PDA

View Full Version : TwinTop Test Drive

imay
31st January 2007, 01:22 PM
Well, got to take a TwinTop for a test drive yesterday, and as promised, here is my first drive impression.

Build quality (panel fit, paint, etc.) appears to be good. Up to the Opel standard we have grown to expect.
All the external dimensions are slightly up on the TS Astra, however, it "appears" to be a much bigger car . . . until you climb inside! The doors operate smoother than the TS "notchy" opening/closing, and appear to be a bit shorter in length, making tight spots a bit easier to access.
Once inside, the best feature by far is the new seats. Wider, softer, without feeling like a beanbag, and without the need to navigate your butt around the side "wings" of the TS model.
Nothing really very different in the dash layout from all other AH Astras, other than the odd positioning of the roof open/close and all windows up/down buttons. These are placed in a small overhead console near the interior/map lights. I thought this an unusual place, and would prefer these to be positioned on the dash or centre console. The rear seats would suit carting a couple of kids, and I don't think they are really any different to the TS. The rear seats have permanent head rests that are height adjustable with the roll bars only deployed "if" needed.
The roof operation is smooth, but noisy, with lots of buzzing and whirring of motors opening and closing little bits and pieces. Terribly fussy, really. Looks good with the roof up, possibly better than with it down! Speaking of the roof down . . . couldn't really be bothered with the fidgety operation of having to push the button inside the boot to open the roof half-way so that it's out of the way for you to put something in the boot, then push the button to fold the roof back down. And . . . is there a spare wheel? I don't think so. Space saver only if there is!
Don't particularly like the standard 17" alloys, and the 18" 11 spoke optional ones are going to cost you an extra $3k.
Sitting in the driver's seat, with my lovely passenger alongside, I felt she was closer than in the TS, but this may be an illusion created from the totally different two-tone (silver strips) dashboard.
We only had access to an auto this time around, but that suited us fine. It drives smoothly, and any significant bumps we encountered were adequately absorbed, unlike the suspension in the TS which would make sure you felt every little bump. Didn't have much chance for "spirited" driving, as it was just puttering around the suburbs this time around, but the couple of times I put my foot to the floor, it accelerated away smoothly and fuss free, but certainly not in any hurry. I guess the fact that these things weigh over 200 kg more than the TS would help explain this (and the fact that it only had 39 kms on the clock when we picked it up). Forget about getting away from the lights in a hurry, this reminded me of my wife's old 1.4 Barina auto accelleration. Adequate for around town, but not exciting. I wouldn't want to have to rely on powering out of a sticky situation . . . it's just not going to happen!
So, based on my time in the driver's seat (and walking around and around) yesterday, I won't be placing an order for an AH TwinTop just yet. I'd be interested to see if Holden do end up offering a turbo model further down the track, as this really does need something more to help it along. During my discussions with the salesman afterwards, I got the news that Holden are seriously considering dropping the turbo diesel Astra, as it is just not selling. If that happens, there is obviously no way the turbo diesel will end up in the TwinTop.
Would I buy one? Nup! Look OK, but just not different enough to make me want to change what I already have. There's nothing really NEW about it other than it has a folding steel roof. Well, don't they all now?
I'll just have to wait for the VW Eos in March and see how that fares . . . or there's still the new BMW 3 series convertible coming to a store new you soon!

Wraith
31st January 2007, 03:48 PM
Great review Ian.

I would say with great confidence we'll see the turbo petrol version here in the future - if only a limited run like my TS turbo vert :)

Hang on and wait for that one I reckon ;)

When I checked one out late last year (didn't drive it though) I didn't mind the roof operation at all, in fact I liked the sophistication of it all ( as long as it stays reliable :rolleyes: )

The deployable rear 'roll over' headrest bars are a great feature too IMO and it's something other convertibles such as BMW's have had for years :)

I like the new look rear headrests - look much better and are in a better position than the TS, which are too high.

The new hard top 3 series Beemer verts will be very nice, but the price will be much much higher too, you'll be spending close to or over 100k....

If I were to get one of these, I'd add the rest and only the 335ci tt or M3 convertibles will do :)

As for the Eos, I believe it is based on the new VW Passat, if so it will be an even bigger vert than the twin top, similar size to a 3 series Beemer I'd say.

I doubt also very much that VW Australia will price the Eos competitively compared to the twin top.......more like it'll be priced similar to SAAB convertibles, in which case the twin top wins hands down for value for money....:)

It's all interesting though, we'll have to wait n see how it all pans out :)

MatsHolden
31st January 2007, 04:01 PM
And . . . is there a spare wheel? I don't think so. Space saver only if there is!

Yeh it's a space saver.

Personally I wouldn't by a Twin Top over an SRi Turbo or VXR. Can't justify the extra 10K over the SRi Turbo for a fold away roof, unless you're a die-hard topless fan. But it does look fantastic. Importantly in the aesthetics department it looks great with both the roof up and with it down, which in my eye is really a pre-requisite for a convertable.

blueraven
31st January 2007, 04:18 PM
unless you're a die-hard topless fan.

:D i am...

wait are we talking about cars?

rjastra
31st January 2007, 08:47 PM
I doubt also very much that VW Australia will price the Eos competitively compared to the twin top.......more like it'll be priced similar to SAAB convertibles, in which case the twin top wins hands down for value for money....

I think you will find the EOS will not be priced that high

Of course it will have the benefit of using the turbo engine out of the Golf GTi and maybe even the 3.2L V6 out of the passat.

The EOS is no bigger than the Twin Top. Saw it at the motorshow

Red AH SRI T
31st January 2007, 08:50 PM
Holden aren't thinking of dumping the diesel, well not from what i know.

Why would Holden have just embarked on a month or 2 month long advertising stink on the CDTi if they were going to dump it? (Don't tell me u haven't noticed the non stop Astra CDTi adverts on TV every night)

nicecar
1st February 2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the review Imay, you should work for top gear :)
Talking of Top Gear - The new series is on the internet now, should not be too long and they will be reviewing it..

Wraith
1st February 2007, 08:47 AM
I think you will find the EOS will not be priced that high

Of course it will have the benefit of using the turbo engine out of the Golf GTi and maybe even the 3.2L V6 out of the passat.

The EOS is no bigger than the Twin Top. Saw it at the motorshow

Hope your right........I still bet it'll be priced well over the twin top - probably similar price to a twin top with a pissy little engine, BUT if indeed it comes with the Gti's 2.0ltr turbo, this variants price will be well up there.

On the bright side, a simple re-chipping will bring it up to nearly 200kw - mmmmm, may well make up for thew difference :)

As for it's size, I've checked out the new Passat - it's huge, can't see how the Eos is smaller if it's based on the same wheelbase, floor pan etc. :confused: unless it's not........?? or maybe the Passat sedan just has bigger proportions ??

Certainly bigger than the twin top, which I've also checked out.

imay
1st February 2007, 09:00 AM
Holden aren't thinking of dumping the diesel, well not from what i know.

Why would Holden have just embarked on a month or 2 month long advertising stink on the CDTi if they were going to dump it? (Don't tell me u haven't noticed the non stop Astra CDTi adverts on TV every night)

Have spoken to 3 separate Holden dealer salespeople in the past few days and they all say they just can't sell the Astra diesel. Very disappointing, as it's a great car by all accounts. Just hasn't been embraced by the buying public . . . well here in SA at least. One dealer has sold 2 since before Christmas, another hasn't sold any and will only get them in on order, no display vehicle.
The SRi also is an "order in" vehicle at all 3 dealers. Can't understand that. I think the SRi is very good value for money, and would definitely be my pick if I was after either a 3 or 5 door.

The VW Eos is built on the Golf /Jettaplatform and has the same mechanicals as the Golf/Jetta, so therefore the same size as the TwinTop. Very interestng 5 piece folding roof set-up with a full convertible, full coupe with roof up but with a glass electric sliding sunroof incorporated. So 3 vehicles in one: Convertible, coupe or coupe with full sliding sun-roof. An advancement on the Renault Megane Cabrio. Yum. Price: VW are hoping/expectng around the $45-47K mark to start, with the 2.0 FSI engine being the base. They are hoping to bring in the 2.0 Turbo later.

MatsHolden
1st February 2007, 09:13 AM
Have spoken to 3 separate Holden dealer salespeople in the past few days and they all say they just can't sell the Astra diesel. Very disappointing, as it's a great car by all accounts. Just hasn't been embraced by the buying public . . . well here in SA at least. One dealer has sold 2 since before Christmas, another hasn't sold any and will only get them in on order, no display vehicle.
The SRi also is an "order in" vehicle at all 3 dealers. Can't understand that. I think the SRi is very good value for money, and would definitely be my pick if I was after either a 3 or 5 door.

Might just a be a S.A thing? I'd say about 80% of dealers in metropolitan Victoria have got at least a 2.2 SRi, Twin Top and CDTi if not all three...

Red AH SRI T
1st February 2007, 08:55 PM
we sell quiet a few CDTi's, have people asking all the time for them in coupes and wagons too.

SRi 2.23 is selling really well, most people are waiting a month or more for delivery now.

EL BURITO
1st February 2007, 10:03 PM
we sell quiet a few CDTi's, have people asking all the time for them in coupes and wagons too.

maby Holden should listen to this.

The fact that the wagon is underpowered might get a few more on the road if offered with a oil burner

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2007, 02:16 PM
another soloution is just around the corner ;)

nicecar
3rd February 2007, 04:06 PM
They have an auto Twintop in Youngs Holden, Perth with 18s and lowered. Had a look at it and will go for a test drive next week in a manual. I think you would at least need the 18s as the car has wide wheel arches, these don't look that big and 16/17s would look dinky.

I will try to make a comparison list of the twin top and TS convertible because I am interested in differences, ie 0-100kph acceleration/rear leg room. One thing I dont like about the twintop is that the button to open the roof in located high and close to where the roof shuts. What a bad design.
The boot is massive (when hood up) but when the boot is open, it's lid wobbles about and is not a strong fitment due to the roof mechanism.

Nice flip key at last, the sales guy said that the audio system is more powerful but he neither the brochure could give details of output.

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2007, 05:03 PM
Seven premium speakers. Total 130 watts.

same as CDX and SRi T

nicecar
4th February 2007, 01:33 AM
so thats 4 x 32 Watt. Sure that is 3 watts less per channel that the TS 520 unit..

EL BURITO
4th February 2007, 02:40 AM
so thats 4 x 32 Watt. Sure that is 3 watts less per channel that the TS 520 unit..
that just screams i need upgraded to me.

Will go take a look at yougs some time within the next week if i am down that way were is the manuel u are testdrivinig

nicecar
4th February 2007, 02:33 PM
Here are some interesting comparisons between the 2.2 Twintop (TT) and the 2.2 TS convertible (manual) if you are looking at upgrading like myself:-

TS 2.2 Power (kW) 108
TT 2.2 Power (kW) 110

TS 2.2 Torque 203
TT 2.2 Power 210

TS Weight (kg) 1383
TT Weight (kg) 1590

So the power to weight ratio is:-
TS is 78 kW/Ton
TT is 69 kW/Ton - ouch

TT difference from TS:-

External:- 10mm longer, 122mm wider, 21mm higher.

Internal:-
Front 12mm less leg room, 30mm more sholder room, 2mm more head room, 19mm moe hip room

Rear 82mm less leg room, 1mm more sholder room, 30mm less head room, 250mm less hip room

Cargo:-
Roof opened or closed TS 330 litres

Roof open TT 205 litres
roof open TT 440 litres

The figures are interesting, the car is slightly wider but the rear passenger space is much smaller. I have had 4 adults in my car for a few hour journey and it is not spaceous but it is ok (unless tall people). The TT looks like the rear is only designed for children, no way will you get 4 adults in that car with 25cm less hip room and 8cm less leg room. Shame the metal room has had such an effect on the rear passenger room.

Red AH SRI T
4th February 2007, 04:01 PM
*shock-ed*

Tfer
4th February 2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe the Astra Twintop may me for me afterall.... see what the year brings ;)

bill142
4th February 2007, 09:52 PM
Did you take it out for a surf Imay? According to the TV it rides the waves real well... Everything on TV is true right?

imay
5th February 2007, 08:17 AM
Everything on TV is true right?

No . . . only what you read in the newspapers!

Wraith
5th February 2007, 12:54 PM
No . . . only what you read in the newspapers!

LOL :D

Hi Ian, I have to correct what I stated earlier regarding the size of the Eos.

After a little more research over the weekend into this car (as my missus seems to have taken a liking to the pics I gave her of it) I've discovered that it's actually based on the VW Jetta not the Passat........therefore it's not as big as I thought it would be.

I actually went and checked one out (ie: a Jetta) in my weekend travels and it is a nice medium not large sized car, so the Eos would be similar in size.

It has a very interesting and very cool set of LED tail lights - same cluster dose both red and amber stop light and turn signal duties - very nice indeed.

I too may wait for this vehicle to arrive and take the missus to inspect it, she what she thinks, if price, power plant and options are all the right stuff, it might be a goer :)

imay
5th February 2007, 04:38 PM
regarding the size of the Eos.

I've discovered that it's actually based on the VW Jetta not the Passat.

I too may wait for this vehicle to arrive and take the missus to inspect it, she what she thinks, if price, power plant and options are all the right stuff, it might be a goer :)

You're correct Wraith. The Eos is based on the Jetta, which is really the VW Golf with a boot! (replaces the Bora).

Visit www.volkswagen.com.au and they tell us there that the Eos will be available end of March, and I'm sure I read somewhere it comes with the 2.0 FSI or 2.0 Turbo FSI, with 6 speed manual or 6 speed DSG. Turbo diesel might be further down the track(?). Price is still being reported as around $45-47K, so it compares very favorably with the TwinTop.

If it's anything like the Golf, order one now and be prepared to wait!

digifish
5th February 2007, 04:55 PM

SRi 2.23 is selling really well, most people are waiting a month or more for delivery now.

I'd have got the CDTi coupe if it were available...but it wasn't, nor was leather :(

But I love this car...I have had mine since September last year and look still forward to driving it...yes really, each and every time.

digifish

nicecar
6th February 2007, 03:00 AM
Good Eos review vid:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbt5cBfSr1I

imay
6th February 2007, 03:27 PM
Good find there mate. Some of the other videos in that list are worth a look as well.
It will be interesting to see if the Australian spec cars are the same as the US and Euro versions.

Wraith
6th February 2007, 05:06 PM
Yes ,good review vid there.

Did you see those prices - they're in U.S. dollars and a good indicator is to x2 to get some idea of Oz prices - at that end it'll definitely be much pricy-er than a twin top.

Another comparison is the fully optioned Gti 2.0 turbo which is at well over 50k, the Eos vert with similar features should hit the 60k mark no doubt....

Like I've previously mentioned I reckon this car will be priced similar to SAAB and Pug verts, time will tell :)

rjastra
6th February 2007, 06:14 PM
here are the specs...

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/eos/Eos.pdf

I reckon you will be looking at mid40s-Mid50s depending on spec and transmission.

The base equipment spec looks very similar to that of the GTi.

Judging by the price of the Eos in the UK, it will be of a similar price to the Twin Top.

nicecar
6th February 2007, 08:52 PM
Did you see those prices - they're in U.S. dollars and a good indicator is to x2 to get some idea of Oz prices - at that end it'll definitely be much pricy-er than a twin top.

US cars are cheaper than the Oz/UK. I believe that if you see the uk prices below and x 2.5 you will almost be there (but the UK models have many optioned features that I think the Oz version will have as standard).

Eos
2 L manual 21,115.00 uk pounds = approx $52,000
Sport 2.0 T-FSI auto 24,790.00 uk pounds = approx $61,000

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/pdf/eos_pricelist.pdf

But I hope like the Oz media's price estimating, it will be under $50,000 (with leather and standard twintop features).

This option would be great if in Oz like uk:-

Four 8J x 18 ‘Chicago’ by Individual with 235/40 R18 tyres and anti-theft wheel bolts
Including sports suspension (not lowered)
for 395pounds = $980 dollars!!!!!

Does anyone know when the Oz Eos prices will be released?

Wraith
7th February 2007, 10:04 AM
So I was right in my predictions......since the fully optioned Golf hatch is well over 50k on road, I figured a 2.0 turbo DSG hard top VW vert would easily go over 60k, this would be to one to have, the base model will be underpowered and boring to drive, much like the base twin top IMHO ;)

There will also be a V6 variant - no doubt it'll hit or go over 70k.

We should know for sure when the car arrives, but it's looking like to get a decent spec one of these on the road is gonna cost around the better part of 65k..........mmmm lots of other decent cars to be had for that much money - not verts though :rolleyes:

Twin Top turbo diesel anyone ?? :)

imay
7th February 2007, 11:55 AM
So I was right in my predictions......since the fully optioned Golf hatch is well over 50k on road)

Yea, I agree, but I had a pricing done on the TwinTop I drove: 2.2 auto., metallic paint, 18" option wheels, dealer delivery, ORC = so close to $55,500 drive away it wasn't funny. Admittedly this is before you start any haggling, but I can't imagine there's much they are going to give away on a new model line. VW will, of course, be the same.

And it looks as though there's an awful lot more in the Eos.

Wraith
7th February 2007, 01:09 PM
No doubt about that Ian, plus Eos will have that beautiful and renowned VW/Audi build quality to it :)

But pricing will be the deciding factor for most, hopefully it won't also have a horrific waiting list like some of the Golf range.....

rjastra
7th February 2007, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know when the Oz Eos prices will be released?

Its released in march....

A mate spotted an Eos in Lithgow on the weekend. When questioned the driver said he was running in the car prior to the press release drive.

The car in question was a TDi version

Wraith
7th February 2007, 03:49 PM
That makes sense as VW already have had the TDi Golfs on sale here for some time.

Hopefully this means the Twin Top TDi will also be offered here :)

I'm looking forward to next months international motor show to check all these babies out :)

Red AH SRI T
7th February 2007, 08:40 PM
there is also the new Saab 9-3 TiD convertible.

Hopefully this will make Holden release a Astra TwinTop CDTi

imay
8th February 2007, 03:21 PM
Got some VW Eos prices hot off the press (these are the on-road prices)

Eos 6 speed Manual $52,965
2.0 TDI 6 speed DSG $55,357

Eos 6 speed Manual $55,045
2.0 FSI Turbo 6 speed DSG $57,436

and then come the options:
Metallic/Pearl Effect Paint $718
Electrically adjustable Front Seats $1,550
Bi-xenon Headlights with dynamic cornering lights $2,070
Anti-Theft Alarm System $614
Leather Package - Vienna leather $3,422
- Nappa leather $4,046
Satellite Navigation with 6 disc CD changer $3,110
Dynaudio 600W premium audio system $2,070
Satellite Navigation + 6 disc CD changer & Dynaudio $5,190
Walnut wood decorative inserts $510
Factory Alloy Wheels:
Samarkand 18" with sports suspension $2,590
Volkswagen Individual Package $7,270
includes beige/black Nappa leather package, 18" 'Veracruz' alloy wheels,
sports suspension, piano black interior trim, aluminium door scuff plates

So, it would seem, Wraith was pretty much on the mark with his guesstimate on the pricing structure.

Still a nice looking package though. Think it gets more ticks than the TwinTop as it is at the moment. Let's hope Holden can counter with an up-spec model with a few of the options available to Europe.

EL BURITO
8th February 2007, 03:23 PM
Well i found one in WA to look at its at Phinox Holden. I Have no idear how u would get anohter adult in the back of that car. it was stupid. but it dose look hot

Wraith
8th February 2007, 03:26 PM
Got some VW Eos prices hot off the press (these are the on-road prices)

Eos 6 speed Manual $52,965
2.0 TDI 6 speed DSG $55,357

Eos 6 speed Manual $55,045
2.0 FSI Turbo 6 speed DSG $57,436

and then come the options:
Metallic/Pearl Effect Paint $718
Electrically adjustable Front Seats $1,550
Bi-xenon Headlights with dynamic cornering lights $2,070
Anti-Theft Alarm System $614
Leather Package - Vienna leather $3,422
- Nappa leather $4,046
Satellite Navigation with 6 disc CD changer $3,110
Dynaudio 600W premium audio system $2,070
Satellite Navigation + 6 disc CD changer & Dynaudio $5,190
Factory Alloy Wheels:
Samarkand 18" with sports suspension $2,590
Volkswagen Individual Package $7,270
includes beige/black Nappa leather package, 18" 'Veracruz' alloy wheels,
sports suspension, piano black interior trim, aluminium door scuff plates

So, it would seem, Wraith was pretty much on the mark with his guesstimate on the pricing structure.

Still a nice looking package though. Think it gets more ticks than the TwinTop as it is at the moment. Let's hope Holden can counter with an up-spec model with a few of the options available to Europe.

:eek:

Thanks Ian, I was gonna say " I told you all "

Don't think the AH twin top sales will be affected much by this car :rolleyes:

Top spec petrol turbo - if we get it - will be around 54-56k drive away, maybe get close to 60k with Xenon and other options ;)

EL BURITO
8th February 2007, 03:28 PM

That much for tacky stickers :eek: