PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust = SO LOUD!!! :(

mr_sikma
18th January 2007, 10:40 AM
Hey,

Before today my exhaust consisted of;

stock exhaust manifold into cat, stock piping into huge resonator back into stock piping to near the rear tyres. then in went 2" piping into 2 rear hotdog resonators with the twin dump tips either side.

it sounded allright but wasnt very loud. so the next step was to remove the middle resonator. this came off and its around 1m long and the inside pipe diameter is about 1" if your lucky! talk about restriction!!!

anyway now it goes off the cat, 2" straight through piping all the way to the rear with the 2 rear hotdogs.

AND...

it sounds like crap! so loud and not a good sound, and it shakes the car and has weird vibrations!!!

the guy at the shop told me that it would prob be too loud but might aswell try rather than spend money on another middle resonator to find out that was too quiet!!!

so yeah... they question is will another hotdog style middle resonator quiet it down and give it a nice note?

its booked in again for this arvo to fix it, and thats what he reccomended!

cheers

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 10:49 AM
Yeh put on a hot dog resinator mate, that's what i've got on mine. Still allows the flow and doesn't affect the note, just quietens it down. You have to be careful with our cars with them being 1.4's, it's very easy to get them sounding like motor bikes.

mr_sikma
18th January 2007, 11:04 AM
so what rear muffler do you have?

i dont ahve one, just the 2 rear hotdogs, coz thats all that will fit!

muffler in the middle would kill the sound cmpletely hay?

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 11:13 AM
I've got 2" piping all the way from the cat like you have, a hot dog for the resinator and then a Lukey glass pack muffler make the note down real deep. Without the glass pack in sounded like a motorbike... not nice.

mr_sikma
19th January 2007, 10:15 PM
got another hotdog put in the middle...

still sounds like crap!!!

going back tomorrow to get a bigger muffler put in...

Turblue
19th January 2007, 10:23 PM
Ok... I'll add my 10cents here....

A wise Exhaust Dude told me this.

"The more muffler material you have, the quieter the system. Simple."

Basically, the more sound deadening material you have the quieter the system. A resonator has very little material, and so it does SFA. I have three full mufflers under my car to keep it quiet. Not reso's, full mufflers. No drone, and a nice note.

mr_sikma
19th January 2007, 10:33 PM
yeah i want a bit more noise than i had with the huge resonator and 2 hot dogs...

but as i have the two rear exits, its alot of trial and error i spose.

i am not being charged yet until i am happy :D

PaulyJ
23rd January 2007, 03:17 AM
Put some big mufflers on it, especially since you have twin exits.

platypus
23rd January 2007, 11:32 PM
even a smaller resonator... of the same variety as was removed

SKM_87
23rd January 2007, 11:54 PM
muffler in the middle would kill the sound cmpletely hay?

a good straight through muffler wont kill sound. put one in. 2 resi's on the small of an engine will hardly do anything coz of the size.

MatsHolden
24th January 2007, 12:45 AM
a good straight through muffler wont kill sound. put one in. 2 resi's on the small of an engine will hardly do anything coz of the size.

Have to be careful with a 1.4 and straight through mufflers, can make it sound like a motor bike as I said before.