PDA

View Full Version : Lexus... are they a real luxury brand in comparison

Blue_Dvl
22nd December 2006, 08:34 PM
Hey guys. Just though i would post the question, do you think Lexus are now a true Luxury Brand as the big germans BMW Mercedes and Audi??? or are they just expensive toyota's???

I personally think whilst they are a excellent quality built car I still believe them to be slightly over priced for what are escentially toyota's.

Tfer
22nd December 2006, 08:47 PM
I think their technology appears to be up there, but deep down, know them to be jazzed up Toyotas (not that appears to be a problem though).

The down side is you can by a Toyota Celsior, Aristo or Soarer as a grey import, with Toyota badges emblazoned everywhere, for a fraction of the new car price.

At the end of the day though, as good as they may very well be, they just lack the personality of a European brand.

But *respect* to anyone who has chosen a Lexus as their ride, as they are way cheaper and seem to go as well as a Beemer or Merc :)

SSS_Hoon
22nd December 2006, 09:37 PM
I think their technology appears to be up there, but deep down, know them to be jazzed up Toyotas (not that appears to be a problem though).

The down side is you can by a Toyota Celsior, Aristo or Soarer as a grey import, with Toyota badges emblazoned everywhere, for a fraction of the new car price.

At the end of the day though, as good as they may very well be, they just lack the personality of a European brand.

But *respect* to anyone who has chosen a Lexus as their ride, as they are way cheaper and seem to go as well as a Beemer or Merc :)

or are the toyota's dulled down lexus's?

SSS_Hoon

Tfer
22nd December 2006, 09:39 PM
or are the toyota's dulled down lexus's?

SSS_Hoon

Hadn't thought about it like that.... *ponders* good point :confused: maybe

Poogene2001
22nd December 2006, 09:58 PM
Surely you could point the same finger at most of the luxury brands these days... Are Jaguars just spiced up Fords? Are Audis and Lamborghini's just expensive VW's?
The current range of Lexus cars are engineered, designed and marketed completely seperately from Toyota. The only thing they share is a fantastic reputation for reliability & build quality and where the profits go.
I'd have GS450h over a 5 series, A6 or E-Class any day.

Diabolical
22nd December 2006, 10:06 PM
Will always be expensive Toyota's to me, plus every person who owns a Lexus appears to think the own the road.

Poogene2001
22nd December 2006, 10:44 PM
Will always be expensive Toyota's to me, plus every person who owns a Lexus appears to think the own the road.

Do you mean compared to those considerate Mercedes and BMW drivers?

MatsHolden
22nd December 2006, 11:00 PM
Hadn't really been in a Lexus until recently, in a '04 IS300 and all I can say is I was dissapointed. Quality not what I expected. No different to a Toyota inside. The chrome had worn of the door handles, plastics had begun to wear. Was just ordinary.

xplosv57
22nd December 2006, 11:02 PM

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA Nice call!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do consider Lexus to be a threat to the euro counterparts as their luxury appointments can match and have alot of technology up their sleeve, it just comes down to personal preference really!!!!

Tfer
22nd December 2006, 11:11 PM
LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA Nice call!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do consider Lexus to be a threat to the euro counterparts as their luxury appointments can match and have alot of technology up their sleeve, it just comes down to personal preference really!!!!

Good call Steve.... good choice of words *respect*:D

Poogene2001
23rd December 2006, 09:30 AM
Hadn't really been in a Lexus until recently, in a '04 IS300 and all I can say is I was dissapointed. Quality not what I expected. No different to a Toyota inside. The chrome had worn of the door handles, plastics had begun to wear. Was just ordinary.

It's only really the late 2005 and 2006 models that have begun to differentiate themselves from their Toyota heritage. Until that point, I agree with you completely... they were nothing more than tarted up, bling camry's. The worst example being the ES300 (ie : http://autos.rnr.id.au/MotorShow05/Lexus_ES300_7338.JPG )which was just damn ugly!!

Misguidedangel
23rd December 2006, 09:42 AM

bahahahahaha... so considerate :D especially with the optional indicators most of them come with these days..

For me lexus is ten times better than toyota, although i am a little biased.

5 years ago we purchased our first lexus, coming from having peugots, it was a remarkable change and the sturdiness of the car was awesome. it was an IS200 and as stated before, that car was still made under toyota but badged as lexus. We traded that car in, and dad's calais, for 2 brand new IS250s this time last year, the built quality is still awesome compared to the IS200. These two cars are built separately from Toyota and still manage to have the awesome quality, perhaps even better than the IS200. The handling and power of the car, suffice my dads need for a power, and suffice my mums lead foot, haha.

I think it all depends on if you've driven one, lived with one, or just seen them on the road.

Like I said i'm biased...

ultim8DTM5
23rd December 2006, 11:34 AM
I think you guys are forgetting that the 3-series and C-class are the equivalent of Falcon and Commodore in Europe. Only thing saving the locals is tax, and lots of it and thats the exact reason why the local marketers have to justify why a German-badged Falcon costs $55,000.00.

Put it in perspective and look past the badge; anything below a 5-series and a 3-series is not a luxury car. Both brands are "diluting" their lines anyway - check out the 1-series and the A-class.

A 318i costs $36,900.00 off the showroom floor in Germany. Compared to a Commodore or a Falcon of the same price, it does buy you fit and finish that the locals still envy.

Tfer
23rd December 2006, 11:36 AM

Tehehehahahahahahahaha *falls off chair in a fit of laughter* Oh I love it, but so very true. ;)

MatsHolden
23rd December 2006, 11:40 AM
I think you guys are forgetting that the 3-series and C-class are the equivalent of Falcon and Commodore in Europe. Only thing saving the locals is tax, and lots of it and thats the exact reason why the local marketers have to justify why a German-badged Falcon costs $55,000.00.

Put it in perspective and look past the badge; anything below a 5-series and a 3-series is not a luxury car. Both brands are "diluting" their lines anyway - check out the 1-series and the A-class.

A 318i costs $36,900.00 off the showroom floor in Germany. Compared to a Commodore or a Falcon of the same price, it does buy you fit and finish that the locals still envy.

Don't Mercesdes C-Class owners hate it when someone refers to their pride and joy as a German Taxi... haha. Really though I don't see the massive fuss of fit and finish of Mercedes interiors. The VE Commodore's quality of fit and finish is right up with the best these days, particularly the Audi like panel gaps.

Blue_Dvl
23rd December 2006, 04:07 PM

Yeah that is true..... we have a few base model A3's at work at they are no more equipped than my Astra. Bmw has now dropped the 318 from the range, but i dont think any vehicle without climate control, leather and full electrics can be considered a luxury vehicle.

rjastra
23rd December 2006, 06:49 PM
The VE Commodore's quality of fit and finish is right up with the best these days, particularly the Audi like panel gaps.

You need to take a closer look at the finish of an Audi then. The VE is nowhere near as good.

I wonder who actually aspires to a Lexus? Mostly asians by the ones I see driving round Sydney.

xplosv57
23rd December 2006, 09:21 PM
bahahahahaha... so considerate :D especially with the optional indicators most of them come with these days..

Found this a while back.................

http://www.btinternet.com/~knutty.knights/bmw.gif

By the way Blue_dvl, the 318i wasn't dropped, it instead became the 320i in relation to its now 2.0l capacity in the E90 series!!

Ive always been a fan of the Lexus brand but im not sure if it cuts it with the euros just yet!! The Lexus brand is very popular in the US, because they have a direct competitor in Acura (luxury Hondas).

The big German luxo car companies have been round for a while and have built up a large reputation however Lexus has only been round since 1989 (i think) so i believe if they can build up a reputation like the euros, they will be a threat in years to come!!!

digifish
23rd December 2006, 10:55 PM
With respect to the Euro marques...

The larger Mercs & BMWs are still relatively expensive in Europe compared to Opels, Peugeots, Renalts etc.

The vectra would be a closer match to the commodore (price wise). The gap is however $5000-$10,000 depending on the options.

Although what happens when BMWs and Mercs are sent to OZ is that they are loaded up with $5000 worth of extras (leather, larger engine, climate control and a higher level of trim) and then sold here for $15,000-$35,000 more.

Sad really.

digifish.

Amazer
23rd December 2006, 11:23 PM
I look at Lexus this way. They may have Toyota in their roots, but thats not such a bad thing.

Surely everyone knows how reliable toyota's are. It seems to be the more money you spend on a european car the more problems and more expensive parts are.

Somethin like an IS250 would suit me fine if I could afford one.

Rob

JohnBu
25th December 2006, 09:23 PM
never been a fan of lexus however i think the IS250 is awesome..

one thing u may want to note is in the US, Lexus spanks all the euro luxury brands in terms of sales.

i certainly wouldnt mind a IS250, or better yet IS350!

owning an euro luxury car is great, until something breaks, or parts need replacing = $$$

i know lexus isnt cheap in the servicing department, but i hope (and am certain) they are more reliable than euro cars...

in terms of the VE being equal in terms of fit and finish of the euros or lexus.. i suggest you compare them closely,.. at least they give u alot more value for money

pred8r
25th December 2006, 09:30 PM
one thing u may want to note is in the US, Lexus spanks all the euro luxury brands in terms of sales.

Excellent marketing is a wonderful thing. (Dreamcast/Playstation, Beta/VHS, Ge*rge B*sh/anyone else, nokia/anyone else, ipod/anyone else)

MatsHolden
25th December 2006, 10:30 PM
You do have to have a half decent product in the first place to market to do any good...

JohnBu
25th December 2006, 11:29 PM
Excellent marketing is a wonderful thing. (Dreamcast/Playstation, Beta/VHS, Ge*rge B*sh/anyone else, nokia/anyone else, ipod/anyone else)

im not saying they are a better product, but its a fact they are alot more popular in the US than they are here..., and if its one market u want to capture, u want the US

RudeOne
26th December 2006, 03:27 PM
Lexus was born many years ago just to only be "done up" toyota's hence the name lexus = luxury export to the united states. but now they are much more then that imo

pred8r
26th December 2006, 10:31 PM
You do have to have a half decent product in the first place to market to do any good...

Sometimes......or is that, at least, once (eg. Gameboy) :D

dustbug
27th December 2006, 08:43 AM
Ok this is where we can decide if the extra money is worth it.

Toyota Camry

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5007/newtoyotacamry713790zs4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/993/toyotacamry2007backox7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lexus GS

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/6086/lexusgs430200602mfx2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4360/lexusgsbiggbackcg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Truthfuly i can't see why anyone would pay the extra difference between the toyota and lexus, they look the same to me. Ok i'll be nice, the Lexus looks better but its only small body work and different tail/headlights. I'd say go with the bimma, merc or audi. My preference is the E class but the 5 series and A6 are both still nice.

rjastra
28th December 2006, 01:24 PM
The equivalent to the Camry is the Lexus ES300

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/images/gallery/models/ES/photos/exterior/g_ext8.jpg

jerrypufflewell
28th December 2006, 07:09 PM
All three are hideously ugly imo

pred8r
28th December 2006, 10:35 PM
OT: re the camry, is it the same body as the aurion?

Lt Ketch
29th December 2006, 08:32 AM
Found this

http://wheels.carpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ArticleID=1782490&TabID=501060&Alias=wheelsau

makes some interesting points.