PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Australia's Astra G Coupe?

Poogene2001
18th January 2007, 11:44 PM
Anyone (perhaps a holden employee) able to explain why we missed out on the attractive Astra G Coupe? I thought maybe they didnt want it competing with some other sporty compact car in the range at the time... but nothing springs to mind. I dont think it would have stolen too many Monaro sales.
It just so much more convincing as a "sporty" car than the 3 door sri/sriT.
Surely its time someone flew to the UK and came back with one for us to call our own... ie http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-COUPE-TURBO-BLUE_W0QQitemZ120076531533QQihZ002QQcategoryZ9858Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any ideas??

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 12:55 AM
i just think it was probly a numbers thing we dont get all the models available in europe now, y add another body shape when there is already a simerla product in the range

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 01:07 AM
i would have preferred the coupe to the sri 2.2..

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 02:14 AM
the hatch probs won cos of the practicality

auzvectra
19th January 2007, 07:39 AM
also the coupe didnt get the opc front bar as the sri-t hatch did.
that would most likely been a deciding factor.

MK
19th January 2007, 08:52 AM
definiately something to do with accounting at Holden - most likely compared sales from Lancer coupe and other makes and Holden decided it just wasn't worth it...from what i can remember at that point hatchbacks were the "go" and everyone wanted one for their practicality.

you can still import one from NZ...

i have started a topic on this subject a while ago. i cant find the link to the thread but its definiately here somewhere :)

Wraith
19th January 2007, 08:57 AM
This is a question that's been asked many times before and I don't think anyone knows the answer, you'd have to get that from a GM higher up who was in charge at the time.

Obviously they made the decision that the G hatch was enough for us.

I believe they would've sold far more coupes than hatches had it been available - it kills the hatch in looks, IMO this is because it features alot of the Calibras styling.

The new AH hatches also benifit alot in looks from the old Calibras styling, the top half proportioning and shape is almost the same.

Had they have brought in the G coupe turbo, I would have purchased one without a doubt to replace my Calibra.

It is after all a synergistic marriage of the Calibra and Astra G :)

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 09:43 AM
definiately something to do with accounting at Holden - most likely compared sales from Lancer coupe and other makes and Holden decided it just wasn't worth it...from what i can remember at that point hatchbacks were the "go" and everyone wanted one for their practicality.

you can still import one from NZ...

i have started a topic on this subject a while ago. i cant find the link to the thread but its definiately here somewhere :)

i had no idea you could import one from NZ.. if you or anybody has any info on how to do this could you please PM me..

ta

MK
19th January 2007, 09:50 AM
a reputable importer will most likely be able to help, i searched on NZ carsales websites and found quite few...they even have the Signum!!!

there is one coupes here, look through the list, its the black one:

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars/search.aspx?N=279%204294966051

from here i am sure you can find links to other sellers and auctions :)

MK
19th January 2007, 09:53 AM
i also forgot to mention that NZ also have the Astra G stationwagon :)

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Marcin, i will be looking into this!!!

:D :D :D

imay
19th January 2007, 09:57 AM
Opel/Bertone simply could not supply the numbers necessary to satisfy another market. Remember, the Coupe and Convertible were assembled (in limited numbers) in Italy by Bertone.
I remember reading an article (can't remember where/when) but we got the Convertible and South Africa got the Coupe. I guess that's fair in the end. Production has obviously improved/increased to allow a larger number of examples of both styles available for export markets. South Africa still don't get the convertible, but that could also be a security/safety thing, dunno!

MK
19th January 2007, 09:59 AM
i have been tempted many times to import one Astra G coupe for myself, i just dont know how to get started and am put off a bit about the whole beurocracy, registration, insurance and so on...

all the Opels in NZ are from Japan (however i heard there are few examples from UK and Ireland) so there shouldn't be much to get them registered here in AUS

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 10:01 AM
they have 2 coupes, both are auto :(

Greggy
19th January 2007, 10:42 AM
...they even have the Signum!!!

Signums ROCK !

I never understood em to begin with - I thought it was just a Vectra C estate - but seeing more and more and driving a couple they are really nice motors - All specs too from 2.2 'Direct' to the CDTi 150's and all the way up to the 3.2 v6 Design / Elite models....

Wraith
19th January 2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Marcin, i will be looking into this!!!

:D :D :D

I think I understand your interest here in the G coupe oneightoo - it's the strong Cali resemblence isn't it ? :)

That's the reason I've always wanted one, that and the obvious fact I also love the 2 door long body layout (convertible) of the G series :)

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 01:16 PM
exactly wraith.. to me it looks like what the calibra would look like had it not been discontinued.. it's what it would have evolved too..

lol would i badge it with calibra badges??

Wraith
19th January 2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, would have to agree.....

Cali badges on one, probably not a good idea, although I'll bet you'd confuse so many people, even unweary/unknowledgable Holden sales people hahahaha :D

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 01:22 PM
haha it probably would confuse a few people.. i wouldnt do it tho..

i will definatley be making some enquiries about importing one..

Wraith
19th January 2007, 02:02 PM
Great stuff, I'll be interested to know how you go.....:)

Hope you do get one - should be the only example in Oz.

IMO when it comes to cars, being unique is a beautiful thing.

MK
27th January 2007, 11:23 AM
couple of days ago i contacted one of the dealerships in Sydney (they import their own cars from japan)... i inquired about importing either the Astra G coupe or Sygnum, they advised me it was very difficult to import "this type" of car make...he couldn't explain why :(

Tfer
27th January 2007, 12:17 PM
couple of days ago i contacted one of the dealerships in Sydney (they import their own cars from japan)... i inquired about importing either the Astra G coupe or Sygnum, they advised me it was very difficult to import "this type" of car make...he couldn't explain why :(

Probably they have no contacts or connections in that neck of the woods :confused:

Are the Signum.... now that could be a worthy successor to the Veccy C.... or perhaps the new Veccy C OPC :D

MK
27th January 2007, 01:58 PM
the signum is like a hatchback for Vectra C...its a great looking car, i actually liked it so much that when i went to Poland recently i have hired one for couple of days ;)

they are in a class of their own...they remind me of Audi's stationwagons...

i am really serious about finding out how to import one (or Astra G coupe) either from NZ or Japan...

MK
27th January 2007, 02:14 PM
2007 Signum (most likely available in europe only)

http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/signum/gallery/photo/content.act?pic=1

2006 Signum (some can still be purchased in japan and nz)

http://www.autogaleria.mojeauto.pl/index.php?_s=0&ord=&up=&akcja=&galeria_id=270&zdjecie_id=&=

blueraven
27th January 2007, 04:09 PM
another reason would due to the poor sales of the calibra.

Since its pretty obvious that it was the calibra replacement (pleeeaaase..its basically a calibra with an astra front end...in fact i think you can transploant like they do with 200sx's..) holden wouldnt take the risk to bring in another car that would have to compete with the japanese 2.0l sports car market.

Wraith
27th January 2007, 05:14 PM
another reason would due to the poor sales of the calibra.

Since its pretty obvious that it was the calibra replacement (pleeeaaase..its basically a calibra with an astra front end...in fact i think you can transploant like they do with 200sx's..) holden wouldnt take the risk to bring in another car that would have to compete with the japanese 2.0l sports car market.

Good point and makes sense BR, since the Calibra was a failure for GMH - they're to blame though, with their ridiculously high pricing across the entire range and lack of service/repair knowledge and not wanting to help when things did go wrong......

As for the Astra Coupe, I'd describe it more as an Astra G convertible body - the entire lower 2/3rds and the Calibra top silhouette - that's why I always wanted one, my 2 favourite Opels 'merged' together :)

I hope someone here (preferably from Melb.) gets one, that way I can finally check out one of these beauties in the flesh :drool:

blueraven
27th January 2007, 06:59 PM
i looked into it when i had my calibra.and struck out completely, but i didnt know that they were in New zealand.

But then it would be an expensive task regardless, and you could probably get a better car for the money.

drewm
27th January 2007, 10:50 PM
before you get too excited about owning one of these, read up on car importing. you could bring one in from NZ, Europe, Japan, etc but it could only ever be registered as a race/rally car and not driven on the road. If someone has personally imported one then it can be complied and registered. Last I checked you had to own a car in your name overseas for min. 12 months before it qualified as a personal import. This changed up from 6 months in around 1998/9. There is a lot of info available, do a google search and find the government websites.

Cheers

Wraith
27th January 2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks Drewm, but yeh, most of us are aware of all the importing hassles.

There are a few other guys on the forum doing it or thinking of doing it and they've being giving us the 'low down' of it all :)

Speaking for myself, it's just a pipe dream, I already have a Calibra and an Astra Convertible so I'm happy :D

However had they been brought in by GMH, no doubt one would be in my garage right now :)

auzvectra
29th January 2007, 08:11 AM
my gf has relative's in nz, and i know the car carrier's :), i'm 1/2 way there.
would make a great base for a astra xtreme style body kit :).

Apex
29th January 2007, 09:20 AM
There isn’t that many Coups or Sgnums over here, I don’t think Opel brand is a strong seller in Japan, considering the amount of kick ass JDM models available for cheaper anyway.

In theory you could fly over here get a NZ drivers license (not hard at all) for I.D purposes., register a Coupe in your name get some one to look after it for six months and then export it to OZ. If it works I think you can export up to five cars a year, you could make enough money to pay for the vert on reselling the other four cars:p .

Keep in mind Japan never got the Turbo Coupe only the 2.2.Why not just get a hard lid and put it on a Astra vert turbo?

auzvectra
29th January 2007, 01:56 PM
Why not just get a hard lid and put it on a Astra vert turbo?[/FONT][/SIZE]

apart from the size of the modifacation, that's a bloody good idea :).
would give you the 4 windows still too, i like the idea, but i doubt it would be feasable.
would be a very stiff car but, with the extra stiffening in the vert due to lack of roof, then the roof back on. :D.

pred8r
29th January 2007, 06:52 PM
since the Calibra was a failure for GMH - they're to blame though, with their ridiculously high pricing across the entire range and lack of service/repair knowledge and not wanting to help when things did go wrong......

One thing I do remember was the calibra, in comparison to what else was around at the time, had an offset that nothing else did and the there was only the one brand of tyre that came in that size. Also at the time people didnt know how to, or couldnt, wheel align them properly, which meant they were stuck with the OEM size and they cost mega bucks.