PDA

View Full Version : GOOD, bright, long-distance foglights

Kippa-Dee
14th January 2007, 10:23 PM
Greetings guys.

I'll most likely be making a number of seriously long-distance drives over the coming months/years; talking 3 or 4 hours at 110km/h into country with no street lights... And I'm looking for something with a little bit more balls than my current brights. I've got Ultrabright aftermarket globes in there already which are awesome; but after something with a lot more throw for those long roads at 110km/h thru livestock areas.

Can anyone reccommend where to start looking for good stuff; without going the illegal/legal grey-aread HID's? (I'm not even sure they'd give enough distance anyway)

Cheers

Lt Ketch
14th January 2007, 11:12 PM
Freeway or "Other Roads"?

JR
14th January 2007, 11:38 PM
i drive between sydney n canberra every weekend - n lighting is very important for me - blasting through country roads at 110km/hr while wildlife play dodgeball!!

i had bought aftermarket foglights (http://blinglights.com/shopbling/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4094&CategoryProductId=5961) - they were projector style foglights. i gotta say, i was VERY disappointed with light throw. it didn't go far, and it didn't penetrate well into the roads. basically it was useless - crap.

i was told to use "driving lights", not "foglights".
foglights r designed to give a broader throw
driving lights r desgined to give a narrow, long throw

so as a result i'm changing mine to driving lights (http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/Performance_Lighting/FF_Series/FF50/FF50.jsp).

with a bigger globe (h7 as opposed to h3 used in the foggies), i'm hoping for a big improvement frm my current ones.

MatsHolden
14th January 2007, 11:49 PM
That's it JR. Forget your foglights Kippa, they aren't designed for long throw. Look at upgrading your high beam globes and possibly fitting some driving lights such as IPF or Hella.

Cheers

dustbug
14th January 2007, 11:55 PM
Well, back in the old days my old man worked for good old Qantas and actually somehow came accross some boeing aircraft landing lights. Well he decided to fit two to the front of his subaru 4wd and one to the rear.

Maybe you should invest to a set of these.

Well i'm gathering this link is the updated version of his old ones.

http://www.xevision.com/

The livestock will see this light and start running the other way

Kippa-Dee
15th January 2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys. I'll start taking a look for them. The only reason I wanted to avoid HID's was the price... $500 or $600 for HID's seems a bit ludicrous, but maybe it's time to reconsider.

Lt Ketch
15th January 2007, 07:55 AM
Im looking at fitting these to my car!

http://ltketch.opelaus.com/uploadshow/Driving%20Light%20Setup.jpg

EL BURITO
15th January 2007, 11:30 AM
just need one of those platforms that sits above your licence plate. but if i had stayed up north i would have fitted some thing simerla to the Burito. but the fog lights on the C can be really good spottys for there location if u aim them right.

jerrypufflewell
16th January 2007, 09:32 AM
Looks good Ketch, try to get one wide-angle (keep the wildlife away :p) and one short-angle (long distance) ;)

btm
16th January 2007, 10:07 AM
with a bigger globe (h7 as opposed to h3 used in the foggies), i'm hoping for a big improvement frm my current ones.
could you put a H7 globe in the standard foggies?

jerrypufflewell
16th January 2007, 10:15 AM
i doubt it

JR
16th January 2007, 11:49 AM
could you put a H7 globe in the standard foggies?

no, u can't put H7s in standard foggies. won't fit, unless u dramatically modify the housing. then again, that would screw up the beam pattern.
there r some foglights which do use h7 globes - not many though.

i'm getting driving lights (http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/Performance_Lighting/FF_Series/FF50/FF50.jsp) - which r different to fog lights.

the driving lights i'm getting use H7 globes.

jerrypufflewell
16th January 2007, 05:24 PM
How much or those Hella's setting u back JR?

JR
16th January 2007, 07:20 PM
How much or those Hella's setting u back JR?

the lights cost me $80 plus $40 shipping AUD
shipping was a bummer :(

Kippa-Dee
8th February 2007, 04:21 PM
JR, how'd the FF50's work out? Any good? I'm either gonna grab them or just upgrade HID's for my car. But since I don't have seperate lights, I need the high-beam HID's so gonna cost around $600.. :(

JR
9th February 2007, 10:16 AM
JR, how'd the FF50's work out? Any good? I'm either gonna grab them or just upgrade HID's for my car. But since I don't have seperate lights, I need the high-beam HID's so gonna cost around $600.. :(

i haven't had a chance to install them yet - doing it this weekend. will let u know how it went after that.

yeah.....i thought bout HIDs, but decided against it.
true i'll get a more powerful light beam, but i won't get a long throw. my current projectors r fine - they provide a nice wide beam.
so i'll keep it as is. if i find CLEAR 100w H7 globes, i'll replace my 55W globes.

can't wait to connect up the Hella FF50s

JR
12th February 2007, 01:41 PM
FF50s r in - boi oh boi r they powerful!!

were really easy to mount.

its definately got a nice long narrow, however i'm a bit concerned about its light beam - its seems to b a quite tall, hence this might dazzle drivers directly infront of me.
i gotta adjust with the angles - to find the sweet spot.

pics r in my Member's Car Details section.

seldo
12th February 2007, 04:17 PM
From all this do I gather that the AH Astra uses H7 globes in the headlights? What about hi-beam?

Kippa-Dee
16th February 2007, 12:28 AM
How do they go on any sort of a distance? Has visibility increased dramatically?