PDA

View Full Version : Who has had their windscreen replaced ?

DirtyHarry
13th January 2007, 07:29 PM
hey guys,

just wondering who had their front windscreen replaced with an aftermarket one (not expensive original one from holden), and is there any difference.
IE. is there, that black surround, with dots near the edges of the windscreen?
Also were your upper and lower rubbers replaced?
Is the vision different through the aftermarket glass?
And who from and for how much?

And last but not least, does any one know what the differences are between and oem and aftermarket glass?

platypus
13th January 2007, 08:32 PM
And last but not least, does any one know what the differences are between and oem and aftermarket glass?

nothing....

the black surrounds are at the manufacturers discretion - normally they are there though!

most dealers recommend getting someone else to do it - they don't want to know!!!

DirtyHarry
13th January 2007, 09:01 PM
do you know if the aftermarket glass has that metal bracket for the rear view mirror or do they transfer it over from your original windscreen.

EL BURITO
14th January 2007, 03:23 AM
i read ablout a year ago on here that the AH is very lound when u go non oem on the windsceen. this was whne they 1st came out.

DirtyHarry
14th January 2007, 08:51 AM
my car is an astra g / ts.

it would be interesting why it would be louder. unless the plastic rubbers werent changed over for new ones and just reused.

platypus
14th January 2007, 01:55 PM
do you know if the aftermarket glass has that metal bracket for the rear view mirror or do they transfer it over from your original windscreen.

they take it over to the next windscreen and its glued on with a special UV activated glue - bloody strong stuff!!! We used to use it at work for making diving masks!

i read ablout a year ago on here that the AH is very lound when u go non oem on the windsceen. this was whne they 1st came out.

its more to do with poor workmanship - a lot of the time people don't seal the windscreens properly, which causes an air leak - noise=air coming in louder at speed

Dave
14th January 2007, 04:24 PM
hmm ive noticed no difference

Tfer
15th January 2007, 05:22 PM
My replacement windscreen for the Veccy C was from Windscreens O'Brien, and I have not noticed any difference :)

astrokidd
15th January 2007, 10:32 PM
i had a little whistling sound come through but it just wasnt sealed properly and was fixed when i brought it back. Other than that no difference either

DirtyHarry
16th January 2007, 02:15 AM
thanks guys. just wanted to get some info as i will eventually need to get my windscreen replaced.
cheers

J
17th January 2007, 11:04 PM
I've read somewhere that in modern cars, the windscreen is part of the safety structure of the car that gives it strength and rigidity, and that decreases dramatically when the replacement windscreen uses the wrong glue and/or the glue is not allowed the required amount of time to set.

Just keep that in mind when shopping around...don't automatically go for the place that gives you the fastest turnaround time, as it most likely cares more for profit than workmanship and safety :)

Regards,
Jeff

Insubordinate
17th January 2007, 11:12 PM
hahaha. YAY. my windscreen is covered by my insurance whatever the cost :p