PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Astra

jim7777777
18th December 2006, 01:21 PM
Can anyone tell me where the build plate for an Astra G is located? I know the compliance plate lives in the middle of the engine bay at the back.

Also, where on the block is the engine number for a turbo car?

Thanks in advance...

(Hopefully I'll be a new addition to the fold very shortly...)

Mr T
19th December 2006, 01:40 PM
Engine Number is located on the frount side of the block on the gearbox side.

Build plate, well it works a little different, there is a build date and chassis number on the radiator support bar, but there is another plate inside the drivers door.

auzvectra
20th December 2006, 07:58 AM
i think the engine number is in about 3 places on the ZLET, but the easiest is where Mr T said.
looking at the motor from the front of the car, there is a hose coming out of the tappet cover(top of the motor), follow that down the side of the motor, and the number is right next to it, it runs verticle.

jim7777777
20th December 2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the help.

I'm one happy man with a 2003 SRi Turbo parked in my garage right now...

auzvectra
20th December 2006, 06:34 PM
ahh, good stuff so where u located?
and how long before u start modding??? :D

jim7777777
20th December 2006, 11:59 PM
I'm in Inner South-East Melbourne.

As for modding; flash, exhaust and front-mount are on the cards for early next year. I don't want to go over the top as this is just transport. I just want to get it to a "respectable" pace as I am a bit under-whelmed with the performance. I'm guessing traction is going to be a big issue as the traction warning light stayed on for most of this afternoon's drive...

I guess comparisons can be unfair and the value for money is excellent.

Interestingly, when I asked my insurer about mods they said that there was no limit as long as they are VicRoads legal!

MatsHolden
21st December 2006, 12:02 AM
Interestingly, when I asked my insurer about mods they said that there was no limit as long as they are VicRoads legal!

Just be careful with that mate, all well and good that they will let you do unlimited modifications, but when it comes time to pay your premium you will probably find it has increased.

niko
21st December 2006, 12:17 AM
Who is your insurer?

jim7777777
21st December 2006, 10:28 AM
I'm insured with RACV for the moment. I'm going ot shop it around. I might go through Torque on a limited-use policy as I've got several vehicles to choose from so none of them gets many Ks.

I suspect "VicRoads legal" is also a very easy way to exclude payment on a policy so I'm abit nervous. It could be hard to prove (without an eng. certificate) that the mods are legal.

auzvectra
21st December 2006, 10:05 PM
thats the good bit bout the tune, no1 knows :).

niko
22nd December 2006, 04:53 PM
And it only takes 2nim to put back the standard settings if you have the kit.