PDA

View Full Version : [NSW] Roadside Drug Testing

btm
20th December 2006, 10:22 AM
From 15 December 2006 police will have powers to carry out roadside drug testing on any driver, rider or supervising licence holder in NSW

taken from NSW RTA website

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/drinkdriving/drugs/index.html?hhid=1

Driving with the presence of an illicit drug

A roadside drug test will be used to enforce the new offence of driving with the presence of an illicit drug.

What drugs will be tested?

- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active component of cannabis.
- Methylamphetamine, also known as speed, ice, crystal meth, or base.
- Methylenedioxymethylamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ecstasy.

How will testing work?

- Police will conduct a preliminary oral fluid test through the window of your vehicle.
- You will be required to lick the test pad of the device. A result will be known in about five minutes.
- If you test negative you will be able to drive away.
- If you test positive you will have to get out of your vehicle and go with a police officer to provide a second oral fluid sample in the police support vehicle.
- The second sample will be tested using another oral fluid screening device. It should take about 20 minutes.
- If you test positive to this test you will not be charged at this time, however, you will be prohibited from driving for 24 hours by Police. The remaining portion of your second oral fluid sample will be sent to a laboratory for confirmatory analysis.
- If the presence of one or more of these three drugs is confirmed by the laboratory, you will receive a Court Attendance Notice within a few weeks of your roadside drug test with the charge of driving with the presence of an illicit drug.

Penalties of new offences http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/serioustrafficoffences/alcoholanddrugs.html

CJB
20th December 2006, 10:28 AM
Ouch.

Is this in NSW only for now? I knew they were talking about bringing it in - just didn't know when.

They will go nuts with this too - and probably catch a lot of people.

Say you smoked pot/did speed three weeks prior to being drug tested, would it still show in your system? Or is this only able to detect whether you have within a certain small time frame, say, 24 hours?

Turblue
20th December 2006, 10:34 AM
We have had this in Vic for a while. Caused a big stir!

btm
20th December 2006, 10:35 AM
and the moral to the story... do cocaine :D

kidding!

CJB
20th December 2006, 10:35 AM
Has it done any good Wayne?

MatsHolden
20th December 2006, 10:56 AM
It has done a lot of good. Get's the idiots who drive under the influence off our roads. They've booked close to 500 people in the two years since it was introduced, and that's only the people who have been caught...

Wraith
20th December 2006, 11:23 AM
I got pulled over for one of these on Sunday night in the City (Melb.) along King St. bloody annoying as the drug test takes a full 5 minutes, was stuck there for over 10 minutes in total :mad:

I had no idea it took so long, as the breath-a-liser test only takes seconds and I had the opprtunity to turn off, but thought meh won't take long.....

I've since been told that it used to take a full 15 minutes - what a real pain that would've been.

It did help that one of the coppers was interested in my Calibra and some chatting helped pass the time a bit quicker :D

Tigra
20th December 2006, 11:56 AM
I think this is a top idea and its about time that NSW Police has had the powers to enforce such an act. At the end of the day, if you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing to worry about.

There will always be people who will take the risk and continue to offend or avoid random testing. But if it takes one fool off the road and prevents them from killing some innocent person, then its all worth the effort.

blueraven
20th December 2006, 01:11 PM
I got pulled over for one of these on Sunday night in the City (Melb.) along King St. bloody annoying as the drug test takes a full 5 minutes, was stuck there for over 10 minutes in total :mad:
It did help that one of the coppers was interested in my Calibra and some chatting helped pass the time a bit quicker :D

Was she hot? did you get her number? :D... (didnt know you liked wimmens in uniform..or handcuffs :D ) Calibra's pull the honeys :)

does bother me in the slightest as i dont do that carp.

i do recall when they first introduced the drug tests wherever it was, the first 3 people who were busted name's were put in the paper, and not only did they all sue the paper, 2 of them demanded blood tests and were cleared completely, the last guy admitted to smokin some grass the weekend prior, but swore blind he hadnt had any for days before the test.

i hope they have improved the accuracy...cos if it happens to me i definately wanna go nuts at the officer when it comes back negative for wastin gmy time :D

Wraith
20th December 2006, 01:20 PM
hahahaha I wish - love sexy women in uniform :o but they were all blokes, so just stuck to car chatter :)

I too think it's a good thing, but it is an inconvenience to those of us who are indeed 'clean' ;)

And yes Nik, you are correct, Calibras pull the chicks, but believe me, my turbo vert is even better, it just knocks their socks off :D I love it :D ie: when the missus ain't around :o

miss beckie
20th December 2006, 02:25 PM
i think the drug testing is a good thing... i don't think it'll be long til it comes in up here in qld....

sucks about the 5 minute thing... but yea...getting people under the influence off the roads... i'm all for it :)
(hence i am usually designated driver with a lot of my friends. i would rather drive them around than have someone try to drive a vehicle be they drunk or on other substances)

SSS_Hoon
20th December 2006, 03:39 PM
i too think its a good thing we need more of it.

i think there was actually one of these setup in blacktown last sat night.

as we were doing laps hehehe they were there all night(we never got pulled in though) and there was a wierd lookin van thing with a tent on the side of it maybe that is what that was then.

SSS_Hoon

Red AH SRI T
20th December 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying i think this is crap. They need to develope a more advanced system, because with drugs there is only a positive or a negative reading. Its not like alcohol, you can't tell when you last consumed the substance, and how much, and how much you are affected by it.

I agree with the idea in principal but the current method is rubbish.

OPC
20th December 2006, 06:58 PM
, the last guy admitted to smokin some grass the weekend prior, but swore blind he hadnt had any for days before the test.

:D

hahaha he musta been a big stoner... that **** dont leave your system for weeks...

anyway... if i get pulled over im gunna go off big time...

**dont they know i was out runnin**

Mr T
21st December 2006, 10:33 AM
I dont know about the manufactured stuff but with pot the test shows positive when THC is currently active, not been in the system.

THC can stay in your blood for up to 3 months, but I think we all know that THC is not active that whole time...

Shaun
21st December 2006, 12:04 PM
About time... why shouldnt they test for Drug users. Why should they be exempt from testing. Whats the difference when someone has taken a pill and is ****ed then drives and causes an accident to someone that drink drives. Both have an effect on the brain and motorskills.

Mr T
21st December 2006, 12:21 PM
HAHA...I just had a thought go through my mind...:think:

I thought of you, Shaun, trying to drive after punching 5 billies...imagine how slow you'd drive then...!!!:shifty:

:shifty: :cool:

imay
21st December 2006, 12:35 PM
If it gets me and mine back home safely . . . I don't care what the authorities do to ensure that that possibility is increased!
There's enough f.w. on the road that aren't on drugs or booze that make sure our loved ones never make it home . . . so, as I said, whatever it takes to get these clowns off the roads and out of my way, I'm happy to be inconvenienced a little bit every now and then.

Drive to live, live to drive. And . . . do it safely and sensibly.

You all drive carefully this Christmas so we can continue these rants in the New Year, guys.

btm
21st December 2006, 12:43 PM
A reminder also... Double demerits for speeding and seatbelts starts from midnight tonight in NSW (or tomorrow night possibly, cant remember)

Mr T
21st December 2006, 12:49 PM
or tomorrow night possibly, cant remember

Hmmm...Short term memory loss....now what is that a side effect of again...:confused:

It starts tonight/tomorrow morning 12AM

Dv8a
21st December 2006, 03:01 PM
Thats a damn shame to hear that they have brought out roadside drug testing. I drive toasted a fair bit but usually only when driving back n forth from Brisbane to Goldcoast thou, but then again i drive at night at 1am when no one is on the road that way i can sit in the middle lane doing 108km/h on cruise control listening to GETO BOYS eyes half open with a grin from ear to ear.

CJB
21st December 2006, 03:08 PM
pothead!!! bwahahahaha! :dance:

blueraven
21st December 2006, 05:01 PM
Thats a damn shame to hear that they have brought out roadside drug testing. I drive toasted a fair bit but usually only when driving back n forth from Brisbane to Goldcoast thou, but then again i drive at night at 1am when no one is on the road that way i can sit in the middle lane doing 108km/h on cruise control listening to GETO BOYS eyes half open with a grin from ear to ear.

that had better be sarcasm to the max, otherwise you deserve a smack in the face and much worse.

SSS_Hoon
21st December 2006, 05:04 PM
^^^ x2

SSS_Hoon

MatsHolden
21st December 2006, 11:04 PM
^^^ x3 If that is serious, you don't belong near a car. But i'm sure it is sarcasm.

Red AH SRI T
22nd December 2006, 08:44 AM
pothead!!! bwahahahaha! :dance:

pot meet kettle

ronj
29th December 2006, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=blueraven;178102]

does bother me in the slightest as i dont do that carp.

I've heard of people smoking crawdads but smoking carp wow! must taste a bit fishy

btm
29th December 2006, 02:44 PM
not to mention looking extremely weird :p

blueraven
29th December 2006, 02:52 PM
Smoked carp is delicious :) i prefer to use cherry oak chips, adds and interesting flavour, but works better with salmon :D

"carp" is long running joke on the calibra forums :D the filter wouldnt allow crap, so carp won out.. i think now if you even type the word crap it changes it to carp :D:D

oneightoo
29th December 2006, 05:28 PM
^^^ x3 If that is serious, you don't belong near a car. But i'm sure it is sarcasm.

x4 as i often drive at that time of night.. i'll make sure i steer well clear of anyone driving with half closed eyes, a cheeky grin and a box of pringles in their hand.. doesnt matter what time of night and even if your the only one on the road, sh1t like that causes accidents.. prolly best you sit in your garage and giggle at late night tv till you pass out..

MiksOpel
31st December 2006, 12:16 PM
I'd like to know how the testing works and how long the drugs can be in your system for it to be called illegal and not illegal.
People should be informed so they know what they can and can't do.
Its easy to say that you shouldn't do drugs full stop but thats not a real world case. We need to have a proper system that is clear and understandable.

ronj
1st January 2007, 04:13 PM
I believe the initial test is just a saliva test, therefore you would of have to use the drugs recently. ( within 12 hours). Remnants of drugs stay in your blood for a longer period of time. I'm not sure if they follow up the initial saliva test with a blood test to get a more accurate reading.

MatsHolden
1st January 2007, 07:04 PM
This is Victoria related but i'm sure it'd be the same in NSW. Should answer you're questions.

"The consumption of THC (the active component in cannabis) will be detected for several hours after use. The actual time after consumption that THC will be detected depends on the THC strength of the cannabis used and on the driver’s metabolism. Drivers who may have inactive THC residue in their bodies from use in previous days/weeks will not be detected.

Methamphetamines (speed) may be detected for approximately 24 hours after use. These drugs can affect the ability of a driver to safely control his or her car for at least this period of time. Extremely large doses, other drugs taken at the same time, and differences in individual metabolism may affect the duration of the effects of these drugs."

"Saliva screening is an accurate and reliable method for detecting the recent consumption of methamphetamines (speed) and THC (the active component in cannabis). All saliva drug screening devices will be required to meet rigorous standards of accuracy. Before any charge can be laid, the presence of THC or methamphetamine in the saliva sample must be confirmed by laboratory testing."

"Drivers will be informed within a few weeks of the roadside saliva test being conducted that their saliva test laboratory analysis confirms an illicit drug was present and that they are to be fined or prosecuted for an offence."

"Drivers will not be permitted to drive immediately after positive roadside saliva test. Drivers may choose to wait at the roadside until an illicit drug is no longer present. Alternatively, they can leave and return to collect their vehicle at a time which will be advised by the police. Once an illicit drug is no longer present, drivers will be allowed to drive prior to receiving the results of their saliva test laboratory analysis."

"Drivers who are unable to supply a saliva sample will be required to supply a blood sample to test for the recent consumption of illicit drugs. Authorised health professionals will take blood samples. There is also a provision enabling police to take urine samples for testing."

"An initial saliva test will take around five minutes. Drivers who return a positive result to the initial sample will require further tests. The total time for these drivers could be up to approximately 30 minutes."

"The drug driving campaign is about increasing road safety – not drug detection. Legislation prevents the evidence of saliva tests being used in court proceedings for non road safety offences."