PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Bolt Ons. Are they safe???

konzilla_
17th January 2007, 10:24 PM
Hi guys,

For those who havent read my life story on the post "The New Guy"...
I have just purchased a 92 Calibra and as i havent been in the scene for a while now (5 yrs), i was just wondering...

I've been browsing through ebay and it seems to me that every charles and cornelius in the UK has an ebay shop, mainly selling cheap bolt on bits that promise 10-25hp.

Things like electric superchargers, chips, modules and so on...

My question to you, a group of calibra enthusiasts, is...
IS IT SAFE and DOES IT WORK???

Ive seen prices vay from AU$9.90 for a 8hp chip up to AU$500 for a twin electric supercharger...

Any feedback woul be awesome as i really know very little about these things, by these things i mean piston motors...

Let me know guys!

Cheers!!!

PaulyJ
17th January 2007, 10:52 PM
Stay away, that is all!

Bill_G
17th January 2007, 10:59 PM
The "chip" is in fact a 2c resistor which replaces the IAT (not good for the engine), and electric superchargers simply don't work. They require more current to drive them at speeds which would be useful, than is available. As Pauly said above, stay well clear of them.

The most cost-effective way to increase horsepower and reduce fuel consumption is to fit good quality plug leads, iridium plugs, a K&N air filter (panel type), and perhaps a less restrictive muffler, if money is no object. Any more than that, and you're looking at amounts which are more than the car is worth.

Insubordinate
17th January 2007, 11:15 PM
Stay away, that is all!

couldn't have said it better

InsaneAsylum
18th January 2007, 08:13 AM
i can't believe people are still trying to sell 2 cent resistors for $20

do these idiots think they are so smart or what?

how do they get the positive feedback too like "installed item in 5 minutes and it really works, feel the difference! AAA+++" stoopid!

konzilla_
18th January 2007, 11:33 PM
thanks guys...
thats pretty much all i needed to hear...

any other help on quick performancee upgrades would be awesome!

so panel filter are the way to go?

what about a pod filter with a heat shield and advanced cold ai intake???

has anyone tried it and how does it compare?

PaulyJ
19th January 2007, 12:50 AM
de-restrict airbox, good filter and a proper CAI.
IMHO, stay clear from pods unless you block as much hot air as you can.

oneightoo
19th January 2007, 01:23 AM
the cali airbox doesnt have a snorkel inside so you dont have to de-restrict that.. just remove the resonator box from below the airbox and replace with a tube..

if i get motivated one day this weeked i might take some pics of mine..

some people also remove or modify the pop out part of the front bar where the towing point is to have the CAI tube suck air from there..

cyclonic
21st January 2007, 12:00 AM
Ebay mods are crap, especially that one, and this particular mod mentioned can do serious damage to your engine.

As everyone else has said, a decent exhaust, air intake mod and filter will be a good start. I've done so on mine and it works nicely.

platypus
21st January 2007, 10:48 AM
yes in general they are crap - do your research, there are some bargains to be had, last car i had, i lowered and did CAI with stuff from EBAY

i just bought new head kit through Ebay - cost me less than a 1/3 of the local supply only price!!!