PDA

View Full Version : Remap/Performance Mods

GreyRex
12th January 2007, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone,

Wanted all of your opinions. As a general rule... what exactly is a remap, and how effective are they? It seems to be very popular with turbo cars, but can anyone comment on it's effectiveness in a non-turbo engine (for example my Barina SRi 1.8). I've been reading up on the UK websites and just from a remap, they seem to be getting about 140bhp, which is about 103kw i think. That means around a 10kw jump. Any comments welcome. Im trying to work out if it's worth it, if it will effect the car in anyway, Insurance etc...

InsaneAsylum
12th January 2007, 02:48 PM
a map is basically the amount of fuel that gets pumped in depending on engine load and rpm... something like that anyway.

remapping the ecu would be changing these details without actually changing the ecu unit. ie. uploading new instructions to your ecu about how much fuel should be pumped in based on engine load to increase performance. sometimes cars don't always run the most efficient air:fuel ratio and by richening or leaning mixture at certains point, gains can be had

GreyRex
12th January 2007, 03:48 PM
On average, would it effect fuel consumption? And is it detectable? How much would you anticipate it would cost? As i said im weighing up my options, whether it's worth it or not:)

Tfer
12th January 2007, 04:11 PM
On average, would it effect fuel consumption? And is it detectable? How much would you anticipate it would cost? As i said im weighing up my options, whether it's worth it or not:)

Hey there Mizled_SRi, here is my advice... pm Turblue and Auzvectra, and you may be surprised of the amount of information that comes back ;)

Good luck with everything :)

InsaneAsylum
12th January 2007, 04:30 PM
yeah turblue or auzvectra will be your best bet.

the amount of gain will depend of what adjustments are made. i have had my car on the dyno with air:fuel analysis and in places it runs a bit too rich. i know that a remap would lean out these rich areas to create a better a:f mixture and hence more power. this of course is when the ecu is running in open loop, closed loop will always seek a ratio of 14.7:1 which is stoich. if it was running lean in areas, making the mixture richer should get more power. i think 12:1 is the ratio for to make the most power, and 14.7:1 is the ratio that creates least carbon dioxide emissions. somthing like that.

instead of a remap, some people use an interceptor like unichip or standalone engine management like motec. they all basically do the same thing... add the ability to customise the a:f ratio over the factory settings.

i'm not sure if turblue has a map for the siemens simtec 56.5 yet?

MatsHolden
13th January 2007, 01:44 AM
Yeh Turblue was looking at the 1.8 for a while there. You'd be looking at about $600ish. Obviously it does cause you're car to burn more fuel. More power = more fuel put simply. But it wouldn't be very noticeable on a 1.8L.

auzvectra
13th January 2007, 02:23 AM
hey we get advertising, thanks fella's :).
we are working on the 1.8L, which is the simtech 70/90.
typical gains as a rule of thumb are about 7-12% increase.
we should have 1 flashed and tested next weekend if all goes well we will have a dyno on the car that is done also, but remember not all cars will react the same way.
also with a remap u can actually get better fuel economy, just depends how u drive, i have 1 of the astra turbo's up here that i have tuned that gets as low as 4.7L/100km on the hway, and in the high 7L/100km bracket for combined.