Corolla Twin Cam 16 with modified suspension, what a fantastic little car, revved to 7700 with a big kick at 5000 or something, was on rails, made the flimsy construction less important.....same as my 95 Peugeot 306 S16, 116kw 2.0 litre, fantastic handling, brilliant seats, only problem was being on a first name basis with the spare parts department at the dealer.......the French can design a good car but the (UK) build quality let them down.

Wraith
12th February 2007, 12:56 PM
Actually is was just Wraith and I...I'll pick up my swifty tonight, Wriath has Paypal...

hahaha LOL :D

Sorry to go off topic, but just noticed this one.

Hey SSS don't know about MrT but I'm still waiting for my 'cash for comments' :D :D :D LOL

Mr T
12th February 2007, 01:08 PM
Hey SSS don't know about MrT but I'm still waiting for my 'cash for comments' :D :D :D LOL

I received services in lieu of payment...;)