PDA

View Full Version : Astra Turbo Owners - Leather Interior!?!

JP Dyno
24th May 2004, 08:21 PM
Hi guys,
Last week picked up the keys to my Astra SRi-Turbo, and i'm loving it.

Today i went to work and showed a friend of mine, who owns a arden blue astra turbo. He jumped inside mine and the first thing he pointed out was his interior was different. I checked his out, and confused we went to the catalogue.

It would seem he has the standard astra SRI-Turbo 'Black Leather' interior (Smooth Leather, rippled fitting on the seat), and my Astra SRi-Turbo seems to have the CDX Mondial Leather (Tigher fitting, more textured Leather.)

I asked my dealer, who was just as confused. He asked if i was happy with it... and well, its much of a muchness to me i guess. its still black leather and very nice looking. I'm just curious, have i got a once off mistake from the factory? or are there others like me??

I will get some comparison photos of mine and my mates car soon, but for now have a look at this and check your astras.

http://users.ncable.net.au/~jpdyno/leather.jpg

Mine is build dated October '03, my friends is June '03.

JP Dyno
24th May 2004, 08:25 PM
P.S. One further inspection, you guys will notice the Seat Belt Clips on the two seats are different. the CDX is rippled, and the SRi-T is flat.

My SRi-T has the rippled one, which says to me i have the seats from a CDX.

What the hell is going on here?

Degen-Astra
24th May 2004, 08:29 PM
I would check with Holden what the difference is in the leather used. One may be a better quality hide than the other.

Hrrmmmm....Things are afoot at the Circle K.

mr_astra_retired
24th May 2004, 08:30 PM
ive got the mondial leather as well , and i love it

JP Dyno
24th May 2004, 09:50 PM
Well from what i've heard is that the use the cheaper quality leather for those with the texture (mondial), because the texture hides the imperfections/scarring, etc found in most leather. the smooth leather like the SRI-T's is the more expensive kind because they pay for large pieces without marks or scarring....

but the smooth leather is also easier to leave marks, scratch and so on.

Thats what ive been told anyway

FLY-SRi
24th May 2004, 10:26 PM
I've gotta SRI-T and my seat belts are rippled, but i got the black leather interior now im confused...yer the black leather is betta quality, if i was you i'd hav it changed to black leather

OPL-20T
24th May 2004, 11:01 PM
i have the black leather in my car its all good.
but i also have heard that the black leather is more expencive too just like what JP Dyno has stated above... :)

McG
24th May 2004, 11:05 PM
I'd also request for the Factory seats...
Sounds like the dealership would have got an order on a lower spec Astra (with upgraded leather seats) and they would taken your Factory seats and replaced them with cheaper CDX seats..

Naughty naughty :x

OPL-20T
24th May 2004, 11:31 PM
i can agree with that comment for sure. goot thinking there McG.

blackSRi
24th May 2004, 11:33 PM
Just for interest, when I took an '04 Turbo for a drive 2 weeks ago it had Black smooth leather seats.

Jass
25th May 2004, 07:03 AM
Ive got black leather on mine, if i would have received the mondial leather i would have gone back to holden and told them to place the black leather all over the seats again. After all your paying for this leather (black leather) and not the cheap ass version on the cdx.

Each to there own i guess, but i would have kicked up a fuzz over it

silvestra
25th May 2004, 11:00 AM
One point: The mondial leather is much tougher and will probably last alot longer than the other stuff. It will also be easier to clean. It might not be so bad.

Dee
25th May 2004, 11:12 AM
mm id prefer the non-rippled leather... shitloads easier to clean, either way its all good and you might be the only one to have the different... its unique

tofo
25th May 2004, 11:47 AM
Are the back seats the same leather or different?

rjastra
25th May 2004, 11:51 AM
Considering the australian SRI T is a bitsa model anyway, then it makes perfect sense that as the AStra G is run out in Europe that they start commonalising (sp?) interiors etc etc.

As long as the they are still sports seats and are heated who cares what leather is fitted. Anyway, leather with pleats and loose bits is way out of fashion nowaday 8)

I hope they don't squeak as much as the leather seats fitted to the SRiT i test drove. Enough to drive you crazy.

Jass
25th May 2004, 11:51 AM
All i know is that if iam paying for a particular product and they dont deliver on what there advertising i would expect some sort of compensation.

imay
25th May 2004, 12:28 PM
I'm sure Holden's would be able to fall back on to the old phrase: "We reserve the right to change specifications at any time."
That gets manufacturers out just about any specification argument, I would imagine. I know of a guy who has a CD with full leather intertior. Why? . . . because he happened to be the lucky one to purchase that particular car. Why the leather? Salesman reckons "it just came in like that!"
As rjastra said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the occasional "odd job" during the G run-out. Australia is, after all, the last country to be taking NEW model Gs out of Belgium.

rjastra
25th May 2004, 03:44 PM
All i know is that if iam paying for a particular product and they dont deliver on what there advertising i would expect some sort of compensation.

As stated before... read the fine print on the brochure (or website).. :wink:
I hardly think a change in leather "texture" is a reason for compensation.

sparksy
25th May 2004, 08:37 PM
It is if the replacement isnt to the same value as what was advertised.

Jass
26th May 2004, 06:47 AM
Exaclty my thoughts.

rjastra
26th May 2004, 10:11 PM
It is if the replacement isnt to the same value as what was advertised.

And how do you prove that? Leather is neither an "option" on the CDX or the SRiT. So there is no way to make a judgement on the value of the different leather fitted to each vehicle.

sparksy
26th May 2004, 10:58 PM
Call and ask for a price of one seat... and then ask for the price of the other leather....

OPL-20T
26th May 2004, 11:30 PM
yep exactly what sparkys has stated, not all leathers are the same price..
u can buy a leather coat from Big W and pay $90 or u can buy one from Grace Bros and pay $500.... it all matters if the $$$ aint the same..

Corsa
26th May 2004, 11:58 PM
I've gotta SRI-T and my seat belts are rippled, but i got the black leather interior now im confused...

Rather than look at that pic up above taken from the brouchure, i would suggest looking at the pics in the brochure as they will show up a lot clearer that all the models have rippled covers on the seat belt clip. It is just the angle at which the clip is sitting that makes it look less like it has the ripple in it.
Corsa

rjastra
27th May 2004, 09:06 AM
Call and ask for a price of one seat... and then ask for the price of the other leather....

Reality check... :roll:

u can buy a leather coat from Big W and pay $90 or u can buy one from Grace Bros and pay $500.... it all matters if the $$$ aint the same..

LOL... how does that analogy fit this situation? Price difference is not necessarily an indication of differing quality. :bang:

Rhino
27th May 2004, 11:27 AM
You sure you're not driving a rebadged CDX?!?! :lol: