PDA

View Full Version : car PC - IDE to CF adapter; who needs a HDD?

pred8r
2nd January 2007, 10:29 AM
Anyone doing a car PC check this out for a cool idea to eliminate a HDD

http://www.mittoni.com.au/compactflash-cf-ide-adapter-25-vertical-direct-type-44pin-p-2436.html

jerrypufflewell
2nd January 2007, 03:34 PM
Hey that's cool, wonder if there's a serial one somewhere...

Lt Ketch
2nd January 2007, 04:02 PM
If I understood it I bet I would be impressed! :)

stevedee3
2nd January 2007, 04:23 PM
If I understood it I bet I would be impressed! :)It's an interface that makes a Compact Flash card (as used in digital cameras) look like a hard disk (as normally used in PCs). The advantage is that CF cards have no moving parts to get damaged in an automotive environment.

JohnBu
2nd January 2007, 04:36 PM
you're better off using a USB flash drive..

no adapter required and is cheaper to boot..

Tfer
2nd January 2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry... I am lost.... way to technical for me :confused:

Clint
2nd January 2007, 10:53 PM
i agree with usb flash drives, a usb flash drive is typically cheaper than a CF card, and they do not require any extra adapters.

i have a carpc, and i am happy with having a hard drive. its an 80gb, and i do not think i could live with any less than about 50 or 60gb. that is an amoutn no usb or cf drive could offer. having 80gb is nice, 10,000 mp3's, 1,000 music videos, and still 10 or 20 gb free for other things, i've got a few movies on there too at the moment.

it is a good idea, but they do not offer the space, but i believe some cf cards do have moving parts? ive seen some that work on the same concept of a hard drive, just the size is scaled down to the cf card standard size, so once again still the problem of moving parts.

Nem
3rd January 2007, 01:49 AM
Big problem is that CF doesnt have good R/W speeds and they are easily thrashed by it. You really need to set up a RAM drive and extract the image from the CF card rather than using it as a traditional HDD.

JohnBu
3rd January 2007, 12:55 PM
unless you've a spare 3.5inch hard drive.. u may prefer to use 2.5inch notebook laptop as they are alittle more forgiving on bumps in the car environment.

Dave
3rd January 2007, 09:53 PM
Has anyone ever killed a hdd in a car before?

Clint
3rd January 2007, 09:58 PM
more so, how many people have had a hdd pernamentally mounted in their car? i do but its only been for the last 3 or 4 months, no problems so far, and im hoping not to encounter any either!

Dave
4th January 2007, 05:05 AM
hmm yeah, there shouldnt be many problems with the newer ones if you drive normaly etc.

But with spirited driveing or in the event of an accident they may suffer.

There not that expencive any way, just keep a image file handy and replace them as needed or make some soft rubbery vibration absorbing mount for the whole unit :cool:

For a simple car pc i gues you could just mount an bootable image on a cd rom and use that and just throw in a thumbdrive or 2 for music if you want a realy toughf one.

Clint
4th January 2007, 01:28 PM
my only problem if i did that is i have about 60gb of music and music videos, plus whatever movies are on there