PDA

View Full Version : Boot won't open without using the key?

lowey22
16th January 2007, 07:10 PM
Got the car back from the mechanic today and when I got home I tired to open the boot (the car was unlocked) and it wouldn't open. I had to use the key to open it (it's an Astra G btw). Seems strange as previously if the car was unlocked you could just push in the button and it would open.

I had a bit of a look, but haven't taken the back panel off to check out what's happening internally yet. I'm going to call the mechcanic tomorrow and see what they reckon. The engine was pulled apart and the battery disconnected, not sure that this would make any difference to the lock though?

Any thoughts?

low astra
16th January 2007, 07:11 PM
blown fuse somewhere? anything else you noticed not working?

xplosv57
16th January 2007, 07:46 PM
Depends which position the boot lock is in, if its turned one way then it won't open with central locking, it has to be in a certain position to unlock with the rest of the car!! Id tell you exactly which way if i had my car, maybe someone else knows what im on about!!

Just play around with it, try one way and press the central locking button, see how you go!!!

jerrypufflewell
16th January 2007, 08:32 PM
Depends which position the boot lock is in, if its turned one way then it won't open with central locking, it has to be in a certain position to unlock with the rest of the car!! Id tell you exactly which way if i had my car, maybe someone else knows what im on about!!

Just play around with it, try one way and press the central locking button, see how you go!!!

On the F horizontal means it unlocks with the doors... I guess it's the same on the G

platypus
16th January 2007, 10:40 PM
yes jerry it is the same on the Astra F, G and vec B

i thought same for barina, but not too sure

lowey22
17th January 2007, 09:54 AM
just turned it to horizontal, it worked! it was driving me a bit mad, the meachanic must have used the key to open it and put it back to vertical.

Thanks!

Wraith
17th January 2007, 12:50 PM
Yep, that's what's going on there, it's the same for Calibras.

I actually leave mine in the vertical position, as this prevents people from being able to open my boot if I leave the car temporarily unlocked.

low astra
17th January 2007, 06:41 PM
i tried mine lastnight, never new about the function, and my god that lock sounds wrong, and feels like there is somthing goin to break in there, i doubt ill touch that one again

Jess87
17th January 2007, 10:48 PM
i had that too
my dad was tinkering around in the car - as he does :eek:
and we locked the boot and i like to have the boot syncronised with all the other central locking - anyway, i found all the things you need to know about locking the car is in the instruction manual - its got all the diff combinations as to how u can have the locks in ur car -

hope this helps

nicecar
18th January 2007, 12:52 AM
its good to lock it like that when driving around with valuables in your boot (laptop etc) or just lock the doors and will lock the boot..

Tfer
18th January 2007, 08:24 AM
its good to lock it like that when driving around with valuables in your boot (laptop etc) or just lock the doors and will lock the boot..

Great idea.... the Veccy C seems to auto locks after a certain amount of time, but i should investigate this a bit more.... you have all made me think. :) this is good food for thought :cool:

cdxi
18th January 2007, 10:18 AM
The Vec C locks the hatch/boot automatically. If you've got to unload something and still have the engine running, you just press the tailgate switch on the combo panel on the driver's or front passenger's door. Great feature!

iamhappy46
6th February 2007, 10:10 AM
Using the ignition key in the drivers door lock also can wind up the windows if your lazy as well...:clap:

stevedee3
6th February 2007, 08:26 PM
The Vec C locks the hatch/boot automatically. If you've got to unload something and still have the engine running, you just press the tailgate switch on the combo panel on the driver's or front passenger's door. Great feature!And unlike the equivalent on a Commodore, it doesn't actually open the boot, so there's no need to get out of the car if you accidently press it.

Blue_Dvl
6th February 2007, 11:11 PM
yeah i found this out when i 1st got my astra.............. only query is that if you lock the boot any wouldbe theif could break a window and flip the seats to get into the boot :(