PDA

View Full Version : RIP Vectra

cdxi
23rd January 2007, 10:35 AM
Towards the end of the week of 15 January 2007, the Vectra was quietly laid to rest and removed from the official Holden website as a new vehicle.

Launched in the third quarter of 1997, the JR Vectra continued as the latest in a long line of problem child mid-sizers for Holden. None of Holden’s medium sized product lines has ever achieved the sparkling success or even reputation of the Toranas of the early to mid 70’s. The last of the L and U series Toranas, the Sunbird, Camira, Apollo and lately the Vectra, have all been allowed to wallow in the market place without great support from Holden, who as a company, seemed to pour all its resources into the large and small car markets.

The Vectra was the product that could – and should – have seen Holden once again become a force in the medium field. At launch and right up until the release of the Mazda6 and Honda Accord Euro, the Vectra was the most convincing package of power, economy, ride, handling and style in the mid-size market and was widely commended by the motoring press.

Based on the European Vectra B, the JR was “Australianised” by local engineers, fully imported and was a far superior product to its Vauxhall and Opel cousins. By 1998, the JR had become the JS, gained a 2.2l engine, a wagon and all versions (with the exception of the V6 CD hatch) were built in Australia. The Australian Vectra was poised to take on South East Asia in an ambitious export plan until the Asian economies collapsed, leaving the Vectra all dressed up with nowhere to go.

In 1999, the JS received a minor facelift to become the JSII and again became a fully imported model. The wagon was dropped and by late 2000, the JSIII snuck in and reduced the model mix to just the 2.2 GL and CD sedans and the 2.6 V6 CD hatches.

Throughout its life to this point, the Vectra had gained the respect of the motoring industry and press, but was only ever a mediocre seller. The marketing behind the range was limited to say the least, and the Vectra B was left to promote itself.

The all-new Vectra C was introduced onto the European market in 2002. The sculpted panels and the tapered ends of the Vectra B made way for strong, angular and chunky lines, in a far bigger and safer package. And a more expensive one.

Upon its introduction to Australia in April 2003, the new ZC Vectra hit the market in three levels and two body styles – the 2.2l CD sedan and hatch, and the 3.2l V6 CDX and CDXi hatches. Suddenly, the “base” model CD sedan was some $5 000 more expensive than the JSIII CD V6, and nearly $10 000 more than the JSIII 2.2l GL. The new bigger, bolder, safer and better equipped Vectra was now vying for a different market, spanning a $35 000 to $50 000 range.

The marketing was woeful. A single TV commercial featuring a bunch of talking heads, waffling on about “a car whose wheels talk to each other” cut with a Vectra zipping across a barren landscape did nothing to position the car in a market nor did it create any desire for the product.

Holden now had a mid size vehicle more expensive than its family-sized Commodore, and no market in which to promote it. Largely ignoring its packaging, economy, safety and technology (how many of its 2003 4cyl cohort had optional 5-speed autos; 4 airbags, ABS, TC, EBA, and CBC as standard equipment?) Holden let the Vectra languish and wither on the vine.

All versions of the ZC were commended by the press for their refinement, strong drive trains and economy, but were generally criticised for “unresolved” damping and suspension tuning. The CDX seemed to be the model chosen by the local motor mags for comparison with other vehicles and was never placed on the winner’s podium. As a result, the rest of the Vectra range was largely ignored, with the CDXi never scoring a comparison with any other vehicle, not even the Audis and BMWs with which it was supposed to compete. Ironically, this was the ultimate Vectra, which by 2004 had gained ESP+ and curtain ‘bags as part of an equipment upgrade.

Despite price cuts of up to $10 000 by the last days of 2005, the Vectra didn’t even trickle out of new car showrooms. It dripped slowly off the forecourts like an annoying, leaking tap. In a deal to secure a better model mix for the new AH Astra, Holden was lumped with a number of 3.2l V6 CD sedans and hatches, shipped out to the colonies to make way for the significantly re-engineered and facelifted Vectra for the European market.

By 2006, it was clear that Australia had fallen out of love completely with the Vectra and that there was no way we would receive the new European model. The CDXi model was dropped, and by mid 2006, the 4cyl CD had also disappeared. Promotion of the Vectra was limited to “special deal” spots in newspapers and for a limited time buyers got free alloys, ABS and a Vectra with every new Holden Viva.

And so by January 2007, the Vectra story is officially over. By March, a whole new chapter begins with the launch of the Epica, the latest in a long line of mid-size Holdens. If Holden has learnt its lesson, it will have sharpened its marketing pencil and will promote this vehicle well. If history is any lesson, it will be a race to see who loses interest in the car first – the market, or Holden.

RIP, Vectra.

auzvectra
23rd January 2007, 11:43 AM
"In 1999, the JS received a minor facelift to become the JSII and again became a fully imported model. The wagon was dropped and by late 2000, the JSIII snuck in and reduced the model mix to just the 2.2 GL and CD sedans and the 2.6 V6 CD hatches. "

although i should add the veccy js3 did have the 2.6L in a sedan also, just 1 of the flaws in holden information, along with the fact that they are apparently all auto's :).

PaulyJ
23rd January 2007, 12:06 PM
Put a reference on where you got that from.

auzvectra
23rd January 2007, 12:25 PM
oh and the auto bit is on their system, mine was suposebly an auto as was vectraguy's.
but mine was actually classed as a fastback sedan instead of a hatch too, but thats opel info from the vin not holden.

Wraith
23rd January 2007, 12:46 PM
If that's all true, then it's a real shame and pity, following the same end/demise as the Calibra before it :rolleyes:

Must be a curse, I wonder if the next replacement (Epica) will suffer the same.....

stevedee3
23rd January 2007, 01:44 PM
...the CDXi... Ironically, this was the ultimate Vectra, which by 2004 had gained ESP+ and curtain ‘bags as part of an equipment upgrade.Actually, the CDXi had ESP+ from the beginning (2003).

GreyRex
23rd January 2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think there's any real need to nitpick, it's a pretty good article. I have given up on Holden and it's priority on cars other than the Conformadore. I understand we need the Conformadore, but there is no consistency with any other models (Astra an exception). I will not be buying anything new that has anything to do with Daewoo. Off to another brand we go...

auzvectra
23rd January 2007, 02:13 PM
yep, but remember u can only go better.
bring on the audi :D.

Wraith
23rd January 2007, 05:06 PM
The 'Conformadore' is the ONLY true Holden anyway ;)

It'll always be GMH's one and only.....don't think it's fair to bag em, as they keep getting better, the new VE is a very good vehicle in any comparison, especially when you factor in it's price !!!

I too don't like the idea of Holden bagded Daewoo's.......agree that I don't want anything to do with them either, unless it's something really special.

Audi's like the brilliant new RS4 yes please, but the price......160k + on roads - Audi Australia should be cursed, they sell for 50k in the U.K....even after conversion, it's still marked up to the buggery :mad:

oneightoo
23rd January 2007, 05:23 PM
specced up vectra = $42k+

more than the commo..

no wonder it didnt sell well..

pred8r
23rd January 2007, 05:31 PM
The 'Conformadore' is the ONLY true Holden anyway

I think i missed something.........wasnt it an Opel Omega?

EDIT: it was based on the Rekord E with a Senator front end.

Although THIS (http://www.bilhistorie.no/e70/lav322.jpg) looks a LOT like a VB Commy to me.

ope126
23rd January 2007, 05:55 PM
I used to own a brand new 03/2002 JSII Holden Vectra CD 2.6L V6 5spd manual Hatch...But to my knowledge it was still a JSII - not JSIII. ANd yes it was manual - not auto.
Very good story though...

We will have to keep the Vectra Spirit Alive!!! :D

stevedee3
23rd January 2007, 06:48 PM
The 'Conformadore' is the ONLY true Holden anyway ;)Would you include the Camaro? :)

Audi's like the brilliant new RS4 yes please, but the price......160k + on roads - Audi Australia should be cursed, they sell for 50k in the U.K....even after conversion, it's still marked up to the buggery :mad:I had to laugh when Jeremy Clarkson called it the "bargain of the century" last night... it's a pity it's not a bit cheaper here. :(

I think i missed something.........wasnt it an Opel Omega?AFAIK up until VZ Commodores were based on the Opel Omega. The VE's newly designed here by Holden.

auzvectra
23rd January 2007, 06:59 PM
well the vt was, holden changed it slightly since then.
also the commodore was wider then the omega.

bill142
23rd January 2007, 09:02 PM
I read and article when the Vectra C was released here it was priced to compete with the European brands on the basis it had more features for a price comparable to a 3 series for example. One with half a brain could tell that this approach was never going to work. If someone has the money to buy a BMW they are going to buy a BMW and can usually afford the to take half of BMWs endless list of options as well. Holden could have had a hot seller on their hands, but will now have to try their luck with the Epica against more established names such as Mazda6, Liberty, etc..

Bill_G
23rd January 2007, 10:29 PM
I used to own a brand new 03/2002 JSII Holden Vectra CD 2.6L V6 5spd manual Hatch...But to my knowledge it was still a JSII - not JSIII. ANd yes it was manual - not auto.You're quite right; the actual model designation was the JSIIM01, and some of them did indeed have the manual gearbox option.

Wraith
24th January 2007, 08:28 AM
I think i missed something.........wasnt it an Opel Omega?

EDIT: it was based on the Rekord E with a Senator front end.

Although THIS (http://www.bilhistorie.no/e70/lav322.jpg) looks a LOT like a VB Commy to me.

Yes as stevedee3 pointed out, I was referring to the latest VE Commodore ;)

It's all GMH......

As have been all the most recent models !!!

The first model/models may have been copied from Opels, but at least they were manufactured here, not fully imported, like almost the entire Holden line up, except for the Commo :)

RustyRustofson
24th January 2007, 10:45 AM
disappointing. The vectra was always the brilliant but neglected middle child.
my 2 cents

auzvectra
24th January 2007, 12:26 PM
yeah, i definately prefer the veccy over the others :(.

Oz
25th January 2007, 01:25 PM
I read and article when the Vectra C was released here it was priced to compete with the European brands on the basis it had more features for a price comparable to a 3 series for example. One with half a brain could tell that this approach was never going to work. If someone has the money to buy a BMW they are going to buy a BMW and can usually afford the to take half of BMWs endless list of options as well. Holden could have had a hot seller on their hands, but will now have to try their luck with the Epica against more established names such as Mazda6, Liberty, etc..

All true.

Holden in their usual 'no common sense' state of mind should have realised the Veccy C wasn't carrying a BMW badge on the grill in terms of $$ value. It should have been $3-5K cheaper from the start & had more standard or optional bits (read premium) available. The Vauxhall & Opel Vecs had tons of stuff standard in their top line Vecs (GSI & GTS) such as xenon, 6airbags, rain sensor wipers, auto rear veiw mirror all from the start. Holden didn't even give us the chance to option these too our Vec C's, until it was too late & they finally gave elec memory seats auto mirror & wipers on the CDXi, but took out the sports seats all while still marketing it as the premium sport sedan. Someone obviously had a lobotomy at Holden for this sort of stuff to happen.

This is where Holden made the mistake. Obviously they didn't want a car, especially a smaller one, that was more desirable & more importantly safer than the Calais or even a Statesmen/Caprice. Thing is, they marketed it against BMW 3ers etc thinking that people would be dumb enough to think that the Veccy wearing a Holden badge was just as desirable as a BMW 3. The media to supprt the Veccy C was sufferable.

What chance does the 2008/9 Vectra D have here.....not much. Holden will probably be still trying to flog the Epica, though there seems to be nothing Epic about it if you listen to international journo's.

Holden/we need another European running the show, if only, because they really know how good the product is, then we might get some class back into the holden lineup. At least we still have the Astra.

Tfer
25th January 2007, 03:12 PM
Well I have one of the first Veccy C's in Australia (build 12/02) and I love her to bits.... I would like to think that she will always be a part of my family :cool:

And I love the fact she still looks good, and has style and presence about her.... and the equipment levels.... brilliant :dance:

And as for the South Korean replacement..... not on yer nelly!

Yep.... I am biased... but why not? ;)