PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 1.8L Turbo Conversion

DirtyHarry
28th December 2006, 12:32 AM
Interesting 1.8l turbo conversion. However looks like the a/c isnt put back on.
I wonder if he's strenghened the gearbox and drive shafts.

http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88845

In the great words of Borat...."Iz Niccceee"

astragsi4x4
28th December 2006, 05:32 AM
the turbo seems a little low down for the right amount of oil return flow, and the cooler seems to be from a mk4 golf/a3/tt but if it works and he's happy with it. not sure i would be though does'nt seem to be any electronic equipment to control the fueling on boost!!! bad idea

platypus
28th December 2006, 08:22 AM
the turbo seems a little low down for the right amount of oil return flow, and the cooler seems to be from a mk4 golf/a3/tt but if it works and he's happy with it. not sure i would be though does'nt seem to be any electronic equipment to control the fueling on boost!!! bad idea

agree a little low, not for oil return, but rather for bounce factor - this is why you need to run down after driving to avoid coking esp with this mount... would be very good as plod won't see this sort of thing unless looking hard

and no electronic equipment? look just below the new intake manifold there
there was also some new injectors..
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/552/dsc025237up.jpg
the only thing i see missing from this is a new fuel pump, but not knowing the specs of the old, she'll be sweet i'm sure

InsaneAsylum
28th December 2006, 08:37 AM
hey it's the dbilas kit.... you do realise it's AU$12000

Lt Ketch
28th December 2006, 09:51 AM
hey it's the dbilas kit.... you do realise it's AU$12000

Thats a lot of money!!!!

InsaneAsylum
28th December 2006, 10:26 AM
it requires a software flash that comes with the kit

i'm sure the the kit is also sold by regal, as well as directly from dbilas

http://dbilas.com/dbilas_eng/index.htm

the kits range from 4000 to 5000 euro

which is between 6000 and 8000 australian

sorry my mistake. i believe that the price regal charges equates to AU$12000

it's still expensive, but a very neat kit

blueraven
28th December 2006, 11:02 AM
note the kit does not contain:

- forged pistons (1k+ labour)
- forged rods & bolts(1k+ labour)
- uprated clutch(800 + labour)
- uprated anything for the drive line gearbox/LSD/driveshafts etc..(er..lots!)

The kit is still an excellent kit, but keep in mind the above if you dont want to keep breaking stuff :)

astragsi4x4
29th December 2006, 05:56 AM
agree a little low, not for oil return, but rather for bounce factor - this is why you need to run down after driving to avoid coking esp with this mount... would be very good as plod won't see this sort of thing unless looking hard

and no electronic equipment? look just below the new intake manifold there
there was also some new injectors..
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/552/dsc025237up.jpg
the only thing i see missing from this is a new fuel pump, but not knowing the specs of the old, she'll be sweet i'm sure

i was thinking more along the lines of a map sensor....... for fuelling and ign on and off boost

platypus
30th December 2006, 12:04 PM
use the factory maf - you need a fair amount of boost to push this one out

astragsi4x4
31st December 2006, 03:58 AM
use the factory maf - you need a fair amount of boost to push this one out

fair point i suppose, not the best way to control a turbo engine though!

cyclonic
31st December 2006, 04:19 AM
I'll deffo say its a "if money was no object" kit...
However, its fully engineered and is pretty much bolt on, though the ECU will need to be reflashed as per blueraven's comment.

Nice!

Now, where's that lotto win....

DirtyHarry
31st December 2006, 10:08 AM
i think the kit comes with a ecu. its right there in the middle.

platypus
1st January 2007, 10:18 AM
fair point i suppose, not the best way to control a turbo engine though!

why not????

astragsi4x4
2nd January 2007, 11:51 AM
why not????

if its just through the amount of air the maf sensor's its a bit primative on the other hand if it does have an ecu with a map sensor in it like the vaux one for the clet's then thats better thats also got a knock sensor for pre-ign. the ecu for the zlet's is more advanced than the clet's for emmission reasons.

if it runs a small amount of boost then fine but tell me who would spend that amount of money to run a little boost without wanting more!

hands up all those who have a turbo car and don't wan't more power then you come back to the point that was made earlier forged pistons uprated clutch uprated drive train.

the bolt on kits seem a good idea at the time but thats why turbo versions of cars are more expensive because of the improvements and engine saftey feature's that have been made.

astragsi4x4
2nd January 2007, 11:55 AM
then again if you do wan't to turbo your n/a engine you could just buy a turbo and manifold (or make a manifold) a pair of webber carbs and a manifold a turbo kit from webber for the carbs and use that, make a plenum and your pipe work and your done at about half the cost of the kit