PDA

View Full Version : Tigra?

Mainframe_Module
17th January 2007, 06:07 PM
Now i know alot of big tough macho men would scoff at me wanting one, claiming that it is a girls or 'hairdressers' car.

but....i actually love the look of these things, especially qwith the roof UP. (yes yes i know..why bother buying a convertable if your hardly ever gunna have the roof down?)...but i still like the shape.

im still learning manual so the plan is now hopefully sell my yaris in a few months (ill try privately to get a bit more i think) and then go for a NEAR NEW tigra, ive seen some going for like 26k :o considoring new ones are 35 + on roads...

anyway, just wondering if anyone here has test driven one or has one or likes them?
if not im still considoring the astra coupe and the citroen c4 coupe....and preying that they will announce they are bringing over the corsa before then.
volvo c30 looks nice but out of my price range.
hoping to stay under 30k.

anyway, just thought if anyone had any input on the tigra id appreciate it :D

EL BURITO
17th January 2007, 07:23 PM
Its a hevyer 1.8 corsa, Gildo might know if his mum ever lets him out in hers. other wise we have one member on here with one.

I did look at one as a replacement to my C but sorry a AH turbo is better for the money in my eyes

Mainframe_Module
17th January 2007, 07:26 PM
im on green p's so no turbo for me

and i don't really care how many milliseconds quicker it can get to x speed etc.

as long as it has enough grunt for daily driving and a tiny bit more to be a bit of fun :)

oneightoo
17th January 2007, 07:30 PM
it's not a bad looking car, with the right bodykit they can look fantastic.. good luck getting a kit in aus for under an arm and a leg tho..

what colour would you get?

it'll have enough grunt for a daily driver, but how much fun do you wanna have in a heavy 1.8?

EL BURITO
17th January 2007, 07:33 PM
it's not a bad looking car, with the right bodykit they can look fantastic.. good luck getting a kit in aus for under an arm and a leg tho..

what colour would you get?

it'll have enough grunt for a daily driver, but how much fun do you wanna have in a heavy 1.8?
and you cant have fun in the back seat cos there are non. but there is room in the front. see there are good things about only being 5:6

oneightoo
17th January 2007, 07:34 PM
or the bonnet even?

EL BURITO
17th January 2007, 07:35 PM
or the bonnet even?
i got told off when i surgested that one

oneightoo
17th January 2007, 07:36 PM
really? thats just silly..

Mainframe_Module
17th January 2007, 07:43 PM
lol, well to be honest i hardly ever have used my back seats in my car, its handy having them i spose but if i needed to haul lots of people i could just use my mums tanky magna hah.

colour will be a hard choice, as my avatar might have suggested - my colourscheme is blue and black and silver. its all i wear or like.
the problem is the tigra comes in ALL those colours....gah.

honestly though, as my yaris is silver and the silver of the tigra isnt quite dark enough (i prefer titanium/darkish silvers) then blue and black are looking to be the ones to chose from.

also would be getting the windows tinted to darkest legal, ill never have a car without tinting after i can see and feel the difference it made to mine afer getting it done, but yeah....blue or black i think *nod*

PaulyJ
17th January 2007, 07:46 PM
Get the Black, tint the **** out of it, and drop it on some nice 18's.

Red AH SRI T
17th January 2007, 07:51 PM
Not quiet sure if this stills applies but Tigra's were going for $29 990 drive away not too long ago, Brand new.

Although i would guess that there is not much stock left.

If dealers are still doing that price I would pay the extra and go for a brand spankers.

Blue or Black? Hard choice! The blue is a little girly, but still very cool. If you like attention, go for the Blue, otherwise go for the black and be prepared to get friendly with your local Crystal Car Wash :eek:

Tfer
17th January 2007, 08:03 PM
Now i know alot of big tough macho men would scoff at me wanting one, claiming that it is a girls or 'hairdressers' car.

but....i actually love the look of these things, especially qwith the roof UP. (yes yes i know..why bother buying a convertable if your hardly ever gunna have the roof down?)...but i still like the shape.

im still learning manual so the plan is now hopefully sell my yaris in a few months (ill try privately to get a bit more i think) and then go for a NEAR NEW tigra, ive seen some going for like 26k :o considoring new ones are 35 + on roads...

anyway, just wondering if anyone here has test driven one or has one or likes them?
if not im still considoring the astra coupe and the citroen c4 coupe....and preying that they will announce they are bringing over the corsa before then.

Mainframe_Module.... I love the look of the Tigra.... I have always loved the smaller convertibles :)

And quite frankly.... it is you who has to be happy with the Tigra.... and everyone else can go get st^ffed :p

Its good sometimes to have a ride that is not so common as well ;)

Mainframe_Module
17th January 2007, 09:33 PM
Its good sometimes to have a ride that is not so common as well ;)

exactly, im pretty damn different so my car should be too :D

hmm yeah the blue does look a tiny bit girly, but then again ive never been one to give a **** what people think so it doesnt really worry me, i think id have to inspect both in person first

i didnt know about the 29990 drive away thing......but yeah, if i could get that when looking for one then id go for it.

i guess now its just a matter of learning manual as much as possible, paying off my car as much as possible and then seeing what my options are in a few months.

ive never sold a car before (since this is my first) so im kinda scared.....i rang up toyota finance for the yaris which i still owe about 16-17k on (was 22500 new, as i got the top of the range auto one), and they seem to be selling on drive.com.au and the like for about 18 or 19k, and mine doesnt even have 6000 k's on it yet so i thik i should be okay.

they also told me i AM allowed to sell the car when i owe money on it, so long as i pay it off within a certain amount of time, which is cool cause id put the money i got for it onto paying it off.

being my age, insurance on the tigra will be a bitch though, but i can stick that on credit card i spose :P yaaay debt.

i just wanna get good enough with manual to go start extensive test driving, though ive noticed dealers are hesetant to let you test drive unless they think your almost about to buy, if you explain your just loooking they dont give a crap about you :\

tim_
17th January 2007, 10:59 PM
depends on how serious you look. i found holden to be really helpful, even when i told them i was just looking, but maybe i had the look of really getting a new car.

Tfer
18th January 2007, 08:26 AM
depends on how serious you look. i found holden to be really helpful, even when i told them i was just looking, but maybe i had the look of really getting a new car.

Agreed.... pick the right dealership and they will bend over backwards to help... the wrong one.... forget it... the word "help" does not exist in their little minds :rolleyes:

Wraith
18th January 2007, 08:38 AM

Go for it :)

I too love this car and have also pondered the thought of one as an everyday ride.........;)

There's one near my place and it's owned by a bloke, looks fantastic in star silver.

I also reckon you don't need to add a body kit, it looks great as is, it has a similar front to the sri t and vxr AH Astras.

All it needs is the 'wraith touch' :D - ie: lowered with a nice set of big wheels. 18's or 19's would look f*#*#*g unreal on a Tigra :)

RudeOne
18th January 2007, 09:50 AM
The tigra will get more cred when its bigger bro hits Aus - (twintop astra) IMO

Gees i don't remember the last time holden had a full range like this...!

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 10:15 AM
hmm i dont like the look of the astra convertable, and its waay out of my price range anyway.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 10:34 AM
The tigra will get more cred when its bigger bro hits Aus - (twintop astra) IMO

Gees i don't remember the last time holden had a full range like this...!

Twin Top is already here :)

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 10:43 AM
The Tigra's a re great little cars. Fantastic looking. Perfect for what you want by the sounds of things, plenty of power for everyday driving and still enough to have a bit of fun. Only thing that is against them is that they're an expensive Barina.

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 10:45 AM
Twin Top is already here :)

Saw a black one sitting in the car park at work yesterday with the roof down... Very very swarv! Just needs the Turbo now...

MatsHolden
18th January 2007, 10:46 AM
hmm i dont like the look of the astra convertable, and its waay out of my price range anyway.

That's interesting, because the Astra really does look like a large Tigra.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 11:05 AM
Saw a black one sitting in the car park at work yesterday with the roof down... Very very swarv! Just needs the Turbo now...

I've checked one out in the flesh at Preston Motors - star silver - very, very desirable car !!!

They already have both turbos in Europe ie: the 1.9 tdi and 2.0 t.

Hopefully they'll bring both down here, the 1.9 tdi will suit it well with the extra torque to haul the extra weight, it'll be a nippy performer :)

Would be great to see a turbo version of the Tigra too, maybe even a vxr version similar to the vxr Corsa - I'd want one for sure - Tigra with 1.6ltr turbo, very nice :)

In my eyes the Tigra and Twin Top are similar, but also have distinct differences.

The above sections are totally diferent in looks and proportions, especially the 'C' pillar.

I've seen a 'done up' example of the Tigra, I must say, it looks sexier than any Twin Top I've seen so far :)

The Twin Top needs the front bar, side skirts and rear of the sri t or vxr to really look good IMHO ;)

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 12:07 PM
is it heavier than the astra?

cause they have the same engine ay?, when i test drove the astra it seemed really strong, at least compared to my auto 1.5 yaris lol.

as long as it feels about the same as the astra did then i think id be more than happy with it

looking at say june time, around my birthday....end of financial year usually has good deals, if they do them for 29990 driveaway ill prolly go for it unless theres something else that takes my eye before then.

wonder if they are gunna make a new tigra based on the new corsa, considoring this ones based on the barina (old corsa in uk)??.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds good, I can only say from what I've heard - not personal experience, that they go very well.

If your in the market for a 2 seater hard top vert, you may want to also look at the Pug 206cc and the new Mitsu. Colt 2 seater hardtop convertible.

They are the Tigra's direct competition....

The Pug will be getting a 1.6ltr BMW turbo motor with the new model.....sounds interesting, but have no idea of it's cost :rolleyes:

Might pay to hold off and explore the options :)

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 12:53 PM
thats the thing, im not exclusively after a 2 seater, but because ilove the look of the tigra id be willing to get one for it.

not interested in the peugeot (all their cars seem ugly as hell now...though my boss would hit me if he heard me say that, he loves his 406 coupe or was it 407.....meh, whatever it is he has)
and dont like the look of the colt one.

the tigra is the best looking and best value one from what ive seen.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Tigra it is then :)

Let us know when you get one :)

I still hope they do a sport or vxr model.

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 04:33 PM
tigra it is for now, lol...knowing me ill find something else that takes my fancy before then

but i have to say, its either tigra or astra that im almost certain on at this point.

opel cars just seem so much more solid and nice and...maybe its the european thing but its the little things that count you know? like the deadlocking and programable central locking...other brands could easily do that but half of them dont bother.

just the little quirky things like that make them seem more fun, i like the contemporary interior design that is sleek and minimal and functional.

my friend has an SRI barina from like 03?...and she adores it, its going perfectly and i think the only thing thats gone wrong with it was some sensor problem in the engine not long ago, but other than that its been fine.

i want a european car this time, i mean my toyota is a good reliable car...but thats ALL it is, you know? and the interior of them are so generic it hurts, all the head units for the stereos are basically the same, they all have the same basic crap in them. and no sporty or performance models, the new auris coming out looks like a bigger fatter yaris.

i love the look of the citroen coupes but reliability reports seem to indicate that ALOT tends to go wrong with them, and since they arent backed as much in australia as in the uk im a little nervious about buying one. then again the owner of the business i work at only ever has citroens, and his son (my boss i mentioned earlier) only gets citroens or peugeots and they dont stop raving about how great and reliable they are.

still, i think it might be the smarter option to go with holden or a major brand for reliability and peace of mind reasons more than anything, but well see.

insurance will be the killer, so maybe ill find some special offers like i did with the astra when i was looking at it where they are throwing in free comprehensive insurance.
ill see whats going in end of financial year.

thanks for all your replies and input, i do appreciate it.

tim_
18th January 2007, 05:59 PM
will you be able to insure it? i was a smidgeon off buying a 206 cc last year, but everywhere told me that because i'm only 22, they wouldn't do it.

and hear hear about opels. i'm on my 6th car and 3rd astra, my other cars being a swift, lancer glxi, and commodore, and none have come close for me to the astra

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 06:12 PM
hmm im 22, and i think they will insure it, allianz and 'just car insurance' which is a sub aami company gave me quotes so i cant see why they wouldnt

aami doesnt insure people under a certain age with certain types of vehicles so im not sure if they would be able to, but since i have a good history with them maybe they would be leanient.

i think they just wont insure modded/turbo etc cars to people our age.

i know of people my age who have mercedes and lexus and stuff, so if they can get them insured somewhere im sure i could get a tigra insured?

hmm ill have to look into all of that, but while it will be expensive (prolly like 4k) i think its still insurable.

tim_
18th January 2007, 08:45 PM
i thought just cars would be a bit more than 4000, they quoted me $2900 for a $15,000 saab 9-3 lol.

speaking of insurance, friggin AAMI have upped my insurance, last year it was $600, now it's $690 and insured for less :(

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 09:59 PM
well mines like 2k with aami and believe it or not they are pretty much the cheapest ive found :(

caise im on p's still i think. bah.

but yeah i just did some quotes online and justcar insurance was cheapest for the tigra, bout 3.5k.

tim_
18th January 2007, 10:05 PM
just cars do it online now? good. i'll get my quote on a 9-3 vector.

tim_
18th January 2007, 10:10 PM
**** they're expensive!! just put the details in for my astra... $1400! bugger me! lol

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 10:20 PM
who do you get insurance by usually then?
cause ive yet to find anything cheaper :\

nrma wanted like 6k from me last year for my yaris, **** that.

EL BURITO
18th January 2007, 10:23 PM
GIO for my car. When it was stock it was with allianz

tim_
18th January 2007, 10:40 PM
i use normal AAMI.

i dunno what info your yaris is, but i got the following:

2005 TOYOTA YARIS YR NCP90R F/INJ 3D HATCHBACK 4 CYL 1.3L 5 SP MANUAL You advised your car has no unrepaired damage Car purchase date SEP 2005 Car purchase price $18,000

$757 (if paid online)
$782 (offline premium)

Mainframe_Module
18th January 2007, 10:48 PM
mines yrx auto 3dr

but yeah...i use normal aami too, although after looking on the gio website i see they have a 60% discount to people with faimly members...when their stupid online quoting service decides to actually work for me, i will see if that will be cheaper - if so, my mum is changing insurance companies :P
haha

insurance is a bitch, you hope you never need it - but then you get erked to thinkt hat your paying for nothing in return (hopefully)...aside from peace of mind i spose. blargh

KID_SRi
20th January 2007, 06:59 PM
There's a Brand New Antigua Bay Blue Tigra in Patterson Cheney Ringwood(Melb)
for $27990 Driveaway. I was there today getting a Key for my SS

I'll see if I can find a Link/Advert for it.

Mainframe_Module
20th January 2007, 11:35 PM
too far being in melb :(
that and im not looking for it right now

pred8r
21st January 2007, 10:52 AM
too far being in melb :(
that and im not looking for it right now

To state the obvious, get everything pre-approved then a flight to vic @$90 + taxi @$50? is still a LOT cheaper than anything else you may find. Considering its a new car it should be a non issue as to whether its a wasted flight. 800kms home is a good run in and you get to know the car too.

Tfer
21st January 2007, 11:59 AM
To state the obvious, get everything pre-approved then a flight to vic @$90 + taxi @$50? is still a LOT cheaper than anything else you may find. Considering its a new car it should be a non issue as to whether its a wasted flight. 800kms home is a good run in and you get to know the car too.

Superb idea pred :cool:

You are an ideas guy.... love it :dance:

Wraith
21st January 2007, 12:23 PM
I agree with the above - great idea ;)

But I think Mainframe isn't ready to buy just yet, so good price or not, if you can't act, you've got to let it go unfortunately :(

Tfer
21st January 2007, 01:33 PM
I agree with the above - great idea ;)

But I think Mainframe isn't ready to buy just yet, so good price or not, if you can't act, you've got to let it go unfortunately :(

True.... over to Mainframe ;)

Mainframe_Module
21st January 2007, 01:51 PM
it sounds like a great deal but im just not ready to buy right now.

i looked up the dealer you mentioned and on their site the blue tigra was listed at 34990? and tha wasnt drive away.

it would require me trying to sell my car i have now in time, taking time off work, hoping it doesnt get sold before i can sell said car i already have and then getting there and finding my way home.

then arent there inspections you have to make when transferring from one state to another? because somone at work bought a car in canberra and had to take it to get all these inspections done and pay to transfer rego and stuff over. sure with all of that it would sitll be cheaper than a brand new one at normal price, but ive had a look on some of the car sites and there are a few tigras going for around 27-29 drive away. some have a few k's on em...but they are only ex demos and virtually new.

im also not comfortable enough in manual yet, the reason why i backed out of the astra - until i feel i can drive it as well as an auto then im not confidant enough to own one knowing i cant drive it properly.

plus i get a bonus at mid year and thats when all of the end of financial year sales go on, so if there's negative equity on my yaris and i cant get as much as i owe on it, that bonus could balance it out - or (and more likely) to pay for the insurance because its going to be alot more with a tigra.

i really want it guys, but i just cant jump on it right now :\

EL BURITO
21st January 2007, 03:05 PM
mates dads did that, but for a Holden Surrberban, its fooking huge.

pred8r
21st January 2007, 04:08 PM
I would be suprised if ANY dealer listed their best price or special deal online, another dealership would just match it to get the sale.

As to change over inspections, you'd have until the rego ran out, i'd think. but if ANYONE gave you hassles about changing state reg over on an 800km car, I'd report them, and if it was a valid point get straight in touch with GM directly.

A thought..... you could buy it unregistered (saves $$$), get a permit (or a friends plates maybe, not that i condone this), drive to NSW register it there.

Mainframe_Module
22nd January 2007, 12:45 PM
hey guys

i found a good deal on an 2005 tigra with 2000k's on it,still under new warranty for 25990.
its in sydney too, and in the blue colour i like.

i just rang up my insurance and the quote they gave me is actually very reasonable, not much more than for my yaris! im pretty stoked.

so i sent them an enquiry about the car asking if that price was drive away, cause if i bought it early id have to try and get more for the yaris and couldnt afford on roads ontop of that.

think its a good deal?
ive never bought a second hand car before (okay,...mainly cause the one i have now is my first ever car :P ) and im just a little nervious as to if there is something wrong with it, i dont want to go to alot of trouble to get stuck with a lemon :(

what do you guys reckon?

EL BURITO
22nd January 2007, 04:13 PM
2000km u cant fook up a car to much in that much time. see if it has the Holden certified warranty? if so u will be under the remainder of the new car warranty and then the 3 year 175000km. even if is dosnt included every thing. Is the Tigra realy wat u want if so then it may be the only way u can have one u aready said u cant strech on a new one

MatsHolden
22nd January 2007, 04:16 PM
Hmm friend of mine just bought a brand new Tigra for $27,500 drive away... I thought it would've had to have been a demo, but to my surprise it wasn't.

EL BURITO
22nd January 2007, 04:25 PM
Hmm friend of mine just bought a brand new Tigra for $27,500 drive away... I thought it would've had to have been a demo, but to my surprise it wasn't.
thats a awsome deal

Mainframe_Module
22nd January 2007, 04:58 PM
in terms of looks and features its what i want.

but ive never driven one so obviously would want to test drive it to make sure im perfectly comfortable in it, im 6ft2 so id have to make sure its not too squishy for me and that i like it in person.

but i really do like the tigras, yes.

im worried about getting in over my head again and buying a car before i feel im ready to drive it....but its a good deal.
hmm well see.

EL BURITO
22nd January 2007, 05:00 PM
when do u go for your proper licence?

Mainframe_Module
22nd January 2007, 05:28 PM
propper as in full?
december

but im allowed to drive manual now on my green p's, i just meant me feeling comfortable with it and feeling if im ready for manual.

EL BURITO
22nd January 2007, 05:34 PM
manuel..............

Tfer
22nd January 2007, 05:35 PM
My 2 cents.... walk into your local dealer, and take one for a drive.... go in with the attitude you are buying :)

Then if it is the right one for you and you are happy with how it drives, and how you fit in it.... shop around for the best deal :)

Then.... if it all still right.... buy it! :D

Mainframe_Module
22nd January 2007, 05:47 PM
yeah im thinking of test driving this one.
even if i dont buy it ill get a feel for the tigra and see if its something i want.

theres two local dealers and one is ****ty with me for backing out of the astra deal so somehow i dont think id be very popular there :P
hehe....anyway.

Tigra
23rd January 2007, 12:41 PM
I've now had my Tigra for just over 2 months and love getting into it everyday. The Black is great as long as you like cleaning your car every weekend.

As for insurance, I had a Suzuki Liana 2004 model, and the Tigra is about $150 more on the insurance, but I also have it listed with the insurance company that the car is living in a country town (which is it 90% of the time).

Mainframe: Take my advise from MSN, contact the guys at Heartland Holden and see what they can come up with. With the price they are now at $29,990, I'd buy a new one over a Demo. At least you know it has not been trashed.