PDA

View Full Version : Re: Xenon Lights Warning Label

ope126
16th January 2007, 05:46 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has factory fitted Xenon Headlights on there Holden/Vauxhall/Opel. If so, do they have a Xenon Warning Label in the engine bay? Could you take a picture, or better still the part number of the label would be great.
I went to Holden to ask them about the new Caprice which has OEM Xenon Headlights, but they said there was not a warning label.

What about other manufacturers?

Many Thanks,

dustbug
16th January 2007, 06:03 PM
I have xenons on an AH Astra and no warning labels

low astra
16th January 2007, 07:19 PM
dont mean 2 sound dumb, but what is there a warning about on factory fitted lights?

jerrypufflewell
16th January 2007, 08:29 PM
I have xenons on an AH Astra and no warning labels
Aren't yours aftermarket?

ope126
16th January 2007, 08:50 PM
Just to confirm I am only interested in OEM fitted Xenon Headlamps, not aftermarket.

Basically from what I had seen is that some manufacturers, GM included, put warning labels in the engine bay to identify the "High Voltage" from Xenon Headlight Assemblies. I am not sure if that is the only reason. :confused:

Anyway, long story short. I am putting a set of aftermarket, BOSCH HID H7 6000k Conversion Kits into my Barina SRi. I will be hiding all the wiring and the Ballasts (Igniters). But incase I was pulled over by cops I thought I could have what appear to be OEM warning labels and may be I could get away with it. I am not quite sure on the legality of HID lights.

I hope this all makes sense.

Glenn

MatsHolden
16th January 2007, 09:39 PM
If you don't have auto levellers, then they're illegal. :)

cybermonkey
16th January 2007, 09:47 PM
warning label for voltage :confused: i think your battery could give you a bigger shock, and there arent any warning labels apart from on the battery itself...

auzvectra
16th January 2007, 10:25 PM
cyber, xenon's run on very high voltage, thats what the control gear is for.
ope126, have u bought the kit's yet?
if so how much?
if not seek www.eurolights.com, if the link is wrong post, n i'll find it here somewhere.

dustbug
16th January 2007, 11:11 PM
Aren't yours aftermarket?

Ye they are aftermarket...

On the thing of illegal and cops and so on, i have normal refector headlights with HID xenons, (i am dieing to get a set of projectors) and i have had no problems with cops at all.

auzvectra
17th January 2007, 08:00 AM
i think it's 1 of those depending of the cop things, and how much they dont like you :).
the eurolights have focus corrected bulbs designed for halogen reflectors.

platypus
17th January 2007, 08:08 AM
i've had HID's in 2 cars over the past year and a bit - the warning goes on the ballast - so you'll find that on factory cars they will tend to place the warning on the back cover of the headlight, and that will just be printed to the plastic itself... not too many warn about the high energy... nor do they warn of high energy ignitions either! just find out with the shock!

ope126
17th January 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys, to answer your question auzvectra I have already bought the Bosch HID KIt. I will be installing on saturday morning.
I will be fitting to the Barina SRi first to see how it goes / looks. Then I will try and source another kit for the VEctra CDXi, how ever there may be some issues with "Bulb Failure" because of CANbus.
Both the above cars come with "Projector" Headlights, so it should look really good and from the outside you can not see the light globe.

Wraith
17th January 2007, 08:46 AM
i've had HID's in 2 cars over the past year and a bit - the warning goes on the ballast - so you'll find that on factory cars they will tend to place the warning on the back cover of the headlight, and that will just be printed to the plastic itself... not too many warn about the high energy... nor do they warn of high energy ignitions either! just find out with the shock!

Same here - 2 cars fitted with Xenons for similar amount of time - warning about high voltage on the coil packs - so if you hide them away, you won't see anything anyway.......

I too have never had any probs with the cops, regarding this subject I have stated it before that it's my belief that because of the many types of cars fitted with Xenons from factory these days, it's so common cops don't bother.

I've encounted them head on at night time countless times, without a second glance.

You will only have a problem, if they are angled too high, with obvious dazzling to oncomming traffic.....

Install them correctly and do make sure to adjust them with a little less range than normal, you'll still enjoy the benifits and not bother other road users !!!

dustbug
17th January 2007, 08:52 AM
Same here - 2 cars fitted with Xenons for similar amount of time - warning about high voltage on the coil packs - so if you hide them away, you won't see anything anyway.......

I too have never had any probs with the cops, regarding this subject I have stated it before that it's my belief that because of the many types of cars fitted with Xenons from factory these days, it's so common cops don't bother.

I've encounted them head on at night time countless times, without a second glance.

You will only have a problem, if they are angled too high, with obvious dazzling to oncomming traffic.....

Install them correctly and do make sure to adjust them with a little less range than normal, you'll still enjoy the benifits and not bother other road users !!!

Same here, encounted cops head on many times and including being pulled over for an RBT and they said nothing, and have driving by another 10 or so RBTs and they havn't pulled me over and thats with reflectors. I would imagine reflecters are worse than projectors. I beleive on the new SRIs they come with projectors so really you shouldn't have to worry about cops at all.

Good luck with the install. Put up some pics when done!!!

ope126
17th January 2007, 09:46 PM
For those people out there that doubt the High Voltage of the Ballast, here is an attached picture of the Bosch Ballast. It stats 23Kv max, I'm no sparky but that must be higher than 12volts.

entice
17th January 2007, 10:46 PM
different issues for different states I think.

In Vic u need self levelling, as well as water jets, Esp if teh headlamp lens does not havce "PC" embossed on it. "PC" is some acronym that represents that the lens is capable of withstanding teh heat of the HID.

I remember this same discussion on another forum, where a vendor was flogging them off as legal in Vic.. I disputed, and a friend of mine, who happend to be working on Lighting at FoMoCo brought some clarification to the issue.
I was really wanting them aswell, (came close to a set of Piaa's and Catz when I was in Japan) but personally considered the risk to be too great. It's not just getting pulled over by the constabulary, but moreso the snowball that happens if something goes wrong and your vehicle happened to be part of that thing going wrong....

anyway, to each their own. I personally decided to find a set of PIAAs to repalace all bulbs on the front of my car. Yes they cost lots, but it was as close as I could get without going HID

Wraith
18th January 2007, 08:51 AM
For those people out there that doubt the High Voltage of the Ballast, here is an attached picture of the Bosch Ballast. It stats 23Kv max, I'm no sparky but that must be higher than 12volts.

Good pic there.

Just remember different brands will have different stickers and literature on their coil packs.

I have 2 different sets from 2 different companies and neither one has that much info on them, one only has the high voltage warning symbol and that's it.

Like I've said, I've yet to hear of a single substantiated case of someone being defected for having Xenon's fitted to a car, factory or not, you are definitely more likely to be pulled over and defected for for a ricey looking huge rear spoiler, massive hanging out FMIC, lowered to the ground and other things like that than having Xenon HID's.

auzvectra
18th January 2007, 09:33 AM
23kv= 23000volts :)
thought it would be higher.

Wraith
18th January 2007, 12:13 PM
No that's about right.

Most brands will operate between 20-25,000 volts.

Most will also operate on 35 watts.

Hence less heat and current draw than your standard halogens ;)

ope126
20th January 2007, 12:35 AM
BOSCH (H7) HID Conversion Kit 6000K is installed! :D :D :D

I took a bit longer with the install (about 2hrs) as I wanted everything to be neat and tidy. (No backyard job here) :dance:
Anyway, all turned out well. All leads are discreet and the Ballasts are out of view, no chopping, cutting or hacking!

I am more than pleased with the effect they give at night, I have just gone on a quick cruise to check allignment and if they dazzle other drivers - all good! ;)

I would have liked to post a "How To", exept I am too lazy. :o

But it is quite simple, can be done in 30mins if need be.

Now...about those warning stickers???

P.S. Vectra CDXi - your next!

Glenn

Greg K
20th January 2007, 08:15 AM
i have OEM xenons fitted to my veccy.... i will take a pic of the warning label for you later on

ope126
20th January 2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Greg K...

Wraith
20th January 2007, 04:31 PM
BOSCH (H7) HID Conversion Kit 6000K is installed! :D :D :D

I took a bit longer with the install (about 2hrs) as I wanted everything to be neat and tidy. (No backyard job here) :dance:
Anyway, all turned out well. All leads are discreet and the Ballasts are out of view, no chopping, cutting or hacking!

I am more than pleased with the effect they give at night, I have just gone on a quick cruise to check allignment and if they dazzle other drivers - all good! ;)

I would have liked to post a "How To", exept I am too lazy. :o

But it is quite simple, can be done in 30mins if need be.

Now...about those warning stickers???

P.S. Vectra CDXi - your next!

Glenn

Well done, hope you enjoy em........I absolutely love mine :)