PDA

View Full Version : Opel GT

Red AH SRI T
26th January 2007, 04:23 PM
Shame this can't be made in RHD and bought to Australia.

Also sold in Korea as a Daewoo and in the USA as a Saturn.

http://www.netcarshow.com/opel/2007-gt/

KID_SRi
26th January 2007, 05:16 PM
Thats also known as a Opel Lightning.
GMH were talking of bring them here, But as the Daewoo Built Model.

pred8r
26th January 2007, 08:44 PM
Shame this can't be made in RHD

It can and you know they can, they just dont want to.

(Same reason the monaro wasnt made a convertible (and not for the crap reasons that got published either))

MatsHolden
26th January 2007, 08:58 PM
Would've cost way too much to put the Monaro convertable into production. Holden didn't even engineer that convertable, they got a German company to.

pred8r
26th January 2007, 10:19 PM
Would've cost way too much to put the Monaro convertable into production. Holden didn't even engineer that convertable, they got a German company to.

Depends on who you speak to ;)

Was due to be released but, I feel, the extremely poor sales of the GTO killed that whole idea. IIRC the top was being done by saab (or someone else GM owns), took 2-3 years and still wasnt finished to a production standard, thats just crap for the media release.

But back to the topic, I saw the original speedster at the motorshow but I dont think OZ was ready then.

Then again maybe holden isnt viewed by the general public as anything other than an 'Aussie V8 Bloke' vehicle manufacturer and definately NOT a small sports car manufacturer regardless of what either of their magazines say (meaning wheels or motor) eg. The Corsa C SRi really flies for what it is. It OWNED that section of market for a long time, and its still viewed as nothing but a girls buzzbox, but then thats their fault anyway. (Anyone remember BarinaGirl? she was a HOTTIE!!).

Unless they buy another marque and release under their name it'll probably not sell well here anyway.

blueraven
26th January 2007, 11:56 PM
i'd buy one in a heartbeat...

cyclonic
27th January 2007, 02:57 AM
Here's me with the Pontiac Solstice (the Opel GT is rebadged/modified version of it) when I was in Canada (Vancouver) recently.

http://a155.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_4ba83d48be2b7450a53e23accad96c22.jpg

All I can say is that its pure horn! There's a 6 month waiting list for these in Canada - and any that make it to the lot sell right away. The GXP version is very hard to obtain there unless you want to wait MORE than six months.

I was actually very impressed with the quality of the vehicle - nicely built, good panel gaps, and generally well screwed together. The owner of the car was delighted with it and has had no problems - he had switched from a Mazda MX-5!

Other useless tidbits:

*The chassis rails are wide enough to fit the LS2 V8 without any problem, and it mounts perfectly.
*Hot Rod Magazine USA converted one to the LS2 V8 with the help of GM Performance - see http://www.hotrodmagazine.com for more. Its an absolute beast!
*The Solstice is reviewed in the latest Best Motoring International DVD with Keiichi Tsuchiya rating the car better than the latest Mazda MX-5 (Miata). I'll try and upload a clip if I can get time with English subtitles.

I also have more pics if anyone is keen.

cyclonic
28th January 2007, 12:26 AM
Now I think about, it'd be great to have that car, just for a day like today in Perth...