PDA

View Full Version : Personalised Plates!!!!

mackeysam
4th February 2007, 02:03 AM
hey everyone...

my girlfriend revealed to me today that she is planning to buy me a set of personalised plates for my birthday which is coming up on the 17th of feb...that would make me 18!!!!!!! yay!!!!

anyway i have a dialemma. i have an subaru impreza...however it is not a WRX...its a GX...now i know for sure that i am going to stick with impreza's for a while now...and i plan to keep my current impreza for at least 3 years. i really want the plates WRX-089 (89 being my birth year). i'm worried that people will think that i'm a tool for have WRX plates on a GX...so do people here think the same thing? i mean i'll admit that it might seem a little lame...but yeah i just want people's opinions...so yeah shout out please!!!!! i just want a plate that has something to do with cars in general and yeah...

thankyou for ur input!
have fun and stay safe!
sam

dustbug
4th February 2007, 08:08 AM
Yeee i see what your getting at. If i saw that plate i'd probs be thinking what a wanker... oooo and happy 18th in 2 weeks or so

I found that when i was looking to get plates for my first car, my peugeot 206, i was thinking of getting like something similiar too SLI:206 or something. But then i thought, what happens when i get a new car, i'll need to change number plates and so on. So maybe try and get something that is good but you can take it from car to car.

My plate is DU:57:YS. My name is Dustin (or Dusty) so no matter what car i have, the number plate will always suit.

Good luck dude!

jsantos
4th February 2007, 09:07 AM
I went for JJS20T, Which would not be transferable to another car (unless it was also a 2L Turbo) The thing at least in nsw is that the yearly fee is the expensive part, the $30 to make the plates is the cheap part. So I would say if your having the GX for 3 years to wait untill you get the WRX then pay the extra $30 at that time before you get WRX on your plate.
Not sure what it's like in other states though.

Ishley
4th February 2007, 09:15 AM
You can get the WRX 089 plates, but that doesnt mean you need to put them on straight away. You could hang them on your wall, so your girlfriend wont get angry that your not useing them.

So when you do get a WRX you can put them on that, and not hope that the combination hasnt already been taken!!!

CJB
4th February 2007, 09:17 AM
So I would say if your having the GX for 3 years to wait untill you get the WRX then pay the extra $30 at that time before you get WRX on your plate.
Not sure what it's like in other states though.
Pretty sure he is in QLD - so it would be something like $395 - give or take some dollars. :)

EL BURITO
4th February 2007, 09:52 AM
get something to match the driver not the car. My PLates are about the driver and the car but 95% have NFI wat they mean so they will be going on the next car

Red AH SRI T
4th February 2007, 10:52 AM
my plates are on order

KUR83T

pretty self explanitary really?

mr_sikma
4th February 2007, 11:24 AM
get something to match the driver not the car. My PLates are about the driver and the car but 95% have NFI wat they mean so they will be going on the next car

plates SHOULD be car related...

hate seeing BOBS-1 etc plates...

In SA you pay 180- for them by the year! Its good in a way but the SIKMA plate has cost me like over $500- now...

platypus
4th February 2007, 12:17 PM
meh QLD get them for the person - they transfer with you, so just hold on to them for life

do i have to find the wanker plates clip from the chaser?

Wraith
4th February 2007, 01:06 PM
My opinion - DON'T put plates with a specific meaning/name on a car which it dosn't belong too !!!

Simple fact is most other people/car buffs will indeed think your a wanker.

Especially a wrx, I mean this is one of the most common performance cars out there and the rex community are a very vocal bunch of knobs - well maybe not all of them.

Here's my suggestion - have you thought of 'reserving' these plates, you can do that, ie: purchase them in the normal manner and then just have your RTA hold them until you want to use them OR purchase them and put them away at your place until you get your wrx and use them then.

I've actually done this in the past - that way you won't miss out, just incase someone else takes out the same number/letters plate before you. :)

BTW happy 18th, I'm also a Feb BDay boy ;)

CJB
4th February 2007, 02:19 PM
I know people who have gotten plates to match the car, and what happens when they sell the car? Sometimes they are lucky and sell the plates too with the car - but why get them then? You don't need plates to tell you what the car is - if you don't know, then you're not a car person and chances of caring are slim to none in that case.

Personally if I saw WRX plates on a Rex I wouldnt really pay any attention - because they don't stand out. I know it's a rex.

IMO, get your initials and a number combo, whether it be your dob, age, special numbers... or, make words with the letters and numbers - those kinds of plates are cool. Something to personalise it to you - any idiot can get a Rex and get WRX in the letters - make it stand out dude, it's a gift, so make it about you.

Thats just my thoughts... your call.

MK
4th February 2007, 02:49 PM
i have had few personalised plates (NSW plates).
i, like you, always wanted to stay a true commodore owner and fan (i am still a fan but not an owner)..this way i had to change my plates as they no longer suited my Opel car (astra) and my previous cars... i have since only made up plates that truly reflected me and not the car i have owned :)

if you believe (like i have before) you will stay true to the make of the car (impreza wrx) you should just get the plates and dont care what people might say or think...if not, just get something that will stay with you for ever... SAM-89X (where X is the first letter of your surname) for example...

mackeysam
4th February 2007, 03:26 PM
you guys are awesome!!!! thanks heaps for that...i've had a 2nd thought and i'm thinking maybe something like QIK - 089...WRX - 089 is not taken but yeah i really don't want to look like a wanker...because i really don't think i am :P

i'll keep you all posted but yeah any more feedback would be tops:D

thanks again!!
sam

p.s. yes i live in QLD...Brisbane and you were right the plate price is $395 :D

platypus
4th February 2007, 08:10 PM
I know people who have gotten plates to match the car, and what happens when they sell the car? Sometimes they are lucky and sell the plates too with the car - but why get them then? You don't need plates to tell you what the car is - if you don't know, then you're not a car person and chances of caring are slim to none in that case.there was a v. nice cressida i saw with the plates 2JZE22

cressidas never had that engine in the first place!!! something a little different, or a lot of the mazda 323/ford laser guys get some version of BPT for their engine conversions...

low astra
6th February 2007, 10:49 AM
there was a v. nice cressida i saw with the plates 2JZE22

cressidas never had that engine in the first place!!! something a little different, or a lot of the mazda 323/ford laser guys get some version of BPT for their engine conversions...

i have a work mate who i believe is running that engine in his cressida (a.k.a. the jap taxi ) rather interesting to watch it go

InsaneAsylum
6th February 2007, 10:57 AM
personally if i saw wrx.. on a GX i would think "clueless ****head". i'm sorry to say this but it's the truth, based on the fact that people who see your car on the street aren't going to know the reason why and you'll get sick of explainng yourself to people. hang out on the plates until you get a rex or hang them on your wall as crispy said.

i also think plates are over priced. i tried to get VEC220 in euro plates (VIC) then i found out they're $695... i opted to save my cash... i could get a lightened flywheel, a new set of tyres or bonnet/front bar respray or whatever

mackeysam
6th February 2007, 11:08 AM
PLATES DECIDED!!! buying them today...89-CYA. 89 being my birth year and CYA is in SEEYA...that way i have plates that can be used on any car. They will be dark blue with gold writing. my car is royal blue so they will blend in quite nicely. i'll post the pics from the site and when the plates are on my car i'll take some pics. what do you all think?

sam

p.s. I'm getting slimline for the front and normal size for the rear...

InsaneAsylum
6th February 2007, 11:15 AM
PLATES DECIDED!!! buying them today...89-CYA. 89 being my birth year and CYA is in SEEYA...that way i have plates that can be used on any car. They will be dark blue with gold writing. my car is royal blue so they will blend in quite nicely. i'll post the pics from the site and when the plates are on my car i'll take some pics. what do you all think?

sam

p.s. I'm getting slimline for the front and normal size for the rear...

good one! something that can be transferred to any car and not a poser plate that attracts cops

mackeysam
6th February 2007, 11:27 AM
here's the link to the pics of my plates! i think they are pretty cool :D

mackeysam
6th February 2007, 05:48 PM
PLATES PURCHASED!!! YAY! i got 89-CYA on a royal blue backround with silver writing...should have them on my car by mid next week so i'll post some pics!

thankyou very much to all who contributed to this forum :D you're input was indeed considered and prooved very helpful :D how i love the people at OpelAus :D

stay safe everyone!
chat soon
sam