PDA

View Full Version : White/blue headlight bulbs

GreyRex
5th February 2007, 02:29 PM
I thought i'd post a thread on here to get onto the topic of disgussing aftermarket bulbs in headlights. I currently have Phillips Blue Vision in mine (which bascially have no trace of blue, just an okish white). I thought to myself right, i'd like to upgrade to Phillips Cystal Vision in both my headlights and driving lights. In the Barina SRi, they're H7 for your headlights and H3 for your fogs. Hows this... $132 for the H7's and $99 for the H3's. That's a grand total of $231 for the effect/look im after!! That is disgusting. They aren't worth that, but ive seen them, and it's the look im after. I don't feel comfortable buying off ebay, especially with something as fragile as bulbs. Narva I don't really know much about, and i might just get the same colour I have at the moment. I know in effect, the whiter the bulb, the less it's supposed to project, but I'm willing to take a gamble on that. It really goes to show how crap the market is here for this stuff. What have you people done?

ROCCO
5th February 2007, 03:40 PM
I have those ones I can't remeber if its crystal vision or diamond vision I have in my H but they look sick they look identical to real HIDs...i'll take some photos and upload so you can see.....

GreyRex
5th February 2007, 04:41 PM
If you could work out exactly which ones they are, that'd be great... although pics are a little hard to go by. Mine's the 04 SRi, so it's got that projector look headlight bulb... sort of flickers yellow/blue/white as you drive along. Looks good, but want it have that xenon effect

MAD-16V
5th February 2007, 05:50 PM
I have crystal visions in my low beam / parkers - Awesome lights.

MatsHolden
5th February 2007, 05:59 PM
G'day Ben, go the Crystal Visions like i've got in my low beam, they don't throw as far, but I havn't noticed it. I wouldn't go the Diamond Visions as they are EXTREMELY blue and have a noticeable less beam penetration and are bad in poor whether conditions. Also the Diamond Visions will more likely attract the boys on blue, even thought the Crystal Visions are not streert legal, they don't seam to notice them as much.

In regards to penetration of the beam, with normal halogen globes, the darker the bulb glass is the lower the throw of the beam will be. So you can get the same colour temperature as xenons, but will never get the same light output as xenons.

I've got Crystal Visions in my low beams with matching Crystal Vision parker golbes and Blue Visions in my high beams. The Blue Visions are good for the high beams as they still penetrate the same distance as an OEM globe but with a slightly better colour temp. Also i'd only go with Phillips as pretty much all car manufacturers use them as OEM items and they do have a quartz glass lense which cuts out the UV light produced by the globes. If you have globes that don't have a quartz glass they cause your lenses to fog/go yellow.

Cheers
Mat

GreyRex
5th February 2007, 06:10 PM
They are so blue though!! Don't you get pulled over by the cops for them? And how well can you see at night as opposed to normal bulbs?

MatsHolden
5th February 2007, 06:33 PM
They are so blue though!! Don't you get pulled over by the cops for them? And how well can you see at night as opposed to normal bulbs?

Nope, don't have any problems with the Police. And i've had them in for nearly 2 years. Can see just as good at night compared to normal ones, it's actually a lot nicer on the eyes, don't feel like i'm straining them as much.

BMAN
5th February 2007, 06:36 PM
While we are chatting about bulbs and headlights, anyone know the bulbs types (H7, H3, H1, etc) for the AH SRiT?

MatsHolden
5th February 2007, 06:45 PM
While we are chatting about bulbs and headlights, anyone know the bulbs types (H7, H3, H1, etc) for the AH SRiT?

H7 for the low beams, not sure on the high beams.

Blue_Dvl
5th February 2007, 07:08 PM
yeah i have Phillips Blue Vision both in high beam and low beam, but run white led(4) in my parkers. Came to a total cost of around $150 for the whole lot..... I chose blue vision as they give a nice white light and i don't lose any light as some of the bluer (diamond, crystal vision)globes

I wouldnt using anything other than phillips. There are a lot of cheaper ones (autotechnica, etc....) but they dont last. I experienced this on previous cars one of which lasted only a week. Prices are pretty much a muchness, but most autobarns do have light boxes which give you an idea on the light you can expect. Bursons would most likely be the cheapest.

ROCCO
5th February 2007, 10:02 PM
ahh haaa i worked it out I have Diamond Vision...yes they are very blue...the boys have pulled me over before but my excuse...they come standard...HIDs...most cops don't know the difference...and won't go in to check..the only ones you gotta look out for is the vicroads cars...those guys know there stuff...was a prick to install in teh H but they looka treat at night....althought I do agree with Matt...if its raining they become well the light out put is crap...as for parkers... i have the standard holden issued ones as I can't be fudged dismanteling the headlight unit to get to them...way too hard and i'm lazy hehe...one day i will but for now i'm very happy with the globes...photos to come tuesday night....(need ot take some)

platypus
6th February 2007, 12:02 AM
try http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

been using them for about 5 years!! really good, take about a week and a lot cheaper than locally!

GreyRex
6th February 2007, 12:10 PM
Nope, don't have any problems with the Police. And i've had them in for nearly 2 years. Can see just as good at night compared to normal ones, it's actually a lot nicer on the eyes, don't feel like i'm straining them as much.

Lol i was actually meaning mad-16v's post, well actually his picture. They look so blue. I know what yours look like Matt... they look good. Just damn expensive to do lights and fogs. And im going to have to get someone to take the bumper off to do it. I chopped up my hand doing it myself last time

MAD-16V
6th February 2007, 12:24 PM
They dont look that blue in reality - If you take a picture of your car at night with a slightly longer exposure time on your camera they look really blue.

Wraith
6th February 2007, 01:01 PM
I have those ones I can't remeber if its crystal vision or diamond vision I have in my H but they look sick they look identical to real HIDs...i'll take some photos and upload so you can see.....

Sorry guys, but none of the aftermarket halogen replacement bulbs can match the look of the real deal !!! ie: Xenon HID's whichever the light spectrum......

I've treid to match up the fog lights on my Astra T with suitable halos to match the HID's up above, with no success, they look and produce a far inferior light.

I appreciate this thread and it's good for those who want info on the topic, but for me who has HID's on both my cars, all those aftermarket hologen replacements trying to mimmick them look crap !

Most have too much blue and are so obvious as being fake.

The brighter 'whiter' halogen replacement globes are a good choice, for improved light/visibility at night.

My 2 cents worth - if you want that Xenon HID look, get the real thing....;)

GreyRex
6th February 2007, 01:59 PM
Good point, but i cbf. Just going to do a simple swap of the bulbs for cystal visions. Before i did it i just wanted a general consensus. I know they're not Xenons... im not under and false illusions. Im just trying to make the most of what i currently have. One day i'll have a car with all the goodies, and more. But for now, this will do

platypus
6th February 2007, 07:27 PM
I've treid to match up the fog lights on my Astra T with suitable halos to match the HID's up above, with no success, they look and produce a far inferior light.what about PIAA yellow fog light globes?
legal, and they won't match.. they arn't designed to!

ROCCO
6th February 2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry guys, but none of the aftermarket halogen replacement bulbs can match the look of the real deal !!! ie: Xenon HID's whichever the light spectrum......

I've treid to match up the fog lights on my Astra T with suitable halos to match the HID's up above, with no success, they look and produce a far inferior light.

I appreciate this thread and it's good for those who want info on the topic, but for me who has HID's on both my cars, all those aftermarket hologen replacements trying to mimmick them look crap !

Most have too much blue and are so obvious as being fake.

The brighter 'whiter' halogen replacement globes are a good choice, for improved light/visibility at night.

My 2 cents worth - if you want that Xenon HID look, get the real thing....;)

Where did you get your real deal HIDs from?? I wouldn't mind getting a set down on the H...I mean your right they don't look the same but if your wanting to be just that bit different get some...how hard was it to hook the HIDs up to the Astra?? how long did it take/cost?

MatsHolden
6th February 2007, 11:07 PM
Where did you get your real deal HIDs from?? I wouldn't mind getting a set down on the H...I mean your right they don't look the same but if your wanting to be just that bit different get some...how hard was it to hook the HIDs up to the Astra?? how long did it take/cost?

As i've mentioned in many posts in regards to HID Xenons in other threads, unless you have self levelling headlamps (and I think lense washers) it's illegal to fit them. Just keep that in mind. :)

platypus
7th February 2007, 07:40 AM
takes about 15 minutes, 20 if your being careful

Wraith
7th February 2007, 09:19 AM
what about PIAA yellow fog light globes?
legal, and they won't match.. they arn't designed to!

Good idea, would definitely consider something like that if we had fog/snow or bad weather here all the time, but not the case......

Wraith
7th February 2007, 09:36 AM

Ebay is your friend :)

Get a set that has been specifically made to fit your application, NOT a one set 'fits all' kit and you can't go wrong !!!

There are many to suit the H7 application of the Astra G and twice as many specific sets for H1 replacement.

Cost should be around $250-$350 for a set.

Also try to stick to a light spectrum output of 4500-8000k, any higher and you begin to go into the deep blue light spectrum, which actually lights up the road much less - defeating the purpose of getting them in the first place.

Yes they are not legal, this point has been brought up many times, BUT niether are many other modifications you do to your car, that it was not originally born with, it's an individual choice.....

Regarding the HID's do it right and make sure you adjust them a little more 'downwards' than usual so as to not bother other road users and you won't have a problem.

I also suggest to not use them on standard reflector headlight assemblies, only on projector lamp equiped headlights, this controls the light spread much better and you won't cause massive blinding/dazzling to other people.

I've had them in my Calibra for nearly 2 years, encounted numerous cop cars at night head on and had no problems, never even had a second glance !!!

I've said this before regarding HID's - These days they are so common with factory released cars, I seriously doubt police are too concerned with them, you are much more likely to attract attention with those very blue-ish or green-ish or purple-ish aftermarket bulbs than a set of HID's ;)

platypus
7th February 2007, 11:07 PM
Good idea, would definitely consider something like that if we had fog/snow or bad weather here all the time, but not the case......

but melbourne!!
they are designed to be used in fog only, not as auxillary lights after all :p

jerrypufflewell
8th February 2007, 12:29 AM

Hmm did you miss that word you said? fog lights i.e for use in fog or heavy rain...

Wraith
8th February 2007, 10:42 AM
Hmm did you miss that word you said? fog lights i.e for use in fog or heavy rain...

No I caught that point, but like I said, not enough bad weather periods to justify fitting yellow foggies.....

If in Europe, different story.

The yellow light they produce is useless for any other purpose, I like to use my foggies on poorly or non lit up roads/streets !!

If they were useful here in Oz, (ie: yellow fog lights) don't you think that our own OEM makers like Holden and Ford would have fitted them as standard to their cars ?? like Euro and other O/S countries do !!

But not the case is it ??? ;)

jerrypufflewell
8th February 2007, 11:19 AM
That's what high beam / driving lights are for, but you have a point.

I have yellow aftermarket foggies on mine as it's fairly common in winter to have thick fog somewhere between home and uni, and driving lights for the open road etc.

On the topic of Blue halogens, I use Narva Arctic Blue H4 55/65W and some el cheapo driving lights with clear bulbs but blue lense. Can't say much for the arctic blues on high beam as I usually have drivers on as well (from memory they seemed no worse than whatever 55/100W bulbs I had in there before), and low-beam is better on reflectors etc. than before.

Wraith
8th February 2007, 11:36 AM
To answer your original question - I think you've changed your post above - but.....

I want to use the fog lights because they are already there fitted to the car and they are a good feature to light up the roads more when needed as I've already stated.

They are a much better choice than blinding people with high beams to do the same !!

My point on that above was to try and emphasize that it was not possible to match the light colour/output of HID's with Halogens - no matter what type they are, this was to answer some of the other points brought up on other posts on this thread, regarding after market Hologens being as good as HID's, which is clearly not the case !

Hope it's all clear for you, it is for me :)

mr_sikma
8th February 2007, 11:42 AM
gday, the Corsa C uses H7 globes in both low beam and high beam.
Hope this helps!

cheers

is this right? or do they have h3 and h7?

GreyRex
8th February 2007, 12:04 PM
H7 both low and high beam
H3 only for fogs

jerrypufflewell
8th February 2007, 02:34 PM
To answer your original question - I think you've changed your post above - but.....

No question... I changed my mind (see the edit statement i made no sense) ;)

J
9th February 2007, 10:29 AM
try http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

been using them for about 5 years!! really good, take about a week and a lot cheaper than locally!

Thanks for the advice platypus :) I am in the process of ordering some PowerPlus H7 for my Corsa C now through them. Prefer to stick with Philips, they were fantastic in my old car, but the BOGOF sale is too tempting to ignore ;)

Regards,
Jeff