PDA

View Full Version : 16's or 17's?

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 11:36 AM
Does anyone think 17's are too big for a 1.4L? ie. will they make the car feel more sluggish? Reason I ask is that I just can't find what i'm after in 16x7, but 17x7 is a whole new world.

Cheers
Mat

Wraith
18th January 2007, 11:46 AM
Mat, go for the 17's.

They are what your happy with aesthetically.

If there is a performance loss, I'm sure it won't be that much, it's not like we're talking about a sports car to begin with.

You may even get improved long distance economy with the bigger O/A dia. as I'm getting with my 20's compared to the original 17's or even when fitted with 18's.

Improving the cars looks 2 or 3 fold far surpasses a slight loss in performance.

Just do it :)

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 12:05 PM
If there is a performance loss, I'm sure it won't be that much, it's not like we're talking about a sports car to begin with.

That's the point though, i'm not willing to lose any performance that I do have. lol Also the overall diameter will be no different to the 15" I have on now...

Laurie... how do you find your 17's on your 1.4L?

Cheers for the feedback. :)

xplosv57
18th January 2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah id also go 17s, would make the car look alot better, 16s are too small these days and 17s can be picked up cheap also!!! 17s much more appealing!!! Also factory rims are pretty heavy, some aftermarket rims are actually lighter than factory items so you may not have a difference at all!!

Dee
18th January 2007, 12:08 PM
i had 17x7 on mine. didnt notice any difference except that the tyres were noisier because they were a crap brand.

if you get wheels that are lighter it shouldnt make a difference should it...?

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 12:09 PM
15's FTW!!!

Please tell me your not going for a set of chromies?

Lighter tyres make the car lighter and remove weight from the rotating mass of the engine. It won't be a noticable gain but it does help if they're lighter.

Dee
18th January 2007, 12:10 PM
15's FTW!!!

and what does it matter to you if he does.. it's his car... let him put the wheels he wants on it :rolleyes: :D

Wraith
18th January 2007, 12:42 PM
That's the point though, i'm not willing to lose any performance that I do have. lol Also the overall diameter will be no different to the 15" I have on now...

Laurie... how do you find your 17's on your 1.4L?

Cheers for the feedback. :)

Mat, if there's no difference in diameter and the new 17's weigh the same or less, you won't have a power/performance loss issue !!! :)

Just select a light weight set style that you like and JUST DO IT :D

CJB
18th January 2007, 12:45 PM
I'd say go for 17"s

they look heaps better

*thinks back to my Barina with 15"s then 17"s - so much nicer looking*

And, I didn't notice much power loss from the 17"s.

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 12:56 PM
and what does it matter to you if he does.. it's his car... let him put the wheels he wants on it :rolleyes: :D

Yeah i know. Just sayin what i think.

Don't get your nickers in a twist. :P

InsaneAsylum
18th January 2007, 01:08 PM
Yeah i know. Just sayin what i think.

Don't get your nickers in a twist. :P

your right dude, the majority of chrome rims are cheap and heavy. i guess embracing the bling factor is important to some people, but you really have to make the decision between that and performance.

heavy wheels make a car feel sluggish, not necessarily the wheel diameter

hence my recommendation of lightweight racing wheels.

count yourself lucky that you have a 4 x 100 stud pattern which gives you the option of choosing an abundance rims from japanese manufacturers

the poor sods with 5x110 (like me) are limited in our choices as jap manufacturers don't recognise this pattern.

i wish there was some sort of worldwide standard for stud patterns. friend of mine has a peugot... stud pattern 4x98 or something like, he had to get hubcentric wheel spacers to change it to 4x100, then buy 4x100 pattern rims.

PaulyJ
18th January 2007, 01:13 PM
16s are too small these days

Excuse me?
I chose 16's on mine because I drive my car hard, and prefer to have 45 profile tyres, and not 35's. Thats more important to me.

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 01:16 PM
your right dude, the majority of chrome rims are cheap and heavy. i guess embracing the bling factor is important to some people, but you really have to make the decision between that and performance.

heavy wheels make a car feel sluggish, not necessarily the wheel diameter

hence my recommendation of lightweight racing wheels.

count yourself lucky that you have a 4 x 100 stud pattern which gives you the option of choosing an abundance rims from japanese manufacturers

the poor sods with 5x110 (like me) are limited in our choices as jap manufacturers don't recognise this pattern.

i wish there was some sort of worldwide standard for stud patterns. friend of mine has a peugot... stud pattern 4x98 or something like, he had to get hubcentric wheel spacers to change it to 4x100, then buy 4x100 pattern rims.

OMFG!!!! Someone on this forum thinks the same as i do!!!

Enkei, gram lights, wed sports, rota, desmond, volk, advan just to name a few.

but really. if your after performance, weight reduction is where its at. Make everything as light as possible. Even yourself.

InsaneAsylum
18th January 2007, 02:31 PM
OMFG!!!! Someone on this forum thinks the same as i do!!!

Enkei, gram lights, wed sports, rota, desmond, volk, advan just to name a few.

but really. if your after performance, weight reduction is where its at. Make everything as light as possible. Even yourself.

hey i'll agree, even though you're a honda lover :p

some guy front performance forums had one of those old civics, he stripped it and ran extremely light 14" wheels. he had a b16a in it, naturally aspirated with bit of head work and cams.... the car ran 12's

it just goes to show what you can achieve with smart modifications.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 03:48 PM
Regarding 4x100 vs 5x110 PCD's and styles available - remember once you've found the wheel you like and it meets the size and offsets for your requirements, find out if it's available in a 5x114.3 PCD (most Jap makes are), you can then get them re-drilled to to suit 5x110 PCD.

Choices problem for 5 stud solved :)

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 04:24 PM
This is true.

Get some new gram lights that have titanuim in them!!! They've got an oily reflection to them which is sexy!!!

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 07:08 PM
15's FTW!!!

No i'm not.

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback too guys... now to start looking at some light weight alloys.

EL BURITO
18th January 2007, 07:49 PM
get the 17's. and it feels the same taking off as it did with the 15's but alot better in the corrnes

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 07:54 PM
Sweet, and I think i've found what i'm after... they are O-Z items.

pred8r
18th January 2007, 09:01 PM
Lightweight wheels will make the car more responsive.

tip - weigh one of your wheels with tyre, then weigh one you want with the tyre (or get the weights from the spec sheets or boxes.
If its heavier you'll be slower.

Then theres overall rolling diameter.......if its larger you will be not as quick but will go faster (work that out:wall:) vice versa if its smaller

if you want something quick get some 12" superlites from a mini :D

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 09:10 PM
Smaller rolling diameter: faster acceleration, slower top speed

Larger rolling diameter: slower acceleration, faster top speed

:thumbsup:

cyclonic
18th January 2007, 09:21 PM
16's for performance, 17's for looks.

JasonGilholme
18th January 2007, 11:17 PM
I still reckon 15"s look sexy hey. Dunno what the profile would be on the opels but on a lowered honda 15"s or 16"s look great. 15's moreso cause the matching tyre profile looks better then that of the 16"s.

Plus, 15"s are lighter then 16's (most of the time anyway.) :P

MatsHolden
19th January 2007, 12:17 AM
Ive got 15's on at the moment...

MatsHolden
19th January 2007, 12:59 AM
ok here we go, decided against O-Z, a little out of the range on what im willing to spend. But i think it'll be out of these two designs...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/lite7.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/lit-fin.jpg

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 01:00 AM
1st one............

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 01:01 AM
how much were the oz?

MatsHolden
19th January 2007, 01:04 AM
how much were the oz?

$675 per rim.

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 02:10 AM
that is a little steep

mackeysam
19th January 2007, 03:21 AM
17" 5 spoke titanium rims all the way...if you've got the money...otherwise just try with 17's and if they don't do it for you then go with the 16's...where are you located? if you're in brisbane/gold coast then check out keith wheels at the coast...they are really helpful and well price...got a mate who just got 19's for his suby which look awesome and they have made the ride alot smoother suprizingly...and his fuel economy is actually alot better:D

cheers!

GreyRex
19th January 2007, 10:04 AM
I reckon you would eventually regret going for 16's Matt. I was in your situation when i wanted my wheels, wondering how much difference it was going to make to performance. Addmittedly i do have the 1.8, but you've got to think where your priorities lie. Like some people have said, you can go for lightweight wheels... but for our type of car I dont reckon they're worth it. Going from 195/45/16's to 205/40/17, I wouldnt go back. 17's also fill the guards nicely. People keep mentioning rolling diameter and that, if you go for the proper profile, you wont have a problem at all. The ONLY thing you will have to worry about with 17's is that you must get the correct offset, otherwise they'll rub. Mine don't rub at all, even with five people in it.

Then theres the argument of what tyre to get. I great 17 inch tyre may overcome the slight weight gain.

MatsHolden
19th January 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeh rolling diameter didn't concern me as i'd get the correct profile tyres to keep it the same. Was just the weight issue, but yeh don't think it would be that noticable. Definiately have to get the correect offset whether it's 16's or 17's as they are both 7" wide and my car will be lowered. But 17's is looking to take the honours!

JasonGilholme
19th January 2007, 10:58 AM
Go the first ones man.

MatsHolden
19th January 2007, 11:01 AM
Go the first ones man.

Yeh think I'm leaning towards them. Anyone know the offset for the Barina? I did know it, but I can never remember it.

Wraith
19th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Just rip off one of your wheels you have on ATM and see what it is - should be stamped behind one of the spokes (inside face) :)

Regarding the 17's in the voice of Starsky (Ben Stiller) "DO IT, DO IT" :D :D

JohnBu
19th January 2007, 02:09 PM
i'll be different and say get the 2nd one...

i say 16, performance over looks..

but whatever wheel size u get, make sure you get some decent tyres and not nankangs, federals, etc.

good vs cheap tyres will make a bigger difference in performance compared to 16s v 17s

EL BURITO
19th January 2007, 03:50 PM
ET needs to be 40 to 47 not to rub

JasonGilholme
19th January 2007, 03:57 PM
Get some semi slicks for them!

I can get semi's for 190 a corner :D:D They're for 15"s tho. They're street legal too :D:D

missxc
19th January 2007, 10:08 PM
Mat why are you discussing mags? You are MEANT to be having a 21st!
If you do go with the mags :naughty: get 20" chromies!

mr_sikma
19th January 2007, 10:29 PM
yeah 20s would be good...

although 17s or 18s in bling are good too :D

missxc
19th January 2007, 10:32 PM
Yeh. I told Mat I was going to get a waterbed over rims and he said if I were near him he would slap me! Ha Ha.

So Mat if you get rims over a big 21st I will slap you. Your only 21 once, rims are always there!

MatsHolden
20th January 2007, 12:04 AM
Yeh. I told Mat I was going to get a waterbed over rims and he said if I were near him he would slap me! Ha Ha.

So Mat if you get rims over a big 21st I will slap you. Your only 21 once, rims are always there!

Looks like you'll have to slap me...

MatsHolden
20th January 2007, 12:11 AM
but whatever wheel size u get, make sure you get some decent tyres and not nankangs, federals, etc.

good vs cheap tyres will make a bigger difference in performance compared to 16s v 17s

Yeh i'm going to get some Falkens.

Tfer
20th January 2007, 08:26 AM
First ones Matt..... way nice :cool:

MatsHolden
20th January 2007, 08:51 AM
They weigh 8.3kg and have an offset of ET45. So that offset should be fine with lowering?

pred8r
20th January 2007, 07:48 PM
They weigh 8.3kg and have an offset of ET45. So that offset should be fine with lowering?

I doubt it, my wheels (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191604#post191604) has the specs of rim and tyre and they rub on the outside by about 5mm on stock SRi suspension with 2 ppl in it sometimes, and often with 4 ppl.

EL BURITO
20th January 2007, 07:59 PM
The perfect offset for a corsa is et49 although this can cause problems with catching on the front brakes with some alloy wheel designs with most aftermarket alloy wheels. The best offsets for a Corsa C are et45 or et42. You can still comfortably fit et 49 and et40 too. Depending on wheels shape/style you may be forced into using et40, especially on an SRi with bigger brakes.

It is recommend to be between et40-45 on 17" alloys (17x7 wheel / 205/40/17 tyres). Arch modification shouldn't be required if you stick to these offset and don't lower you corsa too much. You should be fine with going as low as -30/-40mm with not too many problems.

Lower offsets like et38, et37 are possible but if you are lowering, expect problems with rubbing on your archs.

from CCUK............

MatsHolden
20th January 2007, 09:02 PM
from CCUK............

Sounds promising. Will see what the blokes at Tyre Power reckon. And just realised the tyres are gonna be extremely narrow to keep the overall diameter the same as I have now.