PDA

View Full Version : AH Astra SRi Turbo

MasterSti
16th December 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum & I guess that I'm looking for some advice on the pro's & cons of a new AH SRi Turbo?

I'm currently driving a MY02 Subaru Impreza WRX & my wife is driving a MY05 Barina. We are looking to move down to 1 car as we live & work in the middle of the city so our cars dont get used that often.

Anyway I have been looking at the VXR Astra, SRi Astra, Focus XR5, Golf GTi & a MY07 WRX.

The best price has been the SRi at around $33,500 drive away, VXR was around $42,500, Golf GTi 3 door was around $42,500 & XR5 $41K.

I really like the SRi's looks & price but is the VXR worth around another $9k? I am worried about the VXR's harsh ride on the 19" rims.

We dont have children so the need for 4 doors isnt a concern.

Anyway I was just looking for peoples thoughts?

Thanks

Stu

digifish
16th December 2006, 04:41 PM
I know this isn't probably the answer you are looking for...but just for fun, while you are at the dealers, take the Diesel 1.9 CDTi manual for a spin.

digifish

phat-dave
16th December 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm bias, but I'd go the SRI .. it represents excellent value for money and at 33 odd grand, youve received a fantastic deal.

The VXR is a weapon, given youre coming from a rex, it would be like comparing the STI to the base model WRX... so whilst many say yes, its extra $9k asking price is justified, many will also disagree.

two different cars, both fantastic and remarkable build quality given the budget price.

good luck :)

MasterSti
16th December 2006, 06:08 PM
Hi digifish,

I hadnt even thought of trying the diesel Astra for a test drive. They had one in the holden dealer. Might try it next week.

Is the diesel all about torque? 320NM sounds good.

What does the diesel rev to?

I guess I am just so used to a petrol turbo. They still have fantastic torque when over about 1500rpm & a fantastic topend. The WRX is great.

Anyway I will try the CDti. I wish you could buy it in the coupe...

Thanks

MasterSti
16th December 2006, 06:16 PM
Hi phat-dave,

yes the VXR does have a reasonable amount of power but being only front drive worries me with this car.

On Topgear Jeremy Clarkson bagged it because of the torque steer. But he was impressed with the power.

At the end of the day I cant see $9,000 extra in the VXR. Nice car though.

I'm really thinking I should go for a MY07 WRX (169KW & 320NM & AWD), but the all new one comes out in mid 2008. I might buy the Astra SRi now and change into the new WRX in a few years.

I love the styling of the SRi. Nice car....

kabel
16th December 2006, 06:58 PM
Don`t always believe what Mr Clarkson has to say.Take an SRi and VXR
for a drive then make a decision,also read some of the chat on VXRonline.

Shaun
16th December 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi phat-dave,

yes the VXR does have a reasonable amount of power but being only front drive worries me with this car.

On Topgear Jeremy Clarkson bagged it because of the torque steer. But he was impressed with the power.

At the end of the day I cant see $9,000 extra in the VXR. Nice car though.

I'm really thinking I should go for a MY07 WRX (169KW & 320NM & AWD), but the all new one comes out in mid 2008. I might buy the Astra SRi now and change into the new WRX in a few years.

I love the styling of the SRi. Nice car....

They dont torque steer anywhere like Clarkson shows in that Top Gear Ep. That car was pre production. Suspension was SRi T Spec. Not VXR Spec.

Both cars are great. As someone pointed out before. SRi T is a good all rounder. Priced well and is well worth the money. VXR The next step up . worth the extra 9k.

Another Option is a XR5 Turbo.

digifish
16th December 2006, 08:45 PM
Hi digifish,

I hadnt even thought of trying the diesel Astra for a test drive. They had one in the holden dealer. Might try it next week.

Is the diesel all about torque? 320NM sounds good.

What does the diesel rev to?

Anyway I will try the CDti. I wish you could buy it in the coupe...

Thanks

Torque cuurve = Acceleration curve :)

The red-line is 5000 rpm....but you only need to use 2000-3500.

But you will find that you don't need to rev it. It's hard to describe...like a deep growl and a huge push in the back. The speed is hugely deceptive, due to the low RPMS required to get there.

Regardless of what you buy, just test-drive one...BTW: make sure it's the 6-speed manual.

hills become irrelevant :)

digifish

Shaun
16th December 2006, 09:36 PM
Are the CDi T Common Rail ?

The Diesel is interesting. Yes the torque is there. But you would expect nothing less from a Diesel Engine.

Diesels dont have to be driven and higher then 2,500-3,500 in the rev rand to produce decent power. Great for Pulling a load behind. They have modified ones in the uk. 888 BTCC Team have produced 100 of them as 888 Coupes.

They are quick for what they are but lapped slower then a VXR on the track. I believe diesel cars have the advantages but also have a few disadvatages.

But as said before. test drive one. you might be suprised.

Shaun

digifish
16th December 2006, 09:46 PM
Are the CDi T Common Rail ?

They are quick for what they are but lapped slower then a VXR on the track. I believe diesel cars have the advantages but also have a few disadvatages.

Shaun

Yes common rail.

Around town for 95% of the driving we do the low down torque is fat and satisfying. The CDTi develops 110 kW in stock form too, so it's no slouch.

Everyone I have had drive mine has been quite astonished. Even people used to V8s.

digifish

JohnBu
17th December 2006, 01:40 PM
Drove a VXR,

Power was good, but i woulded say great (i drive a slightly modded astra turbo which i think is faster)..

the main thing about it was the stiffness of the chassis and ride quality on 19s was great.. i've sat in cars on low profile 16s much worst than this..

anyway, no point arguing, go for a drive of all of them and see which u prefer..

me, it will be a toss up between the VXR and GTi 3 door (definately not 5 door)

Shaun
17th December 2006, 02:03 PM
Yes common rail.

Around town for 95% of the driving we do the low down torque is fat and satisfying. The CDTi develops 110 kW in stock form too, so it's no slouch.

Everyone I have had drive mine has been quite astonished. Even people used to V8s.

digifish

Common rail will cost money in the end when it comes time to serving injectors.

digifish
17th December 2006, 02:44 PM
Common rail will cost money in the end when it comes time to serving injectors.

And will pay for itself in lack of spark-plug replacement, lower fuel consumption (6.5l/100), longer basic engine life etc...swings and round-abouts.

Also you can run products like BP Diesel GO, that will stop injector deposits.

digifish

Shaun
17th December 2006, 06:15 PM
I wouldnt put addivites in a Diesel Injector. Ive seen it so many times done with trucks that come into work. Ends up costing the owner BIG Dollars in the end.

MasterSti
17th December 2006, 06:28 PM
Hi all,

thanks for all your comments so far.

XR5 will be a 10 month or more wait so that would be a bit of a PITA.

I liked the Golf, I test drove a 5 Door but with only 147KW I would rather the Astra SRi with the same power & delivery in 1 month.

Anyway sounds like the VXR's ride isnt that bad for running 19" wheels.

I am going to test drive the Astra Deisel this week & the XR5 will be available for a test drive later this week. What sort of cost would I be looking at for getting the SRi 18" wheels on the CDTi Astra?

I just sold my WRX this weekend, just waiting for a vehicle inspection to be done tomorrow. Getting excited about my next choice.

Cheers

digifish
17th December 2006, 07:28 PM
I am going to test drive the Astra Deisel this week

Don't forget to compare with the sport button ON/OFF :)

digifish

digifish
17th December 2006, 08:34 PM
I wouldnt put addivites in a Diesel Injector. Ive seen it so many times done with trucks that come into work. Ends up costing the owner BIG Dollars in the end.

BP Diesel GO works, I have seen the original publications R&D put out a couple of years ago.

Here's some marketing -

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/retail/retail_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/f/FN_bp_diesel_go.pdf

digifish

Wraith
18th December 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi guys, just want to point out the prices listed are not accurate, ie: the price shown for the AH Sri t is driveaway, all the others are before on road costs - whilst you'll get an AH Sri t driveaway for just over 33k or 34k a VXR will be at or over 48k driveaway, so it's nearly 15k over not 9k !!!! :eek:

Yes it's hard to justify that much difference, but that's what happens when HSV put their stamp on things - you'll have to pay a premium unfortunately.

If you want a VXR, my advice is to grab a 6 to 12 month old example, as the price drops significantly after this period (as with all Holdens and HSV's) and I believe there will be plenty of s/h ones around over the coming year - use the saving on mods :)

With regards to the original question, if you like the wrx, I can understand you wanting to stick to one of those, I suppose anything else would be a step backwards in terms of performance/handling - pity about it's looks though.

The new '08 model is shaping up to be a better looker for once, maybe as you suggested, wait for that one ;)

OPC
18th December 2006, 10:49 AM
Hi guys, just want to point out the prices listed are not accurate, ie: the price shown for the AH Sri t is driveaway, all the others are before on road costs - whilst you'll get an AH Sri t driveaway for just over 33k or 34k a VXR will be at or over 48k driveaway, so it's nearly 15k over not 9k !!!! :eek:

;)

mine way 46k drive away not 48k... and i could have haggled and got it for less but i just wanted to get rid of mine (astra t) and get the vxr

took my vxr for a good drive yesterday to lithgow and back...

took the bell line of road back and damn it handles awesome through the twisties and hills

master sti...my advice would be to get what you like cos your the one payin for it (clarkson is a TOOL)

MasterSti
18th December 2006, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

Actually the prices were all driveaway including dealer delivery, GST, stampduty, rego 3rd party etc...

They wont negotiate at all on the Golf & XR5 due to the shortage of supply.

The SRi & VXR were very willing to deal & I have a holden card so I get a extra $3k off the price. I need to use this before the end of January 2007 as they has just changed the rules on redemptions for Astra's.

Yes I dont know if Jeremy Clarkson actually knows that much about cars. I guess he has driven all of them when I havent. I cant test drive the VXR (Dealer will only do a special order) but I have driven the SRi, Golf and am going to drive the CDTi Astra & XR5 this week.

Anyway I will let you know how the XR5 & CDTi test drives go.

Cheers:) :) :)

Wraith
18th December 2006, 12:28 PM
Gee wiz, your a lucky bugger if your able to get a VXR for around 42k drive away brand new !!! :) That's around the maximum I reckon they should be worth anyways.

I think you'll find Holden/HSV are more willing to deal, because sales are not as strong as expected, Mazda are leading the way over the VXR with the MPS 3.

Look forward to hearing on your test drive results on the Xr5, I hear they are a much sweeter drive than the VXR and Sri t and have a great engine sound.

SSS_Hoon
18th December 2006, 01:08 PM
clarkson is great, you all have to remember he is saying his personal views on the cars he drives that is why.

and the VXR torque steer part any fwd car will be like that if u want it too be.

we got our GTI a year ago when the wait was nearly a year(so they said) and we still got them down on the price.

i have been told that there are a heap of GTI's at the holding yard but they could be customer orders.

what about the golf 2tdi you driven that one too?

go with what ever you like after you have driven them and thought about it a few times, as in the end your the one driving it right?

SSS_Hoon

MatsHolden
18th December 2006, 05:29 PM
What sort of cost would I be looking at for getting the SRi 18" wheels on the CDTi Astra?

Cheers

You're looking at over $2K.

Wraith
19th December 2006, 01:09 PM
Drop that idea and spend the same or less on an awesome looking set of aftermarket alloys :)

Will look better and different/unique compared to others around ;)

MasterSti
19th December 2006, 01:55 PM
SSS_Hoon what did you pay for your GTi Golf?

I have just called the VW dealer & said if they cant reduce the price significantly I will purchase another brand.

I will see how I go.

How much do you think tey will come down from $42,500 for the 3 Door with Metalic paint & cloth seats? I would be happy with about $39,000.

Also the Ford dealer just called me I am going for a drive in the XR5 tonight after work.

Are you a fellow previous Pulsar SSS owner? I used to own a 2000 N15 SSS. Good car.....:)

digifish
19th December 2006, 03:03 PM
I have just called the VW dealer & said if they cant reduce the price significantly I will purchase another brand.

Good strategy.

You can always come back and offer more if they won't budge...but you have to try, and that means making an offer and either walking or leaving it with them...as you go off to another dealer.

Always mention some other car/brand in the same price bracket (VXR for example) and say price will decide.

I got 10% of a Passat in 03 doing that. I turned to my wife and said, "Volvo have a sale on at the moment, let's go". We got as far as standing on our feet before being made a better offer :)

digifish

SSS_Hoon
19th December 2006, 03:56 PM
SSS_Hoon what did you pay for your GTi Golf?

I will see how I go.

How much do you think tey will come down from $42,500 for the 3 Door with Metalic paint & cloth seats? I would be happy with about $39,000.

Also the Ford dealer just called me I am going for a drive in the XR5 tonight after work.

Are you a fellow previous Pulsar SSS owner? I used to own a 2000 N15 SSS. Good car.....:)

lets just say for ours we got it for about the price before you add all the other crap too it.

the 3 door they might not move so much as they are only new(dont even have them up on the website yet) that is what i would like a 3 door GTI even though they are only 36kg lighter hehehe.

as for being a previous SSS owner no... i still am a SSS owner the GTI is my fiance's car not mine.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
19th December 2006, 04:19 PM
There's a white 3 door Gti parked at the train station where I catch the train from every morning - been there for the last 2 or 3 weeks - the owner must have got in early, I must say it looks sweet in that colour......

MasterSti, look forward to your test drive results on that Xr5, spotted a black one 2 days ago at Watergardens shopping centre with the orange interior - looked not too bad at all......twin exhaust at the rear looks great :)

Also are you/did you consider the Mazda MPS 3 at all ?? they too are an awesome drive and feature packed for the money :)

MasterSti
20th December 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

Update on the Ford Focus XR5 test drive.

I was only allowed to take it around the block as it was sold to another customer. The car was in that bright orange colour with leather seats. Anyway I started it up and the engine sounded fantastic. Has real character. The sales guy came with me on the test drive so I didnt really give it the berries but took it up to around 5 grand in the revs. Sounds fantastic. Its a much bigger car than I thought, seems a little too large for just my wife & I. The styling is way better than the standard focus, but its still a bit boring to my eyes. The real issue that I can see is the lack of cruise control. You cant even option it! how stupid is that!.

And the dealer wont deal that much!. Best price he would give me was $40,270 on road with metalic paint & standard cloth seats. Also earliest delivery date of May 2007.

I dont think I will purchase, but I'm glad I had a look at it.

So I'm still waiting for the VW dealer to call me back on a price for the GTi Gold. I think I have pissed them off as I pushed really hard. They kept comming back with the built in europe (its built in South Africa!) & higher re-sale value, better car, etc..... But I just said that I think its only worth around $38k to me. I said I was signing a contract on the holden today. I will call them again today.

Lastly I am going to take the Astra CDTi for a spin tonight just before I sign the purchase contract on the Astra SRi Turbo.

I'll let you know how I go tonight.

I will most likely have signed a contract tonight!:)

Cheers

SSS_Hoon
20th December 2006, 10:12 AM
the 3 door golf is built in germany the 5 door in sth africa.

GTI gold is what exactly or did u mean golf?

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
20th December 2006, 11:15 AM
I think he just miss spelt Golf :)

What a huge and annoying waiting period on the Xr5's, that's worse than the waiting time for the Golf's ....

Pity you didn't/couldn't give it a good spirited run, would have loved to hear your opinion - hopefully when I test drive one some time next year, I'll be able to give it a good long squirt :)

BTW as I previously mentioned are you curious at all about the MPS 3 ?? at least in terms of comparing it's performance to the others ...

MasterSti
20th December 2006, 11:45 AM
I think the Golf GTi is made in South Africa. Not that it really matters. Still a great car. Just not willing to pay retail price when I can get a SRi Turbo for $33,500.

Anyway I have given up on the VW as I think they have the ****s with me for not being a badge snob and expecting me to pay too much $$$.

Hi Wraith I have considered the Mazda 3 MPS and I done mind them but my wife doesnt like them at all. She says the styling is ok but hates the inside trim & dash etc. I would like one because of the 190KW engine & excelent road reviews. I think the outside styling is a bit boring personally but I would forgive that for 190KW. I friend at work just purchased one and took me for a spin. He said in 3rd gear from 80 to 120 or so its even quicker than a new 911 turbo or something. Not sure if this is just marketing crap but the thing friggen goes. As far as quick launches go its not so good as its only FWD and I think the electronics limit power until a certain speed. Anyway my mate loves the MPS but I'm stuffed as my wife doesnt like it. Also sport pack I like is around $48K driveaway. Bloody expensive!!!! But good car.

Anyway I just think I will buy the Astra SRi and update in 18 months to 2 years. The money I'm saving means I dont need a car loan.

Unless the Astra CDTi changes my mind tonight? which should be cheaper again.

Shaun
20th December 2006, 11:53 AM
I got a feeling that if your stepping out of a WRX that when you drive the CDTi you will feel rather robbed. Yes they produce alot of torque but Diesel engines arent like petrol. they done have driven past 3,000 rpm as thats starting to climb out of the torque range.

Wraith
20th December 2006, 11:58 AM
Awesome well done :)

I agree, for the money you simply can't go wrong with the AH Sri t ;)

The MPS 3 is pricey, but it's actually similar to a VXR, ie: without any of the discounts you can get and it offers alot more for the money - the only issue is as you said if you like it's styling :rolleyes: and your right about 3rd gear...it's gets full power in 3rd through to 6th.

Reviews desribe it as 'ballistic' :D there's a thread on here showing one doing a high 13sec run over the 1/4 and it's described as being stock...

Take off from standstill should be pretty good as it limits power and has an LSD as well.

I'm looking forward to test driving one of these :)

Enjoy the new Astra :)

entice
20th December 2006, 12:02 PM
Mazda MPS 3.

excellent car.

Unsure of the waiting list though

Wraith
20th December 2006, 12:13 PM
Good point there Entice, maybe it varies from dealer to dealer.

I was at Essendon Mazda (Melb.) 2 weekends ago and booked myself in for a test drive early in the new year and they told me if I ordered say in late Jan, I should be able to take delivery within 3-4 weeks.

Maybe they just said that to get my business :confused: who knows, fact is I won't be getting anything until at least late next year or '08, too many new releases coming that I'm also keen on and some of them are scheduled for '08 :)

MasterSti
21st December 2006, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

Well the deal is done & contract signed last night.

I have just purchased a new MY07 AH Astra SRi Turbo in Star Silver III.

Delivery wont be until around the end of January 2007 as on the contract I specified that I wanted a 2007 compliance plate vehicle. I managed to say no to the stunner chick trying to sell me all the paint protection, rust protection, window tint & other over priced garbage. I will go to my local window tint for around $300 and not the $600 from the dealer.

I think I have really pissed off the VW sales person as they still havent called me back. Anyway the deal is done now & my wife and I are happy.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I cant wait until the end of January.

Just have to sell my wifes Barina now!

Mr T
21st December 2006, 10:10 AM
Well done man, but i recon delivery in Feb some time if you want 2007 Compliance...That will get you either Sept or Oct build date.

MasterSti
21st December 2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Mr T,

Yes I think the build date will be a very late 2006 but the Aust compliance will be a 2007. It will be a MY07 model (no changes that I can see to a MY6.5).

Just when its time to sell it again sounds better to be a MY07 than MY6.5.

Does anyone know what the differences between MY6.5 & MY07 are? :confused:

Cheers

jim7777777
21st December 2006, 10:41 AM
Volkswagen salespeople are the pits.

I was seriously considering buying a Polo GTi brand new.

When it came to negotiating price, they wouldn't knock a cent off. I told them I was prepared to sign up on the spot (and I was) but they still wouldn't move. I was staggered. They wouldn't even throw in a pair of floor mats so I walked out.

It wouldn't have taken much to get me to sign, but I ended up really pi**ed off with their attitude. Buggered if I'll go into another VW dealership again...

Shaun
21st December 2006, 11:45 AM
Germany year end is November. I think you might find they will be plated 07 already from the factory. Congratulations on the buy. You will be happy with it. Im sure you will find a difference between your STi in confit.

Shaun
21st December 2006, 11:49 AM
Volksawagen used to be a Poor mans Porsche. VW is the leading selling European manfacturer in Australia atm so they think now they can be selective with the customers. When a company becomes like that they end up with limited sales. then loose that postion. VW is cheap in Europe.No different to say Nissan or Toyota are here. Brand snobs **** me....

But the hype of the GTi being 12 months is sales marketing. I found a dealership in sydney with 4 on the lot. Ready for Delivery to anyone that walks in off the street.

Just the Same as HSV with "all VXR are sold" i know of at least 2 dealerships in sydney with VXR on the lot last weekend.

MasterSti
21st December 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Jim7777777,

Yes I found them the same. Friendly & helpful up until you want to negotiate. I never buy a new car ar RRP.

I was willing to do a deal on a Golf GTi 3 door at around $38.5k which is about $3.5K- $4k under RRP including all on roads etc. They will not negotiate.

Its only a friggin VW, I think they think its a Audi or BMW or something. I guess I'm just not willing to pay $9K extra for the Golf. I was willing to pay around $4K - $5K more.

And if I did get the GTi at that price I would expect them to include a set of carpet mats for free. (cost an addition $400 to purchase, what a ripoff)

Anyway they lose my hard earned $$$$.

Shaun, the car is definately a MY07 the dealer has said they started production of the MY07 in late 2006.

Yes as you can see I'm not a brand snob and look for the best car for the $$$. I could get a GTi within 1 week but they had limited colour choice. The colour we wanted needed to be ordered from the factory & was a 3 month wait. The wait didnt concern me but I think they arent as popular as they used to be.

Anyway I'm happy with my decision and I dont need a car loan with the savings.

digifish
21st December 2006, 12:38 PM
BTW: Did you end up giving the Diesel a run?

digifish

MasterSti
21st December 2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Digifish,

Yes my wife & I had a look at one & a quick drive and I was impressed with the torque. I was really surprised with how well it goes.

Good car but I guess we liked the 3 door body of the SRi Turbo better.

I dont think my wife got the idea of a turbo diesel. She still thinks they are truck engines.

Anyway all done now & signed the contract so no going back now!

Thanks for the advice digifish.

Cheers

OPC
21st December 2006, 12:58 PM
Volkswagen owners/drivers/boyfriends are the pits...

i totally agree ;)

Red AH SRI T
21st December 2006, 01:07 PM
Hi Mr T,

Yes I think the build date will be a very late 2006 but the Aust compliance will be a 2007. It will be a MY07 model (no changes that I can see to a MY6.5).

Just when its time to sell it again sounds better to be a MY07 than MY6.5.

Does anyone know what the differences between MY6.5 & MY07 are? :confused:

Cheers

Congratulations!!!!

My car is an AH7, it has a 31/08/06 build plate and a 12/06 Compliance, so expect a september/october buld date on yours.

Only difference on SRi T's between AH6.5 and AH7's is the change in the power mirror selector button. AH6.5 had two buttons that you pressed, either left or right. AH7 has one vutton that either leans to the left or leans to the right.

SSS_Hoon
21st December 2006, 01:17 PM
congrats on your purchase man, as for the vw ppl having the ****s with you dont worry about it they are all like that not just that stealership, hell we bought one of them and they still like that with us, we waited 9months for a replacemant part to come in kept ringing and going in and still nothing, and the last service they replaced it but didnt even bother to tell us wankers they are all of them.

and as for being a brand snob i dont think so not for a VW if it were AUDI then maybe, they just have a big head as they are leading the sales here in aus for euro cars but not for long i reckon not with there attitudes and the new cars coming into the market, as even i think they are overpriced and we own one.

Its al about what you like and want and your happy and saved some cash too and got a car that is similar in everyway and most likly be just as qwik also.

yeah shaun i know there are heaps around at stealerships but they are the ones that noone wants.

tossers that talk the talk but wont walk the walk are the pits....

SSS_Hoon

MasterSti
21st December 2006, 04:10 PM
Yes well its a bugger that VW would not deal.

It was my favorite car out of all of them & I would have purchased if the price was right.

Dont car any more I have still purchased a fantastic car in the SRi.

Merry christmas

Cheers

MZ_GTi
21st December 2006, 04:35 PM
i totally agree ;)

Takes a big(small) man to edit someone else's quote so they can have a go at someone else.

Look i got my GTI from a decent salesman so i guess it all depends on where you go, and VW owners are not all the pits.

Shaun
21st December 2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Jim7777777,

Yes I found them the same. Friendly & helpful up until you want to negotiate. I never buy a new car ar RRP.

I was willing to do a deal on a Golf GTi 3 door at around $38.5k which is about $3.5K- $4k under RRP including all on roads etc. They will not negotiate.

Its only a friggin VW, I think they think its a Audi or BMW or something. I guess I'm just not willing to pay $9K extra for the Golf. I was willing to pay around $4K - $5K more.

And if I did get the GTi at that price I would expect them to include a set of carpet mats for free. (cost an addition $400 to purchase, what a ripoff)

Anyway they lose my hard earned $$$$.

Shaun, the car is definately a MY07 the dealer has said they started production of the MY07 in late 2006.

Yes as you can see I'm not a brand snob and look for the best car for the $$$. I could get a GTi within 1 week but they had limited colour choice. The colour we wanted needed to be ordered from the factory & was a 3 month wait. The wait didnt concern me but I think they arent as popular as they used to be.

Anyway I'm happy with my decision and I dont need a car loan with the savings.

I wasnt calling you a brand snob if thats what you were thinking. I was calling the VW dealerships one. I think you made the right choice. SRi T is a much more mean looking car compared to a GTi. (Sorry Mz GTi and im not calling you a brand snob either Amanda.)

OPC
21st December 2006, 06:52 PM
Takes a sexy man to edit someone else's quote so they can have a go at someone else. and VW owners are all the pits.

why thank you... but im taken...

Jackson
21st December 2006, 06:57 PM
ha ha sorry but that is pretty funny ^^^^^

rjastra
23rd December 2006, 06:57 PM
VW has one of the highest brand loyalties in Australia. Nearly at the top of the pile

Ford/Holden/Mitsubishi are at the bottom.

VW just happen to be marketing some of the best product in the segments at a reasonable price.

Mr T
3rd January 2007, 11:12 AM
VW has one of the highest brand loyalties in Australia. Nearly at the top of the pile

Ford/Holden/Mitsubishi are at the bottom.

VW just happen to be marketing some of the best product in the segments at a reasonable price.

I'm not sure where you get that from, they have only been in the country for a short time - this time. They haven't been here long enough to build any loyalites.

Toyota has the brand loyalty awards, and that is world wide. Until recently when their product line up started to have some sort of appeal who would want a boring, featureless car that drives like a boat. And yet, they are now number one in the world...!!!

I think Ford and Holden have good loyalties too...why in the world would anyone have bought an AU, or how did VY and VZ remain number 1 when it was virtually a 97 model that had been to Jenny Craig and had a bit of nip/tuck...

rjastra
3rd January 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure where you get that from, they have only been in the country for a short time - this time. They haven't been here long enough to build any loyalites.

Well, they recently did a survey of the perceptions and loyalties of people to car brands in Australia. And as I said... VW was one of the top automotive brands in Australia. Strange but true :)

And as I said previously Ford/Holden/Mitsubishi were near the bottom.

Whether they had good or bad products is not the issue. It's the public's perception about the brand that matters.

OPC
3rd January 2007, 02:18 PM
they must have done the survey in the north shore areas

rjastra
3rd January 2007, 03:39 PM
They wont negotiate at all on the Golf & XR5 due to the shortage of supply.

Mate just picked up his Golf Gti 3 door. Got it for $40K incl metallic paint. About $3000 of RRP+ORC. Seemed like a reason able deal and within his budget. Bought it on 30 Dec.

Shaun
3rd January 2007, 05:27 PM
Mate just picked up his Golf Gti 3 door. Got it for $40K incl metallic paint. About $3000 of RRP+ORC. Seemed like a reason able deal and within his budget. Bought it on 30 Dec.

Of course they would do that . End of Month and end of year. In December All Dealships struggle to meet Budget. In Car sales they Budget Units in to there figures.

rjastra
3rd January 2007, 05:40 PM
Of course they would do that .

And? I thought the point was that VW dealers don't negotiate.
Most owners on the vw forums got their GTis with some discount. Some up to $4000 off. Negotiating is a skill.

In the period we were there they sold 3 Gtis (demo, new and executive driven). They were doinga roaring trade by any measure.

blueraven
3rd January 2007, 06:06 PM
when i was looking at a polo gti (and seeing if i could squeeze it for a golf gti)..

the two salesreps i dealt with practically looked at me crosseyed when i started trying to haggle. Must be too used to having people walk in and pick the colour..go home, wait a year (thats what the wait was back then!) and come collect their car.

i doubt my negotiating skills are any better than most, but these guys wouldnt have it..nothing..not floor mats..not the first service..NOTHING. Oh well.

(thats one thing i dont know why australia hasnt embraced it yet...servicing packages. last 3 cars my dad has bought, he managed to get FREE servicing for the entire warranty period, might be because it was audi s8..but still it costs all dealerships next to nothing for servicing!!)

MasterSti
4th January 2007, 09:24 AM
Gee rjastra I tried to negotiate and offer a silly low ball figure on the 3 Door Golf GTi & expecting that the VW dealer would come back with a counter offer but not even a call back!.

I think I really offended the sales guy??? He must not get any negotiations when he sells cars. Oh well his loss.

My negotiation skills must be pretty crap? (I did ok with the holden dealer)

Was the $40k price for a brand new car (ie < 25k's on the odo) or for a demo (executive driven thrash mobile)? (Executive driven is demo)

I dont know how dealerships get away with selling demo vehicles at near new prices? If I purchased a new car & did 1-2 thousand k's and went to sell it after a few months I would lose a **** load of cash. But dealers think because 100 potential customers thrash the guts out of their demo cars they are still worth a decent amount when the go to sell them.

Demo cars are "used" cars that have had a very hard life. They should be run-in and not hitting the rev limiter at every gear change for the first few thousand k's.

Anyway I'm interested to know about the Golf GTi negotiated prices.

Cheers

MasterSTi

digifish
4th January 2007, 09:29 AM
I dont know how dealerships get away with selling demo vehicles at near new prices? If I purchased a new car & did 1-2 thousand k's and went to sell it after a few months I would lose a **** load of cash. But dealers think because 100 potential customers thrash the guts out of their demo cars they are still worth a decent amount when the go to sell them.

Anyway I'm interested to know about the Golf GTi negotiated prices.

Agreed on the prices dealers charge for 2nd hand, it's silly.

Not quite the same, but I got a 57K passat for 50k a 3 years ago. That involved them offering 53k best deal. And me saying 50, them saying no way and me saying I will sign at 50 and then starting to walk.

They do however they really do need to know you are prepared to sign there and then before you start this game.

digifish

rjastra
4th January 2007, 09:35 AM
Was the $40k price for a brand new car (ie < 25k's on the odo) or for a demo (executive driven thrash mobile)? (Executive driven is demo)

Brand spanking new.

We also rang a dealer in Woolongong and was offered a new 3 door with leather and metallic paint for the same price as a base spec. No negotiation required for that discount.

The executive driven car had 7000km on it an had leather, dsg, roof and xenons (about 10K of options) for the price a bit less than a base spec new car. Not sure what the buyer finally got it for.

My mate liked some features of the Astra SriT but hated the rearward visibility. I could have given him a $3000 holden discount but it still didn't sway him.

phat-dave
4th January 2007, 01:55 PM
My mate liked some features of the Astra SriT but hated the rearward visibility.

aint that the truth! the astra (coupe) definitely has the worse visibility of any new car !!

Red AH SRI T
9th January 2007, 05:24 PM
aint that the truth! the astra (coupe) definitely has the worse visibility of any new car !!

it ain't that bad, you just need to know how to use your mirrors properly

phat-dave
9th January 2007, 07:58 PM
i'll rephrase it for you then, the ah coupe has the worse rear window visibility

Ishley
9th January 2007, 10:25 PM
it ain't that bad, you just need to know how to use your mirrors properly

Agreed....

Wraith
10th January 2007, 09:34 AM

LOL :D If you guys think the new AH 3 door has terrible rear visibilty, you should try out the rear view visibility in a TS model Astra convertible - now that's what I would call terrible, even after years of driving one, I still have to be extremely careful - so much so that I've installed a rear view camera !!

Apex
10th January 2007, 10:30 AM
It is pretty bad at first, but you gain a feel for the cars dimensions pretty quick.

One thing I really noticed jumping in the Astra after being in my 20+ year old corolla, you really feel how big “small” cars have grown over the years.

It’s been said before, a lot of modern cars that look great, sacrifice a degree of visibility to look the way they do. Ask a women if she would give away 20% of here eye sight to look like a supermodel?:D

All that said it’s a shame Holden didn’t fit parking sensors as standard. Would love to fit some factory parking sensors if it were cheep enough do.

rjastra
10th January 2007, 02:20 PM
It’s been said before, a lot of modern cars that look great, sacrifice a degree of visibility to look the way they do. Ask a women if she would give away 20% of here eye sight to look like a supermodel?

Looks? or safety?? The limited visibility of thick pillars is due mainly to crash safety considerations.

sparks
25th January 2007, 06:02 PM
Have any of the ah sri turbo owners got remaps or mods?
Drove one yesterday felt sluggish to me even slow id be wanting mods on this to wake it up a bit...

Red AH SRI T
25th January 2007, 06:42 PM
Drove one yesterday felt sluggish to me even slow id be wanting mods on this to wake it up a bit...

Did u try pressing the "SPORT" button?

makes a big change ;)

sparks
25th January 2007, 07:49 PM
Sports button was pressed also turned off traction control did not impress me at all.

aussie_in_london
25th January 2007, 08:26 PM
Sports button was pressed also turned off traction control did not impress me at all.

and what was the milage on the car?

Shaun
26th January 2007, 04:46 AM
Sparks i have driven a AH SRi T. For a Start the go well i think . And they have a better note then the SRi T G

sparks
27th January 2007, 08:37 AM
The ah sri turbo had 15,000 km's on the clock just felt like a barina compared to my car.I have taken out a vxr also and that did nothing for me as well....

Shaun
27th January 2007, 11:24 AM
The ah sri turbo had 15,000 km's on the clock just felt like a barina compared to my car.I have taken out a vxr also and that did nothing for me as well....

Take yours back to stock and see how it feels. I would say about the same as the Current SRi T.

I have driven both. Mine has an Exhaust and thats it. The feel the same to me.

lampshade
27th January 2007, 11:25 AM
I borrowed an sriT and thought it was just as quick as my Gsi turbo, in the right hands they are a proper weapon:D Bloody nice looking in black with the irmy grill too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/lampshade1/DSC01425.jpg

Tfer
27th January 2007, 12:11 PM
Love the grille ;)

Ishley
27th January 2007, 02:07 PM
What kind o car do you have?:confused:

CNBLU
27th January 2007, 04:51 PM

remember both cars were stock..... as was yours once:p

Turblue
27th January 2007, 05:20 PM
Shame on for saying such a thing...!!!

remember both cars were stock..... as was yours once:p

CNBLU
27th January 2007, 10:30 PM
ok i must admit, i took an ah sri t for a 'test drive' and it did seem a bit sluggish.... a little better with the 'sport mode' on but didnt 'wow' me none the less... having said that im sure with an ecu re-map, fmic and other things done to it this car could potentially be 'very fast'. overall i think its a great buy, value for money for its class. maybe considering buying one myself. just trying to find the change over price for mine.:dance:

(my 2 cents worth):clap:

sparks
28th January 2007, 08:33 AM
No need for every one to get the rags on im giving my opinion on the car thats it.Stock there not impressive at all maybe thats why gm have got heaps of stock floating around be lucky if they sell 500 of these.

Remember one thing a remap for this car isn't going to be a lunch time special of $400 it would be more like $1,000 then add $1,500 for a decent exhaust not a red back system then go get a intercooler made up and fabricated to suit the car add another $1,000 easy.I think the people who own the cars would be still paying the banks off.....

Apex
28th January 2007, 12:41 PM

Mine goes good, hardly a Lancer Evo but defiantly not slow. I have done a few minor mods exhaust intake etc, and once the car clocks up a few more kilometers Im going to get it re-mapped.

What’s the deal with your car sparks, bit of a dragster is it? :eh:

Turblue
28th January 2007, 12:45 PM
Take my word for it...

When you have done:
- Intercooler,
- Full exhaust,
- Remap,
- Better intake

The car is a hell of a lot better. Smoother and much more powerful.

aussie_in_london
28th January 2007, 11:11 PM
15,000km is hardly bedded in on these engines, in the UK we are finding most dont start freeing up until around 12,000 plus miles (approx 20,000 km) we have also found in the VXR's case it needs to be driven hard and given plenty of stick from almost the word go, makes for a much different experience!

Mr T
30th January 2007, 12:36 PM
15,000km is hardly bedded in on these engines, in the UK we are finding most dont start freeing up until around 12,000 plus miles (approx 20,000 km) we have also found in the VXR's case it needs to be driven hard and given plenty of stick from almost the word go, makes for a much different experience!

Thats very true...but consider that the AH is over 100KG heavier...!!!

Apex
30th January 2007, 12:58 PM
Astra G Sri Turbo-1280kg Astra H Turbo-1360kg so 80kg difference.

On paper stock performance is same from most tests iv seen, keeping in mind the stock Sri H has more torque and a 6-speed.

Would be good to line the two up and see what happens.:)