PDA

View Full Version : The Barina SRi nearly went yesterday.....for a Colt Ralliart

pred8r
3rd January 2007, 10:03 AM
[background]
We were driving along chatting about cars, I liked the shape of the swift but apart from that knew nothing more about it. Car dealer on the way, so we stopped and have a look.
[end background]

Having a look and a discussion with dealer he says what are you after, we told him, he suggested a ralliart colt.....ok.......
he claims 0-100 in mid 6's (after research CLOSEST i can find is mid 7's)
6.5lt/100kms (comparible to barina)
and he'll (nice man that he is) will absorb the ORC so its $29,990 DA (which interestingly enough is what everyone is selling them for)

We have a think, he introduces us to the finance person who asks which car and how much (she didnt hear him properly and asks $28k?, he quickly corrected her) not that we'd even talked about price.

He arranges for someone to value my car.

She contacts my finance company, does a revs check etc. gets the payout figure.

He then asks are we going to pay the rego (we hadnt even considered this, but it is due on friday) and offers $11.5k, I said nope and go to get up, he asks what were you expecting, I said to him even the book value is 12.5, his reply 'books dont buy cars'.

As we were leaving I said to Mrs, 3wk old rims a $1.5k and $600 rego means he's offering $9.4k...

Like that was ever going to happen..... Prolly would have been offered $11.5k with the orig stocko's anyway, when the time comes, everything back to stock (except for the grille, of course)

Anyway done some more looking at $30k cars, theres a LOT available and some are quite quick, economic and recent models too. eg. Megane Sport 225, Astra CDTi.

Whatever I get must have Manuf. warranty (but it wont, at all, be from the dealer that effectively offers under $10k for my car) and 4 doors.

CJB
3rd January 2007, 10:08 AM
I sat in the back while Ash test drove a Colt Turbo... they aren't bad cars at all. I can see the appeal....

Forgetting money matters, and having owned a Mitsu myself, ok not a ralliart, but they aren't as good of build quality. I don't like them at all. There finish is nowhere near an Opel, even if your Barina is a few years old.

Having said that, with the tech it's got, it's a mad little car... and handles so well. The seats are awesome!

And IMO, thats an ok trade in price on your car. I was offered $6k for mine from Nissan when I got the Lancer - and even though just the base model, a lot newer and dealers say they dont look at mods when working out trade.

MatsHolden
3rd January 2007, 11:47 AM
That's expensive for a small car. Sure it's a ralliart but as you say pred there is plenty out there for that sort of money.

Ishley
3rd January 2007, 04:18 PM
It does seem pricey for a small car. But the technology that is in that car, is astonishing. The Colt is a 1.5 Turbo, the power output is... well what you would expect from a 1.5 turbo. But the drive is what blows you away.

You point the Colt and it goes, no screaming of tyres, nearly no body roll. It is truly a twisties car. And the seats rock :D .

I dare say have a drive and really give it some through some corners, you will enjoy the drive :D :D :D

btm
3rd January 2007, 04:46 PM
but its still a mitsubishi :confused:

blueraven
3rd January 2007, 04:48 PM
If your looking at "baby hot hatches" (lets face it, there are bigger ones eg: GTI, VXR, Megane etc..) then you should also check out the Polo Gti. Previous GTi's engine(so tuning it up to 180kw is easy..ish :D ), i loved the interior (leather only, the cloth is hideous) and also handled great. Great little car and i nearly bought one until the SRi T fell into my lap at a price i couldnt argue with.

Another "baby" hot hatch that you just cant rule out is the clio sport.. i test drove one of those, and it was VERY impressive.

blueraven
3rd January 2007, 04:49 PM

Nothing wrong with Evo's ;)

btm
3rd January 2007, 04:52 PM
is an Evo a mitsu??? who would have thought :rolleyes:

:p

Ishley
3rd January 2007, 04:54 PM
Remind me whats wrong... :)

Hmmmmm... Yummy

oneightoo
3rd January 2007, 05:06 PM
If your looking at "baby hot hatches" (lets face it, there are bigger ones eg: GTI, VXR, Megane etc..) then you should also check out the Polo Gti. Previous GTi's engine(so tuning it up to 180kw is easy..ish :D ), i loved the interior (leather only, the cloth is hideous) and also handled great. Great little car and i nearly bought one until the SRi T fell into my lap at a price i couldnt argue with.

Another "baby" hot hatch that you just cant rule out is the clio sport.. i test drove one of those, and it was VERY impressive.

yes but the clio is U.G.L.Y.

OPC
3rd January 2007, 05:12 PM
yes the megane is ugly but the sport is beautiful...

back on topic... im glad u didnt go with the colt as it is a box with a turbo

sure the front end looks hot but the rest is uuuugly...

if anything go with the polo... or even the mps 3 reeeow power

Ishley
3rd January 2007, 05:12 PM
You could probably find a near new 05 Corolla Sportivo for under $26000, with the remaining factory warrenty. They are an awesome car, and would put the Clio, Colt and Polo Gti for shame. Ask Donna she will have a glowing review, as do i.

Ishley
3rd January 2007, 05:16 PM
yes the megane is ugly but the sport is beautiful...

back on topic... im glad u didnt go with the colt as it is a box with a turbo

sure the front end looks hot but the rest is uuuugly...

if anything go with the polo... or even the mps 3 reeeow power

MPS 3 is out of the price range he suggested. I liked the awkward styling of the Colt and the Megane. Not many people like them so it makes you more of an individual. The Polo GTi is common as up here and it just looks so cute. As said you would have to option up leather, as tartan is just ugly

ultim8DTM5
3rd January 2007, 06:07 PM
I agree, the Pogo (Polo GTI) is a great car - my sister should be getting one next year. If only it had Recaros like the Colt...

Also take a look at the Punto Sport - you'll be quite surprised! It's a great little car with torque that goes forever.

phat-dave
3rd January 2007, 06:23 PM
bang for buck, i'd go the polo gti same as rjastra's with the upgraded chip for another $1.5k

i must admit i got a good chuckle from those who think a corolla sportivo would leave a clio, colt & polo for dead :clap:

blueraven
3rd January 2007, 06:41 PM
You could probably find a near new 05 Corolla Sportivo .... would put the Clio for shame.

erm...maybe on fuel economy, and maybe on looks, but certainly not on engine or handling. not a chance in hell.

rjastra
3rd January 2007, 07:20 PM
Corolla Sportivo? golly, my old SRi 2.2l would eat one in rolling acceleration. I am not sure what the point of the Sportivo was.

All the small hot/warm hatches are good. You can't lose with any of them I reckon.

Actually you could get into a Astra AH Sri for 30K.

Blue_Dvl
3rd January 2007, 07:30 PM
the corolla sportivo is a nice little hot hatch if you dont want the extra insurance of a turbo. The pick of the bunch would definately be the polo gti. Plenty of ECU tunes out there for them too for instant power.

Nothing against mitsubishi, or denying the colts technology/engine but YUK

pred8r
3rd January 2007, 07:33 PM
from a quick search of 0-100 (comparison vehicle, Corsa C SRi - 9.1)

BA XR6T - 6ish (out (kinda) - consumption. Why didnt they do this in a wagon?)
Megane Sport 225 cup - 6.5 (in still - VHTF and pricey)
Clio Sport 182 cup - 7.1 (out - 2dr)
Colt Ralliart - 7.5 (in still - but has no cruise control)
Corolla sportivo - all over the place most common was 8ish. I'll call it 8 flat (out - may be a nice car but nope)
Polo GTi - 8.2 (out - 2dr)
C2 VTS - 8.3 (out - 2dr)

Oh well barina stays FTM.
When I get more serious Ill spreadsheet all the values and see what comes up as best value for money at the time.

blueraven
3rd January 2007, 10:22 PM
what about the new astra turbo diesel then? 4 door and suprising perfomance!!

Charlatan
4th January 2007, 08:12 AM
You could probably find a near new 05 Corolla Sportivo for under $26000, with the remaining factory warrenty. They are an awesome car, and would put the Clio, Colt and Polo Gti for shame.

one can only assume you were being heavily sarcastic in that post

blueraven
4th January 2007, 09:17 AM
oh i agree that the sportivo is a good car, and yeah you will get an 05 for less than 26k, but it simply doesnt match up to some of the others.

OPC
4th January 2007, 09:56 AM
i think MR T should put his 2 bob in here about the sportivo cos i remember him telling me what they were like to drive...

in two words (if it was a turbo) i would put it down to... VERY LAGGY

GreyRex
4th January 2007, 10:05 AM
I have a teeeeeenie question...

If the Barina/Corsa SRi is 9.1, how come i can JUST keep up with non-turbo BA XR6's, and have my nose level with the rear bumper of VZ SV6's getting to 100? They're both 7.5 to 8ish. Is it because I don't have Traction Control, so there's no reduction of power?

It's funny... i think our SRi's aren't bad considering whats available now. That being said, love the feeling of a new car :cool:

Ishley
4th January 2007, 10:40 AM
The newest Clio Renaultsport version has 147kW, the Sportivo has 141kW standard. I had a CAI on mine which gave me another 6kW at the wheels, which puts me in line with the Clio.

The Spotivo has alot of power, with the added extra of a 5 door hatch rather then a 3 door. I will defend the car because unless you have driven one, you dont fully understand the car.

On a rolling start if you keep the car in lift, and can change gears properly the car will always land in lift keeping you in the power band. The Astra T only has 147kW, should both my old sportivo and the Astra T race side by side it would be anyones guess to who would win. So until the race has been done, no one should assume any car would win over another.

I was refering to the Sportivo having the fuel economy, the practacality of a 5 door hatch, the styling and the power when wanted and the scream from the engine when in lift is why i loved the car. Not to bag out other makes...

rjastra
4th January 2007, 10:56 AM
The Astra T only has 147kW, should both my old sportivo and the Astra T race side by side it would be anyones guess to who would win.

You keep quoting peak Kw figures. The Astra T would have at least 80% more torque than the Corolla and both Nm/kW peak much lower in the rev range.

Unless you keep the Corolla above the VVTi-L cutoff it produces no more kW/Nm than a normal 100kW Corolla. The powerband above this cutoff is ridiculously small (< 2000rpm)

SSS_Hoon
4th January 2007, 11:12 AM
A stock sportivo is well crap when compared to turbo cars the newer ones are better then the old ones that is for sure.

when a sportivo is modified though they become some decent power and still good on fuel if u keep it under the lift point.

a mate of mine had one with just a TRD cold intake kit and a rear muffler delete and it went ok, when stock my SSS had him but after the mods no chance.

We had a friendly drive side by side a sportivo in our GTI(well not really side by side but still) now our GTI is stock this sportivo had the TRD intake a full zorst and suspension mods and a few other mods and on take off was slow as all hell and i had him all over the shop, but when i slowed down and we were side by side and he was on cam we floored it he kept up not enough to win but still enough too impress me for a non turbo that is for sure.

i think the spreadsheet is the way to go and way up all the good points and bad points for each car your after and decide that way, not by what forums say about them.

SSS_Hoon

blueraven
4th January 2007, 12:26 PM
I will defend the car because unless you have driven one, you dont fully understand the car...

I test drove 2 before i bought the astra. Slow unless really thrashed, handling was ok, but not on par with my srit, and the one i drve the same day as the clio cup felt like a bus after i got out of the clio :)

I cant remember what my car was like when it was standard, but i still think it would easily outpace the corolla.

pred8r
4th January 2007, 12:54 PM
what about the new astra turbo diesel then? 4 door and suprising perfomance!!

I did mention this earlier, has someone got some figures?

Barina/Corsa SRi is 9.1, how come i can JUST keep up with non-turbo BA XR6's?
*SNIP*
It's funny... i think our SRi's aren't bad considering whats available now. That being said, love the feeling of a new car :cool:

I know exactly what you mean and have no idea as to why.
The SRi is a fantastic car for power/economy (and is quite quiet when you remove the factory tyres) which, from a 'upgrade' point of view, is making it SO hard, because in most cases its not really an 'upgrade', its a compromise.
If a car is as quick/quicker it uses more fuel or is no longer small.
Power figures dont mean much if my 92kw rocket is a second faster to 100km/h than a 93kw C2 VTS. If its economy is similar its usually slower. To get both in the same package it most likely wont have cruise control (Aftermarket is crap, I have one, crest a hill and I'm doing 20km/h over what i set it at).

The newest Clio Renaultsport version has 147kW, the Sportivo has 141kW standard. I had a CAI on mine which gave me another 6kW at the wheels, which puts me in line with the Clio.

The Spotivo has alot of power....*SNIP*

The Clio Sport 182 Cup has 131kw (or 182Bhp)
The Corolla Sportivo is out, no particular reason, it just does nothing for me.

dug74
5th January 2007, 12:57 AM
I think you should just choose the hot hatch that suits your needs and not really worry about power.

When i was choosing my new car, i test drove all the hot hatches...

I found the polo Gti to be the best *bang for your buck* .....but i ended up getting the flagship..

Mazda 3 MPS sports pack....they go well...fuel economy..<whats that> but are rather pricing...but you get everything.

pred8r
6th January 2007, 10:07 AM
Had a quick look at the MPS on carsales, if i was going to spend that kind of money id get one of these;

http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/5374832.jpg
or
http://images.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/5848440.jpg

*EDIT* After a quick online valuation (http://www.carsales.com.au/car-valuations/?N=593+4294965857%204294965773%204294961422%204294 940316&SelectedSingle=4294965773%204294961422%20429494031 6&search=1) on Carsales (http://www.carsales.com.au/) it says its worth $11.4k, so basically they offered $10.8k as the rego was due.

We've decided not to upgrade ATM, as theres too much shortfall on the payout and a few other reasons.
Maybe when it comes to trading the Van, I'll do a 2 for deal. Besides there may be a few more Diesels on the market.