PDA

View Full Version : Query!

mackeysam
22nd December 2006, 12:02 AM
hey guys and girls,

there's a mod that i can do to my exhaust for $40. my mate who also has an impreza has done it but i'm not sure whether it is actually legal or not...but seeing as a professional exhaust place did the mod then i would assume that it is legal but i'm going to ask anyway. he got his resonator taken out?? so his exhuast is now just one long pipe instead of curving around. has anyone else done this or know whether is it actually legal or not? cause it made a huge difference to his exhaust, sounds quite a bit better/louder and for $40 i thought "why not?!"

cheers peeps!
sam

PaulyJ
22nd December 2006, 12:16 AM
Nike...

... Just Do It!

blueraven
22nd December 2006, 12:19 AM
you can remove resonators np problem, you cant remove cat's...unless you have more than one. As long as you stay under the legal limit for noise ( i think its 90 db?) then you will be fine.

MatsHolden
22nd December 2006, 09:42 AM
Actually.... The car must have all of the original exhaust items or equivalent for it to comply with ADR. Yes you may be under the legal DB limit by removing the resinator, but your car will no longer be in compliance with ADR. Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much as no one really worries about it. It is a very common exhaust modification for a bit of an exhaust note,

Cheers
Mat

EL BURITO
23rd December 2006, 07:00 PM
sound may not be to great thou. but u can always change the box later if it pisses u off

Tfer
23rd December 2006, 07:21 PM
you can remove resonators np problem, you cant remove cat's...unless you have more than one. As long as you stay under the legal limit for noise ( i think its 90 db?) then you will be fine.

sounds about right, but see below ;)

Actually.... The car must have all of the original exhaust items or equivalent for it to comply with ADR. Yes you may be under the legal DB limit by removing the resinator, but your car will no longer be in compliance with ADR. Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much as no one really worries about it. It is a very common exhaust modification for a bit of an exhaust note,

Cheers
Mat

agreed :)

mackeysam
23rd December 2006, 11:15 PM
yeah i have heard different stories from different people so i'm a little undecieded...but as i said it's only $40-$50 so i thought it would be a cheap mod for a bit of fun...plus i'm getting used to my cannon now so it doesn't seem as loud to me:P they don't actually remove the whole resonator, only half of it.

thanks for that guys!
sam

MatsHolden
23rd December 2006, 11:25 PM
they don't actually remove the whole resonator, only half of it.

sam

They cut it in half? lol Never heard of that. They might just replace the resinator with a hot dog muffler that is half the size of the resinator.

mackeysam
27th December 2006, 01:32 PM
They cut it in half? lol Never heard of that. They might just replace the resinator with a hot dog muffler that is half the size of the resinator.

well that's what i've been told...but maybe i'm wrong...anyway i'll probably get it done soon. just got two new tires on my car today:D

merry christmas and happy new year to all!
sam

mackeysam
5th January 2007, 11:53 AM
well it's done! got the resonator chopped from my exhaust and it sounds awesome! what they do is they basically chop out the the whole resonator and replace it with one straight pipe...so it basically becomes a straight through exhaust. it made a huge difference...and i'm not just talking about the noise level...my car is alot more responsive and the gears have opened up heaps...must be breathing better or something. for those of you interested, $45 at speedy exhausts over at brookside in brisbane. i'll post some pics if anyone is interested!
have fun and stay safe!
sam