PDA

View Full Version : New Astra

sxi01
10th January 2004, 05:22 PM
Anyone have any idea if Australia will get the new Astra and when

SmellyTofu
10th January 2004, 06:33 PM
I think mid 05. Don't hold your breath..

01CDsedan
10th January 2004, 06:36 PM
I'd expect to see it at the Sydney Motor Show this year, as a 3 door and 5 door (sadly, no sedan this time around, or so I read - which means no new Astra for me unless I decide 'to hell with it' and get a new Turbo.)

Hardware BoB
10th January 2004, 06:54 PM
get the turbo ;)
trust me - it's worth it :)

01CDsedan
10th January 2004, 09:38 PM
I dunno, it sounds like a great idea but I think my next 'big money' purchase will be something to live in. I'm also not that impressed by the styling of the next Astra, at least not the 5 door - the 3 door is better but I don't like the way Opel front-end styling has been going...so I dunno.

I think also the next time I buy a car it will be something bigger, I need a little more room to stretch out in (I drive from Canberra to Sydney most weekends so it's a real issue). Plus I'm dead keen on having some V8 burble in my life :)

Anonymous
12th January 2004, 12:12 AM
I dunno, it sounds like a great idea but I think my next 'big money' purchase will be something to live inYou could always live in the car :lol:

I'm also not that impressed by the styling of the next Astra, at least not the 5 door - the 3 door is better but I don't like the way Opel front-end styling has been going...so I dunnoHmmm, i don't mind the new Astra H myself. I didn't like it initially, but after looking at it for a while, it does grow on you. I agree that the 3 door does look better though...

In a way I'm glad we (as in Aus) will have to wait a little longer to get the new Astra...cause it means that this is the longest I've ever had a current model car :P
It's actually pretty amazing that the Astra G's styling has held up so long...considering that by 2005 (when the new model comes in) the Astra G would have been running for around 7 years in Australia.

rjastra
13th January 2004, 03:20 PM
I think mid 05. Don't hold your breath..

Think it is MUCH closer than that. Try 3rd qtr this year if not sooner.

Anonymous
13th January 2004, 04:11 PM
A friend of mine is a mechanical engineer, and he told me that the next Astra coupe that is currently in prototype stage looks absolutely unreal! Hopefully i'll try and get some scoop pics.

GOZOFF
24th February 2004, 08:46 PM
Anyone have any idea if Australia will get the new Astra and when

Roumers having being flying around the web that it will be out sometime bettween april and september. Being that its coming out in the UK in april their, I doubt it will be avalible at the same time here,that being said it will be out this year 04' in 5 door hatch form anyway.

imay
24th February 2004, 08:57 PM
To all you guys in Sydney and Melbourne, please keep us informed about what's at your motor shows.
I'm sure the Syd and Melb shows are before Adelaide's. It would be great to hear from some of you whether there's anything NEW to see before I hand over the 20 bucks they'll want at the gate here to walk through a shed full of cars I can see for free on my days off at the dealers' showrooms.

GOZOFF
26th February 2004, 02:47 PM
Next motorshow for Sydney isn't till October
http://www.animations-galore.com/Images/Transportation/fastcar.gif

imay
28th February 2004, 01:37 PM
And yet another road test in the H. This one from Channel4 in UK. Good site for Euro car reports if you are interested.
http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&page=1&reviewid=848

astra_city
28th February 2004, 03:06 PM
yeah the new Astra looks like it will be a good car. Pity about the extra weight and no more power though - a German magazine published acceleration figues (probably from Opel) and the 1.8 manual does 10.8 0-100km/h. It'll probably put buyers off, as other new model cars like the Mazda 3 have increased the power to compensate for the weight.

Degen-Astra
28th February 2004, 03:19 PM
Just looking at the Opel site...(Phwooaarr!)

The 1.8 listed is apparently only a 92kW motor...

frankie9fingers
28th February 2004, 03:48 PM
but origionally the 1.8 only had 85kW. the Barina SRi has 92kW so they have tuned up the motor...but not by much.

Degen-Astra
28th February 2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah...the 98 till 2000 (Oct i think) astra builds were 85kW motors - then subsequent ones came up to 90kW motors. In the Astra that is...