PDA

View Full Version : A Word of Warning on Dealerships and Servicing

NXA-16H
2nd January 2007, 11:05 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I post this thread in the sincere hope that you may never suffer not only the inconvenience, but also the potential legal ramifications of a bad Motor Vehicle dealership transaction of mine. I'll tell you about it...

Over the past week, my wife and I decided to up-size from our current Barina to a 2001-plated Zafira TT Model, as shown at the bottom of this post. The particular Zafira that we concluded was best quality for best value was listed at a particular Toyota Dealership at ********, NSW.

We both inspected the vehicle several times, to the point of initiating negotiations over the selling price.

This is where the whole process got ugly...

Although the Vehicle had been in this dealership's lot for over three weeks, it had still not been serviced by the dealership, despite it being almost 7'000kms past its scheduled 60'000 Km Servicing.

This is where the dealership gets shonky...

1. Toyota Dealership first tries to convince me that the Zafira was indeed serviced, despite the engine oil being black and ashen.

2. Toyota Dealership then tries to play the situation down by showing me a checklist of what they supposedly did to the car.
(Note: 60'000Km Servicing not stamped in owner's Handbook at this point)

3. Toyota Dealership upon being notified that the transaction will not proceed, frustratedly agrees to "change oil and oil filter"

4. Dealership told that just "Oil and filter" not good enough, and that the ENTIRE servicing had to be done, with original GM-Parts.

5. Through gritted teeth, Toyota Dealership agrees to arrange servicing of Zafira at local Holden Dealership, for a final negotiated price of $17'000.00

6. Toyota Dealership notifies me today @ 14:00Hrs that Zafira has been serviced, and is ready for customer delivery.

7. I arrive at Toyota Dealership @ 17:00Hrs to complete purchase transaction. All documents from the Holden Dealership to the effect that the Zafira had its 60'000km servicing appears to be in order.

8. I take the initiative to make a final inspection of Zafira before taking delivery.

Upon inspecting the Zafira, I discover that...

1. Neither Engine Oil, NOR Oil Filter had been changed.
2. Spark Plugs not replaced
3. Pollen Filter not replaced
4. Other Engine fluids not checked for correct levels.
5. Tyre pressures not checked.
(Front right-hand tyre under-inflated. Possibly slow leak, or puncture.)
6. Interior cabin not cleaned or vacuumed
7. Vehicle overall not cleaned, washed, or detailed.

Despite all these points, I was told over the phone, as well as in person, that the Zafira was ready to drive away in.

Now, considering the fact that ALL of tese things were agreed in writing to be completed, in accordance with the purchase contract, both the Toyota dealership, as well as the Holden Dealership, are quite seriously leaving themselves open to litigation if this matter were not to be rectified quickly.

And yes, the Motor Vehicle Trader's Association, as well as the respective Chamber of Commerce and Consumer protection Office may very well be notified.

Now there are a number of morals to this story.

1. Never sign any purchase agreement until you have EVERY promise in documental form. Verbal agreements have no legal weight.

2. Never produce the final cheque for purchase until inspection has been made and any outstanding issues resolved.

3. Never assume, just on the strength of verbal or even documantal advice that a job, like this 60'000km servicing has been done. Double check everything anyway.

4. Never trust a used car salesman. He/she is paid to move cars, no matter what. Even if that means screwing a potential buyer up the @rse. They don't care.

NXA-16H

Tfer
2nd January 2007, 11:27 PM
Good luck with it.... and please keep us posted :)

SIMid
3rd January 2007, 08:59 AM
Surprising that it was from a reputable dealership than a small sidestreet vendor.

When I bought my Calibra over 3 years ago, the 2nd-hand dealer in Car City (EDM Motors) gave me the service history and in it, a Cambelt receipt, which me the peice of mind.

Bought the car, had a small problem and took it to my mechanic who had to get the timing belt cover off to inspect the problem and yes ..... belt not changed and was frayed, ready to snap. Went back to the vendor who basically told me that the belts needed changing every 10K and told me to "grow up". After many heated discussions, nothing was resolved so I gave up. Dodgy to the max.

Noone can be trusted when buying 2nd-hand cars from any vendors.

Charlatan
3rd January 2007, 11:55 AM
So you never signed for it? I assume you have just walked away from the whole deal now? Put the above in a letter to Toyota head office, copy to the dealer principal and find another Zafira to buy. Personally I wouldnt be interested in a car that missed a service by 7k.

All good advice in your thread. Never believe a car dealer, ever.

DirtyHarry
3rd January 2007, 02:10 PM
writing those letters will get you no where.
only place you can try is department of fair trading, however i dont think this will go far since you didnt buy the car.

MK
3rd January 2007, 02:17 PM
Lander Blacktown! (Nissan, Kia, Mitsubishi, Toyota) i almost bought Audi A3 from them before my Astra H...it also was from Lander Toyota Blacktown.

the car was also not washed and not cleaned inside when test driving it twice (!) the car engine "shaking" when idle at traffic lights...when asked the first time if this is going to be fixed i was advised the car is scheduled for a service in couple of days...so i came back a week later, the car was serviced (well the book stated so) but the "shaking" was still present and the car was still not detailed... i walked away...

beep beep sri
4th January 2007, 09:25 AM
haha boy have i got 1 for you guys. purchased a 308 vh sle a few years back (all my mates had one so why should'nt i?) i pay the deposit the car gets a roadworthy 2 days latter. so i go in pay for the car get it home start checking the oil power steering fluid and lastly the brake fluid. guess what! only just enough brake fluid to last me a couple of more stops. so i top it up and head back to the dealer VERY CAREFULLY aproach the mannager who say's the car has fail safes so if it runs outof fluid itll still stop. thats when i hit the roof. my dad was with me at the time and he had to step in or i was going to punch this guy out. he was puting my life and everyone elses life at risk by using a dodgy roadworthy person. in the end it was fixed but only after very lengthy discusions. it was the master cylender that was leaking and at first they also tried using a second hand one but i made a bit more noise and got a brand new one fitted.

NXA-16H
4th January 2007, 02:00 PM
haha boy have i got 1 for you guys. purchased a 308 vh sle a few years back (all my mates had one so why should'nt i?) i pay the deposit the car gets a roadworthy 2 days latter. so i go in pay for the car get it home start checking the oil power steering fluid and lastly the brake fluid. guess what! only just enough brake fluid to last me a couple of more stops. so i top it up and head back to the dealer VERY CAREFULLY aproach the mannager who say's the car has fail safes so if it runs outof fluid itll still stop. thats when i hit the roof. my dad was with me at the time and he had to step in or i was going to punch this guy out. he was puting my life and everyone elses life at risk by using a dodgy roadworthy person. in the end it was fixed but only after very lengthy discusions. it was the master cylender that was leaking and at first they also tried using a second hand one but i made a bit more noise and got a brand new one fitted.

Good for you. Now, here's an update on the Zafira.
(Yes, I took delivery of it yesterday afternoon.)

1. Upon taking delivery at approximately 13:00Hrs (after quite forthrightly expressing my chagrin at not only their less than endearing negotiation skills and language, but also their pathetic vehicle inspection standards), I take the Zafira to the Holden Dealership that supposedly performed its 60'000km servicing.

2. First service dept attendant who serves me tries to assure me that the oil in the engine was indeed brand-new and clean, despite the black filth the dipstick dredged up.
(Explanation was that the "discolouration" was due to "residue, left on the bottom of the sump from the previously drained oil", and that turning over the engine churns it through the new, clean oil.)

...Sorry, did I hear someone say BOLLOCKS? Good. Then I'm not deaf after all.

3. I arrive in Springwood NSW, and promptly exchange the old plates for new, Euro-Look ones. Zafira looks great with them on.

4. Arrive home @ approx 18:00 Hrs. Have a rest, dinner, shower. Give the Zafira a vacuum @ approx 21:00Hrs.

5. Turn over engine about this time with bonnet up. Notice a loud-ish rattling sound coming from the drive-belt area, assume it's the timing chain, as a Zafira, unlike a Barina, uses a chain, and not a Timing-Belt.

6. Wife and I leave home @ approx. 08:00Hrs, to arrive at Nepean Hospital Penrith by 09:00Hrs

7. Engine Warning Light comes up on the dash @ approx 08:15Hrs upon entering Hazelbrook, Great Western Highway. Wide range of expletives muttered at this point.

8. Journey cut-short at Springwood @ 08:30Hrs, when I report problem at Blue Mountains Holden Dealership and Workshop. Staff know me well, based on prevoius Fault-Code problems with Barina.

9. Book Zafira in for Diagnostics Test today @ 12:00Hrs. Continue journey to Nepean Hospital.

10. Leave Nepean Hospital @ approx. 11:00Hrs, arrive back at Blue Mountains Holden @ approx. 11:20Hrs. Re-explain nature of problem, and point out that Vehicle has not only a 3-month statutory warranty, but also 5-year Warranty from Toyota Dealership. Keys dropped-off at this point.

As I type this post, my clock reads 13;45Hrs. No telephone call yet from General Motors as to what the devil the problem is. I have my suspisions.

Wondering how long it'll take....

Piss'd-off to the Max.

NXA-16H

blueraven
4th January 2007, 02:43 PM
:D

Great photo!...sorry mate i have been in a similar situation and i know your pain...thats why i can laugh :D (cos i was ready to kill someone back then!)

whatever you do, dont take it back until everything has been fixed, take it for a 15 min drive after you get it, if your not happy go straight back to the dealership.

after everything that happened on the first day i would NOT have taken the car.

NXA-16H
4th January 2007, 05:28 PM
Ok, Update No. 2

1. Recieved telephone call from Blue Mountains Holden Dealership and Workshop today @ approx. 14:15Hrs. Three fault Codes retrieved from ECU, using their GM Diagnostics Computer known as "Tech-2".

2. Arrive back at Blue Mountains Holden Dealership and Workshop @ approx. 15:00Hrs. Nature of problem/s explained to me in a nutshell. Issued with computer-generated report.

Computer-generated report as follows:

* Check Fault Codes and Record.
* Brought Vehicle into Workshop and plugged Tech-2 in.
* Removed Trouble Codes from Computer (ECU) and found as follows:

* P1464 PRESENT - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range
Performance (Closed Valve)

* P0404 PRESENT - Exhaust Gas recirculation Circuit Range
Performance (Open Valve)

* P1171 NOT PRESENT

* Fuel Supply System lean during Power Enrichment.

Essentially, all this technical stuff means there is an issue with the Exhaust System, which is to some extent connected with the Air Intake System as well. Going by whatever other fault codes the original owner of this Zafira had attended to, I suspect there may be an issue with the Oxygen Sensor as well, leading to the engine running too lean, as the above mentioned report implies.

More to come.

NXA-16H

SSS_Hoon
4th January 2007, 05:29 PM
fun times ahead for you i predict.

hope it all ends well though.

SSS_Hoon

Tfer
4th January 2007, 05:53 PM
Amen to that.... I feel for you, but follow it through, and stick to your guns :mad:

platypus
4th January 2007, 08:42 PM
dirty EGR hopefully? just need a good clean up with carby cleaner

SSS_Hoon
4th January 2007, 08:52 PM
grr EGR is a dirty word hehe.

tha cause of alot of problems for my car.

SSS_Hoon

NXA-16H
4th January 2007, 10:41 PM
dirty EGR hopefully? just need a good clean up with carby cleaner

Aha! Excellent idea!

Thank you my friend. That may very well be the problem.

I'll certainly forward the suggestion on to my local GM-Workshop.

I will however keep you guys posted as to how I get on.

NXA-16H

platypus
5th January 2007, 07:58 AM
dirty EGR is horribly common fault on these opels... as well as the intake idle control thing