PDA

View Full Version : brake pads

RK
21st May 2004, 12:48 PM
do you guys use the standard holden ones?

or any performance ones. I'm look for ones that not only stop hard, but dont leave as much break dust as the standard ones.

Anonymous
21st May 2004, 01:28 PM
well i've got standard holden ones... and they're not the best.
might need to upgrade soon.

Anonymous
21st May 2004, 02:58 PM
But which brake pads to upgrade to?
I need to change my rear pads soon - won't be getting the Holden ones this time round.
Any recommendations/prices?

Aus-SRi
21st May 2004, 03:06 PM
All i will say is stay tuned for an exciting development/announcement in the next few days:)

Anonymous
21st May 2004, 03:14 PM
All i will say is stay tuned for an exciting development/announcement in the next few days:)LOL - good timing then ;)
*Sits and waits patiently in the corner*

RK
21st May 2004, 03:32 PM
:shock:

*goes and sits down patiently next to Enigma*

Dee
21st May 2004, 03:48 PM
i hate the standard ones :(

i washed my chromies after 3 days after they were fitted and the water was black.....

does anyone have a brand they can recommend?

RK
21st May 2004, 03:57 PM
take a seat in the corner with us, 11-SXI :P

Nem
21st May 2004, 04:15 PM
Might have to keep an eye on this thread since Ive given up washing my wheels. (What am I talking about I've given up washing my car :? )

/me bumps RK off his chair :twisted:

Hope this is something to do with forum sponsorship. Though I just splashed out on suspension so I hope its an ongoing thing.

Ben

SmellyTofu
21st May 2004, 06:44 PM
Just get urself a set of EBC street.. cheap as Holden gear. Stops as well though a bit harder in feel and no dust even after a few weeks without washing. Plus if it's a bit dirty, you can actually clean it off with a sponge. No more wheel acid!

BarinaSRi
21st May 2004, 07:06 PM
for my barina sri all i can get is lucas pads which are good

Degen-Astra
21st May 2004, 08:25 PM
Just get urself a set of EBC street.. cheap as Holden gear. Stops as well though a bit harder in feel and no dust even after a few weeks without washing. Plus if it's a bit dirty, you can actually clean it off with a sponge. No more wheel acid!

Agree There - Got the EBC street kevlar on the back...and SFA dust comes. :D

RK
21st May 2004, 09:43 PM
SFA dust?

Degen-Astra
21st May 2004, 10:06 PM
Sweet F**K All. :mrgreen:

dug74
22nd May 2004, 12:05 PM
i got rid of my standard brake pads when i bought my 17" becoz they would dust up every 2 days.. i was recommended Bendix Gold or something like that...top of the range about $149 for front.. they produce no dust and have excellent stopping power with no brake fade or heat up. :)

RK
22nd May 2004, 03:00 PM
hmm. nice.

astra_city
22nd May 2004, 04:35 PM
I haven't had personal experience but people I know say that Pagid brake pads are excellent. Although I think that they are pretty costly.

RK
23rd May 2004, 06:39 PM
okay. what are the BEST BRAKE PADS money can buy?
someone owes me a favour so money is of no concern on this occasion.

Anonymous
23rd May 2004, 06:46 PM
I have Pagid Kevlar on the Front.
And If ya seen a Before and After from Yesterday of Dust, Its a Definate Sweet F A
Affair. And Today it copped a Hiding around Cardinia Water Catchment Dam, Still Bugger all Dust :)

ultim8DTM5
23rd May 2004, 08:20 PM
I'm not concerned about dust, rather how well they stop and how long they last.

anicorsa
23rd May 2004, 08:23 PM

But no dust would be nice right??

Aus-SRi
23rd May 2004, 09:43 PM
as i said, stay posted:) in the next few days hopfully there will be an exciting announcement:) just be a little more patient ok :)

RK
23rd May 2004, 09:49 PM
patient?
tell that to my squealing breaks and the 10 layers of brake dust on my wheels :)

Aus-SRi
23rd May 2004, 10:08 PM
lol, shouldnt be too much longer lol... in the next couple days hopefully

ultim8DTM5
23rd May 2004, 10:26 PM

Depends on how lazy you are, although I've got no problem giving them a wipe before I drive out of the garage with the bucket of water that the hot water tank drips into!

anicorsa
24th May 2004, 12:12 AM

Depends on how lazy you are, although I've got no problem giving them a wipe before I drive out of the garage with the bucket of water that the hot water tank drips into!

Its more annoying when you have wheels like these... It takes me longer to clean the wheels than it takes to clean the actual car.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ayap72/corsa/corsa07.jpg

astra_city
24th May 2004, 12:26 AM
kid_sri...how to you like your Pagid pads?? Do you mind me asking how much about? I'm going to upgrade the pads on my City in the future...thinking either EBC, Racebrakes, Bendix or Pagid

SmellyTofu
24th May 2004, 06:13 AM

There's more to life than cleaning the car.. and that's driving it. :)

anicorsa
24th May 2004, 11:38 AM
lol, shouldnt be too much longer lol... in the next couple days hopefully

Am i smelling another famous Gianni group buy??? :P

*Sits and waits in anticipation...* :shock:

RK
24th May 2004, 11:44 AM
anicorsa: i love that Irmscher badge on the side. is the other sides one italicised the other way?

anicorsa
24th May 2004, 11:49 AM
anicorsa: i love that Irmscher badge on the side. is the other sides one italicised the other way?

Yeah, its the other way on this side...

Still looks ok IMHO... Everyone's gotta have a bit of rice.. :wink:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ayap72/corsa/corsa05.jpg

Anonymous
24th May 2004, 12:09 PM
kid_sri...how to you like your Pagid pads?? Do you mind me asking how much about? I'm going to upgrade the pads on my City in the future...thinking either EBC, Racebrakes, Bendix or Pagid

Wth ABS they work good when Cold. Once ya give it a Few Corners Hard and they get some Heat, Then thats when the Fun Starts :D
I can't remember how Much they were, They were no more than $300(Editted), Coz Dad bought them and he's a Tight RS. I know he got them From I thinks called Race Brakes on Racecourse Rd(Melb). And they're Ceramic not Kevlar, Hence the Minimal Dust.
I think I might to EBC, Coz I heard that Pagid(RS4-2) Eat ya Discs to Buggery.

RK
24th May 2004, 12:19 PM
anicorsa: ahh. not bad. how much were those badges? also, do you clean your wheels with a toothbrush? cuz theyre VERY freakin clean!

RK
24th May 2004, 12:20 PM
dont kevlar has less dust, KID?

Anonymous
24th May 2004, 12:33 PM
dont kevlar has less dust, KID?

They all leave Dust.
Stock= Mega Dirty
Kevlar(EBC, Etc)= Dusty but way less than Stock
Ceramic(Pagid, Etc)= Around the same if not Less Dust than Kevlar, But thats My Opinion.

Now everyone is on the Subject of Brake Pads, I been looking at Mintex Pads(UK) They seem to be Reasonably Priced and Perform Well.

dug74
24th May 2004, 01:02 PM
When i was in melb i purchased Bendix pads and on the box it said DUSTLESS...its true becoz i never have to wash my wheels from dust only dirt and tar. There was a grade up from mine but the guy told me they contain copper particles and eat the disc away.

Bendiz Advantage are the ones i have have.

RK
24th May 2004, 01:31 PM
interesting. i'd prefer to go with bendix. if i can find a good one from em.

RK
24th May 2004, 01:41 PM
is that Benix Advance?

anicorsa
24th May 2004, 02:21 PM
anicorsa: ahh. not bad. how much were those badges? also, do you clean your wheels with a toothbrush? cuz theyre VERY freakin clean!

Badges were roughly 5pound if i remember correctly.

got them from http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/default.aspx along with a few other things, fuel cap cover, door pins, cant remember what else.

How did i get them clean? Meguiars wheel cleaner and ALOT of elbow grease. Im thinking of getting a high pressure water cleaner just for my wheels.

Anyway, back to pads. I had it down to Racebrakes and EBC, but these Bendix ones are looking interesting. Will have to look into it, as my pads only have a 2-3 months left in em.

Anonymous
24th May 2004, 03:59 PM
All the NSW People Try: http://www.bsmsport.com.au
They stock alot od Brands of Competition Brake Pads, Pagid,Mintex,Ferodo and Endless.
Ferodo Pads are looking to be my Next Set. Reasonably Priced and Good Quality.

Aus-SRi
24th May 2004, 04:07 PM
anicorsa, stop sniffing :) lol, oh and hopefully you wont have to sniff for too much longer:)

dug74
25th May 2004, 04:12 PM
is that Benix Advance?

Here read about it..

Bendix Advance (http://www.bendix.com.au/_products_advance.asp)

dug74
25th May 2004, 04:14 PM
Metal King Plus were not recommended to me as they eat away your disc...

if you want top performance...go Ultimate... but they are pricey :mrgreen:

RK
25th May 2004, 10:04 PM
yeah. read about advance. dont really care of eating away disc. if it gets bad. i'll jsut get bigger rotors/calipers put in :)

main two things im looking for is good stopping power, and minimal dust.
im not gonna go racing or anything like that, so i dont need the ultimate stopping power.. but anyways... i'll sit and wait for Aus-SRi for the time being :)

ultim8DTM5
25th May 2004, 10:40 PM
You need an engineering cert if you are going to touch the calipers

RK
26th May 2004, 09:29 AM
i think i can get a dodgy engineering cert from my cousins friends friends cousins uncle. :)

XXX-1.8T
26th May 2004, 12:25 PM
Im tossing up between the Ferrodo DS2500 and the Racebrakes 74's

I currently have EBC Greenstuff and not too happy with them

My driving style is drive it like u stole it half the time (not in residential areas or school zones) but i do drive agressive on the street

Ive tracked the car once may do it again see what happens

Any recommendations?

cheers
Costa....

ultim8DTM5
26th May 2004, 01:24 PM
I've got RB74s and I love them, they are awesome pads with great bite. They are running fairly low now so I'm considering going to DS2500s for comparison next.

Never had a big problem wiith dust, then again my wheels are the stock 7 spoke (thick) design, and I do rather hard driving/braking. Pads have lasted about 25,000kms although I was told 10,000kms ago they were at 35-40% :lol:

XXX-1.8T
26th May 2004, 02:48 PM
My EBC's lasted 2.5 years which is great but crap pads

heard mixed reports about the DS2500 that they are crap when they are cold and can glaze ur disc and pads

have u tracked ur car?

ultim8DTM5
26th May 2004, 04:07 PM
Nah never got around to it, part laziness part cbf'd :D

I personally hate EBC but thats me, I'd look also to Hawk whom I've heard good reports about and Pagid Blue, but the price of Pagids scare me somewhat.

How about DS3000s?

XXX-1.8T
26th May 2004, 05:16 PM
I think ive decided RB74's - $160 its cheap and if they are crap ill get some others ;)

Was going to go for Pagid Blues but for $450 a pair im like :shock:

See what happens 8)

Anonymous
26th May 2004, 05:27 PM
Gianni, we're still waiting... :lol:

ultim8DTM5
26th May 2004, 05:40 PM
Let me know what you think of them :)

Dregger
26th May 2004, 06:58 PM
we should know by the end of the week.....hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!

XXX-1.8T
31st May 2004, 01:34 PM
Im officially rooted :(

No one makes pads for my car (or they do but no one bothers to bring them in :( )

Anyone know where i can get mintex or porterfield pads from :twisted:

RK
31st May 2004, 01:37 PM
we should know by the end of the week.....hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!

any updates??

Anonymous
31st May 2004, 01:51 PM
Im officially rooted :(

No one makes pads for my car (or they do but no one bothers to bring them in :( )

Anyone know where i can get mintex or porterfield pads from :twisted:

Try http://www.bsmsport.com.au
There in NSW Some where, They Sell Mintex,Pagid,Ferodo and Brembo Brake Parts.
Its worth checking out.

XXX-1.8T
31st May 2004, 04:06 PM
tried them already :shock:

This was verdict of what available for my car :twisted:

Pagid Blue - $450!

Ferrodo DS2500 - $260!

So i went the Mintex Reds :mrgreen: $55US so they should get here for around $100AUD

Man i love America for parts :lol:

Apparently they are as good as the ferrodo's 8)

heres a review:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=803192

if they are crap so what ill buy the Ferrodos :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
31st May 2004, 05:58 PM
For $100 your laughing anyway!

Dregger
31st May 2004, 08:39 PM
not as yet.....but i'm still expecting some confirmation soon.

RK
23rd June 2004, 10:22 AM
Any news on this deal?

Another question.
If i want to replace my entire rotor and calipers.. what happens to ABS and Traction Control?

Aus-SRi
23rd June 2004, 01:02 PM
Unfortunatelty the person im dealing with has gone on a nice holiday :) so not sure how soon i will find out nething, but as soon as i do you will all be the first to know.

corsaboy
6th July 2004, 02:54 PM
With EBC/ Endless they work best when you purchase the rotors that they make for them Top of the Line Bendix pads are the "Ultimate" On mine I have Heavy Duty "Metal Kings" on hard braking - lots of brake dust. But I have those for yonks. Be careful though, with harder compound brake pads, if you use them on standard disc brakes, they can warp the discs. I have had DBA Rotors replace the standard ones, so they work quite well.

XXX-1.8T
6th July 2004, 02:58 PM
Im getting my Mintex Reds put on this week, let u guys know how i go :)

woody
6th July 2004, 03:31 PM
**Woody reads the thread then settles down with a good book to await the exciting if not somewhat elusive news!!**

OzzySRi
6th July 2004, 05:11 PM
the 'RaceBrakes' RB74's arent too bad. Relatively clean (with DBA slotted rotors) great bite when warm but a little 'wooden' when cold. I hammered them at Wakefield... ABS kickin hard on most corners :) and they took it well. The pedal lost its firmness by lap 3 (could be the std brake fluid) but the bite stayed the same. longest i stayed out was bout 10 laps... no probs.

Shazza
30th July 2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry to dig this thread up ppl, but my Astra is due for new brakes, and I dont necessarily want to get them from Holden.

Aus-SRi, any news on the group buy?

lee683
31st July 2004, 02:00 PM
ive got some brand new bendix metal kings for sale in the for sale section

Shazza
31st July 2004, 07:54 PM
yeah, but they aint for an astra.
Anyone have any news?

Degen-Astra
1st August 2004, 01:51 PM
No news on the group buy Shazza.

Try - www.autospeed.com.au
They have an online shop and sell EBC pads.

Depending also what state your in you could try http://www.racebrakes.com.au
I beleive thats where Kid_SRi got his Feroddo pads for the front.

Shazza
1st August 2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks mate, I'll check em out!

GAZ914
2nd August 2004, 11:56 AM
I have just put in a set of EBC greens front/EBC standard Rear on my Beep Beep.
I have no complaints, good from cold and seem OK warm.

I have not tried any them on a track and I am not hard on brakes anyway (originals lasted 62 000 kms).

Dust seems less than stock, but they have only been in a few weeks.

Overall, as good as standard for road use and probably better when hot.

Degen-Astra
2nd August 2004, 11:59 AM
EBC greenstuff is what i had and were similar to standard when cold, once i got a bit of heat in them...thats when they pulled up nice.

MiksOpel
2nd August 2004, 05:58 PM
* Waiting in line

Dregger
2nd August 2004, 06:42 PM
unfourtunatly guys it doesn't look like much is happening....if anything does. i'll let you know.