PDA

View Full Version : Traction Ctrl

WLD-18L
16th December 2006, 05:00 PM
I have an 01 astra g cd ts. the car is fitted with traction control which you can not turn off.

every other car ive been in you have an option to turn it on or off.

how come opel have just set it to constantly on. or not having the option of turning it off.

ive herd a heap of stories about removing the T/C fuse wich will turn the traction control off. is this safe. will it cause the ECU any grieff.

SSS_Hoon
17th December 2006, 12:41 AM
y do u want to turn it off for its a great little thing.

SSS_Hoon

Dave
17th December 2006, 05:15 AM
why wouldnt you want to turn it off ?

more fun without it :dance:

and no, if that model has just a fuse for the T/C and nothing else it will be fine, at the most it will register a fault code which is no biggy.

But if its tied in with other things like abs, speedo, dash lights and power steering like on the TS then itl be prob, but if you wire a switch into the fuse it makes for a great detourent to stop other ppl driveing your car :cool:

Its only unsafe if you do a bodge job. ( for coments sake )

sparks
17th December 2006, 07:24 AM
Don't be removing fuses as it controls power steering also.Have a look on a uk site there will be a how to in fitting a switch.

DirtyHarry
17th December 2006, 10:22 AM
the reason behind the traction control switch is for european winter weather.
since it snows and theres ice, because of the traction control, you might want to turn it off so you can spin the wheels when its icy, snowy etc.
so in turn we dont have that kind of weather here so they dont put the switch in.

auzvectra
17th December 2006, 10:36 AM
but they do in the sri-t :).
i thought the 1.8L had the switch, and the 2.2L didnt?

WLD-18L
17th December 2006, 06:49 PM
yea its hooked in with steering and rear break lights, was just curious anyway. wouldnt want to fry my rubber....and i dont think the engine has enuff torque to even spin the wheels, properly anyways

Blue_Dvl
17th December 2006, 08:34 PM
bah, with enough revs u can get a few seconds of wheelspin b4 the anti-fun system kicks in LOL

In all seriousness, It is intersting they dont fit a button most makes/models do at least give you the option., its a god safety feature to have, except i have found it frustrating on quick takeoffs when it cuts all power due to wheelslippage...... a bit over excessive.

Dave
17th December 2006, 09:22 PM
yea its hooked in with steering and rear break lights, was just curious anyway. wouldnt want to fry my rubber....and i dont think the engine has enuff torque to even spin the wheels, properly anyways

LoL wanna bet?

The 1.8 astra's can smoke em with the best. Cant be good for the rest of the car, but it can do it. Not that im saying that i have or anything.

WLD-18L
17th December 2006, 09:25 PM
lol yea i dont think id even want to try it, there is only so much a little 1.8 can handle. i like my car to much to do crap like that.

Wraith
18th December 2006, 09:45 AM
As far as I know the only model we have here in Aust. of the Astra G with a traction control switch to turn it off/on is the turbo hatch - even the turbo convertible was not fitted with it !!! Damn Opel, with some of the things they do or don't do !!!

I've installed a switch in my turbo vert to be able to turn it off, but have yet to wire it all up.

There's a great how to somewhere in the forum which shows all that is required, the most expensive part is the switch itself.

DirtyHarry
18th December 2006, 02:10 PM
i know there was one model, youd find i think, that it was the special edition "olympic" version of the astra g that came out with the traction control switch.

luvpsi
18th December 2006, 03:13 PM
yeah i think it was the 2000 model

KID_SRi
18th December 2006, 05:17 PM
Its not too hard to wire up Wraith.
Most of wiring is already there.
You need to run a Wire from the Switch to PIN 32 on the ABS/Traction Control Fuse/Relay Box. To get to that, You have remove all the Junk on top of it.
But basically, The switch gets its power from the Lighter.
Ground a wire the Frame of the Stereo.
I had pics of mine & Former Member(Smellytofu) Installs.

KID_SRi
18th December 2006, 05:21 PM
I just looked for the How To.
It has vanished, As UK site crashed & all the Info is lost.

Clint
26th December 2006, 10:04 PM
i believe the traction control and abs are on the same fuse, so be careful before going pulling fuses out, if you have an accident, and the insurance company finds there is no fuse in the traction control/abs fuse holder say goodbye to any insurance payouts

platypus
28th December 2006, 08:34 AM
tc you don't want with chains on.... silly to not have it...

hello it snows here at christmas!!

Amazer
14th April 2007, 11:58 AM
this is interesting I was hoping to be able to completely disable my ABS and Traction Control for a motorkhana next weekend.

am I the only person with a TS CD 1.8 that has a switch next to the gearstick for my traction control?

it looks factory and I can post a pic if required

Rob

Wraith
14th April 2007, 12:34 PM
but they do in the sri-t :).
i thought the 1.8L had the switch, and the 2.2L didnt?

Nope, not even all Astra G turbo's had the switch fitted....

My turbo vert didn't have the switch, I've purchased all the necessary hardware and am in the process of installing it soon :)

Don't know why Opel didn't at least make it standard for all turbo variants :rolleyes:

platypus
14th April 2007, 01:04 PM
this is interesting I was hoping to be able to completely disable my ABS and Traction Control for a motorkhana next weekend.

am I the only person with a TS CD 1.8 that has a switch next to the gearstick for my traction control?

Rob

rob, i'd try to leave it on if you could... the ABS only works when it needs to - and traction loss will cost you some time after all!!

ESP on the other hand would try to stop you from sliding the car... but you have no worries of that with TC !!

imay
14th April 2007, 01:10 PM
Do a search at www.astraownersclub.com (UK site, formerly astra-sport.co.uk) and there's definitely a how-to or three on there to guide you through it. Plenty of advice on all things Opel/Vauxhall for those that don't like the factory settings/fittings.

As mentioned previously, DON'T go pulling fuses haphazardly, as these Germans love inter-connecting stuff like this to other more vital functions.

auzvectra
14th April 2007, 02:32 PM
if the t/c is too sensitive, it will slow the time, if it isnt so sensitive, and isnt too harsh when it cuts in, it will help.

platypus
14th April 2007, 02:42 PM
if the t/c is too sensitive, it will slow the time, if it isnt so sensitive, and isnt too harsh when it cuts in, it will help.

the t/c normally only goes in hard if you go in hard - its not launch control but some people expect it to do that!!

what i'm saying is that you need to learn the limits of the car...

try the motokhana with t/c and abs
then try with out - if you can do a practice then hoorah!

auzvectra
14th April 2007, 03:15 PM
i dont think ur wrong, i do agree. it's just i know how different some t/c is.
like my veccy, at the slightest loss of traction it cut all throttle for about 2-3 secs, then allowed some throttle, increasing slightly.
where as the astra turbo, has great t/c, unless u really rip it, then the brakes are engadged, n it hurts :(. (well it hurts me, with my bad back).
i only use t/c on my astra in the wet, as it works best in those conditions.

Amazer
14th April 2007, 04:42 PM
had a bit of a look this arvo

I managed a 270 degree turn with the handbrake with out too much drama. Launching is going to be the fun bit on grass. I've decided I'll switch T/C off. Main reason being is power being cut for a few seconds after traction is regained.

The motorkhana I'm going to is in a grass paddock and the starting/finishing garage is on slope as well.

Other important thing to remember is a $2 coin and gaffer tape for the handbrake button. Makes it a lot easier to just lift and drop when doing turns

Rob

platypus
15th April 2007, 10:41 AM
haha, rob don't you live on property?

Amazer
15th April 2007, 10:48 AM
haha, rob don't you live on property?

no I don't live on a big property, there is lots of farms around where I live though

Rob

R3N
15th April 2007, 10:54 AM

Rob

T/C you can disable with a switch (which you already have), ABS can't... the fuse that controls it also controls power steering, and you wouldn't wanna do a motorkhana without p/steering. I've found ABS to be more of a prob for me during motorkhana than T/C

auzvectra
15th April 2007, 11:10 AM
use the handbrake more then :p

Clint
15th April 2007, 12:09 PM
TC in my car is an annoying thing, i have it off at all times, except when i want to get round corners quick in the wet, it does a nice job. but even in the wet, if i pull the handbrake with traction control turned on, it will pull the car back in line! it cuts the throttle then hammers abs on wichever side is necessary and brings the car back. on grass ive found it much better with tc off aswell. at lower speeds and when launching on grass the majority of the time its better to have it off, but at higher speeds it seems to help reduce the wheel spin and accelerate quicker. but there have been a few times tc has helped launching on grass, as well as times like driving up a very steep grass hill slowly, or starting on the hill the car couldnt do it without tc.

also ive found abs to be a problem on gravel, if the wheels happen to lock i'm not sure about other cars, but mine won't always unlock the wheels for a few seconds, in which case it would be better without abs.

Dave
15th April 2007, 04:59 PM
Id haft to agree with clint, theres times when both are good and both are bad, take a muddy field for instance...... all are useless.

Im like clint except that i dont even use tc in the wet, i just slow down a little bit :p sometimes.

Clint
15th April 2007, 10:42 PM
there is one thing i love about tc, being able to turn it on, come up a roundabout or corner give the car all its got and just drive around the corner without losing traction, my friend was shocked ther first time i did it, since one time we were driving home, i went round a roundabout in the wet, he was behind and he got half way round then his car just went straight and hit the gutter. long time after that he was in my car when it was raining, i had tc off and it would just spin up or understeer easily, then i showed him what tc does, turned it on, came up to the next roundabout, stuck it in 1st gear and gave it all its got, just drove nicely around the roundabout, minimal wheel spin, no understeer, and a tc light rapidly flashing on the dash board lol, he was very surprsed at how much of a difference it made

Dave
16th April 2007, 06:46 PM
depends i gues, speed or fun ;)

daaaaavek
16th April 2007, 07:11 PM
Nope, not even all Astra G turbo's had the switch fitted....

My turbo vert didn't have the switch, I've purchased all the necessary hardware and am in the process of installing it soon :)

Don't know why Opel didn't at least make it standard for all turbo variants :rolleyes:

Can you share with us where you purchased the bits from please? I've only managed to get the switch from Holden - they can't source the single-switch trim panel or wiring loom.

Wraith
16th April 2007, 08:46 PM
I got all my bits from GMH spares in Dandenong :)

The items I purchased are the traction control switch and the trim panel piece.

My Turbo vert is fitted with heated leather seats, so the trim panel is the 3 hole one, you mentioned a single hole trim - maybe these are not available, you'll have to check and confirm.

As for the wiring loom, they don't have this item, what I intend doing is to follow a 'how to' installation instruction and make up all the necessary wiring myself :)

An excellent how to is available from www.astra-sport.co.uk

I'll be doing mine soon, I'm in the final stages of building and installing a customised centre console, once that's done the T/C switch is next.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope that helps :)