PDA

View Full Version : New Astra TwinTop

nicecar
24th January 2007, 11:54 PM
Anyone seen one of these around Perth or other states?

I would not mine taking one for a spin to compare but havn't seen any in passing.

Anyone know when there will be here if not already?

MatsHolden
25th January 2007, 12:00 AM
Yeh they're already out and about mate. I saw them first on the road back in early december before they were released, came accross a Holden testing convoy at Lang Lang. And last week saw a black one parked out in the car park at work with the top down... looked great.

EL BURITO
25th January 2007, 12:24 AM
asper normal thou we dont see to much over this side but u are in a good position mate u are near to 3 big dealers that are most likly to get one in stock

Wraith
25th January 2007, 08:12 AM
Yes, there have been a few other threads recently on the twin top :)

I've seen 1 on the road and 3 in dealerships.

Beautiful car, with very nice proportions.

It's got a much bigger boot than our TS verts (if that's important to you ie) and of course the security and true coupe look of the hard top for the around same price as the TS, it's got to be a winner :)

Only time will tell how well it sells, as unlike the TS model, there is now lots of competition in this category....

I hope they bring down as many models and options as possible, hopefully the turbo diesel will make it down here, I reckon this will be one of the best options for this car to compensate for the high weight, as the huge torque is exactly what it needs to pull it along nicely :)

My missus is still deciding whether or not to get one, only last week she found out her next company car may be a Beemer, so probably won't bother with the twin top :rolleyes:

Red AH SRI T
25th January 2007, 09:48 AM
*wishes people would use the seach function*

The new AH TwinTop is a great looking car, very nice to drive too. Have a look around Holden dealers, you're bound to find one!

Already have people asking for it in Turbo!!!

Wraith
25th January 2007, 11:16 AM
Already have people asking for it in Turbo!!!

That's the one I'd want...:)

I hung out and waited aaaages (18 months) for them to bring out the TS turbo vert and then BAM snapped one up straight away :D

Damn shame we'll never see it in VXR trim, that would look very nice ;)

Can always be done though.....mmmmm one ponders and thinks away :rolleyes:

imay
25th January 2007, 11:39 AM
Holden dealer here in Adelaide has been hounding me for the past couple of weeks to come and have a decent look . . . so I'm now waiting for him to ring me back with a time for this coming Monday (RDO) to take one for a drive.
If it happens, I'll post a report asap afterwards.
I've had a look at one in the metal . . . I'm still not convinced. I've read the brochure (Holden and Vauxhall) and I'm still not convinced. I've cross-checked the technical specs against those of the TS and . . . you guessed it, I'm still not convinced. They carry an extra 200+ kg and only pack an extra 2kW. Dunno. Same list price (aroundabout) at the TS, but who paid list price? I got my brand newy 14 months ago drive away for around $10k less than the list price at that time.
It would have to be good to make me change over.

Wraith
25th January 2007, 12:27 PM
I fully understand you last point Ian, the TS convertible is definitely a hard act to follow........I'll never sell mine, regardless if I acquire a VXR or 2 door VE or if the missus gets a twin top or whatever else happens in the future ;)

Are you sure about the weight, I'll have to check, but the TS vert weighs in at around 1415kg from the top of my memory, that would make a twin top well over 1600kg :eek: surely that can't be accurate :confused:

imay
25th January 2007, 12:36 PM
TwinTop weight:
Manual 1590 kg; Automatic 1620 kg.
Ouch!

Boot space:
Roof open 205 litres, roof closed 440 litres; TS regardless of open or closed, 330 litres.

Wraith
25th January 2007, 12:36 PM
Check out this Vauxhall brochure - wasn't able to find the weight specs, but damn the car looks so good.

Aesthetically I dare say you will 'finally' be convinced Ian :D

http://www.who-sells-it.com/images/catalogs/1375/pdf_5197.pdf

Wraith
25th January 2007, 12:39 PM
TwinTop weight:
Manual 1590 kg; Automatic 1620 kg.
Ouch!

Boot space:
Roof open 205 litres, roof closed 440 litres; TS regardless of open or closed, 330 litres.

Well there you go, freakin hell, it almost weighs as much as a Commodore or Falcon :eek:

Definitely get the turbo diesel and re-map it with the 150kw / 420nm tune and it should get up and boogie just fine :)

And yes as those specs show it does have a much bigger boot, I've cheked it out in the flesh, it's very well sized - not that this matters at all in my case :)

imay
25th January 2007, 01:02 PM
it does have a much bigger boot, I've cheked it out in the flesh, it's very well sized

Yeah, but only when the roof is UP, which sort of defeats the purpose if you have a convertible!
It may not a big selling point having a boot in a convertible, but it's still handy having one. Have you seen the rigmarole you have to go through to put anything in the boot when the roof is open on the TwinTop? Open the boot lid, push this button and wait for the roof to partially lift up out of the way, then install your goods, then push that button again and wait for the roof to return to its hideaway position, then close the boot lid.
Not quite a case of open the boot and "chuck it in."

Call me critical, and maybe I'm looking for reasons NOT to like it, but there appears to be enough crosses on my list to just about justify that already.

I gotta find reasons not to like it, so that I won't want one!

kabel
25th January 2007, 01:21 PM
North CIty Holden in Osborne Park has one out front I have walked
past it during my lunch break for the past few weeks now,very nice
They also have a red Astra SRi T in the showroom

Wraith
25th January 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but only when the roof is UP, which sort of defeats the purpose if you have a convertible!
It may not a big selling point having a boot in a convertible, but it's still handy having one. Have you seen the rigmarole you have to go through to put anything in the boot when the roof is open on the TwinTop? Open the boot lid, push this button and wait for the roof to partially lift up out of the way, then install your goods, then push that button again and wait for the roof to return to its hideaway position, then close the boot lid.
Not quite a case of open the boot and "chuck it in."

Call me critical, and maybe I'm looking for reasons NOT to like it, but there appears to be enough crosses on my list to just about justify that already.

I gotta find reasons not to like it, so that I won't want one!

hehehe, :D yes that might be the real reason, it's the same way that I've being critcising the VXR, I do want one, but believe it's been priced ridiculously considering what you get, especially when compared to the price and what you get with the basic Sri t.

Still the twin top at least is priced very well, comparatively speaking, taking into account the previous model and it's direct competition.

Wish the case were the same for the VXR.

nicecar
26th January 2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the info

North CIty Holden in Osborne Park has one out front I have walked
past it during my lunch break for the past few weeks now,very nice
They also have a red Astra SRi T in the showroom

Thanks I will try there at the weekend.

Yes I understand your comments about the weight, that extra weight and the same power from the engine will make it noticable slower than the TS and take out a bit of the fun.... Thats what I want to find out.. Sure it will be a long weight for the turbo

This link is good:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1t7iOFQ9ys

Wraith
27th January 2007, 05:15 PM
Wow, that's a great video/info link there Nicecar - excellent find.....:)

I'll bet if Ian (Imay) views that, he'll finally be convinced :dance:

I'm absolutely wrapped at the fact that you can actually lower and raise the top whilst driving the car and you can do it at up to 130km/h :eek:

When I checked one of these out over the break, the people at that dealership weren't even aware of this feature......

You have to pull over to a dead stop and engage the handbrake to do the same in the TS and other convertibles, says alot about the cars overall engineering integrity, I'll bet Ian will love that !!! I know I do :)

Regarding the power/weight ratio debacle, looks like I was correct in suggesting the turbo diesel would be the best choice ;)

Although they did mention that the turbo petrol engine gives performance comparable to a Golf Gti.......not bad at all :)

Thankgoodness we won't get the very underpowered 1.6 ltr, I wonder why Opel even bothered to put that engine in this car :rolleyes:

I'll have to re-start pushing the missus' decision into getting one of these afterall :D

nicecar
28th January 2007, 01:05 AM
I'm absolutely wrapped at the fact that you can actually lower and raise the top whilst driving the car and you can do it at up to 130km/h :eek:

I had to play that back a few times as well as not that clear but it is 18mph.(29kph)

"And the system even works on the move
at low speeds – up to 18mph to be precise." - Page 11

http://www.produkte24.com/images/catalogs/1375/pdf_5197.pdf

But there again, that is cool, if you start to lower the roof and the traffic lights change, you can slowly drive along while finishing the last 20%. :)

pred8r
28th January 2007, 10:19 AM
Still the twin top at least is priced very well, comparatively speaking, taking into account the previous model and it's direct competition.

Wish the case were the same for the VXR.

Yes, but you are buying a HSV not just an uprated holden astra, and that HSV badge has to be paid for :rolleyes:

imay
28th January 2007, 10:37 AM
and that HSV badge has to be paid for

Agreed, but from what I have seen, the only HSV badging on the VXR is the "stick-on" variety. Where they would have had to go to a little effort (expense) e.g. the steering wheel Opel flash, that has been left.
C'mon guys, bet there's no Holden lion badges left on a HSV Senator, R8, etc.
I would have thought a little more effort on their part to make it a "HSV exclusive" would have been a better introduction into a new model line for them. It's these LITTLE things that justify the price hike and make your HSV VXR just that much more of an exclusive unit.

This would be like Audi leaving the VW badge on their 2.0 FSI motor that they share. Bet it doesn't happen!

And, yes Wraith I have seen the video. Still doesn't really ring my bells like the TS did way back when it was first released. Never really had a fascination for convertibles until I first saw them in a Holden showroom back in '02. Wanted one ever since, and finally got one!
As far as the roof raising/lowering, I have found that the first click on the handbrake is all that is required to allow the roof to operate, so my roof is on it's way down when leaving the driveway. Obviously sense and reason, and because of the wind resistance, it's not a good idea to be travelling at any significant speed while opening/closing the roof, but it can be done with a little bit of care. I'm more concerned with operating the roof in really windy conditions!

Anyway, I'm taking a TwinTop out for a test tomorrow (rain forecast) or Tuesday. I'll report back when I have given it a thorough workout.

pred8r
28th January 2007, 11:20 AM
Agreed, but from what I have seen, the only HSV badging on the VXR is the "stick-on" variety. Where they would have had to go to a little effort (expense) e.g. the steering wheel Opel flash, that has been left.

Exactly my point, a premium price for an 'off the shelf' unit with no or little input from HSV except for their badge location.

But then I get the feeling and reaction from ALL GM service depts, when it comes to anything other than a Commonwhore, that they wish it wasnt theirs to deal with, as they for the most part, have NFI.

The Opel products must be too techanogical..........

Wonder how many people know it stands for VauXhall Racing......

nicecar
28th January 2007, 02:19 PM
Another review video:-

http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-video.aspx?RT=786&P=WM&SP=FAST

Wraith
29th January 2007, 12:06 PM
I had to play that back a few times as well as not that clear but it is 18mph.(29kph)

"And the system even works on the move
at low speeds – up to 18mph to be precise." - Page 11

http://www.produkte24.com/images/catalogs/1375/pdf_5197.pdf

But there again, that is cool, if you start to lower the roof and the traffic lights change, you can slowly drive along while finishing the last 20%. :)

Ok so it's 18 and not 80mph LOL :D

I too viewed it many times over to get that part straight, I could still swear he says 80 not 18 though :rolleyes:

Either way, a damned good feature to not have to pull over to deploy/retract the roof :)

I totally agree with Imay on his comments regarding the VXR, it's is one part/area of that car which has really dissapointed me, there's no justification to ask that price on that car and not follow obvious things through such as proper badging to properly complete and identify the car.....:mad:

If I got one, one of the first 'to do list' would be to rectify this identity prob.

I also ponder the question, what would other car makers/enthusiasts think if their cars were badged with 3 different makes/origins.

Absolutely piss poor effort HSV.........

Obviously only really concerned with the mainstream V8 models - not that there's anything wrong with that - they're my favourite too :)

Tigra
29th January 2007, 12:16 PM
Was in my local Holden dealer on Saturday when I was getting a service done on the Tigra, and they had the new Astra in the showroom. Looks very nice. Not to keen on the rear seats though, they dont look very comfy, but how often would you drive with someone in the back?

EL BURITO
29th January 2007, 01:22 PM
Not to keen on the rear seats though, they dont look very comfy, but how often would you drive with someone in the back?
In my case twice a month if that I think i could cope seeing as i have never riden in the back of my own car

nicecar
4th March 2007, 01:05 AM
Well finally got to drive the Twintop today.

The extra weight really has made the performance suffer. When I drove my old TS convertible after, it felt like a race car!!

Will have to be the turbo Twintop or the VW Eos. I will get a phone call on Wednesday with hopefully details of when the turbo will be in Oz. Hopefully the Turbo will have 18s. Would be good with pronounced side skirts (like the TS currently has).

Will wait and see.

Wraith
5th March 2007, 04:18 PM
definitely go turbo diesel or turbo petrol with the twin top :)

Eos is fantastic, well worth the price tag - checked them out thouroughly at the Melb. motor show, booked in for a test drive later this month - the missus loves it.

VW got one thing right with these - only turbo diesel or turbo petrol engine options - no underpowered atmo ;)

There's a chip available to boost the petrol turbo engine to 190kw and 410nm with the manual and 170kw and 350nm with the DSG...

I'll take the $2,600 cheaper manual, spend the $1,500 on the chip and go from there - just have to convince the missus to go manual, not auto :)

imay
6th March 2007, 07:25 AM
Eos is fantastic, well worth the price tag - checked them out thouroughly at the Melb. motor show, booked in for a test drive later this month - the missus loves it.

Knew you'd love it Wraith. Yeah, and good value from what I have seen so far. Looks very nice from what I have seen. Adelaide Motor Show here March 28, but hope to hook a decent drive of the Eos before that!

Taking a TwinTop out again next Tuesday (GMH $50 offer) and hope to be able to give it a decent going over. Wife still likes the TwinTop . . . oh no!

Wraith
6th March 2007, 02:38 PM
That's a fair enough liking too, value wise, the twin top is around 15-20k cheaper than the Eos ;) the turbo twin top should still be at least 10k cheaper.

It's only if you want the more prestige feel of the Eos, a little better build quality and that very desirable 2 in one feature hard top vert roof it has, ie: finished in a dark tinted glass panoramic roof with a built in large area glass sunroof as well as being a folding hard top convertible - it's like 3 features in one and the black glass finish looks great against any duco colour you choose :)

I also love the very cool LED tail light clusters :) and nice mirror mounted LED side repeaters.

I'd also say the Eos will also be less common, so more exclusive too :)

nicecar
6th March 2007, 09:29 PM
I also love the very cool LED tail light clusters :)

As shown well in this photo:-
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Volkswagen-Eos-RA-1280x960.jpg

jimeegee
6th March 2007, 11:23 PM
The EOS is gorgeous, the Astra will certainly lose some sales, especially with the worst TV ad I have ever seen....still I've loved convertibles with hard tops since first seeing the Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG....mmmmm....

Wraith
7th March 2007, 12:24 PM
Yep, that's the ones, great shot there nicecar :)

The red park lights 'double up' as the turn signal lights and change colour to yellow/amber when indicating to turn - very cool and very eye catching the first time you see it in action :)

I believe Passat's are the same.

Merc AMG SLK 55 is an awesome V8 machine, with just as awesome a price tag - over 160k :eek: still if you could afford it, why not ;)