PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

tim_
23rd December 2006, 11:26 PM
I'm looking into purchasing the primed, smooth side mouldings for my astra ah cd, as i want silver mouldings, but not with crappy textured plastic, do you think it would be cheaper to purchase the parts from holden and then ahve them painted and fitted, or to see if a panel beater can source them however they do it and buy them as a complete painted set? if that makes sense...

MatsHolden
23rd December 2006, 11:57 PM
Have your existing side rub strips painted. The panel beater can sand back the bumps for a smooth finish.

tim_
24th December 2006, 12:10 AM
:( i have to wait til after christmas to ring lol
how depressing. i'm guessing it will be about $500

Petey
24th December 2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Tim,
I got a quote over a year ago from Holden spare parts (Alan Mance in West Footscray if I recall correctly) for the primed bump strips... They were over $100 - $105 each & ready to be painted, from the CDX Astra. I didn't go ahead with it as I'm still uncertain about having the one colour throughout the car. May give you an idea of the cost. Add painting them (paint & labour) and it gets up there...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all...

Blue_Dvl
24th December 2006, 06:45 PM
mate i am going to get my TS done after xmas. I previously had my x-trail moulds color coded, they were textured but i didnt have them modified in any way just painted. Went to my local panel shop and it Cost me $50 a mould painted so $250 all up. I also changed the door handles, which i purchased from nissan painted as they are quite tricky to dissassemble for painting. That part wasnt cheap.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year to All

tim_
24th December 2006, 08:05 PM
might have to track down a spray painter. $50 per moulding isn't too bad, but I really want them smooth. And as for door handles, i can purchase those funky ones from holden if it's going to be a **** for a spray painter to do.

24th December 2006, 09:52 PM
They are easy enough to smooth out - the bodyshop would use a primer filler rubbing down a few times to get to a smooth finish. Very simple for even a DIY.

EL BURITO
25th December 2006, 12:02 AM
i have been quoted $700. for side strips and the bumper strips but the cheaper quote i got i didnt trust wat they were going ot do even thou it was less than 1/2 the price

Blue_Dvl
26th December 2006, 07:10 PM
yeah if you purchase the moulds brand new and add painting on top of that works out to close to $800 which is a bit much

tim_
26th December 2006, 07:31 PM
depends how i go with a quote for having them just painted. el burito says $700, which isn't that much less. I can't wait for tomorrow when i can actually find out!

daiflu
29th December 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm going to get around to doing mine soon DIY.
The question I have is; How do you remove the rear strip on the 2Drs? Do you need to remove the rear interior, as with the doors?
In the haynes workshop manual it has how to remove both off the 4Dr but not the hatch.
So who's done it??

blueraven
29th December 2006, 10:50 PM
i had all the strips done on my calibra for $350. i took them all off and took them in, the rubbed them back slightly, then used a few coats of spray filler to fill them in .. then rubbed them back and painted them. I have done this myself before, and the hardest part is buying a good colour match, would take a person at home about 2 days to do a proper job, allowing for drying time inbetween coats/sanding etc.

tim_
29th December 2006, 11:22 PM
$350 isn't unreasonable.