PDA

View Full Version : What would you expect to pay for this?

blueraven
24th January 2007, 08:16 PM
ok, having just picked myself up off the floor from hearing what my bill will be for the work i am having done (about double what i thought it would be), How much would people expect to pay for the following?

Remove and refit clutch.
Remove and refit Diff.
Remove and refit Injectors/rail.
Remove and refit Rod bolts.
Dyno tune - 3hrs.

please vote in the poll :)

i supplied the diff, clutch, injectors and rail, but they did have get some diff bearings and ancilliaries ( i supplied fresh oil for the sump.) These guys are known for doing great work, but i had hoped it would have been cheaper :(

vectraguy01
24th January 2007, 08:59 PM
i reckon it would btw 2k and over, as with alot of the opel range using torx bolts, normaly if they cant get them out as they bure the edges, they have to drill them out, so labour would be the killer there i reckon, thats why my mechanic, doesnt want to do my clutch as it will be a huge bill, from wat he says to me.

SKM_87
24th January 2007, 09:46 PM
alot of that work takes lots of labour. and like above all the torx bits are annoying although if where your getting the work done does opels regularly i would expect them to have the torx socket and stuff. i rekon 2g mark is a reasonable price.

oneightoo
24th January 2007, 09:58 PM
yeah i reckon about $3k..

so come on, how much?

blueraven
24th January 2007, 10:28 PM
would like to see poll go a little further before i face the reality of this bill :D

platypus
24th January 2007, 11:18 PM
torx sockets cost about $30 each - fairly cheap really all you have to do is go to a real tool shop, ie toolies or even metaland

xplosv57
24th January 2007, 11:58 PM
I assume youre getting the Quaife LSD fitted, that in itself is a big task, then the clutch too, basically the whole front end has to come out to get to the gearbox!! Labour costs are gonna be high, thats why i put in my gearbox myself (with help from a friend), saved me the $$$ of labour!!!

So yeah how much you paying??

blueraven
25th January 2007, 12:28 AM
you dont have to remove that much, i have seen my car on the hoist with then engine still in place, but the gearbox on the bench beside it :).

platypus
25th January 2007, 08:35 AM
xplosv - just remove the gearbox from underneath... no worries, remove the drive shafts, then undo from engine, then undo from mounts... few small taps and it slides sideways

Mr T
25th January 2007, 08:53 AM
If its just the labour, then about 12-15 Hours total at a maximum of $100 per hour plus a little extra for the Dyno.

$1500 would be reasonable in my view.

Wraith
25th January 2007, 09:29 AM
This is an open question and hard to answer, beacause it really does depend on the grease monkey and garage in question who performed the work, as to how much you'd get charged for it.

If it was done by people experienced with that kind of work on these cars (highly unlikely) it would be cheaper than if done by a first timer.

If it was done by a back yarder, with less overhead costs, than a high profile garage workshop then again the costs would vary considerably.

The question I have here is how much did the dyno tune set you back ?

Dyno tuning sessions can end up costing ridiculous amounts of money !!!

For all the mechanical work, I think an amount of $500-$1000 is plenty, although you probably got hit with $1500 for that part ;)

So I'm guessing $1500-$2000

blueraven
25th January 2007, 10:50 AM
$1500 for what part? a diff bearing?

i will get the price from holden myself and compare...

i had expected a bill between 1000 - 1500...
oh and this is a well known tuner for imports here in perth, but its definately the first time they have worked on an astra.

Dyno tunes cost $300 ($100 per hour)

Wraith
25th January 2007, 11:42 AM
$1500 for what part? a diff bearing?

i will get the price from holden myself and compare...

i had expected a bill between 1000 - 1500...
oh and this is a well known tuner for imports here in perth, but its definately the first time they have worked on an astra.

Dyno tunes cost $300 ($100 per hour)

No, I meant for the whole labour install part LOL :D not $1500 for an individual component...

I paid $1000 for a dyno run-in and tune session (Chev off road and Marinre Engines) back in 1989 for a V8 Chev race engine, (my 9sec XU-1), but it was on the dyno for a whole 2 days :)

CAL.16V
27th January 2007, 01:53 AM
dyno tuning of $500 max for 3 hours

diff+clutch same labour and would be $500 max in labour .. i got reciepts from holden for $900 labour for my cally turbo 4x4 clutch for $900 from previous owner and thats ALOT more involved..

rail and injectors take no longer then an hour start to finish .. very easy to do